shape
carat
color
clarity

airline dress codes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
All I saw or heard about her outfit was a picture of her in her (yes, very) short skirt and (very) tight top, but nowhere have I read or heard that it was only 1/2 inch from being a belt, or that she was wearing dirty thong underwear, or that she didn''t know how to sit properly. I also did not see anywhere that she flashed anyone, or bent over in front of a family with kids, or anything like that. There are a lot of assumptions being made about her morality and personal hygiene based strictly on how she looks, and I''m guessing, the fact that she''s a Hooters girl. I personally think that''s unfair.

No, I would NOT wear the outfit, I personally wouldn''t be comfortable in it. Nowhere did I say it was OK to display our private parts with abandonment, nor did I say "Who cares if she flashed someone." But how do we know she did? Her outfit from what I have heard or seen is not beyond the bounds of what I see regularly, or that other people who have commented above do. And the fact that it''s not that much different on the surface from the old uniforms just kind of makes me laugh!

All I can go on is what I saw and read in the articles I looked at. The ONLY thing I am saying here is the fact that 40 years ago, Southwest Airlines required its stewardesses to wear skirts just as short as the one as she is shown wearing in the picture. It''s irony. It''s a bit of a double standard for them, although yes, it does depend on the time period. They have no published dress code for passengers, and since that''s what decided to chastise her about, they don''t have a leg to stand on.

PS. I kinda dig the boots too.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
1. She is way too old to be having mommy defend her.

2. A privately owned airplane is not the same as a public street.

I think it's funny someone mentioned Hooters airline, as she is employed at a San Diego Hooters. Again, totally don't care what she wears, her body to dress as she chooses, but if the airline did have a policy in place it would have been their right to say "Sorry, we can't have you on our plane." That's not the case, so the flight attendant was wrong but I certainly wouldn't be threatening a law suit over it. We have to accept the consequences of our choices, which means both negative and positive attention from dressing provacatively in her case. But I also detest people who are sue happy, so that's a different story/thread.

ETA: I think the flight attendant was an idiot for lecturing her, if she wasn't breaking any airline rules it's absolutely none of his business what she wears either.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2007 8:53:22 PM
Author: Selkie
I also did not see anywhere that she flashed anyone, or bent over in front of a family with kids, or anything like that.

She accidently flashed the camera when she was on "The Today Show." So.....yeah......I do agree they need to have a PUBLISHED dress code if this is something they want to enforce. Didn''t FA used to have to be a certain height and weight too? I think that only changed within the last 20 years or so. The Southwest girls'' skirts don''t seem *that* short in the photo. Finger tip length and the shorter ones are shorts so there is a difference. Regardless she remained on the flight and covered herself with a blanket b/c she said she was embarrassed.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tacori, i'd be embarassed too if i was called out of the plane and chastised for my outfit!! regardless of whether she felt she was right or wrong, that'd be embarassing.

i agree a public street is not the same as an airplane, but with no published dress code, kind of hard to enforce imaginary dress codes.

and one is never too old to have mommy defend you...just ask any mom.
2.gif
however, i just said i'd be livid if that happened to my daughter, and i would.

again i don't necessarily feel like she was RIGHT or WRONG to dress the way she did, i for sure wouldn't wear that, but i feel like she can do what she wants as long as it's not breaking the law (and last i knew, bad fashion choices were not lawbreaking offenses but maybe they should be hehehee), but the whole thing really should never have happened in my opinion. that is the bigger issue for me in terms of what was okay. for me it's not about gosh she could be wearing a dirty thong under there, but rather should she have been allowed on the plane in the first place, and if she was, ever been asked to leave the way they did.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I think I''d be more embarrassed to be calling my mom in to serve as my intermediary at 23 than I would be to have been chastised by some stranger.

I absolutely agree that they can''t enforce a dress code that doesn''t exist, but I also support their right, as a privately owned business, to create one and expect their customers to abide by it or fly elsewhere.

And bad fashion should be against the law (think 60 year old grandma wearing that same outfit...YUCK!).
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2007 9:39:50 PM
Author: Mara
tacori, i''d be embarassed too if i was called out of the plane and chastised for my outfit!! regardless of whether she felt she was right or wrong, that''d be embarassing.

Oh I 100% agree. I also agree that they handled it poorly.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I think everyone saw her knew that skirt length was a train
23.gif
wreck waiting to happen. (how can you not watch a train wreck?) Yeah, they were probably wagering when the show was gonna take place. Anyone who dresses like that is not wanting to blend into the surroundings. An attire like this is worn to be looked and ogled at. I don't ever want to see anyone's ne ne or wazoo...by mistake or intention...I do care!!!
2.gif
Therefore, I respectfully ask to agree to disagree about the flash issue.
6.gif

Selkie, you are right it was never written or disclosed on her attire OR LACK* of attire under the skirt. I was merely pointing out that a girl her age today...chooses not to wear full coverage undergarments, and that that may have ~ again MAY HAVE been what someone saw that was offended and therefore pointed it out to the staff. I don't believe the length of her skirt was the shocking horror part to that group of people. As you all mentioned in that market is it a common occurrence. I was merely suggesting that a peep show was the catalyst for the complaint. (where I live ...it is a SHOCKING HORROR length.)

