shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I out of my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before you say "Yes" on instinct alone, let me explain.
3.gif

I started working here a year ago about. It''s been very turbulent-- the department is like a teenager, not a child, but not an adult and a little crazy. We just got a new C-staff member over the organization I work in. And HE hired a VP for our group in particular. Who started last week. We''ve all been a bit concerned about the new VP coming in so just about everyone in my group has their resume''s out. So I put mine out and applied to some jobs. All out of California, cause if I''m going to change jobs, I want to move out of this high cost of living area.

I value my work life balance,but I do work really hard, evenings, weekends, etc. But it comes in waves.

SO... I get a ping back from one of the companies I sent out my resume to.

It''s with an EXTREMELY GOOD company (now I work for a great company) like Fortune 100 company that is a serious cache on a resume. But it''s in NY, NY (not low cost of living), where we''d be close to DH''s family (who I miss a lot).

I think it would be great to work for a company that already employs best practices, has procedures in place regulating what I do, and that isn''t just trying to figure out how to do what we do. The salary would be good (but offset by cost of living issues). And then there is the name.

But I just don''t want it. I know "I should" want to pursue it... but, I really don''t want to work in NY, there is no work life balance in what I do out there... it''s all work. I don''t like NY that much. I actually don''t like cities, I prefer suburbs. I''m already tired of commuting 2.5 hours a day out here, and have no desire to have a long commute our there.

I''m not saying I''m going to get the job, god knows there will be 20 interviews if I do manage to get screened and accepted as a viable candidate... but the job description was pretty much written for me, it''s exactly what I do, and I do it well.

I still don''t want to pursue it. DH doesn''t care. He just wants to make sure that I''m running to something not away from something. And I agree with that.

Am I crazy to just not even want to set up an appointment to talk to the recruiter? Should I do it anyway just to hear what they have to say? They have offices all over, there might be a likelihood that they wouldn''t require me to move to NY, they do have offices in CA (not in Nor Cal but in CA) that I might be able to work from. But... I don''t know.

I want to work somewhere I can buy a house soon, with some property, where the cost of everything isn''t so high. But would I be stupid to pass up a chance at a resume building company (that would allow me to work just about anywhere I wanted after a few years there) just because I feel... tired overworked and in no mood to work in NY and to work even MORE than I do already (which is quite a bit, despite PS time).

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I think you shouldn''t make such a huge move unless you were really EXCITED about switching to this new job and living in NY. It''s a huge decision and a big lifestyle change. I will say though, if it''s just the fact that you don''t want to live in a big CITY, there are some really nice suburbs around NY that have commutes of an hour (sometimes even less) so you could work for this company and still live in a nice suburb. I hate the idea of living in a big city and would never ever live in Manhattan but that''s where most jobs around here are so I will likely end up in a suburb near Manhattan and I will work in the city. But if you aren''t excited about the amount of work you''ll have to do at this new company and the type of job you''ll have, I don''t think it''s worth it.

However, maybe it''s worth it to speak to them about possible job openings in other offices around the country. If they were interested in your resume, maybe they would have something for you in a better location and something you might be more excited about. I think it''s worth it to TALK to them about it, because worse comes to worse you''ll end up saying "no thank you" but at least you''ll know you looked into it and won''t wonder "what could have been" down the road.

jwaters

Rough_Rock
Trade
As long as you don't have to report anything to your current employer, than what have you got to lose? But I think you answered your own question. But I just don't want it. Sounds like mostly a step sideways, and you've weighed the pros and cons. Moving from California to New York is going to create a lot of problems along the way in itself, and if you aren't super excited about this new job, sounds like you'd be happier where you are.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Go for it.

You haven''t burned any bridges by doing this.

