shape
carat
color
clarity

A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (Pics)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (P

And this is Niello, Puma's best buddy, he was adopted from Hopalong Animal Rescue in California whom I also volunteered for and later for others. Niello was my first cat during my adult life. He is the biggest mischief maker, quite the character, he hates being locked out of the bedroom and screams and scratches the door, if I leave him for one night he will unload dressers, closets, unearth plants and top them with toilet paper (no more growing orchids for me). His favorite pasttime is hanging out in the bathtub and stealing the plugs, even standing in the water to do so, no plugs are safe around him. He also favors pencils which he used to retrieve as a kitten but now has gotten lazy. Niello is also 13 and very attached to me, hates moving, never been sick, hope it stays that way. Ah sorry for hijacking this thread, next I will try the furbabies thread but now I have finally been able to upload pix again.

niello.jpg

charleston1

Shiny_Rock

All beautiful kitties :appl:

OVincze: your cats are beautiful cats and whoever took the photos has a great gift - are you the photographer?

The photos are stunning!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Loreilei I'd love to see pics of your kids!

Thanks everyone, from Jack. He's my newest. He's very dog like and he heeled my DH home one night, and walked right into my house. We tried to find his family. But it soon became clear he had been abused. He flinched a lot at sudden hand movements and other off behaviors. Then we tried to find him a new family (we already had 5 and 6 was a lot in an apartment), but he's ours now. He's a big boy too. Weighs in at 18 pounds. And he my chattiest.

OVince-- your boys are beautiful. And BOY are you good at taking photos of them. Wish you'd come over and take some of my kids. Thank you so much for your kind heart and caretaking of your furry kids.

We ended up with so many because we help with rescue, etc. too.

So far Merlin and Jack have been posted here. And Hally is ALWAYS on as she is my AV. So I'll try to post a pic of my other three is that's okay with Elliot!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Keep the cat pics coming everyone! I love 'em all!

For some reason in the past couple of weeks in the house, Oreo's name has morphed into "Oh Roe." I don't know who started it first but now when she jumps on the couch or trills for treats its "Hey Oh-Roe!"

:rolleyes: :lol:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OVincze|1400450839|3675656 said:
This is Pumie, he is a rescued boy, he must have been born at a kitten mill somewhere in California, it was a sad thing that they were selling kittens in pet stores and they got returned because they were born with congenital conditions and sick with coccidia and other critters too. Pumie was all love, climbing on me, drooling, purring like crazy, surely these poor babies were sentenced to die as they had joint problems.
Puma has been the biggest love, take that literally.:))) He is a kitty that has always weighed at least 15 pounds, nothing could be done as he can hardly move but he loves life because he loves people, I am sure this boy lives on love. When he was a baby and almost died my vets told me he also had a kidney condition he was born with, most probably they meant Renal Amyloids, Puma also had several emergencies over the years, he developed megacolon, he has kidney problems every couple years, he has very bad joints and probably a heart condition too but he beat the odds! He will turn 13 this summer. Let's hope for a long and happy life for him, he has always worried me. His favorite pastime is hanging out in bed, cuddling, wrapping his arms around my neck and sticking his head under my head. Of course purring hard and drooling nonstop. He even refuses to eat if he can cuddle.

OVi, what a darling, he's just beautiful! I love ginger cats, they always seem to have such sweet natures.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I too have a soft spot for ginger kitties but love them all of course. Ah those asking about the photography, I wish I was this good. A friend of mine took these pix and many others while I still lived in California. She has a site too I think Jean Papo Catography. We did take pix of animals together for fun of her cats and mine and also we went out on trips to photograph animals at the beach, etc. She does have amazing talent and has won many competition with some of her pix. I will add one more; this one is called The First Kiss, one of my favorites too. This is of my Sapphie, on this pic she was three weeks old and now she will turn 11. Sapphie acts and looks like a kitten, sometimes when I go up the stairs I only see a shadow flying by me, she is incredibly playful and also such a personality, everyone always wants to take her home. She is a definite cheater, she will wash everyone's hair and try to charm them up, not very nice towards me.:))) Smartest and sweetest little girl.

first_2.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Did Oreo hide your camera? :bigsmile: :naughty: :naughty: :lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain|1400869487|3678926 said:
Did Oreo hide your camera? :bigsmile: :naughty: :naughty: :lol:

:lol:
Actually, my guy has been sick the past few days. Like really really sick. We're coming off a particularly harsh Winter, and the weather has been alternating between high 80's and low 40's here, so all those times I was sick and he was not has totally caught up to him now and he's misrable. Oreo will not leave his side though. Here is a couple of them together.

