shape
carat
color
clarity

Another cat thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
My bf and I are considering adopting a kitten or cat. Several questions for you cat lovers out there:

I love cats, more so than dogs. I love how they can be affectionate and independent at the same time. There are several concerns that we do have prior to making the decision to adopt. I know that cats need to scratch in order to keep their claws in good working order. I''ve also read that it helps them destress. My concern with scratching is our new couch. How many of you cat owners have a problem with your cat(s) scratching the furniture?

The location of the litterbox. If we do adopt, I''m planning to place the litterbox in the office, away from the kitchen and living room, because we have an open floor plan in the front of the house. How much of a mess will the litter be? We have carpet in the office. Should I place a scratching mat right outside of the litterbox to prevent litter from being tracked all over our house?

Houseplants. We have quite a few houseplants. I''ve read that plants are toxic to cats. Is this true?

My bf works all day, and when I go back to work, I''ll pretty much be gone all day too. Would adopting an older cat be better than a kitten? How much attention does a kitten need in order to prevent behavioral problems?

I really would love a cat in our household, but I want to be sure that we are ready for one. All comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Cinders
35.gif

I will try to help as best I can.

Scratching - serves many purposes, those of exercising muscles, shedding old claw sheaths, scent marking etc, it is a very natural behaviour. Now I have many cats and have had for years and I wish there was a foolproof way of stopping them from scratching furniture! I have read if you do a search, some PSers have used glue on claw covers which might be an option if you eventually end up with a diehard sofa shredder! Best way is to get a decent post which is sturdy and won't fall over when the cat uses it - most are useless as the cat scratches and it topples over. Also when you get your cat or kitten, teach him to use the post for example when he wakes from a nap, take him to the post and rub his paws on it. If he decides he still prefers your nice Davenport
6.gif
, tell him NO and grab him and encourage him to use the post. Keep going with the training, it can take a while.

Litter - your arrangement sounds fine as cats hate doing their business in a busy area. Some cats like a closed in litter box with a roof and high sides, this keeps much of the litter in, but you can get a " welcome" mat to put by the entrance. Above all keep it clean and this will avoid many litter box related problems in future.

Plants and Flowers - I do know that lilies of all types are very toxic to cats, even the pollen so none of these in vases. Best thing would be to use Google and research which plants are toxic as many are. Poinsettas are as one I can think of. Best to do your homework on this thoroughly, I don't have any plants in the house but that is a bit extreme! Antifreeze is very toxic to cats - keep it away. Also Lysol can be deadly, don't use it.

What cat to get... - if you were to get a kitten, really two would be best if you and your BF are out all day. A kitten would be happier with a companion IMO. But adopting an older cat from a shelter would be a great thing to do. There are many wonderful cats looking for a home, you might find this is a good way to go - an older cat might be a bit easier plus you would be saving a life.

I hope some of this helps.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! That''s very helpful, thank you!
1.gif
It sounds like an older cat would be better for us, since we definitely want only one cat for now. Maybe we''ll adopt a kitten later, after we get married and have children, and when the children want their own pet.

I''m probably going to stop by the SPCA tomorrow and spend time with some of the cats that they have at the shelter, so I can ask the volunteers about the personality types of the cats they have there. I would love a lap cat, one that''s more mellow, rather than a playful one.

And how Lysol is deadly? Is it the bleach in it? I use Clorox and other cleaning agents in my home, but they''re all shut away in cabinets and such.

Again, thanks, and what time is it in Britain? I thought I was the only one still up!
3.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Cinderella,

I concur with everything that Lorelei has said. She is the ''super woman'' of cats.

I have had cats since I was a small girl and currently I have one Himalayan and two British Shorthairs. They are all wonderful. Personalities can be so different and I therefore suggest it''s a great idea to go to the SPCA and check out the candidates available. It might also be worth asking if you can ''foster'' a kitten or cat, so you can see how it goes and how the animal fits in with you and your lifestyle. I agree with Lorelei that having two is so much better than one. I used to always have one cat, but when I set up home in my late teens, I took two (kittens (sisters) from the RSPCA in the UK. I had only intended to have one, but they came as a pair as one was blind in one eye and was used to its sister being around. You should have seen how they played together, ate together and slept together. I had no qualms about leaving them on their own during the day because they had each other. It''s wonderful to watch how they interact. Once you have one cat, two is really no different, just a bit of extra food and vaccinations. They are great company for you and for each other.

