shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Fawn Born in Our Back Yard

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Not more than 24 hrs old. Very very tiny, kind of prances on spider legs. We watched Mom nurse it this afternoon, its little tail flipping back & forth. Our yard is fenced with woods at the back -- the does jump the fence to nurse & check on babies, then leave so predators don't find them. Today she left this little guy in the open & he's (she?) curled up in the corner where the fence meets the house, waiting for dinner. Unusual -- they always park babies in underbrush in the woods & tell them to stay put. Kind of a negligent mama.

This is the 4th year we've had fawns born here. Will open the gate & let mom take it out with her in a few days when it can be a little speedier. Loose dogs (no leash laws), foxes, coyotes, and cars are a danger for traveling children. Wish I could cuddle it! We never interact with the fawns -- last thing they need is to lose their fear of humans. Anyway, I'm a grandmother!

--- Laurie

day-old_fawn_6-14.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet Sweet SWEET!
and congrats, grandma!
you are a very good one, too!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMGosh...it's beautiful! How lucky you are to have them born right there where you can see them! My daughter would
just die to have that little thing around our house!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwww. Congratulations! :appl:

We live in town and not super, super close to any woods, but we have deer in our yard munching away a bunch. Usually around 4:30-5:30 or 6 and then they will head down the road to wherever. They are so pretty and fun to watch. One morning a couple youngins stayed well after the sun had come up, without a seeming care in the world. So I sat with my coffee in front of the picture window watching them. They started nibbling on the tree trunk. Not down by the ground where some moss might grow, but way up. Not sure what they were getting off it. Have you ever seen them do that JF?

And thanks for the precious pic!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most beautiful grandchild I've ever seen! Haha

Adorable. Love what you said about not wanting them to lose their fear of humans.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww!
I'm dying here. :love: :love: :love:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cute. How lucky to be able to have them come to your yard!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fawn is darling, but looks so much older than 24 hours because s/he is so alert! I just can't get used to those open eyes. I expect newborns to be sleepy! What a true wonder! Thank you for sharing, Laurie!

Deb

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Made my day! :love:

cheers--Sharon

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a gift to be able to watch that! Thank you for sharing! :appl:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
uch an a orable little chmoo!

for cale' ake are the brick regular brick ize

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Adorable baby! Lovely to have that bit of nature right in your backyard :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
The fawn is darling, but looks so much older than 24 hours because s/he is so alert! I just can't get used to those open eyes. I expect newborns to be sleepy! What a true wonder! !

Deb

I think prey animals are different from predators, Deb. I watched a fawn in the yard a few years ago from just after birth -- like a minute after. I saw a very pregnant doe & commented to DH, "She doesn't look like she feels very good." Kind of green around the gills. Turned away to grab binoculars, turned back & there was a fawn on the ground. I see why they used the term "dropping" one!

They struggle to their feet immediately after being cleaned off & totter on long toothpick legs to nurse. It's adorable -- move one leg, then another, like, "Now, how do you use these things?" Like someone figuring out walking on stilts.

For the 1st couple of days they have no scent so predators can't find them -- mama hides them & stays away except to nurse them, so as not to lead criminals to them. Their legs at this point really look like spider legs -- loooong & they walk with their knees bent; the bones may not have hardened yet. Within 3 days the legs straighten out like regular deer legs. But I think they must be alert in order to keep from becoming a meal more than, say, dogs or tigers.

Another sad thing -- and surprising -- is that if food is extremely scarce (after weaning), the mother will eat first. Deer will let babies starve to death if they must choose between their own survival & their fawns'. Must be because the mortality rate for fawns is high, with predators around, and the adult must survive to replenish the herd. Heartbreaking, though. Nature ain't a nice guy!

--- Laurie

P.S. VL -- "for cale' ake are the brick regular brick ize"-- huh???

justginger

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1402055666|3687673 said:
AGBF said:
The fawn is darling, but looks so much older than 24 hours because s/he is so alert! I just can't get used to those open eyes. I expect newborns to be sleepy! What a true wonder! !

