shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazing Cat Litter is Amazing

LGK

Ideal_Rock
So I bought this weird kind of silica dessicant gel cat litter the other day. OMG it's awesome! Maybe everyone else knows about it already but just in case you hadn't, I figured I'd mention it because it's been seriously a godsend.

You see, we got stuck with the litter box in the kitchen. The elderly girl kitty was too old to go downstairs to use the box, and thus, we had to put it near her after she decided to protest the previous location of the box and pee everywhere. So, of course, the hyperthyroid cat O.P. has The Butt of Doom. And excellent timing. You sit down to eat, O.P. bombs the box. You have guests, he decides to stink the whole house up. He just has ultra stinky poo from his thyroid condition, and though it looks healthier after we've been getting his meds closer to right, it still smells of death. So four or five times a day usually (maybe a little less as the thyroid condition has been under control lately) you have to deal with O.P. butt stench. I have a pet Febreze bottle I labeled "Anti O.P. Ass Spray" that I chase him around with. But it can only do so much.

So anyway. On to the new litter. I had to scrub out all the remnants of the clumpy litter left, then filled it up with the full bag of Amazing Cat Litter, which was perhaps a bit more than you're supposed to use but whatever. It's like $7ish a bag. So what it's supposed to do, is absorb the pee completely and you pick out the turds once a day and stir it. And it's totally non-trackable and supposedly is great for trapping smell.

So after getting the box all set up, I heated up some soup and sat down to eat it. And so of course O.P. is in there digging instantly (oooh human is eating! Must poop!) And wow! Seriously it completely eliminated the Butt Aroma of Doom, no kidding. Completely. I mean you used to be able to smell Eau d'O.P. when you walked in the door two levels down- now, you can stand right over the box and not smell a single thing.

All the cats were fine with the change over (yay!) in fact Rat was so in love with the new litter he kept jumping in and digging just for fun :rolleyes: It's especially loud and rattly so I guess that's quite entertaining to him.

Also it is truly not trackable. I mean, sure, my cats dig to China in the box and do kick a tiny bit out, but it doesn't stick to their paws at all, which was a huge problem with both the longhair boys- their tufty toes attracted the clumpy litter terribly so you spend soooo much time de-littering the house it's ridiculous- it ends up on the couches, the beds, the staircase, and so on, even with constant vigilance. (And O.P. especially would step in his fresh pee clumps and get wet gooey clay allll over his fluffy feeties which was so utterly nasty.)

DH was so thrilled (he does most of the sweeping) that he seriously knelt down and kissed my foot, lol. Anyway. If anyone hasn't tried this stuff totally do. It's supposed to last about 80 days without changing for one cat, 30 days for three. So far so good! And way, way cheaper than the clay stuff too. Oh and it's totally non-toxic which is great too.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Where, oh where, oh WHERE can I get this stuff?!??!?!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
We have been on the same journey these past few weeks and I ended up with original feline pine. One of my guys was ending up with "cement toes" from the clay litter. I looked at the crystals, but thought they might not accept it.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1296519474|2838718 said:

+1

Yes please... do tell where I can get some of this wonderfulness!!!!!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well at first I got all excited, but oddly, although their corporate office is in Portland, Oregon, 5 hours north of me they don't list any retailers in Oregon. I emailed them to find out why and am waiting for a response.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Non cat owner here, but this post is adorable. Glad it's working!

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
Another here wanting to know where you get this stuff from! I've been using World's Best Cat Littler and dusty footprints tend to show up on my couch from it.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds great, but I am a little concerned about what happens if a kitty ingests some of the litter. Were there any warnings on the bag or box? If it dries up the pee and poop, what would it do in the tummy or gut? Anyone know?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I got it at Fred Meyer, a local NW chain store that has a full grocery store, clothing dept, and everything else under the sun. But Amazing Cat Litter does have a website too.

Apparently it's totally non toxic. It's just silica. I think a cat couldn't swallow it IMO- it would probably stick to the tongue. But since the crystals are pretty big I haven't seen any stuck to kitty toes yet.

There was another brand of exactly the same stuff (silica dessicant gel litter) right next to the Amazing. I'll look next time I'm at FM and see what it was- it was like $1 more so I got this kind instead- but I'm sure they're identical since there's only the one ingredient.

