shape
carat
color
clarity

and the little one said roll over, roll over..but there was no more room

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I have reached or about to reach a crisis point in my life and I am confused and a bit scared.

It is my dream to qualify as a Solicitor, I have wanted that for as long as I can remember.

This is the short version:

Ireland seems to be a very ''who you know'' type country. I know nobody. My family have not spoken to me in almost 10 years so I do not have any family connections.

To qualify you must pass entrance exams, obtain an apprenticeship, serve for two years (ish) while studying in Dublin (or now Cork) and hey presto you qualify.

I have worked my backside off since I was 15 to get the points required in my secondary school exams to get to study law to finally qualify as a solicitor and it seems to have been a big fat waste of time. I cannot get in.

I worked hard, I got my degree, I passed the entrance exams but nobody will give me an apprenticeship. I have looked since 2005 and nothing, not even a whiff.

It is breaking my heart. This is what I want to do and it come down to this. I cannot get in. So either I am not good enough or it is a private members club and I am not invited.

I am now no longer working (finished working as a legal secretary) and I feel like I am standing on the plank. I have three choices as I see it. A. Continue to search for the Holy Grail; which may not exist for me. B. Give up and get a job doing whatever. C. Go back any try to get another job as a legal secretary, take more crap and probably be no closer to an apprenticeship anyway.

DH is fully supportive but edging towards give it all up. The never-ending search and sound of proverbial slamming doors is sometimes unbearable and he only wants me to be happy.

What is a girl to do?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh honey - that sounds dreadful. I am so so sorry you are in that situation.

First of all, give yourself a huge mental hug/pat on the back for the incredible amount of hard work it sounds like you have done, because you really have worked incredibly hard and you should be incredibly proud of yourself no matter what.

Then, if you can, tell us a little bit more about your apprenticeship search. How are you searching? Are you sending out letters? Making phone calls? Going in person? I''ve heard that this last can be the most effective, as it shows how very badly you want the position. Have you been persistent about following up? I know its probably considered rude over there, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and call someone or go to their office and badger them about why you didn''t get something, so you can figure out how to get it the next time (or they eventually give in and give it to you - that''s how I got into my first laboratory as an undergraduate).

Are there organizations you could join, or find out when/where their events are to attend and try to, as we say in the states, network (meet people and make connections)? Even if it just starts as a non-threatening thing - i.e can I buy you lunch and hear about how you got to where you are in your career" with no hint of a job search in mind, it can turn into a valuable connection.

Without knowing more about your search thus far its tough to give more specific advice. But let me just say this to try to give you hope: I''ve had a very successful academic career in the US thus far without the connections you speak of, watching people all around me who do have them have an easier time of it. I just had to work harder, be more persistent, etc... Now I''m applying for jobs, and as much as I''m terrified by how competitive what I want to get into is, and how connected a lot of others around me seem, I know that persistence and hard work have paid off thus far.

You clearly have incredible persistence and know how to work very hard, and I have faith that if this is what you want, there will be a way.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
p.s. Also, it seems like the open-endedness (not a word, I know
20.gif
) is really getting to you too. Can you set yourself a timeline of some sort - for example if no progress has been made by X date, then you''ll re-evaluate. Just because that would give both you and your husband something to look to as a definite date to consider things, and not have to take the time and emotional energy to be constantly re-evaluating, which is exhausting and can slow you down in your search for sure.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a church, a homeowners association, or some other non-work group that you belong to? You never know who knows who out there and may be able to provide you with a hook up. My alumni association also hosts quarterly networking meetings for just that purpose. It never hurts to check around!

If it were me, I''d probably take option b just to have the $$ coming in, but still keep looking for the apprenticeship that you really want.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 11:26:29 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Oh honey - that sounds dreadful. I am so so sorry you are in that situation.
Thank you so much for support, I need it today, I am delighted your perseverance paid off. Well done!

First of all, give yourself a huge mental hug/pat on the back for the incredible amount of hard work it sounds like you have done, because you really have worked incredibly hard and you should be incredibly proud of yourself no matter what.

