shape
carat
color
clarity

A different sort of shooting...

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, since I wasn't the only one to get excited about the "what have you been shooting recently" thread.....

What have you been shooting recently?
What is your favorite to shoot & why?

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What have I been shooting recently?
Bulgarian AK-74
Rumanian AK-47
Mosin Nagant
CZ RAMI
Glock 22

I’ve been shooting paper splatter targets at 100 yards trying to tighten my group with the rifles. The Glock and the RAMI I’m trying to work on getting more accurate rapid fire at 7 yards. For pistols I like the basic paper target (white with black rings) and with the rifles I prefer a paper splatter target (kind of hard to see 5.45 holes at that range…)

My current favorite to shoot is the AK-74. It is very accurate and it is really satisfying to make little tiny holes in the precise center of the target :)) . (and seeing the jaws drop on the guys with expensive rifles when I carry my target back in is nice too :bigsmile: )

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We made all kinds of plans to go out shooting a lot this summer since I finished Hunter Safety and we've not done a thing. Too busy. We've been to Scheel's a few times so I could "try on" different guns to see what felt best. I'm small so I'll end up w/a youth model but hey it's cheaper I guess. Mossberg 500 Bantam is what I'm getting. I've shot a couple of husbands guns and I'm pretty good (or was anyway b/c it was a loooong time ago), but the last one was a big heavy one and I missed.

The gun they issue to the Reserves is one he said I could shoot (meaning, it doesn't weigh a ton and have recoil to knock me over haha) and he's talked about a couple other handguns to try.

I have nowhere near the experience/knowledge that you do TP! It's fun to learn tho, I like it.

And, I thought that was what the other thread was about too haha.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After a many months wait I received the 22 conversion kits for my 40 S&W pistols. Now I can plink to my hearts content for a few bucks an outing versus $50 per outing.

Otherwise - I'm looking at an old 30-30 lever action to add to my collection this year. That will be fun too...

Who wants to join me?

Perry

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my latest fav is a colt mark iv series 80 officer's .45acp ..........i'm more of a revolver [.357's] gal but i love this pistol. so much so that i want to buy one in stainless if i can find one from a private party here in california. it fits my hand and is real metal, not that plastic that so many modern semi-auto pistos are made of these days. also, unlike the kimber i tried, it does NOT send the spent cartridge into my forehead or scalp!!!! i find the weight balanced for my hand and i'm relatively accurate with it....meaning that for self-defense which is no more than about 21 feet at most, i'm not to be messed with.

isn't that nagant heavy?!

i love going to the range and usually pack all the pistols and one rifle....and the ammo to spend 6 hours. very relaxing!

MoZo

ps i just recently discovered this woman: http://norcalcazadora.blogspot.com/2010 ... oo%21+Mail

who apparently did not start shooting and/or hunting until she was 41! i'm not a hunter but i'm definitely a self-defense advocate.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'm working on building up shoulder strength to be able to regularly shoot my Browning 12 gauge single barrel automatic.

I also just got an Ithaca 16 gauge single barrel pump which will be my hunting gun this season.

I REALLY Want a .22 to shoot squirrels with... and rabbits....but I'm a nut. The squirrels would be in hopes of some pest control. They are getting into the horses' feed... and they're eating my pears :angryfire:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
haven't went in a while, sold off most of my collection and let my range membership drop when I needed the money.
When things pick up more I intend to get back into it.
With my elbows I cant handle my favorite hand cannons anymore :(( so it is going to be mostly 22s and 38s

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Water guns and water balloon launchers (can you tell I have kids)!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
DH has a beebee gun (sp?), and he's got this metal target thing with little animal shapes (duck, rabbit, pig, etc). If we can't find anything on TV sometimes we'll have ourselves a little shooting contest (I usually win :bigsmile: )

I've been to the range and shot a variety of handguns. DH has done skeet shooting with rifles. I want to try that sometime...

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie said:
my latest fav is a colt mark iv series 80 officer's .45acp ..........i'm more of a revolver [.357's] gal but i love this pistol. so much so that i want to buy one in stainless if i can find one from a private party here in california. it fits my hand and is real metal, not that plastic that so many modern semi-auto pistos are made of these days. also, unlike the kimber i tried, it does NOT send the spent cartridge into my forehead or scalp!!!! i find the weight balanced for my hand and i'm relatively accurate with it....meaning that for self-defense which is no more than about 21 feet at most, i'm not to be messed with.

isn't that nagant heavy?!

i love going to the range and usually pack all the pistols and one rifle....and the ammo to spend 6 hours. very relaxing!

MoZo

ps i just recently discovered this woman: http://norcalcazadora.blogspot.com/2010 ... oo%21+Mail

who apparently did not start shooting and/or hunting until she was 41! i'm not a hunter but i'm definitely a self-defense advocate.

