carat
color
clarity

All about coffee......

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What roast--and are you picky?
Adaptable. Medium roast to dark roast - brewed up strong, as long as it strong and smooth, not bitter or burnt. They are not the same thing.

Do you drink it all day--or limit your consumption?
Usually 2 cups per morning. That's CUPS - as in traditional fine china coffee/tea cups - about 5-6oz, not mugs or tumblers. Very occasionally, I'll have a third cup, but not past 10am. Too much upsets my stomach long before I can get jittery.
If I need something in the afternoon a cup of hot tea does the trick.

How do you take it?
With half & half and sugar.

How do you prepare it?
Drip.

Where do you go for your "favorite" cup of coffee?
Home.

Have you been drinking coffee all your life?
Since about age 30. My mother drank instant (gag) for my entire growing up, so as you might imagine, coffee was not much of a draw for me. That and coffee in middle America in the 60's and 70's was not exactly...good. But some time around age 30, fresher and more varieties of coffees started showing up in my backwater. That's when I got hooked.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you drink coffee?
There is no sunshine without coffee, so yes!!!

I'm not terribly roast picky, I'm more taste and sometimes brand picky.

Usually in the morning but if I'm in a lot of meetings, a couple of cups during the day..just nothing past 3pm.

How do you take it?
1% milk and sweetener. I don't like sugared coffee I'm not a milk person (pretty much hate the stuff) EXCEPT where coffee is concerned. In the morning I add a teaspoon of tyrosine and sometimes coconut oil. my other half adds unprocessed cocoa to his.

How do you prepare it?
I grind my beans for each cup.

I hate must places for coffee to be honest to like to drink it at home. Can't stand StarUpchuck's burnt coffee (seriously smells and tastes like char from a bbq grill) . Dunkin's is tolerable but mainly because its the weakest stuff you can get...lol its ok iced. I haven't stepped foot in a McDonalds since the 90's so no idea about there's.

Pete's suffers the same fate as StarUpchucks but I can sometimes woo them into making a fresh pot for me (then its more tolerable)

But when I'm desperate, I'll drink anyone's coffee. This is when you know its an addiction...lol

Since I was 2. :)

Add what you like. Any and all coffee info appreciated!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you drink coffee?
I hurt without coffee

Any coffee, although I do appreciate a good cup. I have been known to drink it cold and old out of the pot when desperate. I know...gross.

Two cups in the morning, one in the afternoon... I can drink it in the evening too.

How do you take it?
Black with a splash of water to cool it enough so that I can drink it fast.

How do you prepare it?
I grind it all at Costco or Trader Joe's

My dad's house

Yes, we are Swedish and give milk with a splash of coffee to our very young.

I have heard that you can go to Hawaii and go coffee tasting. I am saving up for this trip. This is my idea of pure heaven! Has anyone done this?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always order from Coffee Project. They have a great assortment and lots of organic and other options too. Also really great tea!

One handful directly on baking sheet... SMALL handful. It WILL SMOKE. Into 500-550 degree oven. Shake on occasion (or not, doesn't matter much) until you get the roast you want.

I do lots of little batches to avoid smoke issues. That also lets me blend lighter and darker roasts.

Love the ability to select specific beans. Each has a unique flavor.

Oh! And each order you place you can add a free issue of Roast Magazine.

Other places to get green beans, but I like the guys there in California. Quick to ship and always the right order. James is awesome!

ETA: DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM OVEN!
Can go from really light to super dark and pouring out smoke within just a couple of minutes depending on the bean. Once you know the beans, you can do other stuff too but the first batch just stick close and watch. Takes under 10 minutes for most.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1447185031|3947901 said:
I always order from Coffee Project. They have a great assortment and lots of organic and other options too. Also really great tea!

One handful directly on baking sheet... SMALL handful. It WILL SMOKE. Into 500-550 degree oven. Shake on occasion (or not, doesn't matter much) until you get the roast you want.

I do lots of little batches to avoid smoke issues. That also lets me blend lighter and darker roasts.

Other places to get green beans, but I like the guys there in California. Quick to ship and always the right order. James is awesome!

Can go from really light to super dark and pouring out smoke within just a couple of minutes depending on the bean. Once you know the beans, you can do other stuff too but the first batch just stick close and watch. Takes under 10 minutes for most.
Do you really taste a difference in the coffee when you roast your own beans?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1447187242|3947919 said:

Huge difference!

I think it depends on what you use already. Some of the local roasters do nice work but they can change the blend or roast and that changes the flavor. It is also hard to find single origin rather than blend.

Roasting it myself lets me stick to a single bean or blend according to what I like. It also lets me do light & dark together so I get fruity along with chocolate or smoke or whatever. Each roast has a different flavor so combining allows me to find the balance I enjoy most.