The only additional comment I have re scratching. It''s hard to know whether a cat will scratch, but it''s a good idea to have a scratching post very close to where the cat sleeps. If you think about it, whenever you see a cat wake up, it immediately wants to stretch out and flex its claws. It''s more likely to do it on a cat scratcher if it is close by. Another good scratching item is a hessian door mat, cats seem to love to scratch on those. There are sprays that are a deterent, which you could possibly consider using on your sofa if you need to.

Whether you decide on a kitten or an adult cat, I''m sure you can find the right one for your situation. GOOD LUCK and fire away with more questions if you need to. There are many cat experts on this forum, including the queen of cat experts, Lorelei.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He - it is almost 9.30 am! As far as I can recall, Lysol has phenolic compounds in it which cats can absorb through their paws and it is very toxic. This is according to my training a while back, maybe ecf will be able to confirm. Anyway don't use it around the cats, on the litter box to disinfect etc, beware of using it on countertops as the cat can walk on it and absorb it that way.

Awww - shucks - thanks Min for the compliment
19.gif

Here we go - just what the new cat owner needs. Try this link. It does indeed say that Lysol is toxic plus other things to watch out for. Also no good old Pinesol either! Don't be daunted by the list of things to watch out for, it becomes second nature after a while!

http://www.cathealth.com/Tox.htm

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, I feel a bit embarrassed.... I have never ever thought about the products we use around the house as far as cats are concerned except the kitchen floor cleaner. You link is a real eye opener
23.gif
. I''ve had cats for over 30 years and haven''t lost a single one to anything poisonous, they''ve generally passed away through old age. I hate to admit I''ve had fresh lillies in the house on occasion for the past 9 years without problems. Have I just been very lucky? Looking at the list makes me freak out and think I can''t have any cats, but my sensible head just thinks we shouldn''t be too paranoid, but should try and eliminate as many of the toxic things as we can, but don''t go overboard, just be sensible with what is lying around, used on the floors and given to your pet.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Min. This was all drummed into me when I was doing the veterinary section of college years ago with my animal care course and it tends to make you a bit overcautious. But it is good to be aware of what can be dangerous and to keep it away from the cats, but you can't know it all and most of the time we are lucky and other times tragedies can happen. Basically the real nasties are antifreeze which cats can lap owing to the sweet taste, Lysol based disinfectants, plants etc but to not go overboard. I wouldn't have known about the lilies except that in the Mirror a Siamese cat died due to eating lilies and the dropped pollen, this is a little known toxin it seems. But as you say, the moral is to be aware but not go too mad with it.

I think that many of us experienced cat and dog owners are subconsciously careful anyway when cleaning around our pets. For example I bleach my sink which is an old fashioned enamel Belfast, but I close the kitchen door when I am doing it. Likewise with washing the floor, the cats are shut out until it is dry and I use a safe cleaner such as Lemon Flash. They are not allowed in the bathrooms due to the heavy duty cleaners and bleaches etc - I suppose it is like a human parent protecting their child, it becomes part of the routine and it will for Cinders too.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Great advice!!!

And I think it's fab that you are really thinking this out Cindarella. You will make a great cat mommy indeed!

I love the roofed cat boxes. It *really* cuts down on litter...and a small littler rug outside of it helps to trap the litter....

I keep a TALL scratching post in EVERY room of the house. They love it. They leave my furniture alone. When I threw the old ones out and was not quick to replace them...well, I learned my lesson. I also clip the pawsies every 1 -2 weeks and find it helps....they do like to claw on my tufted rug though. Hmmmm. Well, they really hold up so it's ok...

