shape
carat
color
clarity

A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (Pics)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: A cat sat on my steps meowing to come in... Now what? (P

Not to interrupt/derail here, but do most vets microchip nowadays? I'd never thought about it w/my girls but it's sounding like a good idea now.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

packrat|1397261767|3652117 said:
Not to interrupt/derail here, but do most vets microchip nowadays? I'd never thought about it w/my girls but it's sounding like a good idea now.

I've never done it before, but Tinkie came with one (from the Anti-Cruelty Society). We've talked about getting Peanut one, but honestly don't think he'd ever actually leave our house since he's scared sh!tless of anything having to do with outside and runs to hide as soon as any door opens. LOL :lol: But, yes, I totally agree that it's a great idea. EQ got out 2x in her life. Once when she was only a few months old (my roommate at the time used to open the door to let her dog out and just walk away :angryfire: ) and again when we moved to N. CA when she was 2 (again, another irresponsible roommate). Luckily she was scared to death and didn't go far each time so she was recovered pretty quickly.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid|1397260998|3652109 said:
Isn't craigslist where people get bedbug ridden mattresses, proposals from Nigerian Princes and terminal sex dates?

hahhahaha...well in between doing all those things, I once posted a Found: Cat ad and was able to reunite a lost cat with an overjoyed owner who thought she'd never see her cat again. I had no worries that the owner was for real, and not an animal hoarder or worse, because she emailed me a picture of the very cat I found on my deck. The wonders of modern technology!!! (But maybe people here have never heard of the internet??)

Then I found my Nigerian prince and had terminal sex on a bedbug ridden mattress. It was kinky! :naughty:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mine does - I think most do. Our city and county animal shelters also microchip. Those are usually the less expensive options, but if your locality has tag or fee requirements for cat you can be sure they'll make sure you're current!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

UPDATE:
First of all I want to apologize for being cranky. I tend to get really down on myself when I think I could do more or am not doing the right thing. It's my own stuff, not anyone's fault for giving advice.

Oreo is not spayed, not microchipped, and has a bad case of ear mites but is otherwise healthy. She now has her starter shots, is being treated for ear mites, has a flea treatment, and refills are being delivered on Monday. She has an appointment for spaying and a microchip. A thorn was removed from her paw ;( She is also in heat! Fun! She is not shy at all. I was eating some tempura green beans and she hopped onto my lap, bit into a big cluster of them and carried them off like a dead bird. She ate every bite and came back for more (I didn't let her have any more). This cat :lol:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Omnivore, eh? She sounds like a character. :lol: I hope you get to keep her.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes. All my kids are.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1397277449|3652212 said:

Yes. All my kids are.

Mine too.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Elliot86|1397272890|3652191 said:
UPDATE:
First of all I want to apologize for being cranky. I tend to get really down on myself when I think I could do more or am not doing the right thing. It's my own stuff, not anyone's fault for giving advice.

Oreo is not spayed, not microchipped, and has a bad case of ear mites but is otherwise healthy. She now has her starter shots, is being treated for ear mites, has a flea treatment, and refills are being delivered on Monday. She has an appointment for spaying and a microchip. A thorn was removed from her paw ;( She is also in heat! Fun! She is not shy at all. I was eating some tempura green beans and she hopped onto my lap, bit into a big cluster of them and carried them off like a dead bird. She ate every bite and came back for more (I didn't let her have any more). This cat :lol:

Awwwwwwww!!! We want more pics! :bigsmile:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1397277449|3652212 said:

Yes. All my kids are.

My 2 cats are microchipped. They are indoor only cats but it gives me peace of mind if they ever get out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot, That's wonderful news that she is healthy and also that she is not spayed or microchipped because as many of us suspected it means she is yours and you are hers. And you are taking wonderful care of her! So happy for all of you and thank you for sharing so generously with us. It was meant to be that Oreo showed up on your doorstep that day. :appl:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you all! I will snap more pictures with my REAL camera later today. This ipad pics are always awful and don't do Oreo and her bright eyes justice.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh you want to give ME a shampoo? Hope you were done with that chicken salad.

