carat
color
clarity

Animal rescue -- heartbreaking

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1362342529|3395326 said:
Matata: since you have been on this thread and hopefully will come back to it, I know this is terrible, but do you see any veil in Journey's eyes? Wow, my heart is thumping so hard just asking the question...
No veil but it means nothing because this is not an ability I can control. It never works when I want it to.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew. I stopped reading at "no veil," even if that's cheating. :praise: :bigsmile: :saint:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished - thanks! Even though some of us (who shall remain nameless) donated, we couldn't seem to remember the details about the FB page.

The good news is that they think that miracle girl Journey can go home with a foster in a few days! How amazing is that?!! I want more photos of that beauty. :bigsmile:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I haven't heard from Nicole today - need to flick her a text and see if the ultrasound has been done. Today is a public holiday, so I suspect that unless her temp is spiking, it will be delayed til Tuesday.

Thank you again to everyone who has donated or passed on kind words and thoughts.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ginger: thanks for keeping us posted. She is one amazing creature.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Wow!!!! The new pictures look so awesome! She is looking soooo much better! I am rooting and praying for her!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
It's my hubby's birthday today and Journey is looking a lot better - what a birthday pres! I wonder how they proceed with food now. It looks tempting to give her a huge square meal but that is probably not the right thing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! She is beautiful and amazing!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
what awful awful people. words just can't express my feelings for the people that were responsible for this dogs wellbeing so i won't try.

I've always been of the opinion that we are all equal. regardless of whether we have 2 legs or 4. regardless of wether we express ourselves with words or with other sounds. the picture you posted of her face is beautiful! she looks like shes grinning. my dog has never had that facial expression while at the vets! what a sorry life she must have led if the attention shes getting now makes her grin despite the needles and temperature taking! how could someone not see that face and care for it as much as anyone else in your life?

I hope she does recover so that she can experience the love and care that most people are capable of. she deserves to spend the rest of her days loved with lots care and nurturing from her people and with the energy to run around and enjoy life.

From memory Ghandi said that 'the greatness of a nation can be judged by how its animals are treated' so its a sad day for australia if these people arn't prosecuted for the evils they have inflicted on one of our own

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi|1362393204|3395761 said:
what awful awful people. words just can't express my feelings for the people that were responsible for this dogs wellbeing so i won't try.

I've always been of the opinion that we are all equal. regardless of whether we have 2 legs or 4. regardless of wether we express ourselves with words or with other sounds. the picture you posted of her face is beautiful! she looks like shes grinning. my dog has never had that facial expression while at the vets! what a sorry life she must have led if the attention shes getting now makes her grin despite the needles and temperature taking! how could someone not see that face and care for it as much as anyone else in your life?

I hope she does recover so that she can experience the love and care that most people are capable of. she deserves to spend the rest of her days loved with lots care and nurturing from her people and with the energy to run around and enjoy life.

From memory Ghandi said that 'the greatness of a nation can be judged by how its animals are treated' so its a sad day for australia if these people arn't prosecuted for the evils they have inflicted on one of our own

I couldn't agree more with what you wrote hippi and in fact this quote has always been my very favorite quote.

People can be horrible horrible beings and I would much prefer to be in the company of animals most of the time. A sad commentary regarding this world. People have no problem wearing fur (back in vogue-everywhere we look), torturing animals, ignoring their well being and even going out of their way to hurt them. Killing animals under the guise of "euthanasia" because supposedly there is no money and no resources for them. And doing much worse. Hard to believe but there it is. Heartbreaking and truly evil on earth.

Sending all my love and prayers and support to Journey. And I am thankful there are still many good people in this world who care about her and the other poor animals who are in desperate need of help.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am so relieved to see that's she doing better and that she even appears to be smiling in the last photo you posted! I continue to pray for her and for her caregivers. I just don't understand how people could treat another living creature in such a depraved, cruel way. If you can't care for them, there are rescue organizations around who will take animals, no questions asked. There is no reason for this to happen. Why are people so da*m sick in their hearts????

Ginger, please keep us posted!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I was so happy to see the new pictures of Journey on the FB page! She is looking so much healthier after only a few short days of TLC!!! I will continue to pray for her speedy and full recovery!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1362238152|3394531 said:
I reposted a picture for Patrick's site last night on my FB wall of a pitbull that a pit rescue has been trying to find a home for, and he's been passed over many times b/c of his appearance. He was used as a bait dog and left on the side of the road when they were done w/him, so he's kinda mangled..but you look in his eyes and oh his eyes just...I told JD if we were in a better position and the kids were a little older to help w/a dog, I'd've been on the phone right then and there to get him, and he agreed that we would've found a way to make it happen were our situation different.