Think about cakes as a similar. Some local will do fresh and yummy but others will be a little drier due to being baked earlier. Coffee also has a "peak" time where it is best. Depending on the bean, that could be a day or a couple of weeks. (I like most best at 2-3 days after roast). Most beans you buy are roasted and then sit for a bit.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, but where am I going to find good RAW Columbian Supremo beans for 3 or 4 bucks a pound?
... actually 2 or 3 bucks a pound would be more fair since I have to finish the job ... roasting.

I've noticed what's cheapest is what's most-usual ... IOW highest-volume.

For example at Winco's bulk section whole oats (whole unmolested oat kernels, which look like brown rice) are more expensive than rolled or steel cut oats. :confused:
Uhm, shouldn't whole kernels be cheaper since they did less?

Same with rice.
Brown rice costs more even though they didn't process it to throw away the healthy parts and turn it into high-glycemic blood-sugar raising white rice.

The world is loco.
Clearly we need to edjumacate to raise demand for healthier, simpler, and intact grains.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1447192267|3947947 said:
House Cat|1447187242|3947919 said:

Huge difference!

I think it depends on what you use already. Some of the local roasters do nice work but they can change the blend or roast and that changes the flavor. It is also hard to find single origin rather than blend.

Roasting it myself lets me stick to a single bean or blend according to what I like. It also lets me do light & dark together so I get fruity along with chocolate or smoke or whatever. Each roast has a different flavor so combining allows me to find the balance I enjoy most.

Think about cakes as a similar. Some local will do fresh and yummy but others will be a little drier due to being baked earlier. Coffee also has a "peak" time where it is best. Depending on the bean, that could be a day or a couple of weeks. (I like most best at 2-3 days after roast). Most beans you buy are roasted and then sit for a bit.
This sounds like so much fun! I am gonna try it!! Thank you!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
imitcan|1447018191|3947125 said:
Enjoyed everyone's posts about coffee. I am late to the coffee drinking trend. This was to the shock and horror of my family and relatives as it is unheard of in our culture for an adult to not enjoy a cup of coffee. When I started having a cup after family dinners, my aunts decided I was finally all grown up (at the age of 42). I started drinking it after my father passed away because, and this may sound odd, it made me feel closer to him to drink something he enjoyed so much.

I use a french press every morning and an espresso machine on occasion or when entertaining. I have 2 medium cups of french press coffee in the morning and then drink one or two cups of tea in the afternoon. I am starting to enjoy the sleeplessness and the restlessness of middle age so I try to be conscious of how much caffeine I'm drinking.

The best espresso I have ever had was in a tiny little "bar" in a tiny village on the side of a giant mountain (il Gran Sasso) in Abruzzo Italy. I still think of it, sometimes when I have one here in my kitchen.

I love the memories (your) coffee evokes! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1447030866|3947158 said:
I am primarily a tea drinker.

I always loved the smell of coffee but American coffee tasted repellent to me.

I like European coffees, but only some of them. Usually the lighter espressos that aren't so heavily roasted

After some trial and error though, I have figured out exactly what I like. I only like french press coffee or pour over coffee. Medium roast only. Sometimes even a light or a blonde roast. Nothing smokey, bitter or intense. I like very few espressos.

I also love a few Nespresso pod (hate Kurig) of espresso/coffees: Original Line Single Origin Dulsao de brasil is my favorite https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/capsules/original/dulsao-do-brasil I also like Original Line Volutto: https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/capsules/original/volluto I have almost bought a machine a few times just so I can have this espresso on hand. And I also like this Lungo: https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/capsules/original/linizio-lungo

I have coffee a few times a week. As a treat. I'm still not a coffee drinker. If I need caffeine or if I want a hot drink tea is what I reach for.

Coffee is a very particular--better to be particular about it! Glad you've found what you enjoy.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yimmers|1447032781|3947160 said:
For most of the year here in California, I prefer making my own cold brew. I hand grind Philz Philharmonic, stick it in one of those Japanese cold brew makers, and steep overnight. Cheaper than constantly shelling out several bucks a day for iced coffee. I bought the large pot, so I get two days' worth. Since it's getting cooler, I will make my own hot pour over - I'm using the Kavita ceramic funnel, but for guests, pull out the old Chemex. I sold my automatic coffee maker since DH doesn't drink coffee and it took up too much counter space.

I'm experimenting with various beans to see which I like hot. Admittedly, Stumptown makes a good bean for hot coffee. I also like Kona coffee. But for cold brew, I like Philz. I would like to try the old yellow can of chicory coffee from New Orleans for iced coffee. All medium roasts.

I don't drink more than 1-2 cups per day. Sometimes, an Americano when I want espresso. I used to do lattes, but hated the excess foam and gave it up. I take my coffee with cream.