Then, if you can, tell us a little bit more about your apprenticeship search. How are you searching? Are you sending out letters? Yes Making phone calls? Yes Going in person? Yes I''ve heard that this last can be the most effective, as it shows how very badly you want the position. Have you been persistent about following up? Yes I know its probably considered rude over there, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and call someone or go to their office and badger them about why you didn''t get something, so you can figure out how to get it the next time (or they eventually give in and give it to you - that''s how I got into my first laboratory as an undergraduate). I have done it all, round 1 i sent out letters over 500 of them at 55cents a pop that got me nothing except two empty printer cartridges and about €300 lighter. Then i telephoned. Then I called and asked for contacts, did that have current apprentices I could speak to, did that firm ever hire in the past, could I come and have work experience for FREE! Then I e-mailed, called to follow up on e-mails. I have walked in - that is highly frowned upon. I was told by solicitors to do that even told to book fake appointments and whip out my CV and say hows about hiring me. I almost did that once but another soliciotor said if I did that to him he would be disgusted and never in a million years hire me. So i gave the walk in''s a miss for a while.

Are there organizations you could join, or find out when/where their events are to attend and try to, as we say in the states, network (meet people and make connections)? Even if it just starts as a non-threatening thing - i.e can I buy you lunch and hear about how you got to where you are in your career'' with no hint of a job search in mind, it can turn into a valuable connection. I have voluntereed up to twice monthly for over two years now at a legal advice clinic which puts me side by side with anything up to 5 solicitors/barristers per session. They are wonderfully sympathetic but either will not consider me or have just taken on their sister''s cousins dog waker''s brother and are booked up for the next fifty years. I have become so brazen at these sessions asking, handing out C.V''s and following up thereafter.

Without knowing more about your search thus far its tough to give more specific advice. But let me just say this to try to give you hope: I''ve had a very successful academic career in the US thus far without the connections you speak of, watching people all around me who do have them have an easier time of it. I just had to work harder, be more persistent, etc... Now I''m applying for jobs, and as much as I''m terrified by how competitive what I want to get into is, and how connected a lot of others around me seem, I know that persistence and hard work have paid off thus far.

You clearly have incredible persistence and know how to work very hard, and I have faith that if this is what you want, there will be a way.
Regarding the highlighted bit, I am really starting to wonder. It seems that all around me people are getting breaks. I have worked for every last thing in my life and I am starting to feel that working hard is not enough any more. No matter how hard the mousey runs on his exercise wheel, how effectively and competently he runs, he is still going nowhere.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 11:28:55 AM
p.s. Also, it seems like the open-endedness (not a word, I know
20.gif
) is really getting to you too. Can you set yourself a timeline of some sort - for example if no progress has been made by X date, then you''ll re-evaluate. Just because that would give both you and your husband something to look to as a definite date to consider things, and not have to take the time and emotional energy to be constantly re-evaluating, which is exhausting and can slow you down in your search for sure.
Thanks again for the reply AG. You hit the nail on the head there. I hoped to be qualified this year and I am not even past the front door. I spoke to DH last night and said I would look at October as a deadline.

But what then, I give up. And do what? What else can I do.....
39.gif

I feel so confused. I thought about going down to the Courthouse tomorrow with a sandwichboard on me saying GIVE ME AN APPRENTICESHIP....PLEASE! That is probably a bad idea. But then again.......

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 11:34:17 AM
Author: krispi
Do you have a church, a homeowners association, or some other non-work group that you belong to? You never know who knows who out there and may be able to provide you with a hook up. My alumni association also hosts quarterly networking meetings for just that purpose. It never hurts to check around!

If it were me, I''d probably take option b just to have the $$ coming in, but still keep looking for the apprenticeship that you really want.

Thanks Krispie,

This is more of it, I had to move home 5 times in the past year so I barely know which way to go home never mind have any chance to find time to meet the neighbours. My Alumni accoc does not want to know. They say they cannot help, neither does the law school.
I am a member of that advice group I mentioned above but that has got me nowhere except proven this is the career I would love. My contacts will salute me in the street and offer any apprenticeship to their family/friends.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 11:59:39 AM
Author: Steel

Thanks again for the reply AG. You hit the nail on the head there. I hoped to be qualified this year and I am not even past the front door. I spoke to DH last night and said I would look at October as a deadline.

