shape
carat
color
clarity

Any good diamond shopping tips for Europe?

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
In July we will be going travelling through Europe - Rome, Florence, Venice, Germany, Belgium, London and finally Paris. Can anyone offer any advice on the best places to shop for jewellery/Diamonds. Has anyone every purchased in the Diamond District - Antwerp?

Seriously thinking of purchasing a Trinity ring in Paris as a momento of our holiday. Would love to hear of your experiences and any
favourite shops you came across on your travels. :wavey:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnyjay|1400504762|3675925 said:
In July we will be going travelling through Europe - Rome, Florence, Venice, Germany, Belgium, London and finally Paris. Can anyone offer any advice on the best places to shop for jewellery/Diamonds. Has anyone every purchased in the Diamond District - Antwerp?

Seriously thinking of purchasing a Trinity ring in Paris as a momento of our holiday. Would love to hear of your experiences and any

Hi Monny, nice to see you!

I would suggest contacting Dr Indira Marchant in London, this is her business - http://www.bestdiamonds.co.uk/,, but she does not run a store and you would need to make an appointment. She also operates out of Antwerp, she has sold Infinity diamonds in the past, but I am not sure if she still does, I will need to check on that.

There is Crafted By Infinity itself in Belgium, you would need to contact them also to make an appointment.

http://www.craftedbyinfinity.com/

Apart from that, I am not familiar with any other businesses in the countries you mention but I am sure if you have something specific in mind, the Infinity team might be able to point you in the right direction or source what you are looking for.

I hope the above gives you a place to begin and I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Hey Monny!

So purchasing in Europe can be great, but also has it's pains too!
Be forewarned then when you buy goods in Europe you get a VAT tax of 18%. When you go to the airport you can turn in the VAT form and get your 18% back (took about 8 weeks), but then pending what you spend you might have to declare the value upon entering the US and get taxed. I want to say you have to declare goods over 10k USD.

If you are going to Paris I love the idea of getting a Trinity ring!!!! Two years ago when I was in Rome with my DH we went to Cartier and purchased a Love Bracelet at the Spanish steps. The manager was so kind and popped a bottle of champagne for us when he found out the Love was a birthday present. it really made the whole experience for me. I now have so many fond memories of that trip and think about it often when I look at my Love! So hence I'm all for commemorating with the trinity. I heard their new flagship store in Paris on the Champs is supposed to be gorgeous! The ring might even be cheaper to buy in Paris (after you get back your VAT) then in the US.

The Florence Cartier was a no nothing store. Just in a busy shopping district and small. I would pass on going there. Same with Germany...well pending what town. So if you are going to look for a great store in a beautiful area I recommend Rome (Spanish Steps) or Paris.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei|1400508725|3675962 said:
Monnyjay|1400504762|3675925 said:

Hi Monny, nice to see you!

I would suggest contacting Dr Indira Marchant in London, this is her business - http://www.bestdiamonds.co.uk/,,, but she does not run a store and you would need to make an appointment. She also operates out of Antwerp, she has sold Infinity diamonds in the past, but I am not sure if she still does, I will need to check on that.

There is Crafted By Infinity itself in Belgium, you would need to contact them also to make an appointment.

http://www.craftedbyinfinity.com/

Apart from that, I am not familiar with any other businesses in the countries you mention but I am sure if you have something specific in mind, the Infinity team might be able to point you in the right direction or source what you are looking for.

I hope the above gives you a place to begin and I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Welcome back stranger, how are you Lorelei - you disappeared for a while. Glad your back. Thank you so much for your helpful hints and info. I haven't got anything in particular in mind, but you just never know. Always good to know the trusted vendors amongst the sharks :bigsmile:

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1400510969|3675982 said:
Hey Monny!

So purchasing in Europe can be great, but also has it's pains too!
Be forewarned then when you buy goods in Europe you get a VAT tax of 18%. When you go to the airport you can turn in the VAT form and get your 18% back (took about 8 weeks), but then pending what you spend you might have to declare the value upon entering the US and get taxed. I want to say you have to declare goods over 10k USD.

If you are going to Paris I love the idea of getting a Trinity ring!!!! Two years ago when I was in Rome with my DH we went to Cartier and purchased a Love Bracelet at the Spanish steps. The manager was so kind and popped a bottle of champagne for us when he found out the Love was a birthday present. it really made the whole experience for me. I now have so many fond memories of that trip and think about it often when I look at my Love! So hence I'm all for commemorating with the trinity. I heard their new flagship store in Paris on the Champs is supposed to be gorgeous! The ring might even be cheaper to buy in Paris (after you get back your VAT) then in the US.

The Florence Cartier was a no nothing store. Just in a busy shopping district and small. I would pass on going there. Same with Germany...well pending what town. So if you are going to look for a great store in a beautiful area I recommend Rome (Spanish Steps) or Paris.