_16898.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

So cute! Must have more pictures!

Also honey. PLEASE DO NOT FEED HER ANYTHING WITH ONIONS OR GARLIC (or anything in that family), ITS VERY POISONOUS TO THEM.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Most of my kids have spent time on the streets.

The ones who were strays the longest will eat anything, are talented little food thieves, and require a lot of supervision when we are eating.

Lilies, onions, garlic.. anything floral or edible from a bulb is poison. Just be very careful.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

cutey! did you give her a bath? I'm surprised you lived to tell the tale :razz:

I'm surprised microchipping is not compulsary in the US. In most of Australia it is a legal requirement for cats and dogs to be microchipped before they are sold or by 3 or 6 months varying by state.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1397367082|3652613 said:
So cute! Must have more pictures!

Also honey. PLEASE DO NOT FEED HER ANYTHING WITH ONIONS OR GARLIC (or anything in that family), ITS VERY POISONOUS TO THEM.

Other than a cluster of beans she stole, I haven't let her eat anything that isn't cat food/treats. I already own a cat so I know the basics of cat care but Oreo does seem to love investigating anything and everything I'm eating (or have already eaten) :lol: She also tore open a bag of bread and made her way to the top of the fridge. Pictures really don't show how tiny she is but she is the most food-motivated cat I have ever seen in my life.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot,

OMG, Oreo is a CUTIE and sooo ADORABLE!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

It's funny, although Oreo came to you in the same way that our first cat came to us, she looks almost identical to and behaves in exactly the same way as our second cat. I could've written several of your posts! :))

Thank you to you and your DH for opening up your home and your hearts to this cutie. :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the thoughts on microchipping. I have to call the vet in the next couple days about something else, so I will ask about doing our girls. They do go outside when it's nice outside, but we have a 6 ft fence around the backyard. Do you still do collars/tags then, so it's outwardly obvious that they're someone's kitties?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^Yes, collars & tags are still a good idea.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock

Although our cats are indoor cats, they all have collars and tags (breakaway collars), and all three are microchipped. Our first cat, Willow, is ten years old now and was microchipped at the rescue when we adopted her, so microchipping cats has been around for a while. :)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Elliot86|1397396730|3652697 said:
...She also tore open a bag of bread and made her way to the top of the fridge. ...

My first cat did that, too, right after I adopted him from the neighbors. I was at work, he tore open the loaf of bread, and he shredded all the slices then carried or batted them all over the apartment. I found bread everywhere, for several days. He'd tucked it under throw rugs, and under dressers and all. What a mess. He was a true hellion. :lol: Thanks for making me think of that.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock

The next step is to give the kitty a name. You've been choosen!

blod

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

UPDATE
Spay and microchip appointment: Next week :appl:

Cats: Some hissing and growling, but they are using separate litter boxes, nap peacefully on the same chair, eat separately in the same area with no problems. Any time they do begin getting cranky with each other I make it rain treats and catnip and they are fine.

New collars for both kitties are being purchased today, tags are being engraved, and Oreo is being treated to some grooming and her own bed.

A gigantic box of Advantage II is arriving at noon, and that's about all to report! Oreo has zero interest in going outside. We had the door open while we got groceries in yesterday and she greeted us at the door but ran away as soon as it opened as if to say "Yeah right, I'm not going out there again."

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

She has you well trained already! :appl: :appl: :appl:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Love meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

_16948.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

She is very unique looking! And a delightful personality :appl: Congrats on everything turning out well for you & her :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SO CUTE. Adorable! :wavey:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Rotten little cat! :love: :love: :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hippi_pixi|1397372851|3652630 said:
cutey! did you give her a bath? I'm surprised you lived to tell the tale :razz:

I'm surprised microchipping is not compulsary in the US. In most of Australia it is a legal requirement for cats and dogs to be microchipped before they are sold or by 3 or 6 months varying by state.

She's had a bath, flea treatment, eye swabs, mite treatments, brushing, and nail caps with no problems. A few mews during her bath but she seemed to enjoy being brushed. Our other cat? You'd think we were torturing him with red hot coals :roll: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results