shape
carat
color
clarity

Americans, how do you feel about America?

Americans, how do you feel about your country?

• 1 Worst country in the world

Votes: 5 6.4%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 2 2.6%

Votes: 10 12.8%

Votes: 5 6.4%

Votes: 15 19.2%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 10 Best country in the world

Votes: 27 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Non-US citizens, please don't vote.
Vote in the other one for Non-Americans.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I have to show my citizenship paper before I vote?.. :bigsmile: I believe that our country have been going down hill for the past 25 yrs but still the greatest country on earth,anyway I voted #10.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I love my home sweet home the USA though it has its problems.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#10 considering there is not another country I'd rather live in. But I agree with DF, there are a lot of problems.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Despite our problems, I can't think of anywhere I would rather live!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No doubt #10, I thank God everyday for being born here--however, we have significant problems, am fearful for this country & the direction we are heading.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oldminer|1404508068|3706875 said:

Lots of influences can be posted, both pro and con.
I'd rather Americans vote before viewing anything.
That way the poll results reflect how they really feel, not how something influenced their vote.

It would be equally unfair to skew the poll results by asking people to vote after being reminded of America's dark side.

screen_shot_2014-07-04_at_2.png

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am glad to be an American, not because of the acts of my government, but because of the opportunities my daughter has as an American, and because of the widespread acceptance of my interracial marriage/biracial daughter. I've lived in Europe, and all my inlaws are immigrants to various first world countries (coming themselves from a third world country) so that is the context in which I form my opinion.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is the sole "9" vote - honestly I think the US is just about the best country in the world, but without fact-checking I can't vote "10" - I will say I feel lucky to have been born here in the US - no country can be perfect IMHO due to the human factor as well as geographic/economic/philosophical factors - but I do love and respect our country, warts and all.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was born in the U.S. and am proud to be an American. I feel fortunate to have been born here and often think what a stroke of luck that I was born in a first-world country to parents who had initiative, drive and opportunity.

I didn't vote because my feelings for America are not based on its position relative to other countries. How do I know if it's the "best country in the world?" I haven't had the opportunity to experience living in all the other countries. I've only lived in one other country and I thought it was a fine country too. There were things about it that I thought were better than my native homeland and things that were not.

FWIW, I don't believe in "American Exceptionalism."

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
marymm|1404511069|3706924 said:
Mine is the sole "9" vote - honestly I think the US is just about the best country in the world, but without fact-checking I can't vote "10" - I will say I feel lucky to have been born here in the US - no country can be perfect IMHO due to the human factor as well as geographic/economic/philosophical factors - but I do love and respect our country, warts and all.

+1

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I voted 7. I love this country. I think it does better than almost any other countries on earth or in history (and the ones doing better are smaller, more homogenous, and have a considerably higher GDP, for a variety of reasons, which tends to give them a leg up in terms of legislation that can suit their masses). I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else, and the things that I think are flaws are things I'm doing everything in my power to better.

But I'm a first generation immigrant who had the benefit of being brought here by my folks when I was three months old - no accent, as a result, and I know for a fact I get less guff about being a foreigner than my folks or my friends who arrived after their intonations were more set. I'm white, cisgendered, and het-presenting ... I pass for being the default, and given that I live in one of the more diverse urban environments in the country, even the things that would make me an outlier in the heartland (being a Jew, being bi, being an atheist) don't put me too far out on the fringe locally. Through a combination of labor and luck, I'm doing fairly well financially. Would my answer change if any of those factors did? Quite possibly, since the growing inequality in this country scares me silly, and I'm one of the fortunate ones. I think that level of subjectivity is something it's important to take into account. Patriotism is well & good, but it's a relationship that goes both ways: a country that treats citizens well is likelier to engender it. For the most part, I think America does/is trying to do a great job. But I look at our prison system ... or our financial systems, for a oppositional corollary ... and I just kind of want to bury my head in my hands.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for that. And I had already voted #10 before reading one response because that is exactly how I feel. There is no better place on earth than right here. Sure we have problems but so does everywhere else. We, DH and I, have made our own way and worked hard to be successful and thank God we can be or do whatever we strive to. Our sons can do the same once they decide they are finished serving our country. There are some things that give me pause - entitlement mentality and laziness on the part of many. Our government is not helping this at all. But that is for another thread.