39.gif

I feel so confused. I thought about going down to the Courthouse tomorrow with a sandwichboard on me saying GIVE ME AN APPRENTICESHIP....PLEASE! That is probably a bad idea. But then again.......
In all honesty... put on your best suit, take your nicest briefcase, and a pack of CV''s. You''ll get alot of attention, if not a that apprenticeship you''re so longing for. Who knows?!?! You''ve tried everything else!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Let me clarify...

In order to keep my CV clean for interviews I should stay in a legal office.

My last job ended because I was working for an obsessive personality (
19.gif
). So if I want to stay on track I should get another legal sec job but from what I hear it is hard to get into a respectful office - meaning not screamed at every 15/30 mins. I would make more money, locally and without stress working in admin etc but then I would have to explain on my CV why I moved from legal sec to admin and that would not be smiled upon at interview for an apprenticeship - If I get an interview. I do not have much more strength to take abuse at work, working for somebody who will not give me an apprenticeship just so as I can keep on the 'scene' for an interview for an apprenticeship I may never get anyway.

I feel as if I should get another legal sec job. I enjoy the work of a legal sec but I cannot take any more abuse at work not at the moment. If I give it up I might be giving up my apprenticeship (which doesn’t even exist) also.

7.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Meresal - Many thanks for the reply.
35.gif
But do not tempt me. I am a woman on the verge already!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 12:06:57 PM
Author: meresal
Date: 6/26/2008 11:59:39 AM

39.gif

In all honesty... put on your best suit, take your nicest briefcase, and a pack of CV''s. You''ll get alot of attention, if not a that apprenticeship you''re so longing for. Who knows?!?! You''ve tried everything else!!

Ditto :)

Steel I hate to see anyone give up a dream so personally I would encourage you too keep going even if it seems hopeless at the moment, I think your on the right track about working within the law fields best way to keep making contacts and getting your foot further in that door.

I don''t know what other advise to give you but just wanted to lend my support.

On another new agey note: positive thinking and changing mindsets, one of my friends once told me that if you constantly want something that in life that is all you will be handed but rather if you visualize that you have attained something that is what you will end up with. Heck it can''t hurt to try.

Best of luck

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the sandwich-board sign idea too. Maybe not literally, but figuratively, something like that. I mean, its worth a shot - just park yourself right outside the courthouse, and put up a sign or something, maybe even bring a folding table and a chair for yourself, with a big pile of CVs, and solicit everyone who walks by for help.

Also, the solicitors that you worked with at the legal clinic - were you ever able to follow up with them? Did they have friends or relatives or colleagues or anyone they could refer you to? I think in this case being persistent to the point of obnoxiousness is probably warranted...

Hera

Ideal_Rock
What''s a Solicitor? I thought those are people who sell you stuff (hence, soliciting).
34.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Steel, I just wanted to say I totally sympathize. As you can see in my other thread, I''ve been feeling trapped in my current job/company for a LONG time. I''ve sent out resumes for years, followed up, and gotten no responses whatsoever. I finally have my first glimmer of hope in at least 6-7 years, and I''m so excited and so nervous it won''t work out. I know it''s easier said than done, but keep at it. My potential opportunity came about because a guy at my church casually asked how work was going - it all snowballed from there. You never know what''s going to click, but I''m sure somewhere along the way, one of your efforts will pay off.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Another idea... I always meet people with great connections at Happy Hour. Maybe you should start drinking more?!?!
12.gif
31.gif
41.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww Steel-so sorry to hear that and I know exactly what you mean! I tried to get into veterinary for six years before I got in. Ireland is definitely a "who you know" place. Is it possible for you to get an apprentice abroad-would you do it or if you did it abroad would it be easier to get something in Ireland afterwards? I know how hard that decision is-I applied to all the colleges in the UK, but I wasn''t sure if I could have left everything over here. I really hope that you get it. You want it so bad.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
A couple of questions; you mention you don''t speak to your family but doesn''t your husband have a family? Aren''t there any relatives of his who have some contacts?

