shape
carat
color
clarity

Adjustable chains any good?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am considering getting an adjustable gold chain instead of asking the jeweler to add a loop to a chain so that i can wear the necklace at different lengths. Anyone have any experience with such chains? Positive or negative experiences? I attached a photo example. Thanks!

_15065.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I have a favourite pendant with an adjustable chain, and I love the versatility!
I would always ask for an adjustable chain now.

However, I have heard an opinion that the the adjustment mechanism is not hard wearing and can be expected to fail relatively quickly.
But this has not been my experience at all.

I tend not to change the chain length very often.
When I do, I am gentle with it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one - it is versatile and I like it for that. However, one of the jump rings opened and has to be soldered before I can wear it again.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have four. Two is silver, one in white gold and one in yellow gold. I think they are worth having but I don't wear them a lot. They are great but the tail is heavy and they tend to shift on your neck a bit, just like a regular clasp will come around to the front. But with an adjustable a nice tail comes with it. That part is not that pretty. But when you need a in between length to go with an outfit, they are perfect. I don't think they are the one chain fits all problem solver but they are definitely worth having, IMO.

marym

Shiny_Rock
I ordered the wheat chain version of this from Amazon. The adjustability was great and I loved that about it, but the gold itself was very "matte" for lack of a better term which made the chain look really bright yellow. I bought it for a gold locket that I have and ended up returning it because the chain was just too yellow looking. I don't know if the box chain version of this would look super yellow like the wheat chain did. Just my 2 cents. :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 - wg and yg. Love the adjustability, no issues with the mechanism over the years. Like love2sparkle mentioned, it does shift like regular chains with the tail becoming visible but I just rotate it back.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 14kt white gold adjustable chain - just like the one in the pic. It started losing its "hold" about six months after I bought it (wore it almost every day). I don't plan on buying one like it again in the future. It now sits in my jewelry box.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear mine enough to have the problem, but it might be worth asking a local jeweler if tightening the ring that makes it adjustable is an easy and cheap repair. Then it would definitely be worth it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results