shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I missing something? I don't get the fascination...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for Rose Cut diamonds.

Please explain to this dummy what so fascinating about wearing a diamond that doesn't sparkle?.. :confused:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
They have a vintage-y old world feel to them. They are very romantic looking. It's hard to explain because you can't explain your personal taste to someone who doesn't share it.

I used to think "why would anyone want a diamond the color of pee?" (yellow diamonds). To me, that was the worst thing you could do to a diamond! Yellow isn't my favorite color but to someone who loves yellow, I bet they swoon at the sight of those yellow diamond rings.

Someone just posted a new thread on their rose cut. Now that gorgeous ring would not look nearly as special with a regular modern diamond.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-cut-solitaire-organic-meets-vintage.206728/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-cut-solitaire-organic-meets-vintage.206728/[/URL]

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are not my cup of tea either DF but to each his own!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are tranquil and old world. I absolutely love them and are glad they seem to be back in fashion.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not my cup of tea either, however, each to their own.

DK :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I didn't quite "get" it, either, until I saw one that had been properly foiled, on a domed back ... something about the depth of it is very appealing in a way pictures can't quite seem to capture.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I understand why people don't care for them, but I do think they have a certain subtle charm. Sort of like other old cuts and warm colors - not for everyone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They wouldn't be my first choice in a diamond but I wouldn't mind having a small one some day.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1412586900|3762817 said:
They have a vintage-y old world feel to them. They are very romantic looking. It's hard to explain because you can't explain your personal taste to someone who doesn't share it.

I used to think "why would anyone want a diamond the color of pee?" (yellow diamonds). To me, that was the worst thing you could do to a diamond! Yellow isn't my favorite color but to someone who loves yellow, I bet they swoon at the sight of those yellow diamond rings.

Someone just posted a new thread on their rose cut. Now that gorgeous ring would not look nearly as special with a regular modern diamond.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-cut-solitaire-organic-meets-vintage.206728/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-cut-solitaire-organic-meets-vintage.206728/[/URL]

:lol: I've never thought of my yellow diamonds as the color of pee :shock: I agree to a certain extent - I think that faint yellows come off looking like lesser quality diamonds, but intense, fancy yellows are a-m-a-z-i-n-g - and yes, they make me swoon!!!!
I saw the recent thread you posted above and I think that it is a lovely ring:)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom has a ring set with rose cut diamond. It's a family heirloom but I certainly don't get the appeal. She loves it but also tends to wear a ring we gifted her with MRBs.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I like the antique look of rose cuts, I think they have a subtle beauty.

But there are lots of things I don't get on PS, primary one being all the solitaire subtleties. They all kinda look the same to me. :shock: The ones that are just metal, I mean. Some are willing to pay thousands for solitaires that look like every other solitaire to me.

But I figure I'm just too crass and my eye isn't trained to see whatever the other PSers are seeing. :bigsmile:

It's just waaayy over my head, apparently. :tongue:

So, whatever floats your boat, I say. :D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1412607569|3762927 said:
I like the antique look of rose cuts, I think they have a subtle beauty.

But there are lots of things I don't get on PS, primary one being all the solitaire subtleties. They all kinda look the same to me. :shock: The ones that are just metal, I mean. Some are willing to pay thousands for solitaires that look like every other solitaire to me.

But I figure I'm just too crass and my eye isn't trained to see whatever the other PSers are seeing. :bigsmile:

It's just waaayy over my head, apparently. :tongue:

So, whatever floats your boat, I say. :D
Me too! I don't understand the fascination about see-through diamonds.. :confused: :tongue:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that they are different. Kind of like how I don't love MRB because they seem very 'common'. I prefer something a little more unique.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan technology advancement in cutting has really made diamonds sparkle however, I don't like hearts and arrows either as I am currently infatuated with all things OEC and OMC-thanks to PS.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are cool and beautiful but I'd never buy one.
I will admire yours, thank you very much.

Diamond is one of the most expensive materials on earth.
I'm willing to pay the high price because of what diamond can do with light IF cut just right ... and rose cuts are not.
We whine and bitch about deep and shallow diamonds but yet we give these half-diamonds a pass and even praise? :wall:
If I bought a rose cut it would be of a cheaper material.
IMO, this most-expensive gem material is wasted if not cut to earn its pay.

I'd also not pay big bucks for a diamond cabochon.
Why pay for a Ferrari that can never have wheels?