I haven't gotten to shoot a Colt yet. I should rent one at the range sometime and give it a try.

The nagant is quite heavy and I have to shoot it while sitting at a bench with a rest. It also has a very noticable recoil. It shoots 7.62x54R so is certainly a hefty round.

The metal frame guns are great. I've got a polymer frame (Glock) and a steel frame (CZ RAMI) and it is interesting to see the difference in how they shoot.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ah, are you a Glock fanatic?! most with one are........

i was wondering about the kick on the nagant.......i knew the thing was weight heavy. i'd have to sit at the bench with a rest, too!

i'm really a smith and wesson woman: j-frames and k-frames.

but i love that colt!

MoZo

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
We made all kinds of plans to go out shooting a lot this summer since I finished Hunter Safety and we've not done a thing. Too busy. We've been to Scheel's a few times so I could "try on" different guns to see what felt best. I'm small so I'll end up w/a youth model but hey it's cheaper I guess. Mossberg 500 Bantam is what I'm getting. I've shot a couple of husbands guns and I'm pretty good (or was anyway b/c it was a loooong time ago), but the last one was a big heavy one and I missed.

The gun they issue to the Reserves is one he said I could shoot (meaning, it doesn't weigh a ton and have recoil to knock me over haha) and he's talked about a couple other handguns to try.

I have nowhere near the experience/knowledge that you do TP! It's fun to learn tho, I like it.

And, I thought that was what the other thread was about too haha.

The Mossberg looks nice. The adjustable stock is great!It's nice to be able to set it up so it is comfortable for you.

What sort of handgun are you looking for? Home defense? Concealed carry? Target shooting at range?

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie said:
ah, are you a Glock fanatic?! most with one are........

i was wondering about the kick on the nagant.......i knew the thing was weight heavy. i'd have to sit at the bench with a rest, too!

i'm really a smith and wesson woman: j-frames and k-frames.

but i love that colt!

MoZo

No way.

It is very easy to use so it was a good choice for me when I first began learning. Even with the 40S&W it has very little recoil so it is pleasant to shoot. It is also quite accurate shooting targets at the range.

But...

It isn't as good at rapid fire as my CZ RAMI, the Jericho 941, the Springfield XD.....
It does okay with rapid fire so I'm confident I could use it to defend the house if I had to and be able to keep all of my shots where aimed, but the grouping is at least a couple of inches larger than with the others and if accuracy with rapid fire is important the Glock (at least the 22 that I'm familiar with) is not the greatest choice.
Also, the lack of any sort of a safety switch makes it not be best choice for open or concealed carry.

For home defense I'd rather grab our Jericho 941 (steel frame, 40S&W, very accurate, fires rapidly quite well, safety) or my CZ RAMI (steel frame, 40S&W, also very accurate).

I've never shot a revolver :oops:
How are they? I saw a few being used in the handgun safety course I took and they all seemed to get jam regularly and have pretty substantial recoil. I think that may have been more the shooter than the gun but I've never tried one...

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynnie said:
DH has a beebee gun (sp?), and he's got this metal target thing with little animal shapes (duck, rabbit, pig, etc). If we can't find anything on TV sometimes we'll have ourselves a little shooting contest (I usually win :bigsmile: )

I've been to the range and shot a variety of handguns. DH has done skeet shooting with rifles. I want to try that sometime...

Go give it a try!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry said:
After a many months wait I received the 22 conversion kits for my 40 S&W pistols. Now I can plink to my hearts content for a few bucks an outing versus $50 per outing.

Otherwise - I'm looking at an old 30-30 lever action to add to my collection this year. That will be fun too...

Who wants to join me?

Perry

Sounds like fun!
I'm always up for trying a new gun.

Ammo expense can add up fast. That is part of how we ended up getting the Nagant -- surplus military ammo for .20 - .30 per round is an awful lot better than $1+ (or on rare occasion .70) per round to use the 1903 Springfield.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K said:
haven't went in a while, sold off most of my collection and let my range membership drop when I needed the money.
When things pick up more I intend to get back into it.
With my elbows I cant handle my favorite hand cannons anymore :(( so it is going to be mostly 22s and 38s

:(sad Aw... Karl, I'm sorry to hear that. It must have been difficult to part with your collection.

If you're ever in my area (Seattle area) let me know and you can come to the range as our guest.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
revolvers are recommended for first time shooters due to ease of operation and lack of jamming. i'm surprised that they had problems with them....could have been cheap ammo, though.

do NOT rent a lightweight/airweight revolver: i did this before i bought and i almost did not pick up another pistol of any type. metal...real metal....absorbs the shock.

also, new shooters usually end up getting what someone else recommends which is usually to high a caliber for a new shooter. and/or they use "plus" ammo rather than starting with lighter loads.

i practice with a lighter load and save the nasty loads for self-defense.

