shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternatives to Affresh (laundry still smells weird...)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have one of those front load washers that people either love or hate. This is my third one in a row so I'm not new to them, but this is the first time I've ever had my laundry start to smell funky. I got Affresh a few weeks ago and ran it through three times with hot water, but now it's back to smelling a little weird again. I'm trying bleach right now, and I've read mixed things about vinegar (some people say it's a god send, other people say absolutely don't use it because the acidity is bad and disintegrates the rubber hoses). Anything you've tried that works?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, we also have one of those front loaders at the beach house and what I have found works like a charm is just to keep the tray and door open all the time when we are not using it. MY dh hates that I do that but it is the only sure fire way to keep the off smell away and keep the clothes smelling clean and fresh. I have tried all the other things you mentioned and they did not do the trick for us either. But keeping that door and detergent tray open when not in use does the trick.

If it wasn't such a pretty red machine I would have replaced it years ago with a top loader but while it is working well this is what I will continue to do.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You've probably already done this, but have you lifted up the rubber seal around the door to check for hidden socks etc. They can get caught under there and cause that funky smell. Don't ask me how I know :doh:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1441135274|3922256 said:
Dee Jay, we also have one of those front loaders at the beach house and what I have found works like a charm is just to keep the tray and door open all the time when we are not using it. MY dh hates that I do that but it is the only sure fire way to keep the off smell away and keep the clothes smelling clean and fresh. I have tried all the other things you mentioned and they did not do the trick for us either. But keeping that door and detergent tray open when not in use does the trick.

If it wasn't such a pretty red machine I would have replaced it years ago with a top loader but while it is working well this is what I will continue to do.

This is what I also do- though I just leave the door open 24/7 and not the tray. It's not the prettiest way to leave the laundry room but it never has an odor.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies.

I do (now, and for the past month or so) keep the detergent tray open, and I have always left the machine door open.

There is nothing (currently) stuck in the rubber gasket, and I'm pretty good about checking that because the CB leaves change in his pockets. I figure at the rate I'm collecting coins I can retire at least a year earlier than expected...

Will be curious to see what the bleach did (if anything) when I get home tonight.

Do you think it makes any difference that I never put stuff (detergent, bleach or fabric softener) in the tray, I just use the packets of detergent that you throw in the drum itself? If it would prevent this problem I would be happy to use the tray to dispense the products. I'd even start using fabric softener! And bleach!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only put detergent in the little tray and IDK if it makes a difference putting detergent directly into the drum. Maybe try using just the tray and see if that helps? I also never use bleach, fabric softener or anything harsh because of my skin sensitivities so use detergents without fragrance/harsh ingredients like Free and Clear and Dreft etc.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we have one of these, but we've never had an issue. We have a laundry 'closet' and leave only the washer door open with the closet door closed (and the detergent tray closed). Are you using HE detergent? Or regular? The only thing we use in our laundry that isnt HE is baking soda. Makes everything nice and white!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would replace the hoses and the gasket if this were me. I hope the smell goes away soon !!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we ran two loads of bleach through and two Affresh and it still smells weird to me (but I fully admit it may be psychosomatic at this point. I put one more Affresh in this morning before I left for work. Tonight I'm going to run a small load through with new detergent because I'm wondering if that might be the problem, which would be ironic because I only use unscented stuff and all the reviews about problematic soap have to do with the perfume-y ones, but who knows. The only think I haven't tried at this point is vinegar due to the acidity issue but if this doesn't work I'm going there next!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI DeeJay:

Sorry for your recurrent issues. I lived the same experience with my LG front loaders and got rid of it because of this issue.

Like others who've posted before me I also used only powder soap, dried the rubber damper, routinely sanitized with bleach using their designated cycle, emptied any standing water out of the drain, and left the door open when not in use. Regardless of these actions, my washer still had an unsettling odor.