And I absolutely believe in American Exceptionalism - the traditional belief that the United States is qualitatively different from other nation states.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I had trouble deciding between 9 and 10. :D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1404516737|3706964 said:

Thank you for that. And I had already voted #10 before reading one response because that is exactly how I feel. There is no better place on earth than right here. Sure we have problems but so does everywhere else. We, DH and I, have made our own way and worked hard to be successful and thank God we can be or do whatever we strive to. Our sons can do the same once they decide they are finished serving our country. There are some things that give me pause - entitlement mentality and laziness on the part of many. Our government is not helping this at all. But that is for another thread.

And I absolutely believe in American Exceptionalism - the traditional belief that the United States is qualitatively different from other nation states.
That is our country's biggest problem now.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed with "entitlement mentality and laziness on the part of many," adding greed, corruption, immorality and criminality. The vast majority of Americans are good, hard-working, caring and productive people, but the "few rotten apples degrade the whole barrel."

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66 said:

+1 well said, redwood!

(and I agree with Miss Stepcut that I am more than thankful that our daughter who was adopted from a 3rd world country had the opportunity to join our family and become an American citizen and gain the freedom and opportunity which that offers.)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel very fortunate to live in the USA. I am thankful everyday.
Maybe the 2 people who think this is the "worst country" would rather be in North Korea, Syria or maybe Sudan.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
stracci2000|1404527083|3707039 said:
Maybe the 2 people who think this is the "worst country" would rather be in North Korea, Syria or maybe Sudan.

+1 to that, and well said missstepcut & diamondseeker!

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1404508191|3706878 said:

That way the poll results reflect how they really feel, not how something influenced their vote.

It would be equally unfair to skew the poll results by asking people to vote after being reminded of America's dark side.

Are you kidding me?? That is not "America's" darkside... So some soldiers who basically went rogue and did not follow military protocol decided to do some stuff and take pics (not good decisions) and you consider that to be owned by the whole military and the whole country?? The people behind were punished, and that is not in any way shape or form SOP for the US military. That example is .01% of 1% (as only 1% of people in the US serve in the military).

You also posted a pic, which is much different than an optional link that people can view separately if they'd like or not view if they wouldn't like, pic is visual and THAT will stay in the mind of anyone who looks at this thread. Just so beyond unnecessary to post that pic, that seems like it is trying to skew right there, you definitely know that anyone is going to see that pic without having to read through anything, they just scroll down and in your face there it is. You also could have posted a link, you chose not to, and posted the pic instead.

Meanwhile in Iraq right now, militants are cutting off heads and executing (in other ways) thousands who are not of their (the militants') background and who don't believe the same hardcore sh*t that they do. So let's see who is the better country, and which act is really worse... It is par for the course over there, they kill and torture thousands of their own people EVERY SINGLE DAY. Americans are better than that and that's why these soldiers were punished, but they and they alone went rogue and did some stuff they weren't supposed to and took pics of it, but again, it all pales in comparison to what they do to each other and innocent children everyday over there, which is far more disgusting than ANY of the pics from that prison.

Our military is the world's finest, they are sent away from their families for months, even years at a time, miss holidays, birthdays, even births, and of the ones who haven't lost their lives many have lost arms, legs, and their own independence to protect ours. So on this 4th of July when a poll is asked of how to rate the country you think somehow posting that pic "evens the score" b/c someone else posted a link positive video (which I haven't even viewed btw) you should think again about that pic being representative of our military, let alone our country. I highly doubt that any person is like "hmmm you know, that Abu Garaib scandal, I forgot about that, I was going to give it a 10 on the poll but now that I see that I think I need to change my vote to a 2". Just feel that pic post was so out of place and out of context.

So here is another one to put it into context... US soldiers who saved this boy's life after he was hit by an IED the terrorsts placed.

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/85768/us-soldiers-save-boys-life-kushamond-district#.U7eKuKhSLoB

Lest we forget our military builds schools, saves lives of not just our own but of others, and goes into areas after natural disasters like in Haiti (I'm sorry when was the last time the Chinese military was out helping after Haiti and Fukashima disaster, etc) I guess maybe the state of America is worse than we think, if that pic is the first thing our citizens go to reference when someone gives a poll about the US to try to skew it the other way just b/c someone posted a positive link that was not even able to be viewed directly on the thread.