Deb

I think prey animals are different from predators, Deb. I watched a fawn in the yard a few years ago from just after birth -- like a minute after. I saw a very pregnant doe & commented to DH, "She doesn't look like she feels very good." Kind of green around the gills. Turned away to grab binoculars, turned back & there was a fawn on the ground. I see why they used the term "dropping" one!

They struggle to their feet immediately after being cleaned off & totter on long toothpick legs to nurse. It's adorable -- move one leg, then another, like, "Now, how do you use these things?" Like someone figuring out walking on stilts.

For the 1st couple of days they have no scent so predators can't find them -- mama hides them & stays away except to nurse them, so as not to lead criminals to them. Their legs at this point really look like spider legs -- loooong & they walk with their knees bent; the bones may not have hardened yet. Within 3 days the legs straighten out like regular deer legs. But I think they must be alert in order to keep from becoming a meal more than, say, dogs or tigers.

Another sad thing -- and surprising -- is that if food is extremely scarce (after weaning), the mother will eat first. Deer will let babies starve to death if they must choose between their own survival & their fawns'. Must be because the mortality rate for fawns is high, with predators around, and the adult must survive to replenish the herd. Heartbreaking, though. Nature ain't a nice guy!

--- Laurie

P.S. VL -- "for cale' ake are the brick regular brick ize"-- huh???

VL's keyboard has been doused with tea and I think the middle left keys aren't working. I suspect the question is: for scale's sake, are the bricks regular brick size? :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ginger, I am laughing so hard! You speak all kinds of foreign languages! And you have keyboard ESP. :lol:

Yeah, I guess they're regular size. This little fellow doesn't come more than halfway to my knee. He is bitty.

I got an email from a neighbor this a.m. that she saw a red fox lurking around the outside of our fencing yesterday aft. Oh crap!

--- Laurie

justginger

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1402061024|3687719 said:
Ginger, I am laughing so hard! You speak all kinds of foreign languages! And you have keyboard ESP. :lol:

Yeah, I guess they're regular size. This little fellow doesn't come more than halfway to my knee. He is bitty.

I got an email from a neighbor this a.m. that she saw a red fox lurking around the outside of our fencing yesterday aft. Oh crap!

--- Laurie

As much as I would love to be remembered for all of time as the keyboard whisperer, alas - I am not. Check out the last page of the 'I just wanna say' random comments thread. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, now I get it! Glad VL hasn't lost his marbles, just his tea.

In the meantime, for VL, I took a couple photos just now that give more perspective on this baby's weeny size. Little snot has returned to the corner by the fence -- wasn't there earlier, so mom left her (him) in a smarter place but he didn't stay put. This is so exposed, with a fox pussyfooting the perimeter, it gives me the creeps. Our fence is only 4' high & can be easily jumped by said kidnapper.

Anyway, at first I didn't spot the fawn, even knowing he (she) was there, so very little. The "wall" behind is the chimney, so he's in the corner where the chimney meets the house wall. Bricks are average garden-variety bricks.

baby_deer_2_6-14_2nd_day.jpg

baby_deer_6-14_2nd_day.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cutie, and like most children, apparently doesn't follow mum's instructions too well. :nono: :bigsmile:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
How precious!
and good for you with leaving it be!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is tempting every time we have these guys to pet them, play with them, cuddle them! We never even approach them, mostly stay out of the back yard so they remain afraid of people for their own preservation. Not only them! My garden desperately needs work in back & I planned to use a rare cool day today for it. Not. Don't want to scare Mama Doe from coming in to feed the baby. At this early age they get fed 3 or 4 times/day. So I get some time off.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
Did you know that Audrey Hepburn had a fawn as a pet? She even took it to the grocery store in Beverly Hills. Can't seem to grab the picture but if you google Audrey Hepburn with fawn you get a bunch of sweet photos. What a beautiful Bambi!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love these pictures. Thank you for sharing more!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results