I prefer to adopt a slightly older cat...My Gracie and Vinny were about 1 year...and Scotty about 3. They were all shelter cats. I could see their personalities right away. I knew what I was getting. The minute I held my Vinny like a baby...and he buried his head in my arms and purred and kissed me and let me hold him for 1/2 hour as we walked around the shelter- I knew I had a love bug. Scotty too. What a mush. Dare I say one of the best cats on the planet! LOL...He's really a dog I think! :) Gracie is a tad shy but I knew that....

The only thing I can say is to have them re-tested by a vet. My Scotty was tested at the shelter but he later came back FIV positive...He is a very sick cat...but he's the exception to the rule. And I would still have adopted him in any event. He is truly amazing in every way. Every day with him is a joy. A blessing indeed...

Best of luck :)

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
May I suggest adopting two kitties and not just one? My husband and I got our first shortly after we got married and she was an absolute terror until we got our second one. It was only after we brought #2 home that we realized we should have gotten two to begin with. I also understand your concerns about the scratching your furniture. Our solution was to have our cats totally declawed - front and back. I know - it''s mean, cruel, etc., BUT we cannot reasonably afford to buy new furniture every year because the cats have wrecked it. The procedure was done while they are young and they recovered just fine with no lasting effects. We also use a top-entry litter box. Basically, it''s a box with high sides and has a lid on top that has a circular hole in it for the cats to use to get in and out. They seem to like it and it keeps litter spillage to a minimum. We keep the box in our spare room on an old rug, which is vaccumed often. We don''t have any houseplants so we don''t have to worry about that - though I''m sure the cats would eat them if we had them. LOL. Good luck with the kitty!
-Grace
26.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I''m so jealous you''re going to be getting a new kitty-cat!!! I am desperate to adopt another, but must wait til we''re in a house, because my fiance''s apartment doesn''t allow pets... Maya will have to be disguised as what the real estate agents here call "fur-plants" when I move in with him in a few months.
2.gif

Great advice so far, just thought I''d throw some more ideas out there:

SCRATCHING -- I have several scratching posts for Maya distributed around the living room, and she uses them all religiously and rarely touches the carpet. Leather furniture is great because she has no desire to scratch it, and her shedding fur doesn''t stick to it. I LOVE watching her scratch on her posts... you can see all the sleek little muscles working... almost like having a mini wild panther in the house.
1.gif

LITTER -- I keep my litter box in the linen closet beside the bathroom, because I use flushable litter and it is convenient to just scoop it right into the toilet. I would definitely recommend flushable if you hadn''t considered it already... World''s Best Cat Litter is a great, high-quality brand.

FOOD -- I''ve done a ton of reading on cat nutrition, and discovered that dry grocery-store brand food (Friskies, etc) is almost like serving your child McDonald''s 3 meals a day. (There is some variation in the British formulas of these foods... tend to be better quality for some reason.) But there are a lot of better quality brands out there, available at more specialized pet stores or online. Wet food is best, but if your cat refuses to eat it (like mine)... dry can be much more convenient... just make sure you get a good brand: Innova, Wellness, Felidae, Natural Balance are some good names to check out. Pet Food Direct is a great website for ordering food, litter, etc... I have it shipped right to my apartment regularly, and they run coupons all the time.

WHICH TO CHOOSE -- Love the idea of getting a slightly older cat, because you really get a sense for their personality that way. Nearly all kittens are cute and playful and cuddly, but not all adult cats turn out that way... it''s nice to be able to match up with the right cat based on their adult personality. Getting two is really no more difficult than getting one (I wish I''d gotten two... when Maya was young I felt terrible leaving her alone all day or going away for the weekend)... but one is fine too... whatever suits you. Either way you are gaining a new member of the family and saving a life... I''m so jealous!! And please please please post pix when you bring your new baby home!!!
30.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I won't get too deeply into the declawing issue... but in the interest of presenting both sides of the story... it is far beyond "mean". Many countries (but not the US yet
29.gif
) have actually made it illegal, due to the intensity of the pain and suffering and lasting side effects that we do not necessarily realize as owners, and clearly fit the definition of "cruelty to animals". "Declawing" surgery actually removes the entire top joint of the paw... equivalent to amputing a person's finger below the first knuckle. This can leave the cat with phantom pain in their legs for the rest of their lives, similar to a human amputation patient. There is also some evidence pointing to irreversible heart damage in cats that are unable to exercise the muscles leading from their claws to their chest. And vets and animal shelters will share with you that most "behavior issues" they see related to litter box problems, biting, and aggression are found in cats that were declawed. There is plenty more.