I've since replaced my units with a Miele set and have had no issues! Incidentally, the hoses and the drain can be an issue as when my old machines were taken away, when the hoses were removed the smell was activated! Yuk :knockout:

Good luck on finding a solution!

cheers--Sharon

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^^^
This is the second time I've noticed you post that you did something with the washer during the day / before work and you are going to see how it turns out when you get home at night. That cleaning practice, and if that is your laundry routine, also, could be what is perpetuating your odor problem. A wet front loader closed for an extended period of time will smell. It's best to clean your machine and clothes during times when you can promptly, or within an hour or so, open the machine (and empty clothes, as applicable) and leave it open.

If I were you, my next step would be to follow instruction number 6 in the article Missy posted. Run white vinegar and baking soda through the machine on the clean or sanitize cycle and promptly open the door. Vinegar and baking soda are both deodorizers. I use vinegar in lieu of fabric softener for most of my loads of laundry (excluding sheets, comforters, duvets and loads that are only DH's clothes). Multi-purpose - no smelly laundry, no smelly machine, no chemicals or additional trash in the environment and no irritant on my skin.

Good luck!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's also important to clean inside and around the rubber seal between door and drum. Water can collect inside and if you don't wipe it out after each use, the inside of the seal starts to get moldy. Get a flashlight to do a close check there because Affresh and running vinegar through the cycle won't clean this spot.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting point MP! I typically don't let clothes sit in the washer after it's finished but these past few days I have been running it while away. I'll have to make sure to never do this in the future.

I'm pretty good about the gasket, but I will be SUPER good going forward.

What a PITA... all I want is a nice smelling load of laundry!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1441141471|3922291 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I do (now, and for the past month or so) keep the detergent tray open, and I have always left the machine door open.

There is nothing (currently) stuck in the rubber gasket, and I'm pretty good about checking that because the CB leaves change in his pockets. I figure at the rate I'm collecting coins I can retire at least a year earlier than expected...

Will be curious to see what the bleach did (if anything) when I get home tonight.

Do you think it makes any difference that I never put stuff (detergent, bleach or fabric softener) in the tray, I just use the packets of detergent that you throw in the drum itself? If it would prevent this problem I would be happy to use the tray to dispense the products. I'd even start using fabric softener! And bleach!

Yes, that makes a difference! When I start my machine, the water squirts into the detergent tray and washes the detergent into the machine, and it goes right to the door area cleaning it first! ONLY use powder detergent! Once I began using powder and left the door open at all times when not being used, I have never again had the problem. I figured it out because the Tide stuff that you use to get rid of odor was powder! Cheaper to just always use powder and avoid the problem in the first place!

Definitely add vinegar to the other tray a few times to kill the mold or whatever the smell is. I would only use fabric softener sheets in the dryer, personally.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1441212447|3922670 said:
Dee*Jay|1441141471|3922291 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, that makes a difference! When I start my machine, the water squirts into the detergent tray and washes the detergent into the machine, and it goes right to the door area cleaning it first! ONLY use powder detergent! Once I began using powder and left the door open at all times when not being used, I have never again had the problem. I figured it out because the Tide stuff that you use to get rid of odor was powder! Cheaper to just always use powder and avoid the problem in the first place!

Definitely add vinegar to the other tray a few times to kill the mold or whatever the smell is. I would only use fabric softener sheets in the dryer, personally.

So you just put the powdered determent in the little receptacle in the pull out drawer? For this first time to clean everything out should I put it in all three receptacles (detergent, bleach and fabric softner) so that powder washes through each fo them?

Why is this so hard, ha ha?!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never used powder detergent in my front-loader. I do use powder oxy-boost, but that goes directly into the drum. (you're supposed to put it in before you load the clothes, but I usually forget and just put it on top of the load.) I wonder if maybe the powdered detergent isn't dissolved completely before it gets into the drum, and some of the powder slurry gets stuck in the hoses? You might try switching to a liquid detergent, or putting the powder directly into the drum rather than using the detergent dispenser.