I voted 9 in the poll. No place is ever perfect, therefore no place deserves a 10. I was originally thinking lower than 9 because I am beyond extremely disappointed with the way things are going in the country right now, but then I realized there is still no better place out there really, even with all of our problems, this is still a great place to live in and we should be thankful and I need to be more thankful. We just have to keep plugging on and trying to make it better and doing what American's do best, we are the kindest and most giving nation in the world. We are not even close to perfect, but there will never be such thing as a utopia anywhere. Super small countries with homogeneous populations may succeed better (as referenced by another poster as well), but our scale is so massive it is really not comparable, but no place is ever going to be perfect. But I am thankful for what we have here, as we have it really good compared to most others in the world, and because we also care about doing good for others.

450x300_q75-1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jillianfl|1404540820|3707125 said:
kenny|1404508191|3706878 said:

Are you kidding me?? That is not "America's" darkside... So some soldiers who basically went rogue and did not follow military protocol decided to do some stuff and take pics (not good decisions) and you consider that to be owned by the whole military and the whole country?? The people behind were punished, and that is not in any way shape or form SOP for the US military. That example is .01% of 1% (as only 1% of people in the US serve in the military).

You also posted a pic, which is much different than an optional link that people can view separately if they'd like or not view if they wouldn't like, pic is visual and THAT will stay in the mind of anyone who looks at this thread. Just so beyond unnecessary to post that pic, that seems like it is trying to skew right there, you definitely know that anyone is going to see that pic without having to read through anything, they just scroll down and in your face there it is. You also could have posted a link, you chose not to, and posted the pic instead.

Meanwhile in Iraq right now, militants are cutting off heads and executing (in other ways) thousands who are not of their (the militants') background and who don't believe the same hardcore sh*t that they do. So let's see who is the better country, and which act is really worse... It is par for the course over there, they kill and torture thousands of their own people EVERY SINGLE DAY. Americans are better than that and that's why these soldiers were punished, but they and they alone went rogue and did some stuff they weren't supposed to and took pics of it, but again, it all pales in comparison to what they do to each other and innocent children everyday over there, which is far more disgusting than ANY of the pics from that prison.

Our military is the world's finest, they are sent away from their families for months, even years at a time, miss holidays, birthdays, even births, and of the ones who haven't lost their lives many have lost arms, legs, and their own independence to protect ours. So on this 4th of July when a poll is asked of how to rate the country you think somehow posting that pic "evens the score" b/c someone else posted a link positive video (which I haven't even viewed btw) you should think again about that pic being representative of our military, let alone our country. I highly doubt that any person is like "hmmm you know, that Abu Garaib scandal, I forgot about that, I was going to give it a 10 on the poll but now that I see that I think I need to change my vote to a 2". Just feel that pic post was so out of place and out of context.

So here is another one to put it into context... US soldiers who saved this boy's life after he was hit by an IED the terrorsts placed.

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/85768/us-soldiers-save-boys-life-kushamond-district#.U7eKuKhSLoB

Lest we forget our military builds schools, saves lives of not just our own but of others, and goes into areas after natural disasters like in Haiti (I'm sorry when was the last time the Chinese military was out helping after Haiti and Fukashima disaster, etc) I guess maybe the state of America is worse than we think, if that pic is the first thing our citizens go to reference when someone gives a poll about the US to try to skew it the other way just b/c someone posted a positive link that was not even able to be viewed directly on the thread.

I voted 9 in the poll. No place is ever perfect, therefore no place deserves a 10. I was originally thinking lower than 9 because I am beyond extremely disappointed with the way things are going in the country right now, but then I realized there is still no better place out there really, even with all of our problems, this is still a great place to live in and we should be thankful and I need to be more thankful. We just have to keep plugging on and trying to make it better and doing what American's do best, we are the kindest and most giving nation in the world. We are not even close to perfect, but there will never be such thing as a utopia anywhere. Super small countries with homogeneous populations may succeed better (as referenced by another poster as well), but our scale is so massive it is really not comparable, but no place is ever going to be perfect. But I am thankful for what we have here, as we have it really good compared to most others in the world.

This is a poll.
A good poll samples opinions without influencing results to favor results the poll taker agrees with.

Skewing poll results by showing X or Y before answer a poll (as Oldminer recommended) is not poll taking.
It's quite something else.