Even though there is much to be grateful for in your situation, it sounds like you are not quite happy and when that is so it is not a crime to try to improve things. Economy may be bad and all that, but there''s always SOME reason not to go after what we want--I personally admire you for looking into other options (which can be so scary).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well this is an easy one! You have no desire to work in NYC or have a super long commute. So you are definitely not crazy to not want the job. However, it might be worth at least talking to the recruiter. Or have you considered staying at your current company and switching departments? Is that even a possibility?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
You talk about this job like you''d be miserable. Don''t do anything that will make you miserable if you''re okay for the time being. Wait and see if something else comes along.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

Date: 7/27/2009 3:08:16 PM
Author:Gypsy
Before you say ''Yes'' on instinct alone, let me explain.
3.gif
Oh, sorry. Let me read the explanation
2.gif

As Lilac mentioned, there is little harm in talking to them. Maybe it will be a great fit, maybe not--the only way to know is to check into it further. At the very least, it will help resharpen your interviewing skills and help you think about what you really want in a career and living situation. At the most, they offer you a great job in a branch somewhere you would really love to live.

Prioriities vary for everyone. I, personally, would not take a job in an area I wouldn''t want to live, no matter how career enhancing. Others would take the job as a stepping stone so they can get where they want and are willing to make the sacrifices for a while. Only you and your hubby can decide what is best for you as a couple.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 3:16:43 PM
Author: Lilac
I think you shouldn''t make such a huge move unless you were really EXCITED about switching to this new job and living in NY. It''s a huge decision and a big lifestyle change. I will say though, if it''s just the fact that you don''t want to live in a big CITY, there are some really nice suburbs around NY that have commutes of an hour (sometimes even less) so you could work for this company and still live in a nice suburb. I hate the idea of living in a big city and would never ever live in Manhattan but that''s where most jobs around here are so I will likely end up in a suburb near Manhattan and I will work in the city. But if you aren''t excited about the amount of work you''ll have to do at this new company and the type of job you''ll have, I don''t think it''s worth it.
I wanted to ditto this- I HATE the city proper- although I did live in Brooklyn Heights which was AMAZING and I didn''t feel like I was in the city. I will be moving to a suburb with a less than 45 min commute each way. There is Long Island, CT and NJ. I am totally a suburbs girl so we are making it work. It can be a fun adventure and being so close to NYC can have some awesome perks.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would talk to the company just in hopes there is a similar position within the company but not in NY. I think it is a good way to get your foot in the door and network yourself for a job that may come up w/them.
1.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I think you should at least talk to the recruiter. You never know if there might be other geographical options out there. If there are not other geographical options, then I think you let it go at that point. You know you don''t want to work in NY and commute and as much as it sounds like it might be a great opportunity for you, I think it might be out of the frying pan and into the fire from a work/life balance perspective and you won''t be happy at the end of it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, congratulations on getting an interview L! If I was in your position, I'd probably at least go to the interview and hear them out. What if you get there (for the interview) and you love it? It couldn't hurt. If anything, you'll get more interview experience which could be good. You never know unless you see it through.

That said, if you go and decided you don't like it, don't take the position if it's offered to you.

ETA: I like Skippy's suggestion of talking to the recruiter about other possibilities outside of NYC as well. I'd still go on this one just to see what it's like though.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think if the job didn''t require a move (and such a big move at that) I would say go for it. However, because it does require you to uproot your life to live somewhere you don''t particularly want to be, I don''t see the point. To make a move like that, you need to be excited for it, not dreading it.

If I were you, I would pursue it long enough to see if you could work at one of their branches that would fit you better. If you find the position is only for NYC, you can always back out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 3:57:15 PM
Author: elrohwen

If I were you, I would pursue it long enough to see if you could work at one of their branches that would fit you better. If you find the position is only for NYC, you can always back out.