I only know all this because I was SERIOUSLY considering having Maya declawed when I first got her... thank GOD I researched the issue first. I came to the belief that if my furniture was that important to me, then I was choosing to adopt a cat for the wrong reasons and would do just as well with a nice, non-destructive goldfish.
2.gif

Suffice it to say, if you're considering declawing as an option... please do some research first. A simple search for "declawing" should turn up all sorts of info... just be careeful... I wept for days after seeing the pictures and reading the stories.
7.gif
Good place to start (written by a vet): http://www.declawing.com/.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes older cats have emotional baggage. We got both our cats at 5 weeks. One was a stray (there is a thread all about him on here somewhere), other from a shelter. They are 5 years apart. They have quite different personalities. The boy is very playful (though he is younger), calmer, and loves to cuddle more. Our girl is very sweet but she never seems fully relaxed (more on edge now that she has a little brother). She is always the first to greet us at the door with a head bonk. She is more of a people cat and is so friendly with people but is scared of other animals. Growing up with cats I do tend to perfer male cats. Just make sure you fix them early (so they don''t spray). We have two litter boxes in a spare bedroom. One is a regular, the other is the automatic kind from walmart (and we love it!) It comes with a mat to protect the carpet.

I really think cats are so wonderful. They have such great personalities (most of them) and really give so much love. They are also so much easier to take care of than dogs. I think you should go for it!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Keeping the claws clipped helps a lot with curtailing the clawing of furniture. Also, in the future, when you buy new furniture you may want to consider fabrics without a weave to them (like leather or ultrasuede.) I won''t say they''re cat proof (''cause I don''t think anything really is) but my cat doesn''t go after the two sofas (1 leather, 1 ultrasuede) but she does go after the barstools (regular woven fabric.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clipping claws is a good idea - but you need to do it with care. If you examine a cat's claw, you will see towards the root of the claw a pink area which is called the quick. You need to avoid cutting the nails too short as the quick has a blood supply and it will bleed quite a bit, not to mention puss strongly objecting to having it done the next time! To do, get some proper pet nail clippers or human nail clippers ( I prefer the pet ones) and just carefully trim the hooked tips, taking note of where the quick is so you don't cut it. Take a little off so the cat gets used to it, then repeat as often as necessary. It isn't essential that you do this as a cat will care for it's claws themselves, but it may help your furniture! If you decide to do this, start as soon as possible especially if you get a kitten, also it can be helpful to do it when the cat is sleepy!

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
i went through 4 sets of furniture from cat scratching until I finaly bought leather. They do ot scratch the leather.
I will never buy anything else now. I have 5 cats but only one was a furniture scratcher. He was my pound rescue.
Now he has his own scratching shoe:) He sleeps on it it at night,lol

Jensia

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Cinders!

You would definitely be better with an older puss. They have got past the mad kitten stage when they like to climb up the curtains!

SCRATCHING: Our Blod has NEVER scratched any furniture. She has a cratch post by her basket and she also scratches the door mat (which is ok). I occasionally trim blods nails (just the front) and she actually sits there purring while I do it. Of course, she sharpens them again. (BTW you need the right scissors for this)

LITTER: The covered trays are good, cos they stop the litter from being kicked outside the tray, and they help keep the smell in. But you must clean it daily, as cats are very clean creatures!

GROOMING: Cats that are living indoors with central heating will shead nearly all year round. They absolutely LOVE being brushed, and it helps their coats stay nice and glossy.

