shape
carat
color
clarity

Animal Lovers, Please Help! (Warning: This made me cry.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure many of you already know about this, but since this is a forum of animal lovers I feel I have to share this information just in case even ONE of you hasn't seen it, and you can help spread the word.

There are terrible things happening to dogs and cats in New York. Beautiful, adoptable, healthy animals are being killed every day in New York's Animal Care and Control (ACC) shelters.

A non-profit organization called Urgent! works hard to save the dogs and cats on the ACC's kill lists every night, but unfortunately, they cannot save them all.

If you care, and if you want more information, you can find it on this website. Please be aware that they post the pictures and bios of the dogs that are set to be killed each day, so if you're like me, you may end up bawling your eyes out. HOWEVER, this is so important that I don't think it's one of those times when we should turn our head to spare ourselves the horror of reality.
http://www.urgentdeathrowdogs.org/

They have Facebook pages for the dogs and cats that urgently need fostering, adoption, and pledges. If you're on Facebook, sharing these pages with your friends could save an animal's life.
https://www.facebook.com/Urgentdeathrowdogs
https://www.facebook.com/PetsOnDeathRow

If you care, please share this information on Facebook, via email, everywhere and anywhere. If you live in NYC, there is a big rally coming up in Times Square on September 8th, you could attend that. If you live near NY, sharing these pages with your friends may mean the difference between life and death for one animal.

The ACC had 14 dogs on today's kill list. So far two have been saved through the efforts of people on Facebook. There may still be time for the others, and a new list of death row animals will come out tonight. If PSers can help broaden the network of exposure for these sweet animals, we can save more. Please help. I watched the power of social media save these two dogs' lives over the last 18 hours, and it was amazing. We can do more.

Thank you so much.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
This is the kind of thing that just tears at my heart and I cannot look. But we already give $250 per month to a rescue that cares for 100 older and disabled dogs. And that's just one of the monthly animal and people donations. It's very frustrating and I wish we could do more. The important message is spaying and neutering. And don't buy cats and dogs-rescue!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Gonna share this on FB - thanks for posting.

There is a great documentary on HBO that is called "One Nation Under Dog" that really changed my whole perspective on shelter dogs. It made me even more glad that I rescued my dog from a shelter. A quote that really always sums it up for me - "who rescued who?"

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1344619626|3249231 said:

There is a great documentary on HBO that is called "One Nation Under Dog" that really changed my whole perspective on shelter dogs. It made me even more glad that I rescued my dog from a shelter. A quote that really always sums it up for me - "who rescued who?"

I thought I was the only one who would sit through that show. It was absolutely heartbreaking. :blackeye: My daughter had to leave the room, but I thought I "owed" it to the shelter animals to watch the really hard parts. One of our dogs is a rescue, although she was never in imminent danger. She came to us through a foster situation, and we paid $600 just to have her flown to us so we could adopt her. Our dogs are both Chihuahuas, and there are thousands in shelters because of the now mostly passe trend of purse pets. They are easily disposable apparently. :nono:

Thanks for sharing Haven.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1344620696|3249239 said:
Autumnovember|1344619626|3249231 said:

I thought I was the only one who would sit through that show. It was absolutely heartbreaking. :blackeye: My daughter had to leave the room, but I thought I "owed" it to the shelter animals to watch the really hard parts. One of our dogs is a rescue, although she was never in imminent danger. She came to us through a foster situation, and we paid $600 just to have her flown to us so we could adopt her. Our dogs are both Chihuahuas, and there are thousands in shelters because of the now mostly passe trend of purse pets. They are easily disposable apparently. :nono:

Thanks for sharing Haven.

I watched it with my husband.....I cried for a while watching but I also felt the way you did, that I owed it to the shelter dogs. They also have another documentary up right now thats all about puppy mills and a woman who saves dogs from them. Really interesting.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies! I'll have to watch that documentary.

There's a non-profit called No Kill Nation that has a really interesting approach to shelter reform. I'm going to do some research and see where I can put my time and money to really helping these animals in serious need. We volunteer with the local shelter, and donate, but I know we can do more.
https://www.facebook.com/NOKILLNATION