As to alternatives to Afresh - I've used one of the liquid machine cleaners in the past - either Clorox or Tide - with good results. Also, I regularly use the baking soda and vinegar trick when I was my whites, which might also be helping to keep the machine clean (1/2 cup baking soda added to the drum before starting the load; 1/2 cup vinegar added during the cycle via the fabric softener dispenser). I suspect that helps keep the machines clean too since it's significantly cut down on machine odor at my father's house, where the laundry is set up in such a way that it's bit harder to keep the door open after washes and where there are several people routinely using the laundry.

OOPS - I see that you're using the detergent pillow thingies, so never mind!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this thread practically ensures I never ever get a front loader machine ::)

(sorry Dee*Jay I have no help/advice hope you resolve this issue, must be annoying)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1441216936|3922707 said:

I know, huh? Still, when it comes time to get a new washing machine, I'll get another front-loader. It uses so much less water that it's still a no-brainer for this California resident. That plus the fact that front-loaders get so much more water out of the clothes that clothes take much less time to dry. The technology has improved a lot since I bought my machine 10-15 years ago, so I'll hope that it's perfected by the time I need to replace my machine. ;))

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm never buying a front loader again either!

Just back from the store where I got gain powdered detergent and I'll try that. The CB is also going to put vinegar in the dispensers and baking soda in the drum and run the thing with hot water when he gets home. Hopefully by the time I finish showing my clients a couple of houses tonight the washer will be in a condition I am actually willing to use!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

(sorry Dee*Jay I have no help/advice hope you resolve this issue, must be annoying)
It's all about maintenance. My MIL's new top loader had a terrible mold issue. She started complaining that clothing smelled so I checked and it was super moldy under the top rim. She always kept her top loader closed and never ran a cleaning cycle. We scrubbed it out with vinegar and ran through couple Tide Washing Machine Cleaner pacs. I told her to always keep it open and she hasn't mentioned the odor since then.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest leaving the door and dispenser open (worked for me) but I see you have already been doing that.

Tide's cleaner worked well for me. And I would periodically wipe around the entire lip of the gasket - sometimes there was gunk/film in there that would start to cause a slight odor. I didn't get odor much, but I do recall that emptying that bit/hose at the bottom, then running the Tide cleaner and all was well again.

I recently replaced my front loader after it broke for the third time. I got a Speed Queen top loader (yes, old school, agitator and all) and I LOVE it. If you can't get rid of the smell and end up looking to replace it, I highly recommend looking into it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate my LG front load washer.

Never again. (LG or front loader.)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DJ, I'm so sorry you are having this problem. I have absolutely no advice for you as I have a top loading washing machine. After reading this thread I'm so glad I preferred the way the top loaders look. My husband threw towels in our machine and forgot to put them in the dryer a few days ago. They sat there for a day and a half and still smelled fresh. I had no idea people were having this problem with front loading machines. It would drive me crazy to have to leave the door open in between washings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, put the powder detergent in the pull out drawer (the little bar lifts up for powder in mine so the water can reach it). This is like using the Tide powder washer cleaner every time you do a load! I never have had a problem again once I switched to powder detergent (along with leaving the door open). I have used Tide but now I am using Arm and Hammer which does have baking soda in it. The only time I use vinegar is for towels to be certain they stay fresh. This works. the powder cleans the areas that collect the mold. But that is good to run it with vinegar and baking soda first. If it still smells musty, do one more with detergent.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

Me too!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If yours has a water filter have you cleaned that recently?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Our last house had a front loading washer that developed a smell. Turns out the hose was totally clogged with hair and gunk from the previous owners. Ewwww.

Cleaning the hose helped with the smell, but it wasn't mind clean.

The washer in the new house died and we replaced it with a super old-school top loader. Looks like it's from the 80's, but it was a quarter of the price of the new styles, cleans my clothes, and doesn't smell. Win!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My front loader has a little door down at the bottom that covers a spigot like thingie. When mine starts to smell even though I have the doors open I open up that thingie. Apparently water can get stuck in there and you need to drain it out. Needless to say, some pretty funky water comes out and the smell goes away.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results