shape
carat
color
clarity

Amanda Knox to be retried for murder???

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you kidding? Ludicrous. Just unbelievable.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Those Italians are just nuts, seriously what is wrong with them? :cry:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly cannot even believe that the US would even turn her over to allow it at this point. I'd want to know the reasoning for it, frankly.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I agree 100% with you iLander and ame. I do not think the US will extradite her to Italy. No way. She will be tried in absentia and then, no matter the verdict, she will not be sent back to Italy. I hope! And truthfully, I am shocked about this retrial. I really thought Italy was smarter than this. It must be politics as usual-meaning it has little to do with common sense sadly. I guess our countries are not that different in that respect. ::)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The whole thing was crazy from the beginning. I'm amazed they're letting it drag on. I doubt she'll be extradited too. That would be the ultimate crazy.

--- Laurie

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering the same thing, what if she refused to appear?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I just saw on the news that Amanda will not be going back to Italy. She is being tried in absentia. The report also indicated it could take up to 4 years to get it resolved.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I feel for her exboyfriend. He needs to get out of Italy asap. This whole case was bad from the beginning, such a black eye for the italian legal system. That prosecuter is nuts and belongs in jail. But, I have to say, we are no better here. Have you seen all the people released after being convicted? It makes you think, how many innocent people have been put to death?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
ame|1364303872|3413615 said:
I honestly cannot even believe that the US would even turn her over to allow it at this point. I'd want to know the reasoning for it, frankly.

Ame, the article I read today said that she does not have to go to Italy for the hearing, and that the U.S. would almost certainly not extradite her. It's just a moot point really, unless she really wants to go to Italy for vacation in the future!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought of her bf too Nonie. I am not sure he can leave the country if he hasn't already. Personally, I would have gotten the heck out as soon as they released me from jail but not sure if he did and now I doubt they would let him go if he's still in Italy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot believe the verdict. I guess thinking the justice system would come to their collective senses was unreasonable on my part. Definition of insanity and all. The Italian justice system has already shown their true colors and all.

Do you think the USA might extradite Amanda after the appeals are exhausted?

And that poor boy...

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sad for her. What a nightmare she has been through.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I was shocked too. There doesn't seem to be any evidence, it's based on her character, which has been blown out of proportion by the European tabloids. On top of all that they actually HAVE the guy that did it.

It's a witch hunt.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1391183525|3605011 said:
I cannot believe the verdict. I guess thinking the justice system would come to their collective senses was unreasonable on my part. Definition of insanity and all. The Italian justice system has already shown their true colors and all.

Do you think the USA might extradite Amanda after the appeals are exhausted?

And that poor boy...
I am not entirely shocked, frankly, because it just seems baseless and political. I don't think she's innocent, but I don't know that she's guilty of murder either. But I can't even imagine she'll be sent back. I don't forsee the US letting her out.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's like falling through the hole into Wonderland. I'm really stunned. The whole thing is so out there in the 1st place, no evidence, no motive except several stories from a cheap movie -- when one didn't work, the prosecutor tried another.

I can't believe the U.S. would extradite her -- she has one point in her favor in that by U.S. law she was subject to double jeopardy, being tried again after being found innocent. I hope fervently that our gov't will refuse extradition.

Poor Sollecito was so confident it was nuts that he went to the hearing. Was he taken into custody? Haven't seen anything on that.

Yes, obviously they have the guy who did it -- or had him. What did he get? Something like 6 months? Insanity everywhere.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1391193431|3605183 said:
It's like falling through the hole into Wonderland. I'm really stunned. The whole thing is so out there in the 1st place, no evidence, no motive except several stories from a cheap movie -- when one didn't work, the prosecutor tried another.

I can't believe the U.S. would extradite her -- she has one point in her favor in that by U.S. law she was subject to double jeopardy, being tried again after being found innocent. I hope fervently that our gov't will refuse extradition.

Poor Sollecito was so confident it was nuts that he went to the hearing. Was he taken into custody? Haven't seen anything on that.

Yes, obviously they have the guy who did it -- or had him. What did he get? Something like 6 months? Insanity everywhere.

--- Laurie

Yes, he was eventually. It appears that he was trying to leave Italy and was caught at the border with Austria.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a bizarre case. It got huge coverage in Europe at the time and Amanda was definitely not painted in a good light. But to be convicted of murder on so little evidence is crazy.
...[/quote]I don't think she's innocent, but I don't know that she's guilty of murder either..[/quote]
I am with ame on this one. I do believe that Amanda and her ex boyfriend know something about this case, but don't think they are guilty of the murder itself.

I feel so sorry for the poor family of Merideth (the girl who was murdered), this case has dragged out so long, and they had to sit through another unnecessary trial regarding details of their daughters murder!!!

JewelFreak said:
.Yes, obviously they have the guy who did it -- or had him. What did he get? Something like 6 months? Insanity everywhere.

--- Laurie
Yes they are currently holding the man who committed the murder, he got 20 something years. However there is talk of him being released shortly on parole ????

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scarlett1|1391194562|3605203 said:
I feel so sorry for the poor family of Merideth (the girl who was murdered), this case has dragged out so long, and they had to sit through another unnecessary trial regarding details of their daughters murder!!!
Seriously, I cannot even imagine the strength of will. This whole thing is so ridiculous.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
This case is fascinating. At this point, I feel awful for all sides involved.

