shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternatives to Affresh (laundry still smells weird...)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had my LG front load for almost 3 years. I've never had 'the smell.' I use tide he liquid for sensitive skin and Nordstrom liquid for swimwear. I use the pull out tray for detergent. I have never been promoted to clean it or use the Affresh. When Sears comes to check it per maintenance agreement, the repairman comments that I'm one of the few with no smell and no mold. He says the smell is from rotting detergent and detergent overuse.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I was using our front loader yesterday I realized another thing I do that I forgot to share with you. I use very little detergent as it doesn't need that much and I think that is an important fact.

If you use too much detergent you are going to have more issues including the smell factor. I also always take the clothes out of the washer as soon as they are done and leave that door open. I do not leave the clothes in there for any longer than the cycle duration lasts.

I use a minimal amount (only in the pull out detergent drawer) and so far so good since I have been keeping the door open and we have been using this same front loader for 4 plus years. Not using any special cleaner to get it clean either.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about going MIA, just back from five days in NYC!

So the problem seems to have been solved by (drum roll please!) running Affresh through the washer Using The Setting On The Knob That Literally Says: CLEAN WASHER WITH AFFRESH.

DUH!!!!!

Apparently the cycle is HOT and uses A LOT of water.

Amazing.

(And mortifying. The damn KNOB even TELL YOU WHAT TO DO and I have been bolting all over god's green earth buying baking soda, vinegar, different type of detergent... :rolleyes: )

Anyway, just wanted to circle back and report!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:idea:

Glad you hear you figured it out.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first got my machine, I had a problem with one of the buttons and the repair man told me to run about 4 cups of vinegar through it about once a month on the highest setting. It dissolves detergent and fabric softener residue. He told me to continuously pour the vinegar through the soap dispenser with the machine running, while on the hottest (sanitize) setting. I have done it pretty routinely and it always gets rid of the smell. If I do it monthly I have no smell issues.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yunnow... I just have to say that I've had my front-loader for over 10 years, and I've only had to deal with smell issues maybe three times. AND - my front loader is the older version, with baffles that don't drain. The newer machines (starting right after I bought mine, most likely :tongue: ) have baffles that drain. I don't routinely do routine cleanses or anything special, I just keep a towel on hand to get the extra water out of the baffles, and leave the door ajar long enough for everything to dry off. I always use liquid detergent and rarely use fabric softener, but those are personal preferences that pre-date this washer.

At my father's house, we did initially have some problems after my mother died and more people were using the laundry. Their machine is newer and has self-draining baffles, but even those baffles have to be allowed to air-dry - now that everyone knows "the rules" thought there haven't been any problems.

I just had to add that - it is possible to have a relatively trouble-free front-loader.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results