I think this distills everyone''s advice. And sounds very wise. I''ll set up a meeting with them for an initial screening, and I will ask them about the geography.
35.gif

As beautiful as the Bay Area is and as lovely as it is to have so many places to go within a couple hours drive... I only notice the weather and the scenery on my commute, we rarely go anywhere on day trips (though we do plan them, they just don''t happen) and well... I''m tired of it. The day to day is more important to me than the ''special occassion'' outings. And I know living in NY, I would feel the same. I lived in NJ and worked in Newark which was an hour away from where we lived and man that really wasn''t good. Worse than this by far because of the snow. If there is gonna be snow, I would like a shorter commute.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 4:26:15 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 7/27/2009 3:57:15 PM

Author: elrohwen

I think this distills everyone''s advice. And sounds very wise. I''ll set up a meeting with them for an initial screening, and I will ask them about the geography.
35.gif

As beautiful as the Bay Area is and as lovely as it is to have so many places to go within a couple hours drive... I only notice the weather and the scenery on my commute, we rarely go anywhere on day trips (though we do plan them, they just don''t happen) and well... I''m tired of it. The day to day is more important to me than the ''special occassion'' outings. And I know living in NY, I would feel the same. I lived in NJ and worked in Newark which was an hour away from where we lived and man that really wasn''t good. Worse than this by far because of the snow. If there is gonna be snow, I would like a shorter commute.

Good plan, Gypsy! There''s no harm in checking things out, and if it doesn''t lead to an ideal-location position this time around, it may down the line.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi gypsy :)

firstly, let me say i''m entirely biased, because i WANT you to move to NY! but that aside....

the first thing i wondered was what you do for a living? i''m not sure what line of work you''re in.

you might have heard me mention that tim works on wall st, but that we do not live in the city. we live in total suburbia, have dogs, grow tomatoes, and know the names of all our neighbors - and their kids. it''s 35 mins from out train station to grand central in NYC, so a lot of the commute depends on where in manhattan you''d be working (do you know which street this company is in?)

tim works for a large financial institution with a very good name, and they''re very flexible about allowing employees to take work home. this means tim can often come home early or not go in at all if he has no specific meetings he needs to attend. he has to travel, granted, but i feel as tho this downside is more than outweighed by the amount of time he''s able to work from home. this also is true for employees more junior than he is ie it''s not just upper management who have this flexibility.

he has an excellent network within the company and has made many friends. they regularly go to the baseball on weekends and we have a couple of people with whom we''re particularly good friends and who have been in and out of our home and visa versa. i guess my point is that it''s not cold and impersonal, not inflexible, not unfriendly.

i also am a firm believer in doing job interviews. each interview is a practice experience and you can learn something from everyone to take into the next one. and you don''t know how good or bad a job is till you''ve had a real sit down with someone who knows. so interviews are invaluable for showing you what you''re turning down/accepting. it''s an excellent experience to interview for a co. like htis, and it''s one i''d take for my own development. just a thought.

personally, i wouldn''t scrub it off the list too soon. it might be much better than you think, and it''s a good opportunity.

besides...lunch with whitby!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My desire for you to stay put aside-I don''t think you''re crazy at all. If you aren''t feeling it you aren''t feeling it. Period.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Whitby... I know there are so many PSer out on the east coast I would love to meet, you of course being one of them.

Our new VP decided to ''show his teeth'' today, so... everyone is running scared. And it might be for good reason. Or it could be mass hysteria. Still it seems like with everything going on at work, it would be silly not to at least talk to the recruiter so I set up a meeting for Wednesday. We''ll see.

NF... I know, hon, I know.
7.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I know this isn''t a good enough reason to move but some food for thought- THE BAGELS!!!! They are truly wonderful. I also agree with Whitby about telecommuting- I have found a lot of the major firms in several different fields, since I don''t know what field you are in, are pretty good with letting upper level employees leave early or even take a day and work from home. I was pretty low level and was able to log in and work from home when it called for it. If they want you, you can make it work on your terms.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
It really sounds like you don''t want this job, so I wouldn''t even go for it... Plus, you might take this opportunity from someone who really wants it.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want to live in NY, definitely don''t take a job here. But a 40 min train ride in from Westchester''s not a bad commute at all! I have a lot of friends who do this and are very happy with their commuting situation. It''s certainly not for everyone, though.

