shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable Care Act Upheld By Supreme Court

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Beacon|1340927764|3225574 said:
Plus, the child credit, which is currently at $1000 per child will reduce to $500.

Figures that this would expire the year I will finally have a credit to claim!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="thing2of2|

Alright, off to work to make more $ for the government to tax ;)) , but I'll be back on later!

[/quote]

please do :wavey: ,and don't forget to put in some extra OT hrs, cuz i'm sure you will feel terrible if DF doesn't receive his "entitlement check" by the first of each month... ;(

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1340927913|3225575 said:
Beacon|1340927764|3225574 said:
Plus, the child credit, which is currently at $1000 per child will reduce to $500.

Figures that this would expire the year I will finally have a credit to claim!

Well at least you can still take the dependent exemption for your new baby. Plus the child credit won't go to zero, just down to $500.

We will see what happens. Congress needs to act on this or people will get a big surprise and not in a good way. I am hopeful they will do something beneficial and not let all the Bush tax cuts expire.

But under this new insurance law, if you had a flexible benefits program at your work, it just got chopped in half, which sucks when you have a new baby.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, I became a cold hearted republican ( :tongue: )watching my parents work their butts off and us not being able afford much (including healthcare) while I watched so many abuse the system.

I also chose to only have one child because I could not afford more.

But my version of "afford" is not the same as maybe that someone who has 5 kids. I want each of my kids to have their own room, and have higher education that we will pay for to some extent. I want to go on vacations in exotic places with my family. I want to reap the rewards of the work my parents sowed.

Rich or poor, if you're lucky, you have people you love and who love you. I wouldn't want anyone to fear losing a loved one because they didn't have access to the care to keep them healthy. There will always be someone who will find a way to abuse the system. For the rest of us who don't, there needs to be a better way.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="nkarma|

My question to you is, why don't you become Mr. & Mrs. Entitlement neighbor if their lives are so great?[/quote]

cuz my grandfather and my parents taught me to work hard and not to rely on government programs.our society have changed a lot in the past 30 yrs ,60% of the people in the US are receiving some kind of assistant from the government. nowadays,everybody wants something for doing nothing ... :knockout:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1340930839|3225608 said:
[quote="nkarma|

My question to you is, why don't you become Mr. & Mrs. Entitlement neighbor if their lives are so great?

cuz my grandfather and my parents taught me to work hard and not to rely on government programs.how our society have changed in the past 30 yrs ,60% of the people in the US are receiving some kind of assistant from the government. nowadays,everybody wants something for doing nothing ... :knockout:[/quote]

Well hey, my mother and father worked their asses off, got sued (love the American way), lost everything after the riots (including our house), and my dad died with 12 bucks to his name. My mom is still living, and takes SS, medicare and medi-cal, and I for one AM happy that the government did have a program to help her.

As much as I work hard and take care of myself, no matter how hard some people try, there can be genuine misfortune (or just tough circumstances to begin with and hard to get out of). I do believe in the collective good to help people.

Maybe I'm a closet democrat.... :-o

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="TravelingGal

Well hey, my mother and father worked their asses off, got sued (love the American way), lost everything after the riots (including our house), and my dad died with 12 bucks to his name. My mom is still living, and takes SS, medicare and medi-cal, and I for one AM happy that the government did have a program to help her.

As much as I work hard and take care of myself, no matter how hard some people try, there can be genuine misfortune (or just tough circumstances to begin with and hard to get out of). I do believe in the collective good to help people.

Maybe I'm a closet democrat.... :-o[/quote]

i am all for taking care of our senior citizens.. :appl: but i am against the young and able to work but don't wanna work group of people.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I feel there is a stigma attached to being opposed to Obamacare. The vast majority of those who oppose it aren't doing so because they don't care about the poor or uninsured. In fact, many want to make insurance more affordable for everybody, which is very difficult given that there is virtually no competition between insurance companies. But this only exacerbates that problem by making insurance more beurocratic and, thus, inefficient. The poor are penalized, small companies who currently can't pay for employees' health insurance are penalized (in an economy where many small companies are already failing) and larger companies will likely opt to pay the penalty in lieu of providing insurance to employees.

And the bigger (and IMO scarier) precedent being set by the SC in this decision:

1. The gov't can tax ANYTHING at this point. Although I know many would argue that taxes are NOT voluntary (because you'll go to prison if you don't pay them), they are based on behavior. If you don't want to pay an income tax, don't work. If you don't want to pay taxes for products, don't buy anything (though those are state taxes, not federal)...the taxes are based on taking some action. But now the gov't can tax you for NOT doing something they want you to do. And that is insane to me! Oh, you don't want to buy an American-made car? then you can pay a "tax". Don't want to buy 2 lbs. of fresh veggies every week? you're "taxed". I just can't wrap my head around why so many are willing to accept this kind of "tax".