We have a Pit Bull and a Shih Tzu, and those seem to be two breeds that pop up on these kill lists quite often. The Pit Bulls are on there the most of course, but I think you're right Lyra--small dogs seem to be disposable to people. It makes me sick. The saddest thing about these poor pups being killed by the NY ACC is that many of them are owner surrenders, and the owners drop them off their believing that they will be adopted b/c they're told that the ACC doesn't euthanize healthy dogs. What they aren't told is that a dog can be labeled unhealthy or unadoptable for being very shy or scared (most of them become both after a few days in the shelter) and kennel cough is a very common reason for killing dogs. Kennel cough! Such an easy thing to treat, but they use it as a reason to kill perfectly adoptable, beautiful babies.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my little Parkour came via the Silicon Valley Animal Control Shelter.
we paid $150 for him and will also donate more $.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
That is so sad. But it is wonderful that you are posting this on PS, Haven. I was just having a conversation this morning with my neighbor about this (not NY specifically, the general problem). I wish I could adopt more, but in a small apartment, 2 cats is really enough. Ugh. Why OH WHY don't people spay and neuter?!?!?!?!?! These poor animals are born to die.
Well, all we can do is post here, post on Fbook and spread awareness by word of mouth. It makes me SO sad that we can't save them all. :(sad
Adopting pets is SO important-- I wish more people realized what a difference they can make by simply adopting, spaying and neutering.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
For those who have adopted pets that were never on a "kill list," your adoption was just as life saving - moving one animal out of foster or a shelter means there is space for another animal that WAS on a kill list. Every adoption is as important and life saving as another. :))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1344634791|3249372 said:
For those who have adopted pets that were never on a "kill list," your adoption was just as life saving - moving one animal out of foster or a shelter means there is space for another animal that WAS on a kill list. Every adoption is as important and life saving as another. :))
Absolutely! Excellent point, Ginger!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1344635641|3249381 said:
justginger|1344634791|3249372 said:
Absolutely! Excellent point, Ginger!

Very true, any life saved - no matter how it is achieved - is a job well done. My oldest adopted from a no kill shelter and he has a lovely (approx) 5 year old doberman/lab mix female who is very gentle.

Thanks for posting this but that was way too emotional for first thing in the morning for me ;( I've got both my dogs here at my feet and I'm loving them with tummy rubs.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for sharing Haven. This just breaks my heart. We adopted Zoe from a breeder she had been returned to and was on her way to a shelter if we hadn't adopted her. I understand the challenge of feeding/caring for so many abandoned animals, but there has to be a solution. I will post this on my FB page to help spread the word.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hi Haven,

I work with Second City Canine Rescue which is a foster home based rescue based out of Roselle. They pull dogs from Chicago Animal Control which also has a FB page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CACC-Rescue-Transfer-Team/188670624493313?sk=wall&filter=12#!/pages/CACC-Transfer-Team/226541667442185

I have gone to CACC with the group to pull dogs. There were hundreds, about 600 I think. CACC lets the rescues behind the scenes to see dogs that the public doesn't get to see. Then they can do a quick temperment test and decide which ones are most adoptable and can be put into local foster homes. The group is in my store every other Saturday and since October have adopted out 80+ dogs. The group founder Jacquie is a great lady & a dear friend who also works at a very demanding sales job. They are always looking for volunteers, donations and fundraisers. Here's a link to their FB page http://www.facebook.com/SecondCityCanineRescue

They have some great fundraisers planned so if you like their page there may be some events you would enjoy. I mention this because I know you mentioned living in the north suburbs. There is an outing at the Schaumburg Flyers Stadium that you can bring your dog to.

Glad to see so many people on here love animals!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woofmama--Thank you! That's wonderful information, I'll go "like" the page right now and investigate. Your friend Jacquie sounds like a wonderful person. I'm so in awe of everyone who works tirelessly to save these animals. I've seen amazing things in the few days I've been following the various threads about these dogs in desperate need of saving--donors pulling together $200, $500, $1,000! to support dogs on the kill list, fosters stepping up and squeezing one more dog into their lives so a long-distance adopter has time to get to the shelter. It's amazing. All I've been able to do is donate money and share share share the information. But it's a start, right?

I start teaching again in about a week, and I always do a service learning project in the second half of the semester. (I teach in a community college.) I'll have about 85 students in total, so we have good numbers and have been able to do some great things in the past. I'm going to see about organizing a service learning project around helping local homeless animals, so I'll be reaching out to people like your friend Jacquie.

I've been reading up on the CACC ever since I found all this information about the NYACC, but haven't found the same outrage about the CACC's practices as I've found at NYACC's. I do know Mayor Emanuel recently ousted the CACC's director, but I haven't found out much about why or if the CACC is guilty of the same horrors that seem to be plaguing New York.

I volunteer with a great local shelter out here, and I love it. But my mom and I have been talking about getting involved with other places as well. I really appreciate this local info, thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Haven for posting this. We most recently adopted Bobby from a rescue group (heck, one man rescue group-Doug, who uses his own money to save as many as he can) who goes around to the shelters in NYC trying to save as many animals as he can from the kill lists that day. Bobby was about to be "euthanized". It literally breaks my heart when I think of all the healthy animals murdered every day in NYC (and anywhere else). What kind of civilization exists that allows this to happen? :(( :(( :((

Sometimes (much of the time) I feel so overwhelmed by all of this. Thank you for posting this to make more people aware and perhaps do what they can because as posted every little difference matters!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it's sad...but I think that everyone should know what's going on in this country and how bad it is. If more people knew, they'd encourage family members to adopt instead of buy. 5 million animals go into shelters in the US every year. 60% are killed, most are highly adoptable but there are not enough adopters.