I have no idea how things work in Ireland, but here in the states it''s not about graduating, it''s about graduating in the top 10% of your class (law review, order of the coif, etc.) from a name university. If you didn''t then you would never get interviewed by a prestigious firm, and the only positions would be in the public sector, lessor firms, or opening your own practice.

Does it matter in Ireland what school you attended, and what grades you got? Is that a factor?

Can you get an apprenticeship with the government rather than private firms? I know apprentices usually don''t get paid much, but could you offer to work completely free for a year? Surely there''s a solicitor that would take a no cost apprentice?

As painful as it may be, have you asked any of the solicitors point blank why they are not interested?

I wish I had more advice, it''s certainly a strange process in Ireland
7.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Deelight, thank you for your support. I try to think positively but it does not always work and then I am glum again, glum and without a job or apprenticeship.

I do not want to give up, so much of my identity is wrapped up in my future life as a solicitor. If I give up that is all gone. Then again there is that story about flogging and a dead horse.....

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 4:09:22 PM
I actually like the sandwich-board sign idea too. Maybe not literally, but figuratively, something like that. I mean, its worth a shot - just park yourself right outside the courthouse, and put up a sign or something, maybe even bring a folding table and a chair for yourself, with a big pile of CVs, and solicit everyone who walks by for help.

Also, the solicitors that you worked with at the legal clinic - were you ever able to follow up with them? Did they have friends or relatives or colleagues or anyone they could refer you to? I think in this case being persistent to the point of obnoxiousness is probably warranted...
AG you are right. My self confidence and ability to puh myself has increased tenfold in this process. I have telephoned solicitors and invited them for coffee, stopped them in the street, while at the Courthouse, by letter, by e-mail. I have been nice, charming, persistent and probably in a few cases a stalker. Nada. I get a big fat Zero.

The solicitors have been very very sympathetic, "oh I know, I get many letters a week, yes it is hard to get an apprenticeship, I just gave one to my sister''s dog''s groomer, yes very hard, I would not want to be in your position, no I cannot give you one, i have a waitlist, no i will not add to the waitlist, no I do not have space for anybody to come on work experience, yes it is very difficult nowadays- well good luck,
35.gif
see ya, wouldn''t want to be ya!"

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 4:36:11 PM
Author: heraanderson
What''s a Solicitor? I thought those are people who sell you stuff (hence, soliciting*).
34.gif
In Ireland legal professionals are broken down into two categories: Solicitors and Barristers. This is from Wikipedia:

A solicitor is a term for lawyer in many common lawjurisdictions, such as the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada that may make a distinction regarding the type of work done. In some common law countries the legal profession is split between solicitors who represent and advise clients, and a barrister who is retained by a solicitor to advocate in a legal hearing or to render a legal opinion. There is no such split in Canada, some Australian jurisdictions, New Zealand, and the United States.

In some Australian states and in Canada the legal profession is "fused", which means that a lawyer can simultaneously be a solicitor, barrister, and proctor. Where the legal profession is not "fused" in cases where a trial is necessary a client must retain a solicitor, who will advise him or her and then may deliver a brief to a barrister to act on the solicitor''s instructions.

The United States never had a divided legal profession and had no need to fuse anything; outside government agencies * the term "solicitor" is merely "one who solicits", not a legal professional

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Krispi, I am so pleased that another opportunity has come your way. Yes I will try to keep positive and keep my eyes open for similar opportunities.

Meresal, I do not drink, well rarely anyway. I might have to take that up!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 7:30:21 PM
Author: bee*
Aww Steel-so sorry to hear that and I know exactly what you mean! I tried to get into veterinary for six years before I got in. Ireland is definitely a ''who you know'' place. Is it possible for you to get an apprentice abroad-would you do it or if you did it abroad would it be easier to get something in Ireland afterwards? I know how hard that decision is-I applied to all the colleges in the UK, but I wasn''t sure if I could have left everything over here. I really hope that you get it. You want it so bad.
Thanks Bee.