How effective a picture is at influencing voting is not relevant to the point my post was making about good polling and honest results.

You are arguing with air.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1404502969|3706821 said:

Then you should have followed these two statements with "no comments allowed below, this is strictly a poll only"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jillianfl|1404542086|3707127 said:
kenny|1404502969|3706821 said:

Then you should have followed these two statements with "no comments allowed below, this is strictly a poll only"

HUH?

What planet are you from?
Apparently one where you can herd cats.

Micro-managing PS posters by telling them to not express themselves? :o
Good luck with that.

_382.png

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1404522134|3706998 said:
redwood66|1404516737|3706964 said:

That is our country's biggest problem now.

OMG you would JUST DIE if you visited this country (Australia) for two days...in comparison with our our own political culture my strong impression is that you have nothing to worry about in that department.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Born and bred USA citizen...I believe this country is no better, and no worse, than any other. Shocking, I know. Not sorry I never bought into all the propaganda. :wavey:
And JillianFL: do you honestly think that every other country is comparing themselves to the USA? I rather doubt they even think about us. Know why I know that? Because I've visited other countries and have been told they couldn't care less. But please, enlighten us as to how every other country strives to be just like the U.S. I'm super intrigued.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1404527083|3707039 said:

I have a lot Chinese friends who kept on telling me what a great country China is nowadays, so I said I'll buy you guys a plane ticket back to China but you can't return to the US again, and you know what?...not one of them have taken up on my offer yet.. :lol:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64 said:
Born and bred USA citizen...I believe this country is no better, and no worse, than any other. Shocking, I know. Not sorry I never bought into all the propaganda. :wavey:
And JillianFL: do you honestly think that every other country is comparing themselves to the USA? I rather doubt they even think about us. Know why I know that? Because I've visited other countries and have been told they couldn't care less. But please, enlighten us as to how every other country strives to be just like the U.S. I'm super intrigued.

+1

Not responding specifically to JillianFL but just general thoughts:

I think there is a distinct difference between being patriotic (loving one's country) and thinking you are inherently better than everyone else (as implied by the social commentators who use American exceptionalism as a term to describe how the US is the best country in the world, which suggests that they think all other countries are bad and interior.)

If you take American exceptionalism in its original sense, that the US is a unique nation, yes that is true. However, all countries are unique, it's the US that makes a big deal about how special a snowflake the country is (haha I work in education and see a lot of parents who are convinced their kid is the best and brightest child ever. Obviously they can't all be right..) Actually a particularly virulent form of nationalism is becoming prevalent in China too that has some similar overtones of Chinese "exceptionalism", it makes me very sad to see it. It is discouraging to see people use patriotism as an excuse to feel superior to others.

Personally I think the whole Westphalian concept of country and nation state is a bit artificial and arbitrary. In China there are many very different ethnic groups with different cultures and languages even within one country. It's the same in the US. And let's not get started about the UK (living in the UK for many years, I quickly learned the cultural differences of being Welsh, Scottish, English etc..not to mention the further subdivisions of Yorkshire, Cornwall, Devon, Essex etc) :D.

Eta: disclaimer. I am not American but have lived in the US before. Husband is American. I live in a place where many people we know have multiple nationalities and passports and travel a lot so my definition of nationality may be a little fluid. People in our social circle tend to think of themselves as citizens of the world rather than of one particular country. So maybe I have a viewpoint that will be in the minority here on a predominantly American forum. However I guess we still have freedom of speech and the right to disagree? :razz:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1404542896|3707130 said:

Rationality, I love it.

As a dual citizen, I voted in both polls. 7. Perhaps an 8 would be more accurate. There are probably 5-7 other countries I could be convinced are just as good as the States. A giant list of pros and cons, each offers something great. I do cringe when people who do not possess a passport triumphantly exclaim that their country (the US or elsewhere) is the best - how can they know that? Ranking one's country as 'the best' just feels...arrogant? It is no secret that I adore my adopted home, but even then I would give it a 9. I've not lived in Sweden - perhaps it is better, I wouldn't presume to know.. :wavey:

There is no doubt there is PLENTY for Americans to be proud of (I can't overstate that fact), which is really what the 4th of July is about. Celebrate the ingenuity, the bravery, the dedication, the generosity of the American people. You don't have to be the undeniable greatEST to be GREAT. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results