shape
carat
color
clarity

A Book(s) Thread

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, glad you like the books. What Alice Forgot really stuck me. It's so easy to lose a connection and trust, even the people closest to us. Husband's Secret has a few turns along the way so you may or may not guess correctly. Enjoy reading :wavey:.

I just finished The Actress by Amy Sohn. To describe in one word - vapid.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1406739851|3723151 said:
Missy, glad you like the books. What Alice Forgot really stuck me. It's so easy to lose a connection and trust, even the people closest to us. Husband's Secret has a few turns along the way so you may or may not guess correctly. Enjoy reading :wavey:.

I just finished The Actress by Amy Sohn. To describe in one word - vapid.

That's what I am hoping. That there are still some surprises and twists along the way! :appl:

OK I will cross off The Actress! And since we seem to have similar tastes regarding light reading I would welcome any more of your recommendations. Have you read any other novels by Liane Moriarty?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her latest, Big Little Lies, just came out today so I haven't read it yet. Advance reviews said it was similar to Husband's Secret.

I recently read Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. Very offbeat and kooky story. I liked about 3/4 of it but not the 1/4 at the end. Others told me that they liked the entire book so I'd recommend reading.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little embarrassing.. But I like to read cookbooks and food books, not necessarily for recipes. I'm fond of Alan Davidson' s Oxford Companion to Food (I like to flip from entry to entry) and Nigella Lawson 's How to Eat.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why embarrassing? I love food books, too. If I could cook even a tenth of what I can read...

I have McGee's On Food and Cooking and Kamozawa/Talbot's Ideas in Food on my Kindle, ready to be read next. Or soon, at least.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I read them not just in the kitchen.. :)
McGee is also good reading. Better to get a print copy of it, the format isn't good in the Kindle edition.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the heads up!

I hate that some books were converted to Kindle without the least care for format and readability.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Shoot, Missy. I can't believe you figured it out. I did not, and when it came out, I literally gasped. I was really surprised.
I also just finished The story of O. I didn't know that I would like that kind of book, but I did. Makes you wonder. Lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read The Giver by Lois Lowry today. It's about a dystopian society. I liked it. Again it is an easy read (still all I am up for right now) but enjoyable. I read it in a few hours. I never even heard of it till I heard about the movie coming out so I googled it and thought it seemed interesting so I downloaded it to my kindle. If you liked Animal Farm you might enjoy this.

Today my friend highly recommended We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. I have no idea what it is about but am going to download it and see what I think. She went on and on that it is a must read and we usually have the same taste in books so I am looking forward to reading it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just starting a new-to-me Rosamunde Pilcher book, "Winter Solstice," that I found in a thrift store. Rosemunde Pilcher's books tend to be pretty predictable: usually the question is not who gets together with whom, but how the author will get them together - and even that isn't usually much of a mystery. (This time she resorted to a very un-RP plot device :nono: ) But her books are fun to read. She also does a nice job of capturing the atmosphere of her coastal England locales, making this the perfect book to read on a hot Central Valley day!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1407740553|3730081 said:
Just starting a new-to-me Rosamunde Pilcher book, "Winter Solstice," that I found in a thrift store. Rosemunde Pilcher's books tend to be pretty predictable: usually the question is not who gets together with whom, but how the author will get them together - and even that isn't usually much of a mystery. (This time she resorted to a very un-RP plot device :nono: ) But her books are fun to read. She also does a nice job of capturing the atmosphere of her coastal England locales, making this the perfect book to read on a hot Central Valley day!

I agree Rosamund Pilcher's books are fairly predictable yet enjoyable -- but two of her novels are on my "favorites" list, meaning I've read them several times and have them in my personal library: The Shellseekers (1988) and September (1990) - these two novels I believe are longer than her other books, and (to me) more substantial with more plot and backstory, just really beautiful, well-written stories that I love to re-visit.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I just discovered an author I hadn't read before and I'm feeling slightly evangelical about her, so please forgive my zeal.

