shape
carat
color
clarity

After you kick the bucket...

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot86|1421884741|3820137 said:
I would do what my grandmother did and buy/have pieces made with specific people in mind, then later engraved with their names. I will likely never own much heirloom worthy stuff though.

What a wonderful tradition!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1421959050|3820572 said:
CRYSTAL24K|1421935776|3820331 said:
I have twin boys. I would love another set, but DH is "done" :rolleyes:

Edited to add the word "concerned"

But imagine if the next set were boys, too. Or if you had triplet boys. Plus your husband....I mean, there'd be boys EVERYWHERE! You'd be forever falling into the loo! :lol:

Very funny, but there is a lot of truth to your post! LOL :loopy:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1421843743|3819765 said:
I am hoping to have the chance to sell everything or give them away before I die, to friends, family and charities, as I am childless.

DK :))

+1, I also don't have any children and I have too many nieces/nephews so selling the jewelry is probably the best choice to avoid jealousy or competitiveness. Then I can either leave an equal amount to the nieces/nephews or donate it to charity.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our family tradition is that the eldest girl gets the ER-so I missed out on my mom's beautiful ER. I got the cash value so I could go buy the same ring if I desired and I got my grandmothers ring-not as significant. We then split the rest of the jewelry one by one with pick items. We had had a jeweler friend appraise each item so we knew the value when selecting. We even split up the charm bracelet and picked charms that were relevant in our lives and added to our bracelets. I am still sore about the ER-oh well-she has no kids so I hope that she will give back the family jewels from our family to my girls rather than her neices on her hubby's side. I have two daughters and they are already picking pieces. The eldest will get the ER and the other the cash and then they can start picking. I would like for them to have their birthstone-but one is emerald and the other periodot- and I have an emerald/diamond ring and peridot/diamond ring-but the value of the rings are far apart. So I anticipare a problem in the future and hope my other pieces can be sorted out to make it even.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
We don't have kids yet so I have no idea what the future holds re: my jewelry, but my MIL has already said that she'll be leaving her jewelry to me. DH and I have been married for 2 years and he's an only child. DH jokes that I ruined everything because *he* was supposed to be getting all the jewelry. :lol: MIL has quite a few nice diamonds and she know how much I love/appreciate jewelry, so I think it's the ideal scenario. :naughty:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After I die? My two DD fight over the jewelry now :shifty:
Hopefully this won't happen for a long long time, but the plan is DD1 getting the major ring, and DD2 picking, and also letting my sister pick jewelry/gemstones of her choice. If neither of my kids get their ears pierced, earrings will go to neice(s) and/or friends. As I sold my diamond and my sapphire earrings (didn't wear them enough to justify cost), none of the earrings are worth much.

My youngest says the darndest things. While taking a bath. "While family is more important than being rich, so I would choose family over being rich, what would be best is to be rich, with my family." I asked her what being rich meant. She said living in a mansion with balconies and also stairs to a 2nd floor (we live in a 1 story bungalow, and both kids are obsessed with 2nd floors!).

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have an only, & our dear son is gay. We've discussed the jewelry thing, he told me he would never sell or do anything with my larger pieces. Plus, he's at that age where he doesn't have a clue as to what the future holds as far as children are concerned. I've thought about gifting some things to my sisters, who knows where we'll be in 20 years!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1421958802|3820567 said:
monarch64|1421861784|3819919 said:
No. I'm taking it with me. :lol:

Hahahahahaaaa! Didn't ancient Egyptian princesses get buried with their jewelry, or something? If they dig you up in two thousand years, they'll think you were foreign royalty!

It'll go to my child (boy or girl) with maybe some to my nieces but I do love the idea above... hmmm royalty.... :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results