The only slight good news is that because it is a tax, it can easily be repealed.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, you're funny, you know that, right?!

most people have sex as entertainment and don't sit down and do a budget sheet before getting 'under the sheets'.

and you too can be mr & mrs entitlement! it is your choice if you want to go down that road.

while you think your wife and daughter are working, there are those that think that they are on the public dole feeding at the taxpayer trough....which is their opinion of all government workers. if real fiscal conservatives your wife and daughter would be in the private sector. if less government is better then i suggest they get out of government. you lost your credibility on this long ago, DF.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1340935029|3225653 said:
DF, you're funny, you know that, right?!
i think you're very funny after i read your statement below... :lol: :lol:

most people have sex as entertainment and don't sit down and do a budget sheet before getting 'under the sheets'.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="TravelingGal|

Maybe I'm a closet democrat.... :-o[/quote]

TG...go wash your mouth with soap... :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beacon|1340903092|3225202 said:
I don't know what the taxes are like in Australia, so can't really say. Here in America we have a top rate at 35%, scheduled to go to 39.5% on Jan 1, 2013. Plus since I live in California, the rate here is 10% at the top end, which you have to pay in addition to the Federal tax. Then there is a "social security tax" which varies a bit these days, but is around 5% of your earnings up til you earn about 108K. There is an additional "Medicare tax" on all your wages of 1.45%. Then in my State, there is a sales tax on things you purchase, around 8.5% of the price.

So it does all all up, I must say.

So maybe it's better if my family does not work so hard.
You realize that FICA taxes (Social Security tax) isn't gone per se, it's an insurance program for you to collect on when you retire, or heaven forbid, become disabled. Or its there for your survivors should you pass away. It's actually more like a built in savings account.
Sure, you don't get to enjoy that money now, but it's there should you need it.

You know, working doing what I do, I hear a LOT of complaints from conservatives about how horrible the government is, how the government sucks, how Obama is to blame for everything, how they paid into the system, etc etc etc, until they need the government program for themselves.

It's kind of amazing when a hardcore conservative walks into my office and will go from complaining about how much they've paid into the government, that doesn't do anything for them to realizing that OMG they have to take advantage of said government program. Because, you know, it actually DOES something for them. If they need it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO the elimination of the entire health insurance industry is the answer.

ZIIIIIIIIILLIONS of dollars are flushed down the toilet running them.

Just make medical care like police and fire department services, just another thing paid for directly by tax dollars.
Our taxes would go up by LESS than our current health insurance premiums.

Alternatively let's invent out of thin air insurance for police and fire dept coverage.
You call 911 and first they check if you paid your monthly premium.
No?
Well then, they can't help you; you're house is allowed to burn down and your children to be murdered.
That's as stupid as a for-profit industry standing between you and the medical care we all need.

The only reason the health insurance industry exists to day is, like with the legality of sales of cigarettes, it existed yesterday . . . and oh yeah . . . campaign contributions and their lobbyists in Washington. :angryfire:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1340945841|3225729 said:

Just make medical care like police and fire department services, just another thing paid for directly by tax dollars.

Alternatively let's invent out of thin air insurance for police and fire dept coverage.
No?
Well then, they can't help you; you're house is allowed to burn down and your children to be murdered.
That's as stupid as a for-profit industry standing between you and the medical care we all need.

The only reason the health insurance industry exists to day is it existed yesterday . . . and oh yeah . . . campaign contributions and their lobbyists in Washington. :angryfire:

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

my favorite new emotie :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

No?

The only reason the health insurance industry exists to day is, like with the legality of sales of cigarettes, it existed yesterday . . . and oh yeah . . . campaign contributions and their lobbyists in Washington. :angryfire:

:appl: :appl: :appl: Well said, kenny!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I actually read a story not long ago about a city where the residents had to pay some sort of fee to the fire department. If they didn't, then the fire department actually had to sit back and let the person's house burn to the ground....which they did. Weird story.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Along Kenny's vein of thought, here is something I wrote earlier today:

"Once upon a time I was on an individual plan for my health insurance. Then I got pregnant. Which was when I discovered that my health insurance didn't cover pregnancy or any maternity benefits. They did not even offer a maternity rider as a supplement to my individual plan.

A "normal" vaginal birth in the USA costs around $7,000, and that's with no complications. My husband could put me on his insurance for $600 per month premiums. So I was forced to apply for pregnancy only Medicaid for the sole purpose of being turned down. Because I couldn't apply for any other programs until medicaid had rejected me. It took about a month for Medicaid to notify me that our income was too high, which had taken me about 5 minutes to determine. I applied for other partially state funded medical insurance programs, having to jump through multiple hoops to do so and be able to pay $350 in monthly premiums.