The only exception to making my own coffee is the Philz mint mojito. It's the only fancy coffee drink I will shell $$ for, and I limit myself to at most, 1/x week. It's cold, minty, creamy, and I get it with two Stevias. Otherwise, I generally refuse to pay money for something I can do at home, unless I'm traveling or super tired.

I love coffee enough to search your equipment and methods! :bigsmile: :lickout: Thank you for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1447085583|3947294 said:
Mmmmmm..... Coffee!

I buy unroasted beans from a place in California. I especially enjoy beans from Africa or India. There is a blend of African beans I really love but otherwise I stick to single origin.

I roast at home every week or so. Love to do a blend of light, medium, and dark roasts for a really rich flavor.

We grind fresh every morning and make a cup at a time in our espresso machine.

How I drink it depends. Ranges from straight espresso shots to mocha to shots with a splash of brandy.

An order of $50 beans lasts about a year. DH has 3 cups per day. I have a cup or two maybe 3 times a week.

WOW! You roast (rock)! Well done..... :appl:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1447184879|3947899 said:
Do you drink coffee?
I hurt without coffee

Any coffee, although I do appreciate a good cup. I have been known to drink it cold and old out of the pot when desperate. I know...gross.

Two cups in the morning, one in the afternoon... I can drink it in the evening too.

How do you take it?
Black with a splash of water to cool it enough so that I can drink it fast.

How do you prepare it?
I grind it all at Costco or Trader Joe's

My dad's house

Yes, we are Swedish and give milk with a splash of coffee to our very young.

I have heard that you can go to Hawaii and go coffee tasting. I am saving up for this trip. This is my idea of pure heaven! Has anyone done this?

Cool! I'd go for sure!!!! I've been to Maui annually for many years but have never heard of this---guess it is Island specific?

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1447169016|3947756 said:
kenny|1447128710|3947591 said:
Hey, maybe I'll swallow a pound of whole beans a day and ... uhm ... farm ... them the next day, dry and roast them.

I'll get rich.

Note to self: if I ever meet Kenny, politely decline if he offers me a cup of coffee.

;))

I am with you....... :???:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1447103146|3947416 said:
Raised European, so I've been drinking coffee since age 11 or so.

I had issues with breast cysts, so doctor said cut down on coffee. I decided it was probably a chemical issue and stopped drinking big brand coffee (remember Maxwell House?). Now I only drink organic coffee and breast cysts went away!

I order San Francisco Bay Organic Rain Forest Blend Whole Bean coffee from Costco.com and it's only $6 per pound, including shipping.

http://www.costco.com/San-Francisco-Bay-Organic-Rain-Forest-Blend-Whole-Bean-Coffee-3-lb.-Bag-2-pack.product.100039920.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=759594&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

Coffee actually grows wild in my area, so I understand the plant well. What you want is shade-grown coffee, because the amount of chemicals needed to grow coffee out in an open field is staggering. The open field is handy for harvesting, but the plant hates it (much likes cows and corn, but that's a different story) and chemicals have to be poured on and they are probably what actually causes breast cysts.

The San Francisco coffee is excellent, without chemicals. Full flavored, never bitter, it can be super strong if you like, or you can brew it lighter and still have flavor. It has excellent reviews on Costco site. You can buy it elsewhere, but it costs about double.

This thread had enlightened me as to coffee brands. :appl: And you know how I love my brands!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1447173657|3947830 said:
Do you drink coffee?
There is no sunshine without coffee, so yes!!!

I'm not terribly roast picky, I'm more taste and sometimes brand picky.

Usually in the morning but if I'm in a lot of meetings, a couple of cups during the day..just nothing past 3pm.

How do you take it?
1% milk and sweetener. I don't like sugared coffee I'm not a milk person (pretty much hate the stuff) EXCEPT where coffee is concerned. In the morning I add a teaspoon of tyrosine and sometimes coconut oil. my other half adds unprocessed cocoa to his.

How do you prepare it?
I grind my beans for each cup.

I hate must places for coffee to be honest to like to drink it at home. Can't stand StarUpchuck's burnt coffee (seriously smells and tastes like char from a bbq grill) . Dunkin's is tolerable but mainly because its the weakest stuff you can get...lol its ok iced. I haven't stepped foot in a McDonalds since the 90's so no idea about there's.

Pete's suffers the same fate as StarUpchucks but I can sometimes woo them into making a fresh pot for me (then its more tolerable)

But when I'm desperate, I'll drink anyone's coffee. This is when you know its an addiction...lol

Since I was 2. :)

Add what you like. Any and all coffee info appreciated!

OKOKOK. I have to know--any (gourmand) fragrances you like that are coffeeish????

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you drink coffee?

Occasionally.

Medium, not picky.

I limit it to one cup. If I drink more I'm jittery for 3-4 hours and anxious all afternoon. I limit my caffeine intake considerably due to fibrocystic breast condition. My body is just overall very intolerant of the drug.

How do you take it?