One of my friends said her cat's vet uses it, too.

ETA: Amazon lists a lot of brands available actually, but most are significantly more expensive than the Amazing Cat Litter was (yet still, cheaper than clumping especially in terms of how little one needs to change it): http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...rden&hvadid=2983849945&ref=pd_sl_542zuy634i_b

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From vetinfo.com

Silica Cat Litter Concerns

Silica dust contains silica particles and is a known human carcinogen according to the International Agency on Cancer. Breathing in this silica dust may pose a health risk to you and your cat.

Prolonged exposure to crystalline silica dust has been associated with silicosis (a non-cancerous, sometimes fatal lung disease), bronchitis and tuberculosis in humans.

In cats, inhaling the silica dust can cause respiratory infections. If your cat ingests the silica while cleaning its paws, the silica may accumulate in your cat's intestines over a period of time causing health problems. When ingested, the litter will expand and absorb moisture in the intestines preventing the absorption of nutrients as well as cause dehydration and blockages.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I spent some quality time on google- thanks for the post btw Matata- and apparently regular litter dust is the same stuff, silica, so it's no worse than what they've used for years anyway I guess. Plus the gel crystals were *way* less dusty than the clumpy stuff when I dumped them in, and they'e much bigger granuals. I'll ask my vet what they think when I haul O.P. in next, but I know several local vets do use the crystal stuff. I think perhaps nothing is perfect, ya know? For now I'm happy nobody's eating craploads of peed on clay off their toes, frankly.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use World's Best Cat Litter. It contains no silica but does have some dust. My favorite litter is wood stove pellets (there are similar pellets made expressly as litter). However, with three Savannah cats who pee like stallions, it became too much work to keep the boxes clean.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I use this stuff in my automatic cat box (which, btw, is also amazing), and I'm a fan. I actually just had to get my kitten neutered, and I was freaking out about infection, since he absolutely and totally refused to consider shredded paper as an alternative: according to my shelter, this stuff also has no risk for infection. Win all around, I think! And, yes, I was totally cracking up about the potty issues - how do they know that the best time to, er, output, is when the humans are inputting? It is either uncanny, or a sign that cats have the humor of 2-year olds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, of course amazing cat litter is amazing.

If amazing cat litter wasn't amazing, it wouldn't be amazing cat litter.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tautological cat is tautological!

I do wish we had a .gif for this, really I do. But, given the look the cat gave me when I had to take a stool sample from the litter box ("Lady, why are you stealing my poo?"), I have the sneaking suspicion that attempting to take photos will brand me, irretrievably, a pervert in his mind.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I can't stand chemicals in cat litter. Urgh. I want to get it out of the house asap.
I can't buy cat litter at the grocery store, stuff like that, the chemicals, the perfume, I can't.

So I found pine pellets, first at Wal-Mart (very expensive) and then at the feed store in bulk (very cheap).

I've recently switched to cedar shaving from the feed store (practically free, it lasts for so long).

My advice for cat owners is find a feed store (some of this product is sold as animal bedding, it's not sold as "cat litter")
and try out pine pellets and ceder shavings (there are different companies, slightly different manufacturing techniques, etc.).

The most recent ceder shavings I bought (same store, this is just what they had this time) came from cedar board that I
believe had some slight chemicals in it, but it's not bad enough to throw it away; next time I'll ask for the first product or I'll go
back to pine pellets.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's probably like anything else: you have to weigh out the pros and cons and decide what's important in your particular situation. For you, LGK, I can see where this is a miracle product. For me, though, one of my kitties is a confirmed litter muncher. He doesn't eat much, but every time I change the litter, he likes to sample the new stuff, so I don't think I'd like to risk it with the crystals.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I've seen that cat litter and tried it one time, but my cat didn't like the texture of the litter and refused to use it as his box. I have recently switched to World's Best cat litter with great success.

x4d2r6nb

Rough_Rock
I got my Amazing Cat Litter in the Shoprite in NJ. Check out other supermarkets as they might have it too. I bought it because it is way cheaper than some of the other brands. Cost was just 8.00 for 8 lbs. I am using it in an automatic litter box. It seems like it is working better than the litter recommended for the machine. No odor, less tracking and I use less than the name brand.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the plug for Amazing cat litter, LGK. I've never tried it before. Do you know if it's flushable?