Finally I was approved for one of the programs. Then my employer decided to sign up for a group plan. It is illegal in the state of New Mexico for a group plan to not have maternity benefits. Even if that group consists of 6 people.

I was incredibly lucky to come out the way I did. My emergency C-section ended up costing $17,000+, which would have put us in the red.

I am THRILLED that other young women out there will not have to go through what I went through and maternity benefits will have to be covered by all insurances. I am THRILLED that women's premiums will not be higher than men's just because pregnancy is expensive.

But what I don't understand is why people keep voting against their interests. I do not understand how social issues (abortion, gay marriage seem to be the top 2) drive people to vote for tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires who pocket the extra cash instead of "creating jobs" like that tax break is intended for. I do not understand why normal working-class people are voting for less taxes, which means less money for: police, firefighters, national parks & monuments, parks, all government employees, streets, jails, the justice system, education, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, military, museums, and so many other programs that don't even register in my mind because I take them for granted.

I am so happy that strides are being made towards equalizing gay marriage. I am so happy that great strides are being made towards evening out the healthcare system. It is so disheartening to read such negativity on a day like today.

Our world could be so much worse. We are SPOILED."

You know what, we have a lot of problems here in the USA. But there are so many wonderful things as well. Why do we complain so much?

TRIALnERROR

Shiny_Rock
thing2of2|1340894910|3225118 said:
"The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the individual health-insurance mandate that is at the heart of President Obama’s landmark health-care law, saying the mandate is permissible under Congress’s taxing authority.

The potentially game-changing, election-year decision — a major victory for the White House less than five months before the November elections --will help redefine the power of the national government and affect the health-care choices of millions of Americans.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. sided with the majority in voting to uphold the law, Obama’s signature domestic initiative."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...lth-care-law/2012/06/28/gJQAarRm8V_story.html

+1,000,000,000,000

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We just watched the season premiere of Newsroom. I don't actually really like the show, lol, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. But Jeff Daniels does this, well, rant in the first few minutes of the show and I thought I'd share. I'm interested to know what people think about it. I think it could generate a really interesting discussion.

The background is that he's a news anchor who is part of a college lecture panel (sandwiched between a hard core liberal and a hard core conservative) and the question he was asked is "what makes America is the greatest country in the world?"

"It's not the greatest country in the world, professor, that's my answer.

[to the liberal panelist] You know why people don't like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so f***** smart, how come they lose so G*DD**M ALWAYS!

And [to the conservative panelist] with a straight face, you're going to tell students that America's so starspangled awesome that we're the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom, Japan has freedom, the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, Belgium has freedom. Two hundred seven sovereign states in the world, like 180 of them have freedom.

And you—sorority girl—yeah—just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is that there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt, a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the f*** you're talking about?! Yosemite?!!!

We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral reasons, we passed and struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, and we acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn't belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy. And we were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one—America is not the greatest country in the world anymore."

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericad|1340946971|3225745 said:
We just watched the season premiere of Newsroom. I don't actually really like the show, lol, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. But Jeff Daniels does this, well, rant in the first few minutes of the show and I thought I'd share. I'm interested to know what people think about it. I think it could generate a really interesting discussion.

The background is that he's a news anchor who is part of a college lecture panel (sandwiched between a hard core liberal and a hard core conservative) and the question he was asked is "what makes America is the greatest country in the world?"

[to the liberal panelist] You know why people don't like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so f***** smart, how come they lose so G*DD**M ALWAYS!

And [to the conservative panelist] with a straight face, you're going to tell students that America's so starspangled awesome that we're the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom, Japan has freedom, the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, Belgium has freedom. Two hundred seven sovereign states in the world, like 180 of them have freedom.

And you—sorority girl—yeah—just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is that there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt, a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the f*** you're talking about?! Yosemite?!!!

We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral reasons, we passed and struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, and we acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn't belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy. And we were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one—America is not the greatest country in the world anymore."

qft and because it just one dang fine read!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1340946426|3225738 said:
But what I don't understand is why people keep voting against their interests. I do not understand how social issues (abortion, gay marriage seem to be the top 2) drive people to vote for tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires who pocket the extra cash instead of "creating jobs" like that tax break is intended for. I do not understand why normal working-class people are voting for less taxes, which means less money for: police, firefighters, national parks & monuments, parks, all government employees, streets, jails, the justice system, education, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, military, museums, and so many other programs that don't even register in my mind because I take them for granted.

I am so happy that strides are being made towards equalizing gay marriage. I am so happy that great strides are being made towards evening out the healthcare system. It is so disheartening to read such negativity on a day like today.
I could NOT AGREE MORE. It's just logical.