With Sugar in the Raw and almond milk.

How do you prepare it?

I make it from pre-ground beans from the supermarket. :shock:

A local place where all the baristas are snotty hipsters. I go to Starbucks if I'm not in the mood for gloomy looks.

No. I don't think I touched coffee or knew how to make it until I was 27!

I am truly a coffee amateur!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you drink coffee?

Yes, I love it! The best thing about going to bed at night is knowing I can have coffee when I get up :cheeky:

Medium roast - lately I've been noticing I'm preferring my coffee a bit stronger than I used to. Not too picky.

I usually have 3 cups in the morning, sometimes I'll have one in the afternoon - I don't go past 5:00 or it keeps me awake.

How do you take it?

Sweetener and half and half

How do you prepare it?

drip coffee maker

I'll go to Dunkin' Donuts or WaWa (convenience store chain in our area) if I'm out and feel like having a cup.

I started drinking coffee in my twenties.

Me in the morning ----->
1899451xxhix9z4pv.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
of COURSE!!!! :lol:

Amouage Interlude is one. I love the coffee note in that even though the Kiwi can be overpowering in the warmer months.

L`Or de Torrente is mouthwatering. Its so hard to get in the US without paying an arm and a leg but I still managed to get my grubby hands on a bottle :mrgreen:

Probably the big surprise was Rebelle by Rihanna. I really liked the perfume all the way around, not a typical celeb scent (its now discontinued though you can still find it in some places)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1447091960|3947339 said:
As in real life, looks like I'm one of the very few who does not drink coffee at all. I cannot stand the flavor, don't really like the smell, and, as I've never formed the habit of drinking it, don't need it to kick start my day or get me going in the morning.

My DH enjoys it, though, and has one cup in the morning maybe 4-5 days per week. He grinds his own beans, and recently he's been drinking a dark roast we picked up in Costa Rica when we toured a coffee plantation there this past summer. He only drinks it black, he hates anything added to it.

My colleague does not drink coffee--I now "know" two adults who abstain!!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1447090082|3947330 said:
Somewhat picky about my coffee. Strong roast with a full body but without any bitterness, which automatically discounts French Roast. French press is my favourite though. Cream only, please. One cup in the morning, but I might have another cup in the evening on the rare occasion.

Bitter coffee = :knockout: . I avoid it also.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1447286592|3948457 said:
Do you drink coffee?

Occasionally.

Medium, not picky.

I limit it to one cup. If I drink more I'm jittery for 3-4 hours and anxious all afternoon. I limit my caffeine intake considerably due to fibrocystic breast condition. My body is just overall very intolerant of the drug.

How do you take it?

With Sugar in the Raw and almond milk.

How do you prepare it?

I make it from pre-ground beans from the supermarket. :shock:

A local place where all the baristas are snotty hipsters. I go to Starbucks if I'm not in the mood for gloomy looks.

No. I don't think I touched coffee or knew how to make it until I was 27!

I am truly a coffee amateur!

I know a few places with snooty employees (they always make it how they want which is not hot enough for me... lol)--but great coffee!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1447297821|3948580 said:
Do you drink coffee?

Yes, I love it! The best thing about going to bed at night is knowing I can have coffee when I get up :cheeky:

Medium roast - lately I've been noticing I'm preferring my coffee a bit stronger than I used to. Not too picky.

I usually have 3 cups in the morning, sometimes I'll have one in the afternoon - I don't go past 5:00 or it keeps me awake.

How do you take it?

Sweetener and half and half

How do you prepare it?

drip coffee maker

I'll go to Dunkin' Donuts or WaWa (convenience store chain in our area) if I'm out and feel like having a cup.

I started drinking coffee in my twenties.

Me in the morning ----->
1899451xxhix9z4pv.gif

That emotie is the BEST JB! hheeheeee

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1447336665|3948724 said:
of COURSE!!!! :lol:

Amouage Interlude is one. I love the coffee note in that even though the Kiwi can be overpowering in the warmer months.

L`Or de Torrente is mouthwatering. Its so hard to get in the US without paying an arm and a leg but I still managed to get my grubby hands on a bottle :mrgreen:

Probably the big surprise was Rebelle by Rihanna. I really liked the perfume all the way around, not a typical celeb scent (its now discontinued though you can still find it in some places)

Fabu! :appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're my favorite, Sharon. No one else on PS has quite the finesse. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just realized I left off half the questions.

Do you drink coffee?

Yes. As treat.

Yes, I am picky. See previous post.

See previous post.
How do you take it?

With heavy cream and Splenda. On a low carb diet. So heavy cream and Splenda are where it is at. I like my coffee to be light colored.

My living room. French Press Jamaican.

No. I started drinking coffee when I was in Europe in my twenties. But it wasn't till my late 30's that I figured out how I like it and started to drink it regularly (more than once a year).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results