shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Ralph Lauren Ad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that''s ridiculous, in fact it''s laughable, can''t RL ad exec''s, or whoever comes up with these ad''s, see how ridiculous this looks?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Ralph clearly has issues. If he can''t design clothes that look good on regular women, or even the gorgeous skinny models that he uses, then maybe it is time for him to put the bolts away and hang up the scissors.
I wonder if he would even photoshop Victoria Beckham?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe RL is designing for Bratz Dolls!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
That''s just gross. Clearly RL has some issues.

14.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I doubt this is really a RL photo. It is a very amateurish Photoshop job and looks cartoon-like. The person who worked on that photo is not very good. The pants are definitely worked over and more illustration than photography.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you guys see that the model from the other infamous photo was fired-theoretically for "being too fat" back in April?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
THat picture is totally laughable!!!
Look at the hand which carries the clutch, it is as big as her photoshopped thigh!!!
Hmmmm..... Chocolate....................

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I don''t understand the need for photoshopping till they have such weird proportions.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before this thread gets closed like the TLH''s thread about the model being fired, I''ll say the same thing I did in TLH''s thread: I used to buy Ralph Lauren clothes from time to time (although, fortunately, I don''t own any right now), but Ralph Lauren has lost my business. Forever. Shame on him!
38.gif

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Everyone wants to believe what they see
33.gif
and make issues of it.

Two threads have been closed because of this. If this thread goes into weight, body image, etc. it too will be closed.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
It is a shame that photoshopping has been taking to such extremes that it would totally change the appearance of already stikingly beautiful women. It is a shame that a tool is now being used with such liberties, that is can totally change the appearance of a person. I guess the question is where to draw the line, if in the editing room, they are unable to exercise propper judgement.

Sad to see this was not a one time mistake from RL - and that it appears to be a trend.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
At this point, I''m mainly disgusted with RL. The fact that the feel a need to promote things like this is sad, as is the idea of them firing that model. They''ve lost my business.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never worn a single RL item in my life.

That said, WHY is this being brought up yet again when the other two threads have been closed *for a reason*?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 11:54:22 AM
Author: MC

That said, WHY is this being brought up yet again when the other two threads have been closed *for a reason*?

When I see these images it doesn''t make me think of skinny, too skinny, anorexia,ect. What it does make me think of is the deliberate distortion of women''s bodies in the media, and why. I actually don''t see these threads being started as an attack on skinny people because these images are so blatantly fictitious looking.
Of course, as with all opinionated threads, comments can get out of control, and that is unfortunate. But I really do not believe that this is the purpose of these threads. To me, it is more about the *WHY?*.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I actually think these ads are amusing... I mean who would actually think they depict reality??? They are so grossly unreal!

I agree that they are tasteless and RL has some issues... and I am sure there are other designers that PS their models down several sizes (but have better PS skills...).

Honestly its just wacky!
40.gif
37.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
This is actually the most extreme I''ve ever seen in PS alterations. It makes me sad that this company thought this would be ok. Their top people have to OK these ads before they go out.
7.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Seriously?

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not saying it is right or wrong or gross or attractive. I have a very strong opinion on this subject but will not post it.

What I find shocking is that they couldn''t find someone who knows how to use PhotoShop. How hard is it to hire someone with the skills to do the job if that is what they want?

My grandfather PSes his pictures. (he photographs his roses) He''s 70+ years old and can barely use a computer but he has the greatest looking pictures. His PS skills are GREAT.

(not suggesting my grandfather for the job, just pointing out that there are talented PS people out there)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2009 12:54:48 PM
Author: iluvcarats

When I see these images it doesn''t make me think of skinny, too skinny, anorexia,ect. What it does make me think of is the deliberate distortion of women''s bodies in the media, and why. I actually don''t see these threads being started as an attack on skinny people because these images are so blatantly fictitious looking.
Of course, as with all opinionated threads, comments can get out of control, and that is unfortunate. But I really do not believe that this is the purpose of these threads. To me, it is more about the *WHY?*.
Thank you, Iluvcarats . . . VERY well said!
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Two threads about the same subject were closed within the course of one week due to this matter having been esculated out of control. Even if unintentional, people stated their comments in such a way that it led to some being offended OR annoyed. I''m guessing that this led to the "report abuse" button in both threads and now here we are waiting for it to happen yet again.

Both threads already attempted to discuss the "why," of the ads, yet failed. What makes anyone feel this thread will escape the same fate?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
MC you are the only one who is repeatedly bringing it up at this point, while others have simply expressed disgust at the company.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Wow- unbelievable!! THIS is the kind of look that they want young, impressionable women to aspire to?
38.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
With the first image, I thought they were intentionally making her look big-headed, like those Candy''s ads that were out awhile back, at least until I saw the article where RL took responsibility for the image (sort of). This one actually looks more ridiculous, though.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock

I just wanted to apologize to the moderators and the rest of you. I remember seeing the first thread when it was first posted, but I was totally unaware that it got closed and that another thread was brought up again and closed. I am not on PS all the time and feel terrible that I may have riled some feathers by bringing this new picture to light after the topic obviously caused some controversy in the first place. I should do my research in the future. Again, my apologies.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 2:49:21 PM

Two threads about the same subject were closed within the course of one week due to this matter having been esculated out of control. Even if unintentional, people stated their comments in such a way that it led to some being offended OR annoyed. I''m guessing that this led to the ''report abuse'' button in both threads and now here we are waiting for it to happen yet again.

Both threads already attempted to discuss the ''why,'' of the ads, yet failed. What makes anyone feel this thread will escape the same fate?
This thread seems to have remained quite civil. I wasn''t aware that the others had escalated out of control, but I really don''t understand your preemptive strike. So far anyway, this thread has proven the skeptics wrong, and to take the ad campaign of Ralph Lauren personally leaves me perplexed
33.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 2:57:18 PM
Author: dragonfly411
MC you are the only one who is repeatedly bringing it up at this point, while others have simply expressed disgust at the company.
Reread Ali's post who posted before me about this being a touchy topic. So, I'm not the only one who brought up again (how this topic caused two threads to be closed) and the only reason I am is for consideration of others. When two other threads are closed, clearly there is the potential for a problem to occur again.

Anway, moving on. . .(hmmm. . .what new goodies are up in the SMTR forum
2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results