Rose cuts are like Daussi cushions ... a more profitable thing to do with some flat rough than polishing it into several smaller well-cut diamonds.

But of course, as always, to each their own. :halo:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
The right setting has changed my mind about a lot of diamonds. I wasn't a fan of marquise, till I saw Portia's East West design, I never liked yellow ones till I saw Cat Moms(I think?), Rose cut diamonds appealed to me after seeing Anna Paquin's ring, stacking seemed crazy to me till Kate Beckinsale's stack, lower colors were too tinted until Softly Softly's exquisite diamond ring. Even inclusions were awful to me until someone posted that unique heart shape one...so you just never know, not even your own taste sometimes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They don't sparkle, but they flash and have a moonstone kind of quality to them. They're not for everyone, and why should they be? Not everyone would want to wear a colored gemstone ring either (do they "sparkle"? Not really. But people love them.) They're not my cup of tea, personally, but they have their following and people love them for their age, uniqueness, and subtle, organic, sort of raw vibe. Some people love raw diamonds too, and briolettes, and rings of plain metal (do they sparkle like diamonds?), or cabs. I don't think it's necessary to disparage them, given how many we've seen on PS lately. Most things in life are not universally appealing. Well except for you, DF. :tongue:

Seriously, though, there are many that have survived history, which were cut so long ago that they belong in museums as examples of the evolution of diamond cutting. Why not preserve them and wear and enjoy them? I'm thrilled that people love them - the same way that people appreciate very old or ancient art, or any other collectible. Old things are...old. Should we just throw them out? Notre Dame is my favorite place on earth. It's super old. It's not modern, or flashy. It's ooooollllllldddd, and crumbling, and rustic, and, to a degree, crude. Let's just knock it down and build a parking lot!

You know what I don't get? Why anyone would pay thousands for a watch. Watches don't sparkle!!!! What a waste of money. Blech. ;-)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with you DF and I feel completely the same, I mean to me they look like glass, ok, not quite but almost, with a huge glass like window in the middle. To me this ridicules cut. Do not get me wrong, I love love love certain vintage cuts, AVC, AVR, certain OECs, etc., some of them have amazing performance and those yummy chunky facets. That to me is totally different but if I had a rose cut, I would want it recut. Now, if it is an Art Deco bangle with small melee, well, maybe but even then, I doubt it, I would want some other old cut in it. My goldsmith recently had me source him rose cuts for making antique inspiration jewelry and I thought the stones were well, yuck. I also hate the idea of no pavilion.

Yellow diamonds, well, now we are talking.:))) I never liked the color yellow. Yellow diamonds are the happiest stones to me though with the light performance of a diamond (I like them well cut too) and a range of mesmerizing colors, never pee like to me but then mine are from fancy and up, lemony to gold to sunrise... but I admit I like some vintage ones N and downwards too that some may call pee color. So, yes, perhaps taste but hey to me cut is key. I doubt that I would like yellow diamonds if they were rose cuts. Since my passion for yellow diamonds began, I expanded my wardrobe which now includes many dresses with yellow accents.:)))

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ROFL Erica, I loved your post! Ok, now us, these naughty rose cut opponents go into hiding.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OVincze|1412799652|3764445 said:
ROFL Erica, I loved your post! Ok, now us, these naughty rose cut opponents go into hiding.

Hahaha! Take that!

You did say one thing that caught my attention. That rose cuts "ridicule cut". But I see it differently - by saving and wearing rose cuts, we're CELEBRATING cut. Rose cuts were created at the infancy of diamond cutting. It's part of the evolution of diamond cutting - part of the history of cut. Without rose cuts, cutters would not have moved on to the other cuts that ultimately led us to OEC's and then to RB's. It's one of the earliest faceted cuts, created back when cutters were so limited by their times, yet they still strived to create something beautiful. Without rose cuts, we'd be left with looking at pictures of rose cuts in books. I'm thrilled that some of these stones have been preserved.