This is more of my problem. DH is in the public service and earns a super wage. If I want to qualify elsewhere I would have to go alone as his job would not be left open for him and is non-transferable. He has one of those ''jobs for life'' if you get my drift
28.gif
. I am prepared to move anywhere in Ireland, I do not want to but I will and have applied nationally. Ireland does allow for a transfer so that you can sit an exam to obtain your practising cert here, so I could qualify elsewhere and come back, but again I would have to leave DH here. We are moving into our self build home in less than 3 months and the thought of upping sticks and moving away from him to another country for the best part of two years is terrible. But is that the point, should I be willing to do that?
20.gif
i do not know what to do. how much is too much, how far is too far?

What should I be willing to do / give up for my dream job? -- Which I may never get.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 9:00:45 PM
Author: purrfectpear
A couple of questions; you mention you don''t speak to your family but doesn''t your husband have a family? Aren''t there any relatives of his who have some contacts? Nope.

I have no idea how things work in Ireland, but here in the states it''s not about graduating, it''s about graduating in the top 10% of your class (law review, order of the coif, etc.) from a name university. If you didn''t then you would never get interviewed by a prestigious firm, and the only positions would be in the public sector, lessor firms, or opening your own practice. I would not even dream of getting accepted to the top 5. I just want any apprenticship, bog standard will do fine. I will even pay my own fees - €11,000. I would work for free if I could.

Does it matter in Ireland what school you attended, and what grades you got? Is that a factor? Only for the top 5 firms. You do not even have to have a law degree to complete this process. How screwed up is that? If you have a degree (any degree- knitting and wallpaper hanging will do as long as it is from a National University of Ireland) you can go ahead and sit the entrance exams to the law school, pass them, hunt for an apprenticeship, serve, study and qualify. If you do not have a degree or exterience in a legal office (yup clerk experience will get you though also) you must sit one general exam on English Politics and Gernal Affairs then go on the the entrance exams... So anybody who knows somebody who will give them an apprenticeship can get in.

Can you get an apprenticeship with the government rather than private firms? Nope I know apprentices usually don''t get paid much, but could you offer to work completely free for a year? Surely there''s a solicitor that would take a no cost apprentice? I thought this too. It is crazy. The very short version is that they have to pay me, under the terms of the indentures they have to pay their apprentice minimum wage - including the time the apprentice will be at school in year 2. I worked out one gloomy night that based on the law school''s min wage it would cost the Solicitors firm €25k to hire 1 apprentice for the full term. Let me add that some of this time the apprentice will be in school and not working and even when they are working they would take up a lot of valuable time where the solr has to explain guide and ''bring along'' the apprentice. Now do you want to hire me?

As painful as it may be, have you asked any of the solicitors point blank why they are not interested? I know that the introduction of PIAB which is a mandatory alternative to mediate disputes reduced litigation drastically. This came in four years ago. Also the slow down in the housing market crippled some conveyancing firms. But really, I have looked at the figures graduating from the school and they have increased on every year so although the work may in fact be slowing down the figures qualifying and therfore having secured and apprenticehip have not. It seems if you know somebody you are in of not you are not.

I wish I had more advice, it''s certainly a strange process in Ireland
7.gif

I have often wondered if there are any other professions in which you must secure a job before you qualify; and that job will only take you through the qualification process.

Nobody wants to know, the Solicitors are very sympathetic but as you are not their relation, what do they care? How do I get in!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 6:21:29 AM
Date: 6/26/2008 7:30:21 PM

Author: bee*

Aww Steel-so sorry to hear that and I know exactly what you mean! I tried to get into veterinary for six years before I got in. Ireland is definitely a ''who you know'' place. Is it possible for you to get an apprentice abroad-would you do it or if you did it abroad would it be easier to get something in Ireland afterwards? I know how hard that decision is-I applied to all the colleges in the UK, but I wasn''t sure if I could have left everything over here. I really hope that you get it. You want it so bad.

Thanks Bee.

This is more of my problem. DH is in the public service and earns a super wage. If I want to qualify elsewhere I would have to go alone as his job would not be left open for him and is non-transferable. He has one of those ''jobs for life'' if you get my drift
28.gif
. I am prepared to move anywhere in Ireland, I do not want to but I will and have applied nationally. Ireland does allow for a transfer so that you can sit an exam to obtain your practising cert here, so I could qualify elsewhere and come back, but again I would have to leave DH here. We are moving into our self build home in less than 3 months and the thought of upping sticks and moving away from him to another country for the best part of two years is terrible. But is that the point, should I be willing to do that?
20.gif
i do not know what to do. how much is too much, how far is too far?