ENVIROMENT: When the house is empty puss will want plenty of look-out positions...i.e. windows where they can view the outside world. Cats are very happy living indoors, but still want to watch what is going on outside.
31.gif

FOOD: Before taking your puss home, find out what she/he has been eating. A sudden change in diet isn't a good thing. And remember cats drink water. Milk can give some cats stomach upsets and diarrhoea!

HEALTH CARE: Make sure you register you puss with a vet and discuss what vacinations etc are appropriate.

ENTERTAINMENT: It is great to have some playtime with your puss. You don't need to go out and buy cat toys....they will play with the simplest of things....our Blod goes crazy for ping pong balls!

I am really hoping you go for a rescue cat. There are so many in shelters wanting a good home. Have a good luck around, I am positive there will be a puss out there just waiting for you. If you have never had a cat before you will be amazed by how sensitive, intuitive, playful and loving they are! >^..^
good luck Blod

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Cinder- I just read on another thread that you are severly allergic!

Pls don't get a cat if you are...and just have to give him.her back!!!! That won'tbe good for either of you...Are you on medication?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: cats:
My hubby is really allergic so we don''t have any. I grew up with a minimum of 3-4 indoor only cats. We have had girls and boys and I think girls are easier. Boys can be sweethearts but they are rambunctious and there is the potential spraying problem. If the cat was neutered early on, they wont spray, but if you adopt an older male cat, I would assume the worst- that he will spray. So, I would go for an older female cat.

They do better with a buddy... they like to sleep in a big nest on the bed in my parents house. :) They sleep 23.5 hours a day!!

RE: Declawing. We have had all our cats declawed and never have had a problem. They have all lived to at least 18 years of age with no problems. we did try to do the scratching post thing- the cats had plenty of attention (my mom was stay at home) and I played with them all the time, they had a huge house to roam, but they destroyed the sofa. I am not a total supporter of declawing, but I do think it is a good last option- it is certainly better than taking a cat back to the shelter, as many do, unfortunately.

That''s another thing- cats live a lot longer if they are neutered and are house pets. My parents have a 22 year old blue point siamese who is in excellent health. just so you are aware- they live a lot longer than dogs or rabbits etc.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Ephemery, no, I never considered getting any cat declawed. I''ve done a bit of reading too, and I would never subject another living creature to that.

Moremoremore, yes, I am allergic. But my bf and I discussed that, and I am willing to get allergy shots if necessary. Other cat owners have also told me that immunity towards their pets build up over time, and I''ll just wait for that to happen. If it doesn''t happen, allergy shots aren''t that big of a deal. My allergies tend to be itchy eyes and nose, and skin welts from light scratches. I don''t swell up like a balloon or anything, so it won''t be to the point where I would give up the kitty. That would break my heart.

I do have another concern though. Living in San Francisco, where space tends to be a bit tight, our house seems kind of small for two cats. Every one is recommending that two cats are better than one, so I''m considering that. Will the cats be happy with limited space to wander? Or should I wait until we move (we''re planning to move in about a year or so anyway to a bigger house.)

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
The whole de-clawing thing is morally wrong....It''s like extracting the teeth from an Indian tiger!! EXACTLY......Tigers have teeth! Just like God intended!

We can''t ''nip and tuck'' animals to suit us! (phew...got it off my chest)