It was MY opinion that her skirt length was 1/2 an inch away from qualifying for a belt...in hopes of adding a sense of humor to my OPINIONATED post. Most readers here know me as a wind bag quack and usually have some fun at the subject I write about. Sorry if you took that to mean anything other than my intention. Should have added a
2.gif
or a
31.gif
. I thought it was funny, and the belt comment still makes me giggle. For those who had not seen the skirt...it added a sense of scale.

Don't know where the phrase "dirty" undie came from. I never said that. I did insinuate without much fabric she was really close to the upholstery. And my preference is not to sit in the same seat...as I don't sit on public toilets for the same reason. (in case you want to know I hover!!
16.gif
) I also never knew of her employer, so my judgement did not come from that fact.

Bottom line, wearing that fabric merited attention. That is why she wore it. And attention she got. Here we are on the 2nd page...and it is all my fault the conversation continues!! Eeekkk!

DKS

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not see the skirt in question so I probably should not comment. But I think there has to be some basic sense of decency. People''s private parts need to be completely covered in public. If that girl had moved across our row to sit down and showed something to my husband or child, I would be livid!!! It is like all morals and sense of decency have just gone out the window in this country. I think it is very sad.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
YUCK! That skirt is beyond short. The top is okay, although definitely intended to attract attention because the sweater only covers her breasts in front -- not her middle or anything else. It''s definitely designed to show off her boobs. If she''d worn just the bra and tank with a pair of jeans, okay, but the sweater is intended to emphasize her boobs and the skirt is merely a formality (and not much of one). Maybe it''s because I live in the midwest rather than in CA, but girls don''t dress like that here. They just don''t. If I were on a plane next to her or facing her, I would definitely find it to be a long flight. I don''t know that I would be livid if she flashed me or the kids, but later I''d definitely be using her as an example of people who needlessly do things that attract the wrong kind of attention, and why we try not to draw that type of negative attention for reasons of personal safety and socially acceptable standards of behavior, and plain old common sense. Of couse, I realize that our senses of appropriateness are based on our background. Where we come from, this would just be grossly improper and others would view a person who dressed this way as likely: ignorant, uneducated, someone who had little to offer but her looks, and low class. Whether or not that''s the case, that''s how she would appear to people from my neck of the woods. I''m not sure if my opinion is relevant regarding whether the airline was within its rights -- I would never dress that way and never did, so I would not have ever been asked to get off a plain for dressing that way. I guess I have no real opinion on that part.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I also agree that her skirt was way too short. As my mom would say, "is she selling baby food?"

I don''t get the saying, but it''s the first thing I thought of. lol.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish they''d ask the guy who boards the plane in a suit, takes off his jacket and has massive BO, always has a piece of luggage too much (not to mention his garment back is way too big), greedily takes every armrest he can find and spreads out his newspaper in front of him so I can read it without even trying, to GET OFF THE PLANE.

But no, they''ll never ask him, no matter how offensive he is to me. And let me tell you...I''d put money down that he''ll turn out to be a stealth farter.

Yes, that girl''s skirt was too short. Yes, I wouldn''t care to be flashed, although I doubt I''d be traumatized by it. But I would have preferred to sit next to her anyday compared to the neanderthals that always seem to be seated next to me!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
TGal, you''re right. Men like that are absolutely gross to be around. I''d definitely rather get flashed the girl''s naughty bits than smell BO for a whole flight. It''s been awhile since I''ve flown, but I don''t remember having any issues the few times I have, thankfully.

I always thought travel would be exciting, but it''s just stressful. Who needs other, inconsiderate passengers on long flights, airlines that are just looking to kick you off a flight for any reason at all because the flight attendants are underpaid, overworked and unappreciated (and therefore, ANGRY). I''m glad we don''t have to travel for business and most of our family is local.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No kidding lumpkin. I know it goes against my moniker, but I HATE flying. I think that''s why I loved traveling in Europe so much...I could take the train everywhere. Loved that!