MoZo

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best way I have found for new shooters is to start with a 22. Then work up in caliber as appropriate.

With the pistols and conversion kits I now have: I can have someone shoot 22LR, 9mm and 40 S&W using the same frame (and I can change between calibers in less than a minute). Key is if their hand fits the frame. I need to get another pistol for people with smaller hands.

Rifle - I start with a 22.

Have a great day,

Perry

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
agree with you completely, perry.

the j-frame fit my hand whereas the ruger sp101 did not. however, now that i'm more assured and experienced, i've found that k-frames work for me, too. however, a full size 1911 is too big but the colt officers' is just right.

trying them out before buying is also another key to success..........just 'cause it seems to fit the hand in the shop, its another thing when one pulls the trigger and the gun goes bang.

MoZo

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Movie Zombie:

Yes, people should always try to shoot before they buy. That can be hard to arrange - but good gun shops will probably be able to connect you (and certain gun shops in larger cities have gun ranges and rental guns on the popular models).

To change the subject a bit... I always thought that the Desert Eagle 50 was the ultimate in concealed carry... from the day it came out... especially for the beach or pool :rolleyes: (I know a guy who claimed that he could conceal anything in any public situation; so I suggested...) Not that I own one (but I know someone who does). Of course, I do have a hard time figuring out what I'd do with one. Not that practical - but impressive to some people.

Have a great day,

Perry

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry said:
The best way I have found for new shooters is to start with a 22. Then work up in caliber as appropriate.

With the pistols and conversion kits I now have: I can have someone shoot 22LR, 9mm and 40 S&W using the same frame (and I can change between calibers in less than a minute). Key is if their hand fits the frame. I need to get another pistol for people with smaller hands.

Rifle - I start with a 22.

Have a great day,

Perry

I recently got a small handgun for concealed carry so I've had a chance to try some of the smaller ones. I didn't get super small because I wanted to keep the accuracy and have something without massive recoil.

My top favorites were the Springfield XD (I tried out 9mm and 40S&W) and the CZ RAMI. The Springfield shot nice but the grip wasn't quite a fit for my hands so I decided in favor of the RAMI. I've shot about 300 rounds in the last month with it and am headed back to the range today after work. I've got the steel frame so even with my 40S&W the recoil is pretty okay. It is a bit more than my Glock, but that is to be expected with its smaller size.

MoZo --
I started out with 40S&W (145 grain?) and didn't have much difficulty with that. I think I got lucky because my handgun (Glock 22) had really light recoil anyway. I've tried other handguns with 40S&W and I don't think I would have done as well learning on them. Shockingly, I tried a 9mm (Ruger) a few months ago and found that it had about the same recoil as my Glock with 40 S&W.

I practice with anything from 145 to 185 grain (depends on what was on sale the last time I ordered). We've got hollow point for defense use at home in hopes that if we have to use it there will be less of a chance of causing injury to neighbors in the house next door. Since I'm about to start carrying my RAMI full time, we've been looking into the different ammos available. I think Corbon makes the best I've seen so far. (I really want to make sure I am carrying the best defensive ammo I can get because if I ever have to use it, I want it to stop the person (or animal -- we camp) quickly with the minimum risk to other people in the area (obviously I practice for extreme accuracy even with rapid fire to minimize the risk of missing but I still want an ammo that will help reduce risk further))

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Fun!
DH and I just got back from my family's property up north. We have about 400 acres of woods, so we went target shooting while we were up there. We took turns shooting our Walther PPS 9mm, Rueger .380 LTP, Sprinfield Armory 40 cal, and the Browning Buckmark .22 pistol. We forgot our zombie targets at home (D'oh! ;( ) so we just use little bulls eye targets. :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tuckins1 said:
Fun!
DH and I just got back from my family's property up north. We have about 400 acres of woods, so we went target shooting while we were up there. We took turns shooting our Walther PPS 9mm, Rueger .380 LTP, Sprinfield Armory 40 cal, and the Browning Buckmark .22 pistol. We forgot our zombie targets at home (D'oh! ;( ) so we just use little bulls eye targets. :bigsmile:
kewl!!!! sounds like a fun time!!!!!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K said:
Tuckins1 said:
Fun!

OOooooo! 400 acres of shooting practice!