I have been all over with how I feel about this case. When this originally happened, I thought they were guilty - I fed into the media spin. But I've since changed my mind, before the verdict yesterday, I thought they were wrongly accused. BUT, now I'm going back and forth about it - it has become harder and harder for me to believe that these 2 are truly innocent. And I guess I feel that way because if they are truly innocent - it is beyond unfair and unjust for these 2 to have suffered in the way that they have by being wrongly accused. And for Meredith's family - it is beyond unfair and unjust for the family to have suffered in the way they have by believing that the 2 were guilty.

So my questions are all over the place - are we not hearing/made aware of everything examined in this case that is being used to reach these verdicts? Why does the Kercher family so strongly believe that the 2 are guilty - you would think it would go beyond just an OPINION. I mean, come on - to invest what they have in this case to find the truth - I can't imagine them doing this if there is any doubt? But yet they are pursuing this vigorously....still, all after this time. Are these 2 truly just two of the most unlucky people on Earth?

What do you all think?! :?: :?: :errrr:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think she is guilty of anything except maybe being young and a little foolish. I think she didn't put any thought into how her behavior might have been perceived by the press. Since she had nothing to do with it she didn't censor her behavior. Big mistake.

I think her boyfriend was crazy to stay in the country. I am not sure if he is an italian citizen, but I know he was in the States for awhile.

She had absolutely no motive in that crime. Zero. The evidence was non existent. The more I think about it the angrier I get. It seems like a witch hunt because it makes a sensational story.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
momma2boys|1391201924|3605296 said:
This case is fascinating. At this point, I feel awful for all sides involved.

I have been all over with how I feel about this case. When this originally happened, I thought they were guilty - I fed into the media spin. But I've since changed my mind, before the verdict yesterday, I thought they were wrongly accused. BUT, now I'm going back and forth about it - it has become harder and harder for me to believe that these 2 are truly innocent. And I guess I feel that way because if they are truly innocent - it is beyond unfair and unjust for these 2 to have suffered in the way that they have by being wrongly accused. And for Meredith's family - it is beyond unfair and unjust for the family to have suffered in the way they have by believing that the 2 were guilty.

So my questions are all over the place - are we not hearing/made aware of everything examined in this case that is being used to reach these verdicts? Why does the Kercher family so strongly believe that the 2 are guilty - you would think it would go beyond just an OPINION. I mean, come on - to invest what they have in this case to find the truth - I can't imagine them doing this if there is any doubt? But yet they are pursuing this vigorously....still, all after this time. Are these 2 truly just two of the most unlucky people on Earth?

What do you all think?! :?: :?: :errrr:

I can only guess because I don't know what's going on with them. I think they are really angry. After all who wouldn't be angry and heart broken. If Amanda had been there that night she might be dead too, or maybe it would have been Amanda and not their daughter. But she wasn't and their daughter was the sole victim. Could be resentment based on that. But this trial or any other isn't going to bring their daughter back.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1391208362|3605355 said:
I don't think she is guilty of anything except maybe being young and a little foolish. I think she didn't put any thought into how her behavior might have been perceived by the press. Since she had nothing to do with it she didn't censor her behavior. Big mistake.

I think her boyfriend was crazy to stay in the country. I am not sure if he is an italian citizen, but I know he was in the States for awhile.

She had absolutely no motive in that crime. Zero. The evidence was non existent. The more I think about it the angrier I get. It seems like a witch hunt because it makes a sensational story.

This, all of it. If you look at the "evidence" -- there is none. None at all. Plenty against the Somali guy; slam dunk that he climbed in a window & did the crime. The other 2 may have behaved like young morons afterward but there isn't a shred of evidence that they had any involvement at all. I don't think they knew a thing about it; they weren't there & it was probably a case of the guy stalking Meredith, whom he'd seen before.

I feel very sorry for everyone except the Italian judges, prosecutors & cops. They should all be fired.

--- Laurie

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
I agree with all of you. I am beyond curious to find out the explanation regarding why they were found guilty again. I hope it doesn't take 90 days!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
The Italian justice system is scary to say the least.

The prosecutor in this case, Giuliano Mignini was himself convicted of prosecutorial misconduct regarding another famous Italian murder case - The Monster of Florence. Google him, it's horrifying that this man is still allowed to prosecute cases. He's mentally unstable for a start.

It's so easy to get drawn into journalistic witch hunts, bad enough when someone innocent is presumed guilty by the public, but when actually convicted on not a single shred of evidence it defies belief.

It reminds me of the Azaria Chamberlain disappearance here in Australia in 1980 (remember Meryl Streep - 'a dingo stole my baybeee!'), her mother Lindy was found guilty despite absolutely no evidence and served 3 years in prison before her conviction was overturned.

A lot of the public condemnation of Lindy was founded on her demeanour, she was calm and composed, and people read guilt into this.

A similar case with Amanda, her innocent and niavete, her 'canoodling' with her boyfriend, supposedly 'shopping for sexy lingerie', let alone being co-erced and practically tortured to confess things that never happened.

I do wonder at Meredith's family though, surely they can't really think that Amanda is guilty?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results