Lauren Beukes. Read her. Seriously, seriously, read her. I've read 3 of her 4 books, and each one (Zoo City, The Shining Girls, and Broken Monsters) has totally gripped me. She plays with the line between lit fic and urban fantasy and crime and it's so so so good. Have I said that enough? It's really, really good.

You can't go wrong with any of them - Zoo City is more urban fantasy while the other two are more crime with one bizarro/supernatural element, but even her urban fantasy is so grounded that it feels real even when she brings magic into the mix.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new Laura Ingalls Wilder memoir is due to be published this fall. Apparently it's the unexpurgated adult version that LIW intended to write but didn't finish, and it also sheds light on the inspirations for the "Little House" books. I haven't tried this (yet) but one news source indicates that the book, "Pioneer Girl," can be preordered for $35 direct from the South Dakota State Historical Society Press by contacting (605) 773-6009 or emailing [email protected].

http://www.nola.com/books/index.ssf/2014/08/annotated_memoir_by_laura_inga.html

The recent juvenile literature thread got me to thinking that I might like to re-read this series - this new book could be the prize waiting for me at the end!

ETA BTW, MaryMM - "Winter Solstice" was as predictable as I thought it would be, but still totally enjoyable. I also realized that my 99 cent special hardcover book from the thrift store is a first edition. Probably not worth anything extra since RP was well-established as a popular author by this point, but the whole package, with deckled papers, lovely end-papers and type, etc. is very nice. I might have to make some room on my bookshelves for this one!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Historical narrative about the 8 college students from the University of Washington who won the gold medal for the eight man crew team in the 1936 Olympic games, in the presence of Hitler just before all hell broke loose in WWII.

From Booklist:
*Starred Review* If Jesse Owens is rightfully the most famous American athlete of the 1936 Berlin Olympics, repudiating Adolf Hitler’s notion of white supremacy by winning gold in four events, the gold-medal-winning effort by the eight-man rowing team from the University of Washington remains a remarkable story. It encompasses the convergence of transcendent British boatmaker George Pocock; the quiet yet deadly effective UW men’s varsity coach, Al Ulbrickson; and an unlikely gaggle of young rowers who would shine as freshmen, then grow up together, a rough-and-tumble bunch, writes Brown, not very worldly, but earnest and used to hard work. Brown (Under a Flaming Sky, 2006) takes enough time to profile the principals in this story while using the 1936 games and Hitler’s heavy financial and political investment in them to pull the narrative along. In doing so, he offers a vivid picture of the socioeconomic landscape of 1930s America (brutal), the relentlessly demanding effort required of an Olympic-level rower, the exquisite brainpower and materials that go into making a first-rate boat, and the wiles of a coach who somehow found a way to, first, beat archrival University of California, then conquer a national field of qualifiers, and finally, defeat the best rowing teams in the world. A book that informs as it inspires. --Alan Moores.

I am going to have my 11 year old son read this. I was humbled by the spirit of determination, hard-work and humility exemplified by these young men, and by America which was going through the Great Depression at this time.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished reading Take me with you. One of the best books I've ever read. I couldn't put in down. A must read.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem Queen|1409173480|3740359 said:
I just finished reading Take me with you. One of the best books I've ever read. I couldn't put in down. A must read.

Gem Queen, I just googled this and there are 2 books with the same title. Who is the author? I am definitely going to read this because that is quite the endorsement.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1409174050|3740363 said:

Gem Queen, I just googled this and there are 2 books with the same title. Who is the author? I am definitely going to read this because that is quite the endorsement.