Blod

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 3:55:44 AM
Author: Lorelei
Scratching - serves many purposes, those of exercising muscles, shedding old claw sheaths, scent marking etc, it is a very natural behaviour. Now I have many cats and have had for years and I wish there was a foolproof way of stopping them from scratching furniture! I have read if you do a search, some PSers have used glue on claw covers which might be an option if you eventually end up with a diehard sofa shredder! Best way is to get a decent post which is sturdy and won''t fall over when the cat uses it - most are useless as the cat scratches and it topples over. Also when you get your cat or kitten, teach him to use the post for example when he wakes from a nap, take him to the post and rub his paws on it. If he decides he still prefers your nice Davenport
6.gif
, tell him NO and grab him and encourage him to use the post. Keep going with the training, it can take a while.
I''ll follow-up to what Lorelei is saying here. We adopted a cat last year (Lorelei....BTW, BB is doing SO well!!!!) and she had claws, where my other cat didn''t. We wanted to make sure that when they roughhouse, it was a fair "fight" and that she couldn''t destroy the furniture. We purchased over the internet "SoftPaws," which are a soft acrylic nail sheath that you glue onto the cat''s claws. Putting them on doesn''t take much effort, but since we adopted a 3-y.o. cat, we didn''t know how she would take to it. With the exception of some lite growling, she doesn''t give me any hassle and I put them on myself! They stay on for about 3-7 weeks at a time. As they fall off, I''ll trim that nail and put another one on. I have her wearing the bright pink ones, so they''re easy to see when they fall off (we started with the clear, but it''s hard to see whether they''re on or not).

We also bought scratching posts, but she wouldn''t use them......then one day I was talking to my professional pet sitter about this. She suggested I use fresh catnip on the post to encourage healthy scratching....I started doing this and she took to it well...but I have to remember to continue adding more catnip to continue encouraging the behavior.

We also buy double-sided cat tape (at any PetCo or Pet Smart) and apply it to any furniture Bunny finds herself scratching to discourage her from scratching the furniture.....for the most part, it works!

Hope this helps!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Blod,

I never said I was supportive of it... but it is a good last resort as an alternative to a shelter. Few people in this world would allow an animal to rip up couch after couch after couch. Some will take to a scratching post, but some are h#llbent on ripping sofas. We lived with one in the early 90's. That was before those cool nail things AchiO mentions. Cats are meant to be outdoor barn mousehunters, not indoor neutered lazy beings, but that doesn't work in todays society.

I would rather see a friend keep and love a cat and get it declawed (front only) than get rid of it. our shelters are overflowing with unwanted pets who suffer miserable lives in cages. Most of the cats do get over it, it is rare for a cat to have long term problems. yes, some may, but the majority recover from it just fine.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow such great advice. Have a few things to add.

I have four cats... two are vertical scratchers two are horizontal scratchers... I see this at the shelter where I volunteer too. Best way to find out is to have both types available. THe cardboard scratchers at petsmart with catnip in them are great, as is a cheap berber carpet sample mat (if your cat loves scratching carpet-- one of mine does). Catnip helped mine understand where they were allowed to scratch, and where they weren't. I would rub it on thier post, and add some to the cardboard ones, and put some on the carpet mats when they are new.

Two cats, one cat, kittens. Cats are individuals, just like us (not trying to sound condescending-- sorry if I do) some cats are naturally inclined to be 'only' cats-- they prefer their own, and human company. It is impossible to tell if a kitten will be one of these. But if you want one cat, a good shelter will be able to tell you which ones are the loners and which ones love the company of other cats. When you are at the shelter evaluating the cats-- check to see how they are socialized (or ask a person there to) pet them all the way to their tail, linger on the tail. Pick them up (do they go limp or are they tense and uncomfortable), touch their paws, and hold a paw if the cat will let you (this will let you know how much 'fun' clipping time will be). The advantages to an older cat, IMO, are many. You can tell right away what their personalities are like-- which is just invaluable for somepeople's lifestyles. If you get an older 3 years and up cat, their personalities are totally set, and if they like you and take to you... well,it's gold. Also you are saving a life as these cats do not get adopted easily. If you get a younger adult cat 1-3 years, their personalites aren't completely set-- cats personalites are set at about 3 years-- I have seen the 3 year 'shift' with my own babies. So the cat, while an adult, will be more flexible and more likely to adapt to you at ths age. They are also not adopted easily and you will be saving a life... and you can tell what-- for the most part-- their personalites will be like at this age.

Kittens. I also recommend two if you are getting kittens... they keep each other occupied...and one lone curious baby can get into amazing amounts of trouble. LOL. They will be fine in a smaller space too. And what everyone else has said about the difference between one and two being negligible is completely true.