Thank's so much SB621 for your input. I don't know much about the VAT charges on purchases, we have GST here in Australia. I do know that if you purchase prior to your departure you don't pay GST (Goods & Services Tax) which is 10%.

I love your Cartier story, how lovely! It must have been a big surprise for the store owner to pop a bottle of champagne. What great memories you and your DH have. (I have a birthday to celebrate whilst away too and will be in Paris - so I thought a Trinity ring would be nice, or you never know what else I might find :naughty: Looking forward to seeing those Spanish steps amongst all the other beautiful landmarks :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend Rob van Beurden and his team at Antwerp Diamond House: http://www.antwerpdiamondhouse.be/index.htm, where I went to get my EC in 2004.

I contacted him to let him know what I was looking for, in terms of shape and budget, and he arranged for 3 diamonds for me to inspect on the arranged date of our meeting at his office, and he went through the pros and cons for each one, for me to decide on the one I liked most, then arranged for the ring to be set by his team etc...

Very satisfactory buying experience.

DK :))

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnyjay|1400583127|3676627 said:
[

Welcome back stranger, how are you Lorelei - you disappeared for a while. Glad your back. Thank you so much for your helpful hints and info. I haven't got anything in particular in mind, but you just never know. Always good to know the trusted vendors amongst the sharks :bigsmile:

Hi Monny, I'm good thanks. I did indeed disappear for quite a while, life kind of got in the way but it's very nice to be back. Always good to have an open mind with diamond shopping, you never know what might pop up... :tongue:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Working on the supposition that you might like vintage jewelry, I will say that as far as I can tell, different European countries have completely different attitudes towards vintage. England and France? Gorgeous stuff, generally priced on the higher end of retail by American standards, because they know what they have and they know just how rare and wonderful and valuable it is (occasional specific dealers with amazing pricing aside ... and those are well worth hunting down). The Scandinavian nations, on the other hand? Generally no interest in vintage, which makes it, a) hard to find, but, b) cheap when you do. Saw practically nothing at all in Italy, though the new jewels are amazing (visit Buccellati!!!).

In London, check out Grays Antique Center, and don't miss Portobello Road. And make a special side trip to Tadema Gallery (some days of the week, there's also a little flea market in Camden Passage). Ooo, and check out the Burlington Arcade! And don't miss Wartski!

Now I miss London. ;(

Paris I don't know nearly as well, but I do remember an amazing stretch on the Rue St. Honore that was amaaaaaaaaaaaazing, some of the loveliest antique pieces I've seen outside of museums. And their museum of Arts and Crafts had a wonderful permanent gallery with a huge selection of Lalique.

Will rack my brains and see what else I can remember ....

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank's Circe for helpful pointers. I am not looking for anything in particular i.e Vintage or modern, just know that if I see something I absolutely love I won't hesitate to buy.

Portobello markets sound great, have been told about how good it is - hopefully we will get there.

Sorry for making you homesick :((

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1400586936|3676656 said:
I would recommend Rob van Beurden and his team at Antwerp Diamond House: http://www.antwerpdiamondhouse.be/index.htm, where I went to get my EC in 2004.

I contacted him to let him know what I was looking for, in terms of shape and budget, and he arranged for 3 diamonds for me to inspect on the arranged date of our meeting at his office, and he went through the pros and cons for each one, for me to decide on the one I liked most, then arranged for the ring to be set by his team etc...

Very satisfactory buying experience.

DK :))

+1: I can really recommend Rob van Beurden and his team from Diamond House in the real diamond district in Antwerp. Beware of the overpriced stores of the fake diamond district.

Dr Indira Marchant in London used to work together with Diamond House Antwerp, but I believe she stepped out of the diamond business and the London branch is now also operated by Diamond House. You could ask Rob to be sure.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1400677565|3677391 said:
I

Dr Indira Marchant in London used to work together with Diamond House Antwerp, but I believe she stepped out of the diamond business and the London branch is now also operated by Diamond House. You could ask Rob to be sure.

Yes, I checked on that and I was saddened to hear Indira is no longer involved with the industry, but absolutely Rob v B has a sterling reputation and anyone working with him would be in excellent hands.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lorelei|1400681953|3677436 said:
Acinom|1400677565|3677391 said:
I

Yes, I checked on that and I was saddened to hear Indira is no longer involved with the industry, but absolutely Rob v B has a sterling reputation and anyone working with him would be in excellent hands.

Just wanted to confirm that Indira in London has indeed retired, but that her office is run through the team of DiamondHouse. In essence, it is the same operation, only Indira as the front-woman is missing. Their most useful website is probably this one: http://www.fortrez.com/

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the clarification Paul!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results