Now obviously I'm talking old rose cuts. Newly cut ones are responding to demand because the vintage ones are rare as hen's teeth. Rose cuts are trendy. And I'll tell you, I don't stock them because I don't care for them personally, but a friend of mine in the trade gets them in a lot and they sell like hotcakes, even really large and expensive ones. So people are lovin' on them something fierce these days!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericad|1412782139|3764297 said:
They don't sparkle, but they flash and have a moonstone kind of quality to them. They're not for everyone, and why should they be? Not everyone would want to wear a colored gemstone ring either (do they "sparkle"? Not really. But people love them.) They're not my cup of tea, personally, but they have their following and people love them for their age, uniqueness, and subtle, organic, sort of raw vibe. Some people love raw diamonds too, and briolettes, and rings of plain metal (do they sparkle like diamonds?), or cabs. I don't think it's necessary to disparage them, given how many we've seen on PS lately. Most things in life are not universally appealing. Well except for you, DF. :tongue:

Seriously, though, there are many that have survived history, which were cut so long ago that they belong in museums as examples of the evolution of diamond cutting. Why not preserve them and wear and enjoy them? I'm thrilled that people love them - the same way that people appreciate very old or ancient art, or any other collectible. Old things are...old. Should we just throw them out? Notre Dame is my favorite place on earth. It's super old. It's not modern, or flashy. It's ooooollllllldddd, and crumbling, and rustic, and, to a degree, crude. Let's just knock it down and build a parking lot!

You know what I don't get? Why anyone would pay thousands for a watch. Watches don't sparkle!!!! What a waste of money. Blech. ;-)
Say WHAT?! If a gemstone doesn't sparkle, that's probably a cut problem! Or color. Or species of stone.

I love rose cuts because of the way light moves over them. When I wear a diamond with a pavilion, I don't look at the crown and table facets because the pavilion sparkling distracts me, but with a rose cut, the way light moves over the facets....well it's like a solidified rainbow.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1412803179|3764473 said:
ericad|1412782139|3764297 said:

Say WHAT?! If a gemstone doesn't sparkle, that's probably a cut problem! Or color. Or species of stone.

I love rose cuts because of the way light moves over them. When I wear a diamond with a pavilion, I don't look at the crown and table facets because the pavilion sparkling distracts me, but with a rose cut, the way light moves over the facets....well it's like a solidified rainbow.

Re: gemstones, what I meant is that they don't sparkle the way that diamonds do. Emeralds don't really sparkle. They're gorgeous, and they pop and have tons of presence on the hand - but do they sparkle? Maybe they flash, or twinkle. But they don't SPARKLE. They're beautiful in a different kind of way.

Rose cuts are quietly pretty. They're serene. I understand the appeal.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Erica, you are very right again in both posts. Yes, I love history, antique and vintage jewelry. I must admit that I own a Deco bracelet with rough diamonds cut in half but they are pretty included and opaque. I love this piece despite the diamonds well ridiculing what they are supposed to be. The piece is beautiful though and the diamonds are small. I guess what bothers me in rose cuts is the see through effect and lack of depth, difficulties in setting, foiling, backing or what not. The lot of different sized rose cuts I recently sourced were vintage, modern ones can often be of higher quality but then again that may take away their authenticity. Vintage ones can be high quality too, not saying otherwise but mostly they were mid range at the best and may have chips.

I hear you, I am all for celebrating history and yes I love emeralds. They have an allure.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Oh... but rose cuts are fascinating. And like any other cut class, they are not all equal. I'm waiting on an image of a pale peach/pink antique rose cut I saw not too long ago. I'm hoping to post it to convey just how lovely a rose cut can be. If an old euro is a flashing disco ball, a good rose cut is a slice of zen like tranquility one can get lost in. It's subtle in its beauty and that's perfectly okay. I hope over time, as more people find and own these pieces of magic, and post them here, we can all learn what's so incredible about these stones.

I happen to see this as I was pondering this thread, a mix of old and new, and how pretty...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OVincze said:
Erica, you are very right again in both posts. Yes, I love history, antique and vintage jewelry. I must admit that I own a Deco bracelet with rough diamonds cut in half but they are pretty included and opaque. I love this piece despite the diamonds well ridiculing what they are supposed to be. The piece is beautiful though and the diamonds are small. I guess what bothers me in rose cuts is the see through effect and lack of depth, difficulties in setting, foiling, backing or what not. The lot of different sized rose cuts I recently sourced were vintage, modern ones can often be of higher quality but then again that may take away their authenticity. Vintage ones can be high quality too, not saying otherwise but mostly they were mid range at the best and may have chips.

I hear you, I am all for celebrating history and yes I love emeralds. They have an allure.

Please, please, please post a picture of that bracelet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results