Many of these are purebred animals, you'd be surprised at the gorgeous animals in shelters. A very high percentage are there because their owners moved and didn't make provisions to move into an animal friendly home.

If you can, please adopt. If you can't adopt, please foster. If you can't foster, please volunteer. If you can't volunteer, please donate. If you can't donate, please help spread the word. :) Everyone can do a little something. And everyone please spay and neuter. :wavey:

p.s if you donate, please donate to local shelters or rescue that work hands on with the animals. Those sad commercials you see on TV for the Humane Society and the ASPCA? Well, less than 1% of the Humane Society of the US donations go towards hands on care of animals. The ASCPA only covers New York while fundraising nationally and only gives a small amount to rescue organizations. (info: http://humanewatch.org/index.php/the_humane_society_of_the_united_states_and_pet_shelter_giving/)

We donated to animal rescue in lieu of favors at our wedding. There are also kids in our area that have lemonade stands to raise money for rescues, and children that ask for donations in lieu of gifts at their birthdays. There are so many creative ways to help! :)

The reason I'm so passionate about it is because I look into the eyes of my two gorgeous rescued doggies and think about what would have happened in someone didn't step up to save them. I try to do what I can, every little bit helps one more dog.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
webdiva|1344813816|3250377 said:
p.s if you donate, please donate to local shelters or rescue that work hands on with the animals. Those sad commercials you see on TV for the Humane Society and the ASPCA? Well, less than 1% of the Humane Society of the US donations go towards hands on care of animals. The ASCPA only covers New York while fundraising nationally and only gives a small amount to rescue organizations. (info: http://humanewatch.org/index.php/the_humane_society_of_the_united_states_and_pet_shelter_giving/)

Oh, no, I just read a bunch of articles at that humanewatch.com website...I didn't realize the ASPCA wasn't a good organization :(sad I gave $ to them for YEARS.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
CJ2008|1344820129|3250422 said:
webdiva|1344813816|3250377 said:

Oh, no, I just read a bunch of articles at that humanewatch.com website...I didn't realize the ASPCA wasn't a good organization :(sad I gave $ to them for YEARS.

I feel bad for donating to organizations that don't directly benefit homeless animals before I found out - so I just donate an amount every month to a local rescue, plus volunteer. You can find a few rescues in your area on Facebook and see the impact they make EVERY day.

Instead of contributing to the half million salary of the ASPCA president, I love knowing that my $100 donation will bail out a specific dog from a shelter and take him off death row into the warm arms of a foster home. They even post pictures along the way, from a freedom picture outside the shelter, to the progress they make, to the forever home! It warms the heart to hear all the "Happy Tails"!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, keeping your money in local grassroots organizations is the best way to ensure it gets spent wisely. It's like any other bureaucracy, money gets eaten up in the details - any salaries, fundraising, office supplies, etc.

That being said, I don't think monetary donations can make the overpopulation problem go away. Throwing money at an issue doesn't always work. There needs to be a push towards responsible owner legislation - I'd like to see massive fines for owners who choose not to sterilize their pets. AND there need to be more people who DO something...foster. No amount of money is going to give a dog a loving home environment. That takes real people who give a crap. A steady decline of accidental births and a steady increase of willing temporary homes - those are the only things that will bring this depressing issue to an end.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1344850743|3250448 said:
Yes, keeping your money in local grassroots organizations is the best way to ensure it gets spent wisely. It's like any other bureaucracy, money gets eaten up in the details - any salaries, fundraising, office supplies, etc.

That being said, I don't think monetary donations can make the overpopulation problem go away. Throwing money at an issue doesn't always work. There needs to be a push towards responsible owner legislation - I'd like to see massive fines for owners who choose not to sterilize their pets. AND there need to be more people who DO something...foster. No amount of money is going to give a dog a loving home environment. That takes real people who give a crap. A steady decline of accidental births and a steady increase of willing temporary homes - those are the only things that will bring this depressing issue to an end.

:appl: :appl: :appl: Yup! Another way to help is to flag puppy listings on craigslist. Those people really need to stop using their dog as an ATM and get a job. I just saw one craigslist ad yesterday that said "Will trade puppy for Ipad". Really? :angryfire:

Legitimate breeders show or race their dogs, and have one litter once a year (at most) to stock their kennels. They also do extensive genetic and health testing to ensure they are furthering the breed. Legitimate breeders take back the dog if the owner can no longer care for the dog, for life. They take responsibility for the lives they put into the world. Even rare breeds have rescues close to every state.

Our taxes pay to euthanize animals that shouldn't be here in the first place - so even non-animal lovers should be outraged by anyone breeding unnecessarily. If you want your kids to see the miracle of life, offer to foster an expectant mom dog or to bottle feed one of her many puppies. <end rant> :cheeky: Monday morning rant!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results