We use Swheatscoop, mainly because it's a) natural, b) not dusty, and c) flushable.

http://swheatscoop.com/

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1296524172|2838803 said:
I got it at Fred Meyer, a local NW chain store that has a full grocery store, clothing dept, and everything else under the sun. But Amazing Cat Litter does have a website too.

Fred Meyer ROCKS! One of my fav. stores! lol

Thanks for recommending this....we'll try it. I must be weird as I was reading your post while eating breakfast. lol

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Not available near me. Oh well.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Well, it sounds truly amazing! I have one doubt that keeps me from using clumping litters at all. You can pick out the clumps but it seems to me there are still germs in the litter that's left. Especially w/multiple cats, I fear a family of bacteria turning quickly into a whole city of them & getting passed back & forth. There's icky goo on the edges of the litter box of friends who use clumping litter that made me want to barf. Germ City. So I still use the old-fashioned kind & change it every day.

Anybody have reassuring ideas about this?

--- Laurie

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1296531902|2838943 said:
I can't stand chemicals in cat litter. Urgh. I want to get it out of the house asap.
I can't buy cat litter at the grocery store, stuff like that, the chemicals, the perfume, I can't.

So I found pine pellets, first at Wal-Mart (very expensive) and then at the feed store in bulk (very cheap).

I've recently switched to cedar shaving from the feed store (practically free, it lasts for so long).

My advice for cat owners is find a feed store (some of this product is sold as animal bedding, it's not sold as "cat litter")
and try out pine pellets and ceder shavings (there are different companies, slightly different manufacturing techniques, etc.).

The most recent ceder shavings I bought (same store, this is just what they had this time) came from cedar board that I
believe had some slight chemicals in it, but it's not bad enough to throw it away; next time I'll ask for the first product or I'll go
back to pine pellets.

I like that idea.
Wood shavings are more natural, instead of being manufactured so they must be much more green.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I tried swheatscoop too but the cats tracked it all over.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
TubTub|1296601398|2839855 said:
poshpepper|1296520719|2838755 said:
poshpepper|1296520537|2838747 said:
princesss|1296519474|2838718 said:

+1

Yes please... do tell where I can get some of this wonderfulness!!!!!!!

Just found this... maybe helpful: http://www.amazingcatlitter.com/where-to-buy.html

I bought it at Kroger...which isn't listed on their site. I found out by e-mailing [email protected] to see if they could sell it to me directly. They referred me to my local Kroger supermarket. Hope this helps! ~ TubTub
Kroger owns the Fred Meyer chain I'm pretty sure, so that makes sense!

MC, so you're another fan of Freddie's huh? Groceries are much cheaper there than like Top Foods, which is the only other decent option near me. Much cheaper.

Jewelfreak- yes, the clumpy stuff did have some grody aspects to it. I had to seriously scrub the box out to get rid of that goop before it was clean enough to switch to this kind- plus, O.P. especially was talented at at getting said goop all over his feets. The info on the bag said the silica gel inhibits bacterial growth and the info I found online seemed to support that idea too, so I don't think it's too likely any bacteria are planning a world takeover starting with our litter box. Frankly it seems a lot less gross all the way around than the clay kinds. No smell at all, even after lots of peeing. No clumps. No littery bits on my couch. No littery bits on my bed. Or damp clay pawprints in the hallway. It's kinda nice, the house is definitely staying cleaner longer.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1296531902|2838943 said:

My famously frugal brother uses the pine pellets you get for pellet stoves for his cat.

Me, I prefer to use clumping litter.

How interesting that this thread is attracting so many first-time posters! :wink2:

TubTub

Rough_Rock
TubTub|1296607558|2840021 said:
Kroger does own Fred Meyer, so I guess Amazing Cat Litter must be sold in all Kroger owned stores. When I e-mailed Amazing Cat Litter they listed tons of other store options not listed on the website. Again, anyone looking to pick up this 'miracle in a bag' I would suggest e-mailing [email protected] and asking where else it's available. It has changed my life! :wink2: oh...and the life of my four furry luvs. Meooow. ~TubTub

Bought some more last night at Kroger and noticed it was on sale for $1.00 off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results