I found a few, and the ones by Catherine Ryan Hyde and Carolyn Marsden sound pretty good. they definitely sound like tear-jerkers. Ooh, there's one by Brad Newsham also, about a man who set off on an around the world adventure. That one sounds good, too!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe. It's Catherine Ryan Hyde. It is not the typical book I read. If you have a Kindle, they have this subscription thing for $10 a month. Tons of free books. I've read so many. I am a court reporter for my real job. I had shoulder surgery and just got back to work after almost a year. I work in court. I am on limited work duty. I'm usually slammed with transcripts, so I don't get to read for pleasure. I have gotten to read plenty of books. I read a few of the classics and loved Wuthering Heights. There are a whole bunch of free books. This is one of them. She also wrote Pay it forward. That was a great movie. I am going to start another one from her tomorrow. I don't like love story books, they are too predictable. You will be surprised.
Please let me know what you think. Enjoy!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, the latest ("late in life") addition to Jan Karon's Mitford series. It started somewhat slow, but by mid-book... the Mitford Magic was back! I probably appreciated Somewhere Special all the more because of the eight-year hiatus since the publication of the last "official" Mitford book - which was supposed to be the end of the series - but it did seem to me that this was one of the best Mitford books. BTW if you've followed the Mitford books and are thinking of reading Somewhere Safe, be advised that it does also make reference to the two "Father Tim" books, particularly Home to Holly Springs.

I also read the two latest "Sneaky Pie Brown" murder mysteries by RIta Mae Brown. Cozy, fluffy fun; I always enjoy a weekend visit to Crozet. Oh, and Etta Mae's Worst Bad-Luck Day, the most recent entry in the Miss Julia series - more cozy fun.

I'm going to have to explore some new authors or visit some other genres!

I wonder if Marcia Muller has come out with anything new lately? Hmm...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gem Queen|1409201559|3740550 said:
Zoe. It's Catherine Ryan Hyde. It is not the typical book I read. If you have a Kindle, they have this subscription thing for $10 a month. Tons of free books. I've read so many. I am a court reporter for my real job. I had shoulder surgery and just got back to work after almost a year. I work in court. I am on limited work duty. I'm usually slammed with transcripts, so I don't get to read for pleasure. I have gotten to read plenty of books. I read a few of the classics and loved Wuthering Heights. There are a whole bunch of free books. This is one of them. She also wrote Pay it forward. That was a great movie. I am going to start another one from her tomorrow. I don't like love story books, they are too predictable. You will be surprised.
Please let me know what you think. Enjoy!

You have no idea how sad I am that Kindle Unlimited is US only.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Gem Queen! I have it on my list.

Has anyone read any of Lisa Jackson's books? I just started Close to Home last weekend, and it's good so far. It seems to be a good ol' fashioned ghost story. I'm not too far into it yet, but I really like what I've read.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just finished this book - truly an excellent read - thanks so much for the recommendation - now I'm off to investigate her other books (and I'm so glad she does have other books).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1410170749|3746863 said:
Just finished Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, the latest ("late in life") addition to Jan Karon's Mitford series. It started somewhat slow, but by mid-book... the Mitford Magic was back! I probably appreciated Somewhere Special all the more because of the eight-year hiatus since the publication of the last "official" Mitford book - which was supposed to be the end of the series - but it did seem to me that this was one of the best Mitford books. BTW if you've followed the Mitford books and are thinking of reading Somewhere Safe, be advised that it does also make reference to the two "Father Tim" books, particularly Home to Holly Springs.

I'm glad you didn't give too much away because I just started reading it! I have read a bunch of books since I last posted to this thread. The one just before this one was Lee Child's Personal, the latest in his Jack Reacher series. It was great if you like that series. (I like fast moving adventure stories as long as they are not too farfetched or full of gadgets and have some characterization.) Before that I finished the third book out of three in a series about murders in a cooking school in Missouri. Very "cozy"...with ghosts, no less. I find these books a bit hard to read at times, but they are "filler" and I really cannot bear to read romances or stuff like that. I can't recall what was before that. I'd have to go look in my bedroom!