Two adult cats. I would just keep an open mind. I think your space will accomodate them just fine-- IF they are compatible. They don't have to be the best of buds, they can mutually ignore each other for the most part... but they need to be compatible. If your shelter has a free roaming room-- where they keep the cats free, not in cages, to interact with one another you will be able to see who likes what and who prefers who. Mostly the cats in these rooms are compatible with the others and will live well with them.

The reason I advise to keep an open mind is because you will not be picking the cat, if all goes well. He or she will pick you. I've seen it happen for years. The ones that don't pic their owners are frequently the ones who come back to us at the shelter. So keep an open mind and see who decides you are to be their new mommy. And from there, you will find out if the cat would prefer to be alone with you... or have a companion... who will hopefully also like you.

Okay... that's all I've got for now. LOL.

ETA: I'm also allergic to cats. It's workable. You just have to commit to working with it, and not letting it get in the way of your commitment to the cats, which it sounds like you are doing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the declaw front. I''m totally against.

BUT I have to say that if you are going to do it... please only do it to kittens, and get it done at the same time they are getting spayed/neutered. Do not declaw an adult cat. Please. Please. Please.

Cinderella... thank you for being against it.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 2:46:34 PM
Author: Gypsy

The reason I advise to keep an open mind is because you will not be picking the cat, if all goes well. He or she will pick you. I''ve seen it happen for years. The ones that don''t pic their owners are frequently the ones who come back to us at the shelter. So keep an open mind and see who decides you are to be their new mommy. And from there, you will find out if the cat would prefer to be alone with you... or have a companion... who will hopefully also like you.
I definitely agree with this! When I went to the shelters to pick out my cats, I had different experiences each time, but each time, the cats picked me.

When I went to get Max, I wanted an adult male, preferably orange. I ended up with a black and white tuxedo. He was sleeping under his cat bed when I walked up to his cage, but somehow he woke up, flipped it off of him, yawned, stretched, looked at me and started purring. He went home with me the next day. Of course, I later learned he''ll purr for anyone, he''s kind of a cat whore. But whatever.
2.gif

With Lucy, I wanted a calm young female and had seen one on the website that appealed to me. When I got there, "Vera" didn''t want attention, didn''t seem like the right cat at all. So I was looking around and somebody suggested "Chip", her littermate. They took her out of the cage and she was hissing and swatting at everyone around. They put her in my arms, she settled in, and purred. We bonded. When they tried to take her out of my arms, she started growling and swatting again and had to be chased across the room. Everybody there was amazed when I put an application on her. "Why would you want that cat?" I said "when she was in my arms, she was fine." She moved in, I named her Lucy, and she completely adores Max and still purrs like crazy for me. And for Greenies.

Bill was a different story... he was a stray and we used to feed him but one winter day he was suddenly very friendly. We brought him in and he purred, even drooled when we petted him. But we took him to a shelter thinking they could find him a home, knowing we couldn''t keep him. Well, three days later, we called the shelter and they said he was perfectly healthy but nobody was interested in him. We visited and he sat sullen in his litter box, refusing to look up. They let me hold him and he was happy, purring, drooling. We put an application of last resort on him so he wouldn''t be put down and 4 days later brought him home again. He lived at my boyfriend''s house until we moved in together. He and Lucy do NOT like each other, but he and Max are wrestle buddies. It''s been almost a year since we all moved in together and Lucy and Bill still fight almost every day, but it''s more of a "this is MY side of the bed" than anything else at this point. I think maybe someday they''ll get past it... Bill is still young and Lucy is a VERY stubborn orange tabby female.