I travel way too much for work. They don''t call it "road warrior" for nothing. I remember when they were recently thinking about allowing cell phone use in the air. Overwhelmingly, public opinion was NO THANKS! As much as I hate flying, at least it''s one of the last no phone zones around.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I couldn’t help but notice that Southwest is now using the slogan

“We’ve got you covered”.

http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/hotfares_air.html?src=e100907

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
guess after 3 passionate posts in a row, your feelings on the matter are quite clear, SDL...!
3.gif

neil..yeah i have seen all the press around it recently, they incorporated it into a huge marketing campaign and advertised mini-skirt rates. it was a big article recently in the paper.

eta: found this online:
http://www.populationstatistic.com/archives/2007/09/18/southwests-miniskirt-marketing/
me personally...still don't care how short her skirt was or how it was a like a belt or if she needed a bikini wax
33.gif
or whatever. SW was really wrong to treat her as they did. i'm glad they apologized.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 7:16:42 PM
Author: Mara
guess after 3 passionate posts in a row, your feelings on the matter are quite clear, SDL...!
3.gif

neil..yeah i have seen all the press around it recently, they incorporated it into a huge marketing campaign and advertised mini-skirt rates. it was a big article recently in the paper.

eta: found this online:
http://www.populationstatistic.com/archives/2007/09/18/southwests-miniskirt-marketing/
me personally...still don''t care how short her skirt was or how it was a like a belt or if she needed a bikini wax
33.gif
or whatever. SW was really wrong to treat her as they did. i''m glad they apologized.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

This situation was handled terribly, and if the airline had an issue with her dress code, it should have been dealt with prior to boarding.

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Geez,

It seems as if they are opening a HUGE can of worms here!

Does Southwest make the morbidly obese buy another seat right there on the spot because someone complained that they were overflowing into the seat of another passenger?

Just wondering.
33.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2007 4:05:19 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Not sure if it is actually a double standard...or if it should be chalked up to the old adage...times have changed.

I was a cheerleader and one uniform we wore those same shorts/boots as SW 'stewardess' have on. The difference is the times.... my squad did routines and every move imaginable in a dance studio infront of a mirror to make sure there was no peep
23.gif
show. The legs of the shorts were altered depending on each girls thigh widths. Southwest did the same thing.

Furthermore...Those skirts you see were worn by the flight attendants, were worn with what is called a 'bloomer' underneath - just as other uniforms I wore. The bloomer was made out of the the same fabric as the skirt. It had elastic thigh holes that fit the thigh low...not hiked up to the wazoo. Decency meant you don't show PRIVATE PARTS. Yeah leg sells, duh...is that a news flash for all? Look at the Cowboy cheerleaders...short short...but no 'NE NE or wazoo' showing.

The girl in question was wearing a skirt that she ripped to shreds to make as small as possible to still be called a skirt. For goodness sakes... She was 1/2 an inch away from wearing a belt!! Underneath was only her flesh with a string that was hidden (as it was flossing) from the behind peek, and a triangular piece of fabric on the front probably no bigger than a cotton square. A tad different from custom built full coverage bloomers!!! Before she sat down, she more than likely reached up or bent over and HELLO!!

Come on...What happened to our society when we decided private parts are OK to be displayed with such abandonment? Is there value in virtue any longer? 'WHO CARES IF SHE FLASHED SOMEONE???' are you kidding?

Would any of you supporters reveal where you would draw the line? How much further would she have to go for you to say...TACKY - VULGAR?

DKS

DITTO, DKS!

And for the record, I'm only 27 (yesterday) and I will never and would have never gone out in public wearing clothing like that. NEVER. Not even in my runner/personal trainer days right after college. I don't care how great your legs look, that doesn't mean the whole kit and kaboodle should be on display.

Indecent. Distasteful. A very sad state of affairs.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 7:46:45 PM
Author: Daydreamer7130
Geez,

It seems as if they are opening a HUGE can of worms here!

Does Southwest make the morbidly obese buy another seat right there on the spot because someone complained that they were overflowing into the seat of another passenger?

Just wondering.
33.gif

I think some airlines do require this. And if they don't, I think they should. I have nothing against obese people, but if they are affecting the quality of another passenger's airplane ride, they should have to buy two seats.

Southwest generally doesn't mess around. I haven't seen the TV show (on A&E and called 'Airline') about them, but apparently in one of the episodes they make a stinky person clean up before he can get on the plane and in another one they do make a large woman buy two seats.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I have seen worst. I have seen women wearing way less than what this girl was wearing.

I am flying out tomorrow for another business trip, after reading this, I am going to cover up from neck to toe.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I was reading about this whole controversy...can''t remember where...but basically, a flight attendant was interviewed and she said that she''s seen all kind of disgusting bodily fluids (poop, vomit...and worse) on those seats and you couldn''t PAY her to sit on one without a nice layer of clothing her skin and the seat....

I just flew back from Chicago on Monday on United and there was a woman wearing a totally hoochified outfit...and all I could think about was that interview...and I got a bit nauseated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results