shape
carat
color
clarity

Another baby name thread: $$ for names

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am still on the search for a more fitting baby name. Havent found one, but nevertheless.

I came across this website

http://upswingbabynames.com/

In particular, the part where she will be a "baby name coach." For $60(!) dollars she will let you tell her a little about yourself, and from what I can gather, will suggest a baby name for you. for almost 200 she will let you have a conversation with her about it. :roll:

ONE-TIME CONSULTATIONS

This is one emailed response that usually runs around 500-1200 words depending on whether you know the gender, whether you are having multiples, and other known or unknown variables.

Cost: 59.99

ONGOING CONSULTATIONS

This package gives you unlimited access to me for the entire duration of your pregnancy. We will be in touch back and forth through email or Skype if you prefer.

Cost: 199.99

So, instead of doing your own research, or going to a baby name forum and giving the same information and getting free responses, you get one ladies opinion for 60 or 200 bucks!

This seems crazy to me.

Would you actually pay someone else to pick out a baby name for you?? Especially considering how many free opinions are out there on this subject? I mean, what if you hate her ideas? then what did you get for your money?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most common names for the last 100 years in the US are James and Mary.

I'd just go with that.
Done.
At least everyone can spell and pronounce them.

screen_shot_2014-09-24_at_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never pay a stranger for their advice. I hate unsolicited baby name advice, let alone solicited advice lol.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1411579572|3756406 said:

I'd just go with that.
Done.
You should go into the baby name consulting business.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1411579998|3756412 said:
kenny|1411579572|3756406 said:

I'd just go with that.
Done.
You should go into the baby name consulting business.

I could not deal with such fluffy people, even for money. :roll:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way would I pay a stranger for their opinion!

Niel, Have you made a final decision on your baby's name? I feel for you. It's a lot harder than you'd think it would be.

Sorry for the theadjack OP

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1411580672|3756426 said:
No way would I pay a stranger for their opinion!

Niel, Have you made a final decision on your baby's name? I feel for you. It's a lot harder than you'd think it would be.

Sorry for the theadjack OP
Haha I'm the OP so the threadjack is ok .

I have the distinct feeling it'll be our M name but i have a feeling I'll be in search of a name to replace it for some time. Which I don't want to do. It seems easier to get attached to a real person with a name than just some nameless blob with a penis in my belly haha.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't pay for this service. But this thread reminds me that I want to go see names of other kids in DS' s class. Just curious what other parents in same year picked :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If it seems crazy to you, that's because it absolutely is :shock: Personally, I would never pay someone to choose something so personal as my baby's name...

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Bwhahahahah!

This is nuts. I wonder how many clients she gets.

From what I can gather, her qualifications as a baby namer is that she named her own child. Which means Niel, you can be your own baby namer! Yaaaayyyyyy!

This made me laugh:
One of these parents happens to be a UBN reader who agreed to share her story behind why she regrets not naming her daughter Mia (a top 10 name in the US) five years ago.

The chosen name, Cheyla, comes across as contrived according to reader, Maddie. But that’s not Maddie’s only concern. The family has started using both names (Cheyla and Mia) for the girl and she answers to both. Maddie is afraid of creating an identity crisis for her daughter.

An identity crisis? Whaaat?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, I'll give you a great deal! I'll name your baby for only $20! :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most successful, popular, usual, desirable name for a boy for 100 years.

James.

No charge.

James is way better than, "Nameless blob with a penis in my belly".
Thats a horrible name for a kid.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1411596999|3756557 said:
Niel, I'll give you a great deal! I'll name your baby for only $20! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll undercut to $19.99 ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1411597143|3756558 said:
The most successful, popular, usual, desirable name for a boy for 100 years.

James.

No charge.

James is way better than, "Nameless blob with a penis in my belly".
Thats a horrible name for a kid.

Oh, no. Im not interested in name suggestions. I'm not sure if i have off that vibe, but like i said, im not interested in unsolicited suggestions.

Thats one of the main reasons this is so silly to me. People are very opinionated and this is such a personal choice, why pay a random person to make a life choice for you

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1411597388|3756561 said:
msop04|1411596999|3756557 said:

I'll undercut to $19.99 ;-)

AMC, hows about we go into it together! 40 bucks each, and we're STILL a discount!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1411588430|3756503 said:
Bwhahahahah!

This is nuts. I wonder how many clients she gets.

From what I can gather, her qualifications as a baby namer is that she named her own child. Which means Niel, you can be your own baby namer! Yaaaayyyyyy!

This made me laugh:
One of these parents happens to be a UBN reader who agreed to share her story behind why she regrets not naming her daughter Mia (a top 10 name in the US) five years ago.

The chosen name, Cheyla, comes across as contrived according to reader, Maddie. But that’s not Maddie’s only concern. The family has started using both names (Cheyla and Mia) for the girl and she answers to both. Maddie is afraid of creating an identity crisis for her daughter.

An identity crisis?
Whaaat?

oh my god, oh my god. I call my DD by a nickname..... :errrr:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All you need to do is find a friend who's a teacher- they'll tell you exactly what (not) to name your child!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1411641869|3756750 said:
All you need to do is find a friend who's a teacher- they'll tell you exactly what (not) to name your child!

There is some truth in this statement. It's also why I'm thankful that we had our kids before I started teaching! Naming kids is very challenging. I look at some of the other grades and am floored at the names. In the upper grades, there are interesting ones, but only a few I've had a challenge pronouncing (thankfully). I also remember the time I had a student named God. Seriously, that was their first name. I called them by their last name (which wasn't much better :o )...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1411652585|3756792 said:
Snowdrop13|1411641869|3756750 said:

There is some truth in this statement. It's also why I'm thankful that we had our kids before I started teaching! Naming kids is very challenging. I look at some of the other grades and am floored at the names. In the upper grades, there are interesting ones, but only a few I've had a challenge pronouncing (thankfully). I also remember the time I had a student named God. Seriously, that was their first name. I called them by their last name (which wasn't much better :o )...

My husband and I take pride in the process and final result of picking a name by ourselves. You'd think most people would. If I were to ask for opinions, you're right, teachers are a good go to. Not one random narcissist with a website lol.

Plus most teachers I know are more than happy to help for free lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results