Deb/AGBF

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earlier this week I read Plainsong by Kent Haruf, and I'm now reading the sequel, Eventide. Both novels are set in a small town in the high plains of Eastern Colorado. Plainsong tells the story of a small cast of characters in the third person, in a very detached, almost reporterly way. Eventide zooms out on some of the original characters, and brings new ones into the story's orbit. It's almost like Debbie McCumber's Blossom Street series as told by Dusty or Lefty (Garrison Keillor's an archetypal bachelor cowboys) although without the humor. At times the gritty, dispassionate writing style makes me think I could just walk away and leave the book mid-story, but then a little story arc comes along that has me reaching for a tissue - or two. ;(

I picked up Plainsong at a thrift store because the cover and title, which refers to an form of early American church music, appealed to me. The little National Book Award Finalist medallion might have swayed me a bit too. :wink2: Anyhow, I'm glad I finally stepped out of my favorite genres and found this little town.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1410981242|3752612 said:
Earlier this week I read Plainsong by Kent Haruf, and I'm now reading the sequel, Eventide. Both novels are set in a small town in the high plains of Eastern Colorado. Plainsong tells the story of a small cast of characters in the third person, in a very detached, almost reporterly way. Eventide zooms out on some of the original characters, and brings new ones into the story's orbit. It's almost like Debbie McCumber's Blossom Street series as told by Dusty or Lefty (Garrison Keillor's an archetypal bachelor cowboys) although without the humor. At times the gritty, dispassionate writing style makes me think I could just walk away and leave the book mid-story, but then a little story arc comes along that has me reaching for a tissue - or two. ;(

I picked up Plainsong at a thrift store because the cover and title, which refers to an form of early American church music, appealed to me. The little National Book Award Finalist medallion might have swayed me a bit too. :wink2: Anyhow, I'm glad I finally stepped out of my favorite genres and found this little town.

I loved Plainsong, and I really liked Eventide - I think Kent Haruf is a great writer. I just started the Magicians by Lev Grossman, and I downloaded "The Giver" on a PSers recommendation above.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On another subject entirely...I don't know if we ever discussed The Shipping News (Annie Proulx) in this thread. If we did, I wasn't tuned in to the discussion back then. It was assigned to a book club I belonged to eons ago, but I didn't go to the meeting where it was discussed and I didn't read it. A few days ago a friend had me come over to see the DVD with her and her husband. That led me to reading reviews of the book and I decided to order the paperback from Amazon after all. I am sure some of you have read it. Did you like it? I already know it is different from the movie from all the reviews I read, but I'd like your feedback on which I have come to rely!!!

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I loved The Shipping News, and I think also all of Annie Proulx's other books that I've read. She has a great voice and her descriptions always seem very "real" to me. I put here in a similar bucket with Barbara Kinsolver if that helps at all.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read The Shipping News when it first came out and I loved it. However, two of my friend started it on my recommendation and couldn't get into it - one said the characters were just too quirky for him. It does require a good bit of suspension of disbelief. I haven't tried to re-read it yet because I'm not sure whatever magic it had would still be there the second time through. But since you haven't read it yet... absolutely give it a go.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1410989554|3752707 said:
I read The Shipping News when it first came out and I loved it. However, two of my friend started it on my recommendation and couldn't get into it - one said the characters were just too quirky for him. It does require a good bit of suspension of disbelief. I haven't tried to re-read it yet because I'm not sure whatever magic it had would still be there the second time through. But since you haven't read it yet... absolutely give it a go.

Thanks VRBeauty and Dee*Jay. I trust both of your opinions and I also love almost everything Barbara Kingsolver wrote! I suspect that I'll enjoy the book.

Deb :wavey:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
violet3|1410985878|3752655 said:
VRBeauty|1410981242|3752612 said:

I loved Plainsong, and I really liked Eventide - I think Kent Haruf is a great writer. I just started the Magicians by Lev Grossman, and I downloaded "The Giver" on a PSers recommendation above.

Do share your thoughts on The Magicians when you finish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results