_18500.jpg

_18501.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awwww, so cute!

And get well soon!

DK :))

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

How sweet! She's taking care of her daddy! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock

hlmr|1396916954|3649341 said:
Good for you Elliot! That cat is very happy to be with a loving person and you are doing all the right things as a responsible pet finder.

You could take a picture and post it at local animal shelters and on-line in case it has been missed by someone.

I am glad the cat found someone like you, versus someone who would immediately drop it off at a local shelter because it might have an owner out there somewhere, maybe.

Totally agree, Elliot you are wonderful to give this stray cat a home until his/her owners come forward. The main thing is he/she is safe and you are providing a safe haven. One of our cats went missing almost 2 years ago now (gone for just on 9 weeks) thought I would never see him again. Fortunately, my daughter found him sitting in a garden of a house about 5 blocks away. He is nearly 11 years old so was not microchipped and had recently lost his collar - so no i.d. We were so glad to have him back.

If this little guy's owners aren't found I hope you can keep him and give him a home. :wavey:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Monnyjay|1400950149|3679294 said:
hlmr|1396916954|3649341 said:
Good for you Elliot! That cat is very happy to be with a loving person and you are doing all the right things as a responsible pet finder.

You could take a picture and post it at local animal shelters and on-line in case it has been missed by someone.

I am glad the cat found someone like you, versus someone who would immediately drop it off at a local shelter because it might have an owner out there somewhere, maybe.

Totally agree, Elliot you are wonderful to give this stray cat a home until his/her owners come forward. The main thing is he/she is safe and you are providing a safe haven. One of our cats went missing almost 2 years ago now (gone for just on 9 weeks) thought I would never see him again. Fortunately, my daughter found him sitting in a garden of a house about 5 blocks away. He is nearly 11 years old so was not microchipped and had recently lost his collar - so no i.d. We were so glad to have him back.

If this little guy's owners aren't found I hope you can keep him and give him a home. :wavey:

You might want to read the thread..... ;-)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

What has the divine Miss Oreo been up to lately? :D My herd has been shedding out a lot of hair, LOL.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TC1987|1401812974|3685631 said:
What has the divine Miss Oreo been up to lately? :D My herd has been shedding out a lot of hair, LOL.

As of now we are preparing to celebrate Oreo's "adoption day" tomorrow. The year has just flown by :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oreo knows who needs the attention and is making sure your guy gets it!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliott, I'm celebrating Oreo too. She is very very loved!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So happy I stopped in to see the latest of "Oh Roe" (I love how their names morph as we know them better). It so cool to see that not only does she love you all to pieces, but to see how protective/nurturing she is to take care of your sick sweetie - I hope she did the same for you when you were sick.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1396915490|3649317 said:
Elliot86|1396914795|3649304 said:
momhappy|1396914288|3649294 said:
If you decide not to call your local animal shelter, then you're not making every effort to find its rightful owner IMO. It would make me sad to think that I could be keeping someone's family pet because I decided that the stray seemed to be adoptable. I have dogs and my whole family would be terribly upset if one of our dogs got out and someone just assumed new ownership of it. To some people, it's like losing a family member. I suppose that it could be a win win for all - except for the family that lost it (if there is one)….

I would be happy to contact the shelter and give them my contact info, let them know I am fostering the cat. I just don't feel right surrendering this cat who is slow blinking it's face off at me and belly up on my lap :(( Are you saying surrender it to the shelter and go about my business? That doesn't seem fair to an animal who showed up skinny and cold.

Doesn't seem fair? Have you thought about the possibility that this cat may have a family somewhere? If it does, how is it fair to them that someone just assumes ownership of it? I have young children and I can only imagine how terribly upsetting it would be if our family pet went missing and was never found and/or returned. I think the way some shelters operate is that you can contact them in regards to a lost animal, they make efforts to find the rightful owners, and you may have the ability to adopt it if it is not claimed. At the very least, I would contact my local animal shelter and asks them what their protocol is for lost/found animals. Some shelters even allow community folks to foster animals in their own homes while they search for owners. I certainly wouldn't' be making a decision about whether or not to keep an animal just based on my own emotions. This conversation is really disturbing to me - just because an animal ends up on your door step, does not mean that it now belongs to you. I give you lots of credit/kudos for helping it out - I am an animal-lover too. We have a lost dog in our neighborhood and the owners (an elderly couple) have been desperately searching for weeks. Now I wonder if someone found her and kept her :(