Nice collection of pistols.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My RAMI came home yesterday!
It had to go in for warranty service to correct a problem with mis-feeding (firing ramp had issues) and I picked it up at FedEx yesterday afternoon.
FI and I are headed to the range as soon as we're done at work. (I can leave in 1/2 hour!)
Can't wait to see how it works now that it is all fixed!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'll be shooting my 12 gauge and my 16 gauge this weekend. It'll be my first time shooting the 16. Leave it to my grandfather to get me a gun before I shoot it. :rolleyes: . It fits, and I've shot a 16 pump before and loved it.

Next up for me to get will be a hunting rifle, the pea shooter I want, and a browning Pistol.

All over time though.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient said:
Karl_K said:
Tuckins1 said:
Fun!

OOooooo! 400 acres of shooting practice!

Nice collection of pistols.

Yep, was a blast! It was weird... We were just out in the woods shooting, and we both kept looking around like someone was going to pop out of the woods and yell at us or something! (We were shooting into a big sand pit though, so don't worry that we were going to hit some one or some thing!)

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My RAMI is almost sorted out!

Still had trouble feeding after the warranty service. One of the guys at the gunshop was able to file a small burr from the inside and that helped a lot.

Took it back to the range yesterday and shot 67 rounds and it didn't hang up as much and with the exception of one time, those hangups could be cleared just by gently touching the slide to help it finish feeding. FI and I are headed back to the range again this afternoon to see if we can work it out once and for all.

I wasn't too worried about shooting accurately yesterday but managed to impress a couple of guys at the range (both seem to be either law enforcement or military). They actually suggested I hang onto my target and stick it on the passenger seat when I'm in the car alone :bigsmile:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our gun club had a guest speaker last week. He had some really interesting information that I hope to never HAVE to know, but am glad that I know it just in case...

Marty Hayes was a law enforcement officer. He opened and still runs a well respected firearms training school (Firearms Academy of Seattle) with his wife Gila (author of self defense book, winner of competitions, etc). Marty decided to go back to school and got a JD.

He talked with us some and showed a video of an interview he did with Massad Ayoob (THE expert on self defense laws).

Tips for all people who have guns for defense:
Talk to an attorney and get their contact info (cell phone, home phone -- an emergency contact number where they can be reached any time day or night). Keep it with you at all times. (preferably an attorney who is experienced with self defense cases)
And...
Know what to do immediately after a self defense shooting.

What to do immediately after a self defense shooting:
1. Make sure you are safe -- if attacker had a weapon, use your foot to shift it out of his/her reach
2. Call the police (this should be done by the VICTIM, not a witness) -- Report your location. State that YOU were attacked and shot the attacker in DEFENSE. Give a detailed description of yourself (height, weight, clothing, etc). Insist that the dispatcher re-confirm with responding officers to be certain they are aware that YOU are the VICTIM. (you don't want them to show up to find you armed with a dead/injured person and assume that you are the bad guy)
3. When the police arrive -- "I am the person who called you. This man (or woman) attacked me. Here is his weapon (point to it). These people saw what happened (or "the neighbor in this house may have seen what happened"). I'll sign a complaint." "I will cooperate fully in 24 hours after I have had a chance to contact my attorney"
4. Call your attorney.

The reason for the above advice --
There are going to be two roles in the attack -- the victim and the bad guy. YOU were attacked and are the victim. This MUST be clear to everyone or you may be seen as the bad guy (sitting in prison waiting to be prosecuted for manslaughter...). You do not want the police to show up to the scene not knowing that you were attacked. Pointing out the weapon and witnesses (as well as potential witnesses) gives them a chance to collect evidence and speak to witnesses before anything/anyone disappears (empty casings can be blown away in a heavy wind...). This will be needed to help them verify what happened (distance between you and attacker, etc).
The officers understand about complaints for attacks. This helps clarify again that YOU are the victim.
Officers are trained in what to do if they are involved in a shooting. This often includes instruction that a person needs 24 hours to really be effective at remembering the details of what happened.

They highly suggest you do not answer additional questions until 24 hours later WITH your attorney present. Even if you haven't been read your rights, anything you say CAN be held against you later. (For example, if they ask how far away you were from your attacker and you say "about 5 yards" there could be video or ballistics testing that shows you were actually 15 yards away --- which makes you a liar). Your mind needs time to process all that happened before it can recall details with accuracy. If ANYONE asks you anything just repeat that "I will cooperate fully in 24 hours after I have contacted my attorney".

Some people suggest that when the police show up you refuse to say anything until your attorney shows up. Massad Ayoob does NOT suggest this because that is often what guilty people say. You NEED to get the important information to them (see 1-5 above) so that it is clear that you are the victim. (he sighted a couple of cases he was an expert witness for where the person refused to say anything without an attorney -- one of those people was still sitting in prison (at the time the video was made) after 18 months waiting for his manslaughter trial)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results