Packrat---Thank you for telling us about The Patrick Miracle FB page, I saw the post for Tyson that you spoke about. Tyson is a gorgeous, sweet looking boy!!! We lost our pup to a lung tumor that had metastasized about 6 months ago and have just begun to look for the perfect addition to bring into our fur family. I did contact Noah's Arc inquiring about Tyson, but was told his prey drive is high-so no cats and we have 3. So sadly, we are not the right fit for Tyson, but I will pass his story and picture around in hopes of finding him a wonderful, loving forever home!!! He looks perfect in my eyes, I can't believe anyone would pass him up because of his past injuries!

JG-I hope you don't mind me posting a picture of Tyson, my intention is not to take anything away from Journey's story-but continue to raise awareness as we have seen just how far reaching PS really is---maybe PS can find Tyson the perfect fit for his forever home!!!

tyson_the_gentleman.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the work that Noah's Ark does and have admired photos of Tyson so many times - he looks like a gentle, quirky soul. I don't mind you sharing at all; you just never know who might see him and fall in love. :love:

I've also seen Patrick - his story is astounding. Having looked at his first photos, there is no doubt that his recovery was an absolute miracle. :appl:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1362412866|3395919 said:
I LOVE the work that Noah's Ark does and have admired photos of Tyson so many times - he looks like a gentle, quirky soul. I don't mind you sharing at all; you just never know who might see him and fall in love. :love:

I've also seen Patrick - his story is astounding. Having looked at his first photos, there is no doubt that his recovery was an absolute miracle. :appl:
JG-Thank you for your understanding with me posting Tyson's photo, I have to admit that I have fallen in love with Tyson and was crushed to find out our fur family would not be a good fit for him!!! They always say that you do not choose who you love and those eyes just 'got' me! So I am really hoping that he finds his forever home SOON :) And Patrick's story-all I can say is WOW, what a miracle!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is unbelievably awful. I finally got the nerve to look at the photos and it made me cry immediately. ;( I am SO GLAD she's feeling better. For those of you without Facebook, the rescue posted new photos of her and she looks even better. Still showing every bone but not nearly as emaciated as before. Here's one from today:

28999_434670176609324_1348302101_n.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1362274055|3394838 said:
Heartbreaking, nightmare inducing, stomach churning horror. And yet, if she survives, she will forgive and love unconditionally. For me, that engenders a different kind of heartbreak – poignant & sweetly hinting at the potential salvation for humanity.

There are 3 things in this world that evoke rage in me to the point where I could cause another human bodily harm – abuse of animals, children, and the elderly. From my personal experience, the motivating factors I’ve seen most frequently for abuse are lack of respect for life (which may be affected by cultural norms), mental impairment, emotional impairment (the abuser was abused).
I’m going to share a story that has nothing to do with this dog in particular but is related to human/animal relationships that I hope will bring a bit of hope to those who think we may never outgrow our savagery.

When I was the animal care director at a wildlife rehabilitation center, I worked with the police department in my city to have convicted animal abusers do their community service at the rehab center. One day they phoned me to ask if I wanted one of the hardest core cases they had yet seen and a little while later I opened the door to a 6’5” 300lb column of muscle with hands as big as hams and an attitude so bad he could turn water into acid. First thought that came into my mind was “holy shit” what have I gotten into”; second thought was, “he has to be humbled, gotta break through his defenses.”

Luckily we received an injured turkey vulture just minutes after Mr. Ham Hands arrival. I showed him how to hold the bird so I could examine it knowing full well that the bird’s fear response would be to crap and vomit all over him. Turkey Vulture bodily effluences make skunk smell like Chanel #5. He became enraged at the effrontery of the bird and so I led the reeking hulk into the nursery apologizing for the inconvenience and saying that perhaps we should start his training on more mild mannered critters. I hauled a berry basked lined with paper towels containing chickadee hatchlings out of the incubator and plopped one of the alien looking creatures into his hand. I was pretty sure I knew the reason for this man’s rage but nonetheless held my breath as I waited to see what he would do with a helpless fragile tiny creature sitting in the middle of his ham sized palm.

He stopped breathing, looked at the hatchling and started to sob so hard he fell to his knees. Back into the incubator went the bird, and he spent the next hour telling me his story of physical, sexual, emotional abuse by his father. He stayed with the center for a long time, became one of our most valued volunteers, and finally ended up going back to school to get a degree that would allow him to work with abused kids. Animals have taught me the most about being human and people like Mr. Ham Hands have taught me that redemption is possible if someone is willing to take a bit of time, give a bit of care, listen with the heart. Where there is a will, there is hope.