No one is asking you to do anything. A shelter is the last place to put an animal. THE LAST PLACE. Eliot does not require being told to take this kitty to the animal shelter. If *you* lose one of your dogs, I guarantee you it would be better if it were in someone's home than in a shelter. Its about the animal, what benefits the animal.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot, you rock. This cat chose you, thank you for 'catching' him/her! :clap: When I saw the first pics I thought you posted a pic of your current kitty who is so remarkable looking.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awwww, thanks all. To clarify this thread is a year old! Oreo is my avatar cat and has been a member of our family for a year tomorrow :appl:

We love her so much and couldn't imagine our home without her.
(PS is posting my pics upside down, but here is a pic from today)

_28657.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

azstonie|1428347037|3857612 said:
momhappy|1396915490|3649317 said:
Elliot86|1396914795|3649304 said:
momhappy|1396914288|3649294 said:
If you decide not to call your local animal shelter, then you're not making every effort to find its rightful owner IMO. It would make me sad to think that I could be keeping someone's family pet because I decided that the stray seemed to be adoptable. I have dogs and my whole family would be terribly upset if one of our dogs got out and someone just assumed new ownership of it. To some people, it's like losing a family member. I suppose that it could be a win win for all - except for the family that lost it (if there is one)….

I would be happy to contact the shelter and give them my contact info, let them know I am fostering the cat. I just don't feel right surrendering this cat who is slow blinking it's face off at me and belly up on my lap :(( Are you saying surrender it to the shelter and go about my business? That doesn't seem fair to an animal who showed up skinny and cold.

Doesn't seem fair? Have you thought about the possibility that this cat may have a family somewhere? If it does, how is it fair to them that someone just assumes ownership of it? I have young children and I can only imagine how terribly upsetting it would be if our family pet went missing and was never found and/or returned. I think the way some shelters operate is that you can contact them in regards to a lost animal, they make efforts to find the rightful owners, and you may have the ability to adopt it if it is not claimed. At the very least, I would contact my local animal shelter and asks them what their protocol is for lost/found animals. Some shelters even allow community folks to foster animals in their own homes while they search for owners. I certainly wouldn't' be making a decision about whether or not to keep an animal just based on my own emotions. This conversation is really disturbing to me - just because an animal ends up on your door step, does not mean that it now belongs to you. I give you lots of credit/kudos for helping it out - I am an animal-lover too. We have a lost dog in our neighborhood and the owners (an elderly couple) have been desperately searching for weeks. Now I wonder if someone found her and kept her :(

No one is asking you to do anything. A shelter is the last place to put an animal. THE LAST PLACE. Eliot does not require being told to take this kitty to the animal shelter. If *you* lose one of your dogs, I guarantee you it would be better if it were in someone's home than in a shelter. Its about the animal, what benefits the animal.

This is an old thread, azstonie - Oreo actually became a loving member of OP's family.
The early dialogue was about trying to find out if the cat truly was a stray, etc. and I don't think that anyone (including myself) was advocating a shelter drop-and-go. I initially asked about just utilizing a shelter in terms of maybe finding out if the animal has an owner. The comments I made came from my own personal circumstances where my sister thought she found a stray cat because it would not leave her front porch for weeks on end, but actually turned out to be someone's pet (she learned months later). If you follow this thread, you will see that all is well with Oreo, OP and family =)

And thanks Elliott for the updated images - Oreo is looking adorable as always!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Happy 1 year adoption day, Oreo! :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lil Misfit|1428408339|3857842 said:
Happy 1 year adoption day, Oreo! :love:

Thank you! She is definitely being pampered today :lol: I also just noticed looking that the upside down pic, Oreo's nose makes another heart :love:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^Oh, wow - it does make another heart! Oreo seems awfully special:)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One year already? Time flies, and Oreo looks happy and content.

DK :))

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can't tell, but she was kneading my stomach furiously in this picture :lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shook the treat bag

_28690.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Elliot86|1428419476|3857966 said:
Shook the treat bag

I missed the anniversary, but still think this is the best thread ever. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Love that little Oreo! :love: :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

We need more pictures than that!!

It's an anniversary! It's a celebration! Celebrations mean lots of pictures! :Up_to_something:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1447577581|3949863 said:
We need more pictures than that!!

It's an anniversary! It's a celebration! Celebrations mean lots of pictures! :Up_to_something:

I agree. I even have one to contribute!

chillinginring.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results