What should I be willing to do / give up for my dream job? -- Which I may never get.

I know exactly what you''re saying. I was the exact same. I didn''t apply for veterinary in the UK for years as although it was my dream job, the thoughts of having to leave D and all the things that I have over here, I wasn''t sure which was worth it more. Did I want my dream job above having a happy life with D over here. Ugh it''s such a tough decision. I wish you luck with it. I wish that I knew someone in a firm that I could contact for you.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Steel, honey, I am without advice but I just wanted you to know that my heart goes out to you. I have experienced a taste of the frustration you have, as someone trying to get a job in the UK with 10 years of experience, with agencies telling me I was unqualified here and they would not bother trying to get me a job. It is so incredibly frustrating, and I can only imagine it is at least ten times as bad when it is in your own country, at home, with the qualifications but people are STILL not doing anything to help after so long.

It may sound cheesy, but I really do think it helps to see yourself accomplishing your dreams. I feel like I have had only a small handful of accomplishments in my life, and even though I just felt silly at the time, I would imagine the scene when I got a job here in the UK, or when I found out I was accepted to Cambridge, or whatever--I would chide myself for being goofy, but both those times that is exactly what happened! So, I don''t know if positive thinking really does anything tangible (like put you in the right frame of mind when in possibly advantageous situations) or if it was just coincidence, but either way, it''s definitely something I''m going to keep trying in the future, since it''s worked out well so far. Best wishes to you, my lovely, and I hope you don''t give up on your dreams! If it is something you think you will look back on a regret at a later time in your life, I think it is worth pursuing. *hugs* Maybe you just need a break for a while, before throwing yourself back into it, full steam ahead?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so so sorry that you are going through this! I can feel your pain to an extent, since I have been waiting for two years for academic jobs to appear in Canada in my field. Two years ago, there was 1 job (got an interview, they hired someone with much different research interests = fit issue). Last year there were NO jobs in Canada. I have a research position right now that is holding me over on the market, and I will have funding to see me through two more years waiting for jobs to appear. But it is bleak, as budget cuts are causing hiring freezes at many Canadian Universites. And the lack of jobs for the last two years means when jobs DO appear it will be a sellers market with lots of competition. So although our situations are identical, I can feel your pain.

I feel very very strongly that happiness and fullfillment in life can be found in many different ways. My mom always tought me that and it has gotten me through many a bleak career moment, let me tell you! Although I love my career, and I am very good at it, if a time comes where I have waited too long and cannot wait any more, I will change careers. My number one priority is being happy and contented, and there is not only one route in the world to that outcome! I have already decided on a few alternative career options that I will look into if this one doesn't work out within the next two years.

I know this is not the type of support you may want to hear, but I support your fulfillment, happiness, and satisfaction in your life, and if that is not going to be found in the career you have set your heart on--for whatever the reason--then I really think you should start trying to broaden your interests so that you can find a new passion in life that will allow you to be fulfilled. Set yourself a deadline for when you will stop this search to become a solicitor, pull out all the stops until that deadline, but also start thinking about other things you can do!

I know it feels terrible to even consider another career path, because it sounds like your identity has become really tied to this profession... and that is natural! When you are trying to pursue a really difficult goal, it can take a single-minded determination than verges on insanity, trust me, I know that feeling! But I am sure you have talents and capabilities that will allow you to excell in many different fields! The tenacity you have shown is by itself a tremendous asset to many different careers. If you let yourself become passionate about something else, then I am sure you will find a career that is open and available to you, but that you also love to pieces.

Perhaps start by making a list of the actual aspects of the solicitor job that you love, maybe using more abstract terms (e.g., if you love helping clients find solutions to their legal troubles, then perhaps "helping people in trouble" is a broader category you can list). Then once you have a long list, brainstorm other jobs that may include those elements. Then you can start looking into those jobs and seeing what qualifications are required etc. At the very least, this process will help distract you from the frustration you are feeling and make you feel a little more positive about the future.

Good luck honey, I wish you all the best in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results