To all of you who work tirelessly for and on behalf of the voiceless, I send you love.

Matata thank you so much for sharing this story. I don't know whether it was more painful or beautiful to read - Journey's forgiveness and love is - humbling to consider - it's something so few have earned. You, Ginger, all those who open their homes and hearts to animals in need - thank you, for giving stories like this their happy endings.

She looks so much better in the new photos - it's incredible to see what a difference just a few days can make!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've just seen the newest photos myself this morning (uni is already becoming very time-demanding, bloody nerve of those professors! :lol: ). She looks so, so much better. I know her foster carer (Corinna, I believe) will do a wonderful job giving her the care she needs. :halo:

journey4.jpg

I love the expression on her face -- and she's already stepping on people's toes! :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps a silly question, but those pictures are technically from your yesterday, aren't they? Today is Tuesday there, right? So those photos were on my FB page yesterday, which hopefully, she looks and feels even better than that today, right? :praise: :praise: :praise:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What awful professors! :lol:

She's looking so much better! I love her face. She is so clearly a gentle, loving girl. I hope she recovers and is able to find a family that deserves her.

JG -- I don't know how you do what you do. I've been thinking about this since you posted. The horrors people are capable of are just shocking to me. Knowing that they may get away with it makes me :angryfire:
I wonder if the reason for no prosecution (at least so far) is so that people will continue to surrender animals voluntarily? I just can't think of any other reason for not reacting strongly to such things. Maybe the hope is that some animals will be saved if people feel they can surrender them and if there were strong (and visible) punishments people may choose to simply abandon or kill instead?
The whole thing is just so sad.

gammygam

Shiny_Rock
I was completely shocked when I first opened this thread and couldn't even respond. I just love the new pictures posted, she looks so much happier and even quite curious. I've been saying a little prayer for Journey every night, I just know that she's going to find her forever home and get lots of love and treats!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
OMG. Lots of dust sending your way.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, my heart breaks. Is there anything we can do to help?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Gem Queen|1362548074|3397701 said:
Oh, my heart breaks. Is there anything we can do to help?

The organization that is caring for her is just a network of individual carers, all operating out of their own homes, with no central adoption area, no government funding, no private sponsorships. The foster carers all pay for their animals' worming, flea treatments, litter, food, treats, and toys out of our own pockets - the vet work is covered by the organization directly from donations from the public. I suspect there are organizations very similar in your immediate area that you could offer to assist - so, so many things need doing. From transportation of animals from foster home to vet and back, designing of new flyers, organization of adoption events, photography of the pets for their respective rescue websites, to the actual care of needy animals in your own home.

Thankfully, due the great number of shares and likes and support we've received regarding Journey, her recovery is well and truly taken care of. The donations have (again, VERY THANKFULLY) spilled over into some of the less critical (but nonetheless needy) pets in the care of SAFE. Though I do notice it's never the cats that get big outpourings...but I digress... :wink2:

If you'd like to help another dog just like Journey, locate your local grassroots rescue organization and help them out - volunteer, donate, spread the word. Keep an eye out for abused or neglected animals in your area and speak up on their behalf. There are a million little ways to help that result in big changes. :))

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
That is great that they are being taken care of in that manner. I can't even watch animal planet.
I am the epitome of a cat lover. I know what you mean. Here are my monkeys. They make our lives so much better.
This is Gracey.

g-2.jpg

02624.jpg

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Here is Romeo

img_0425.jpg

photo_on_2011-03-21_at_0.jpg

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Tyson is adorable. I just want to kiss his big pitty head and his poor mouth and nose.. ugh. Poor baby. I hope he finds his forever home very soon.

I'm SO glad to hear that our girl is steadily getting better. Thanks for sharing the additional photos! She truly does seem relieved and ready to move on!

Lastly, Gem Queen, your cats are BEAUTIFUL! I am a dog person through and through, but your kitties are seriously gorgeous.

I volunteer sometimes for the Animal Welfare League in my county and they have only a small office from which they do cat adoptions. It's true that it's much harder to garner donations for cats than dogs. Maybe because photos of desperately-in-need dogs are more prevalent? I don't know, but it's sad. If you're an animal lover and so inclined, $5 or $10 can make a huge difference in these animals' lives!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Five or ten dollars would be my pleasure. Where do I send it? Where do you live?

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I didn't mean at all for it to sound like I was asking for donations! I was just commenting in general to say more people SHOULD donate to charities like Animal Welfare League and like Safeperth and Noah's Ark because it doesn't take much to make a difference. I'm sorry I was misunderstood! :wavey: Kiss your kitties for me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results