People need to quit voting with the church because the church says to vote this way and the ones that actually kill your jobs not create them and make your own INFORMED choices that don't come from a political attack ad. Oh yea, bec that's too much work. The churches do NOT have your best interests in mind, they have THEIR interests in mind because they are a million dollar industry just like any other industry out there. Voting with them and all the other millionaires votes your ass right out of a job and takes so many of your freedoms that your forefathers demanded (including freedom of religion!) and all of the benefits everyone deserves and wants but seems to not get cost MONEY. You dont have to get an abortion just because it's legalized and regulated. You don't have to marry an individual of the same sex if you're not gay. But you don't get to tell me no if I want to.

I think it's AMAZING how much spite there is for unions in this country. The Unions/Collecting Bargaining are needed almost more than ever now, with these "job creators" laying more people off than creating jobs, and hoarding the tax break to make more profit. Without Unions, no one makes a fair wage. Say waht you will about this whole "union boss" nonsense. Some are like that, sure, not all. There are lots of Union Officials that want their members to be safe, well paid, and securely employed. Some Union Officials don't get paid at all, they are just members that other members elected from the ranks to help bargain for them AS members.

The only people that don't like unions are the ones that aren't in one and don't want to pay anyone what they're worth, yknow, the people who actually DO the work and MAKE the profit you collect your massive bonus from??? Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe union works are not overpaid, that you might just be underpaid? From 1970 to 2010, in inflation adjusted dollars, the income of private sector workers fell from $32k to $29k. While income among "job creators" ROSE from 2 mil to 16 mil. Why should I be glad to take a pay cut just to keep my job so some dickweed CEO gets an 8 figure bonus? Lee Iacocca was the first CEO I can think of that realized that if the company wasnt going to do well, he shouldn't get paid. Maybe we should make sure the "bottom feeders" get paid a fair and acceptable wage, before we pay our CEOs and elected officials and churches a dime.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericad|1340946971|3225745 said:

That diatribe was so f'ing fantastic!!! I liked the show, but I loved that part the most. Of course now all the right wing pundits are bashing it as though it was Aaron Sorkin's misinformed political statement. They're just pissed he's right.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Skippy|1340978053|3225874 said:
I saw this posted and I thought it might be helpful to see what has changed and every detail explained for everyone to understand
http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/vb8vs/eli5_what_exactly_is_obamacare_and_what_did_it/

Thank you, Skippy! So many people criticize the Act without understanding what's in it and and what is changing. I got into it with someone recently who kept insisting that the Act was equivalent to government run healthcare (single payer). This person truly believed that this is what "Obamacare", in its current form, is and this is why she was against it. She believed she'd have government insurance and that she'd lose her private insurance. It's just mind boggling to me that people can have such uninformed opinions.

I accept that the democrats should have gone on tour and really sold this to America. Get ads on TV, the internet, etc. and really hammer home what this plan is about and how it benefits everyone. I'm not sure it would have helped, but at least people couldn't claim ignorance in the face of all that information.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw a news story where news people went up to random people in a parking lot (I saw unedited footage, bec I have that access from work) and asked them about if they were happy about Obamacare. The ones that said no to Obamacare were asked about every change it would make and if they liked it, and they all said yes to everything in the bill, but no to Obamacare. Then were like shocked when the reporter would say "why don't you like it if you just said you like every part of it??"

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Beacon|1340928759|3225589 said:
But under this new insurance law, if you had a flexible benefits program at your work, it just got chopped in half, which sucks when you have a new baby.

Not too bad for the baby, since my insurance covers everything at 100%. But DH got braces earlier this year and I had to do the majority of the flex spending for it this year, since we're capped at $2500 for next year. Would have been much nicer to divide it evenly over two years, but oh well...better than nothing.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1340946426|3225738 said:
Our world could be so much worse. We are SPOILED."

You know what, we have a lot of problems here in the USA. But there are so many wonderful things as well. Why do we complain so much?
we are spoiled by borrowing $15 trillion from other countries.no sucha thing as a free lunch,so soon or later we will have to "pay the piper"
shouldn't we learn something from what is happening in Europe now?.. :confused:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

No?

What does it say, about me and kenny, when I don't necessarily . . . disagree with him? :o :bigsmile:

The only thing that will ever do any good, whatsoever, is tort reform. But, as kenny pointed out, that is not possible. Not if you owe your last election and the next election to those that need reforming.

Thanks, kenny, for saving me from spouting off at the mouth like a Republican. Now, thing2 and I have nothing to argue about. :cheeky:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1340995211|3226075 said:

No?

What does it say, about me and kenny, when I don't necessarily . . . disagree with him? :o :bigsmile:

The only thing that will ever do any good, whatsoever, is tort reform. But, as kenny pointed out, that is not possible. Not if you owe your last election and the next election to those that need reforming.

Thanks, kenny, for saving me from spouting off at the mouth like a Republican. Now, thing2 and I have nothing to argue about. :cheeky:

:(sad But I like to argue with you! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results