Can I ask if this is an in-house legal position you''ve applied for? If you''re not going to pursue it will you give the relevant info to my DH who is looking for a new job..?
2.gif
3.gif
Actually, the reason I ask is because with that sort of position, even in NY, it''s often a lot easier to have a balance between work and life (as opposed to a law firm job). But you probably know more than I do...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Big T... let me talk to them first and see how I feel about pursuing it. I have a contact in the company who says it may be that they aren't set on my working from Manhattan, since they do have corporate offices in CA. But if I don't want to pursue it, I will definitely let you know what the opportunity is! And honestly even if it is in Manhattan, if I can work from home a couple days a week... might be totally worth it. I work one day a week from home now, and much prefer it. I don't need to be in the office for much of what I do, thanks sb.

Dannielle, yes, that's true but honestly I've got to think of myself and meeting with them to discuss the opportunity and its parameters isn't taking away from anyone. I assume they have many other candidates they are fielding at the same time.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 2:02:07 AM
Author: Gypsy
Hi Whitby... I know there are so many PSer out on the east coast I would love to meet, you of course being one of them.

Our new VP decided to ''show his teeth'' today, so... everyone is running scared. And it might be for good reason. Or it could be mass hysteria. Still it seems like with everything going on at work, it would be silly not to at least talk to the recruiter so I set up a meeting for Wednesday. We''ll see.

NF... I know, hon, I know.
7.gif
Good luck Gypsy, hope all goes well.

Treefrog

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you treefrog. 25 minutes to go. :)

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2009 9:25:26 AM
Author: TheBigT
If you don't want to live in NY, definitely don't take a job here. But a 40 min train ride in from Westchester's not a bad commute at all! I have a lot of friends who do this and are very happy with their commuting situation. It's certainly not for everyone, though.

Can I ask if this is an in-house legal position you've applied for? If you're not going to pursue it will you give the relevant info to my DH who is looking for a new job..?
2.gif
3.gif
Actually, the reason I ask is because with that sort of position, even in NY, it's often a lot easier to have a balance between work and life (as opposed to a law firm job). But you probably know more than I do...
I am one of those people that commute from Westchester. Westchester is lovely, don't get me wrong, but it is one of the most expensive places to live in the United States--lower cost of living (anywhere in a 50 mile radius) goes right out the window. Real estate/property taxes here are astronomical ($20-30,000 a year in taxes is not uncommon, at least not in my town).

If you don't like city living then I wouldn't consider a job in NY, even in the 'burbs.' Although I would encourage to reach out, just to learn of any other opportunities available--there might be something perfect job-wise and location-wise.

eta: didn't see your last post. Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Salary is lower than I'm making-- but I did tell give them a range for my expecations and they said they'd look into it. Bonus is comparable. It is in NY. They would move me. And I passed the screening and have a Friday call with the hiring manager. No working from home. But the group sounds really good, and frankly less stressful. than where I'm working now-- though the Recruiter didn't have a lot of specific information about work load and expectations, so I need to address those with the hiring manager.

So, I'm going to talk to the hiring manager and see what happens. It might be worth pursuing and it might not.

I did express an interest in CA positions and she (the recruiter) did say that there aren't any now, but if I decide this isn't right for me, I can request to be kept on her 'call me' list.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe Friday will shed more light on it to better help you in making a decision. It really sounds like a tough choice.

It definitely sounds like you want to be out of your current situation. This NY position is just one. Although from your description, it sounds like it could be a good career move. Closer to DH''s family too.

So... shorter commute, better cost of living, closer to DH''s family, better work situation... all contribute to a better quality of life. I''m sure it''s out there. See what Friday brings.

Does the recruiter have anything else? Boston... probably too much snow. Philly? Baltimore? Pittsburgh?

Treefrog

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing else their have two Legal departments, in CA and in NY. CA has no opennings. But I told her that I''m a "gypsy" and really would be pretty flexible on location.

It''s a really good company. I think they''ll come up on the salary. I already pay a ridiculous amount of money for rent and commuting. So... we''ll see what Friday brings. Thanks so much for your support Treefrog. I''m really happy you''ve found PS, and hope you will stay.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thought about this a bit. And... think I''m going to pass. Will consider it more overnight. But, I''m leaning toward thanking them for their time and asking them to consider me for future positions, out here in CA.

Big T... if I reject it, I will post it here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results