shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I the only one that is afraid to enter high-end boutique?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Am I the only one that is afraid to enter high-end bouti

LLJsmom|1394000380|3627775 said:
Nope. I'm from California where people in ratty shorts, a t-shirt and flipflops walk into expensive jewelry stores or designer shops all the time. And the sales people would be stupid to ignore clients based on how they look because the most innocuous looking people can have gobs of money.

Yes to the bolded!

I worked for stock brokers. The people in the faded jeans & baggy sweatshirts (I'm in WA so a bit too cold for shorts most of the time!) who looked comfortable walking through the door were the clients -- many with multiple millions in their accounts.

It is all about attitude. If the guy in ratty pants and oversized shirt is looking nervous then you need to see what he's up to (maybe he's just trying to find the right ring or maybe he's trying to rob the place). Same for people dressed nicely.
The people who walk in looking comfortable are (usually) the ones who have some legitimate business -- whether that is immediate purchase or browsing for later ideas or whatever.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I remember wearing shorts, flip flops and a tank top when shopping for a very expensive grand piano here in Southern California.

The salesman almost fell over when I pulled out my checkbook.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1394001048|3627779 said:
Nope. I'm from California where people in ratty shorts, a t-shirt and flipflops walk into expensive jewelry stores or designer shops all the time. And the sales people would be stupid to ignore clients based on how they look because the most innocuous looking people can have gobs of money.

THIS exactly. We have millionaires that look homeless out here.

DF is from Nor Cal too. But outside Sacramento.
There aren't any high-end boutique stores here in Sacto. when I go to downtown S.F. (Union Square) I don't feel comfortable walking into a boutique. I have never been inside a boutique store in S.F.. :oops:

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock

Dancing Fire|1394006388|3627812 said:
Gypsy|1394001048|3627779 said:

THIS exactly. We have millionaires that look homeless out here.

DF is from Nor Cal too. But outside Sacramento.
There aren't any high-end boutique stores here in Sacto. when I go to downtown S.F. (Union Square) I don't feel comfortable walking into a boutique. I have never been inside a boutique store in S.F.. :oops:

My husband and I were treated rudely in an SF boutique jewelry store when we were engagement ring shopping. No one would help us and we just got dirty looks even though we were dressed actually well for SF. It was so funny at the time around 2009 because of all the young money in SF. I think the salespeople should be more used to 23 year old millionaires and now treat everyone well I hope!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes and no.

No because I live in London and needed a security guard to let me into a store where my husband and I had to go to exchange a wallet he got me for Christmas that was the wrong colour. It was a nice store and a nice wallet, but it speaks more of the norm of having people on doors and needing them to get into the store. Security on doors and posh looking shops are everywhere so I've gotten used to it. I love shopping in London. No one seems to care if I'm browsing or buying and I cannot discern any difference in the way I'm treated other than with slight amusement if I'm being particularly indecisive but that seems to be more of a sales tactic than meanness.

Yes because smaller boutiques still worry me. I don't like the idea of being the only one in the shop with all the attention focused on me as I browse.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

Dancing Fire|1393985242|3627656 said:
crown1|1393969541|3627452 said:
How so with that thick skin you always remind us of?
I know, am I not weird?... :lol:

I think you need to try it. I am sure it will be fine. You are selling yourself short.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I used to feel uncomfortable when I went into a boutique or high end jewelry store, but I forced myself to go in, and now I am OK with it.

I have never been treated poorly when I go into high end stores but i usually have something in mind to look at. If i have a purpose i feel better. I also need to have a place to go when I walk for exercise. I don't like not having a purpose. Look at watches first, ask a few questions, and you will soon feel at home.

You ought to join the ladies and gentlemen at lAS Vegas in June. They can all teach you how to barge into the finest stores without getting thrown out.

Report back after you go into your first boutique.

Annette

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1394005446|3627803 said:
I remember wearing shorts, flip flops and a tank top when shopping for a very expensive grand piano here in Southern California.

Have you noticed that so-called high end boutiques are staffed with people with an accent from somewhere? It never threw me off my plan of looking around, seeing nothing that pleased me and offering a cheery 'thank you' to the snotty salesperson :bigsmile:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

Not afraid, people generally respond well to me, I have a friendly face. What I do fear greatly is the idea of attending my high school reunion. The thought of entering a room full of snobby, cliquish people who were mean to me in the distant past makes me think fearful thoughts. Most of them didn't change, I know from Facebook!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sky56|1394096725|3628537 said:
Not afraid, people generally respond well to me, I have a friendly face. What I do fear greatly is the idea of attending my high school reunion. The thought of entering a room full of snobby, cliquish people who were mean to me in the distant past makes me think fearful thoughts. Most of them didn't change, I know from Facebook!
SO with you on this. Not a damn thing has changed, and I didn't need FB to know that. I got to experience some of it in a Weight Watchers meeting of all places. It gave me extreme pleasure when the leader stopped the meeting and asked them to not return and do the program online because bullying is not allowed.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

That's a bit like an experience I had a while back buying a motorcycle. I drove to the bike shop with a friend to look around, and saw one I like the looks of. I sat on it and it fit, so I asked if the salesman could roll it outside and crank it so I could hear it. He did, and was polite, but also gave me the impression he was humoring me. I listened for a minute, then shut it off and told him I'd take it. He looked a little surprised, then started telling me about the financing they offered. I said "That won't be necessary", and pulled out my checkbook. Then he looked real surprised. I was still laughing 10 minutes later when I walked out 20 minutes later with the paperwork, handed my car keys to my friend, got my skid lid out of the car, and rode off on my new bike. :bigsmile: :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain|1394129478|3628729 said:

That's a bit like an experience I had a while back buying a motorcycle. I drove to the bike shop with a friend to look around, and saw one I like the looks of. I sat on it and it fit, so I asked if the salesman could roll it outside and crank it so I could hear it. He did, and was polite, but also gave me the impression he was humoring me. I listened for a minute, then shut it off and told him I'd take it. He looked a little surprised, then started telling me about the financing they offered. I said "That won't be necessary", and pulled out my checkbook. Then he looked real surprised. I was still laughing 10 minutes later when I walked out 20 minutes later with the paperwork, handed my car keys to my friend, got my skid lid out of the car, and rode off on my new bike. :bigsmile: :lol:

That is awesome!! You rock Andelian!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain|1394129478|3628729 said:

OMG that sounds hilarious!

4_cs

Shiny_Rock

I used to be but not anymore. I find for the most part people are friendly. I try to ask intelligent questions.I don't dress fancy and don't carry a high end bag. I tend to run into snobby salesclerks in clothing boutiques and even department stores. It kind of amuses me.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

slc4|1394200928|3629263 said:
I used to be but not anymore. I find for the most part people are friendly. I try to ask intelligent questions.I don't dress fancy and don't carry a high end bag. I tend to run into snobby salesclerks in clothing boutiques and even department stores. It kind of amuses me.

I get a laugh when salespeople try to figure me out. I walk in wearing shorts, a T-shirt, and sandals during the summer, but dripping diamonds and a Rolex, and toting a Louis Viutton bag. :lol: :lol:

bluehue3

Rough_Rock

My gf use to feel afraid as well but I've shown her the confidence inside herself to step in without feeling intimidated. Now its kinda biting me back as we stroll down the streets window shopping, she tugs at my arm and leads me into the store...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results