So if you want a pair, an older male and a younger female has prooved good for me. Male cats are the most relaxed but they also are prone to cystitis and you have to be sure to feed them good food to prevent crystal buildup in the Urinary Tract. Every cat has a different personality and you really need to spend time with them to know if it will be the cat you want to take home!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
This whole thread really makes me want a cat. Does anyone have any experience with severe allergies and treatments? My hubby is pretty reluctant to try, but I don't know what is out there. He sneezes and wheezes and gets asthma attacks after a few hours of cats.
7.gif

I have heard that if you get a kitten and bathe it daily, it will help, as it is the saliva in the mouth that causes the allergies. apparently, the kitten will adjust to taking showers. I don't know if that is true or not, but I read about some woman taking showers with her cats and they were willing. hmmm...

anyone have any suggestions?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend had moderate allergies with one wheezing attack. He took antihistamines like Zyrtec and Claritin and that helped him a lot. I also bought those fancy expensive Sharper Image air filters, and that helps him too. We also vacuum with a dyson. And eventually he just adjusted to it. But allergies can be severe and even life threatening and they are different for everyone, and oddly, for every cat.

People are allergic to the dander and/or a protein in the cat''s saliva. As each cat is different, the allergens can be different. Allergy shots can help, but I''ve been told they really only work if you mix them specifically for the cat you are around. There''s also an additive you can put in kitty''s food to change the chemical composition of the proteins. A vet can tell you more about that. There are also allergen-washes for cats that you can wipe the cat down with each day to minimize the saliva and dander on the coat.

Basically, it''s a different situation for every person and every cat, but as long as his allergies aren''t life-threatening, you can probably find a way to have a cat.

and cat allergies aren''t just for people... Selkie told me her cat is allergic to ITSELF. One of the cat''s allergies is "cat dander". Crazy, eh?

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
As far as allergies are concerned...I don''t really believe in them, generally. Obviously, if you grew up in a home with no pets and then go somewhere (like my house) with pets, you may get a stuffed up nose, itchy eyes, etc. I think exposure will help those who have reactions to pets. A friend of mine recently went horseback riding with me (my sister has two horses) and she wasn''t feeling so hot afterwards...wheezing, itchy eyes and throat, runny nose and she went to the doctor who (of course) immediately told her she''s allergic to pets of all kinds, horses being the worst. Funny...my friend lives with 2 rabbits, a cat a bird and also a chinchilla! So, my friend is now subjecting herself to painful shots and huge pills to combat the situation. I think she just wasn''t used to how dirty horses really are! Oh well, to each his own!

This thread really makes me want to get another kitty (or two), but I know we cannot (at least not now). We visit the local shelter every now and then just to visit the cats/kittens and we always want to bring them all home
8.gif
Maybe in a few years when we have a house...

Does anybody have any suggestions as to a good cat food? Right now Peaches and Jules (my kitties) are on Science Diet and they seem to like it, but I worry about the nutritional value of the food. Another reply had some comments about the run-of-the-mill grocery store foods, and I agree, but is Science Diet really any better? The cats only get dry kibble and a small amount of canned food in the evening for a treat (spoiled).
-Grace

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My grandmother has this thing about bathing/showering cats. Don't ask. LOL. But with my aunt's kitten, Tiger, he was bathed everyday since the day they got him for about two months (while my grandmother was there) and yes, he did adapt to it. But the vets don't recommend such frequent washing.

Allergries are serious and life threatening, and nothing to joke around with. Your doctor is the best person to advise you, along with a good vet. There are many products out there, and sumbride has outlined many of them, to help with allergies-- but ultimately its a case by case determination AND a personal choice. One option, should you both choose to seriously consider a cat is to foster. It's temporary and revocable, a trail, if you will, to see how the products, medicines, etc are working for you. Good luck!

Cinderella.... where are you located?

Grace-- cat food. I feed mine perscribtion science diet, and used to feed them eukanuba, nutro, royal canin, or science diet. All of them had pluses and minuses for us. Ultimately perscribtion food was the best choice. Your vet is the best person to advise you, though.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 10:47:13 AM
Author: Jensia
i went through 4 sets of furniture from cat scratching until I finaly bought leather. They do ot scratch the leather.

I will never buy anything else now. I have 5 cats but only one was a furniture scratcher. He was my pound rescue.

Now he has his own scratching shoe:) He sleeps on it it at night,lol

Jensia

Ummm...not true for all cats. Growing up we had a cat that SHREADED a leather chair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results