shape
carat
color
clarity

A Book(s) Thread

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recommendation, VR. I think Gypsy reads cozies too, and every time I see a post about them, I think I should pick up a few. I've never read cozies and although I like mysteries, I tend to gloss over the violent parts. Cozies might be right up my alley.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I go away for a few days and this thread explodes! I love it!

violet3 said:
MC|1390696675|3601187 said:
I'll be sure to buy the first of Divergent but maybe get the other two from the library. I have so many partially read books stacked up and need to break that habit.

I'm almost through the second book of the Divergent series (Insurgent). As a friend told me, it's not nearly as captivating as the first book, but the second half is significantly better than the first half. I'm sure I'll read the third book (Allegiant) even though I'm told that the third book isn't great. Overall, I really like the series!

I know that this is contrary to the common opinion, but I got more involved as the series went on, instead of less. The focus and the action do change and I think that's why people feel they are less gripping. Also, I personally felt that Allegiant was well written, but people are downright angry about some choices the author made. I liked it, even if it was a bit of a gut check.

So glad to find other Book Thief fans! Do you feel that even with an anthropomorphised Death the book can be classified as strictly historical fiction? I agree with you about it not being fantasy, but I don't know how to best classify it. I don't think it really fits into any genre, and I'm just curious what others think!

Zoe said:
I began Mad About the Boy, Helen Fielding's latest book with her character, Bridget Jones. I only got about 100 pages in before I put it down in favor for a Nora Roberts book. I just couldn't get into it. I felt that way abut Fielding's second book about Bridget Jones, but I plowed through it anyway.

Now I'm reading Vision in White, the first book in Robert's The Bride Quartet series. It's a quick read and I'm almost halfway through it already. It's pretty good so far.

I'm sorry Mad About the Boy didn't do it for you; I thought it was like two books stacked in one: same old same old silly Bridget and then this incredible story of moving through grief, which was the far more intriguing for me. I would normally say that I'd prefer the two separate, but I felt it really worked in this one because it demonstrated some of the common, almost banal, aspects of grief that no one ever talks about and how normal people, even very silly ones, can be quite heroic when they need to be. But I can absolutely see how it would not catch everyone's attention. It took me by surprise, to say the least.

Gypsy said:
The Legend of Eli MonPress series by Rachel Aaron was good too. I'd give that one 4 stars.

I just read this whole series, as well. I loved the first book, and enjoyed the rest of the series, although I felt like it bogged down a little. On the one hand, each book deepened the mythology of the world and it ended up going in a totally different direction than I had originally anticipated, which were good things. But on the other hand, it got kinda metaphysical and still left us with some un-answered questions at the end. I agree with your 4 star rating.

And, this authors writes under another pen name as well, Rachel Bach, which is actually how I found her. Her sci-fi book Fortune's Pawn showed up highly recommended on my Goodreads feed and I chose to start with her fantasy writings, but will be checking out these books, too. Someone reviewed them as "sci fi written like urban fantasy with a kickass heroine"; sounds like they might be up your alley!

Let's see; I did read The Giver, but I have not yet picked up the rest in the series. I read their descriptions and couldn't quite figure out if they were directly related and how much time had passed, so I put those on the back burner instead of taking them on my trip.

I started one called The Line, by JD Horn. It was a Prime freebie. Admittedly, I've only gotten a few chapters in but the writing style is not working for me and I don't know if I'll go back to it.

And I read two more Jessica Day George books, Tuesdays at the Castle and Wednesdays in the Tower. I can't remember if I have mentioned this author before, but I'm a big fan for light, happy, quick fairy tale reads. These two did not disappoint; hardly deep, dark, or twisty they are bright, creative, easy to read fantasy books for a younger age group and a lot of fun escapism.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aviastar, I'm surprised I couldn't get into Mad About the Boy. I love Bridget Jones and I read other chick lit books, so I assumed I'd like this one. Well, I consider it to be chick lit anyway...

I may try again. It might have just been that I had other books on my mind at the time and I was a bit distracted.

I was going through my bookshelves the other night looking for books to donate, and I found a few Madeleine Wickham books. That's her pen name -- she's really Sophie Kinsella. I realized that I haven't liked Wickham's books but I love Kinsella's. How weird is that? It's the same person and it's the same genre.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1391029192|3603619 said:
I was going through my bookshelves the other night looking for books to donate, and I found a few Madeleine Wickham books. That's her pen name -- she's really Sophie Kinsella. I realized that I haven't liked Wickham's books but I love Kinsella's. How weird is that? It's the same person and it's the same genre.

I get seriously annoyed with Sophie Kinsella's "shopahollic" books - although I have read them all :wink2: - but I really liked some of the books she wrote outside of that series. Will have to try a Madeleine Wickham or two.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aviastar|1391028756|3603615 said:
So glad to find other Book Thief fans! Do you feel that even with an anthropomorphised Death the book can be classified as strictly historical fiction? I agree with you about it not being fantasy, but I don't know how to best classify it. I don't think it really fits into any genre, and I'm just curious what others think! .

You are absolutely right about this aviastar. I'm not sure where I would put the Book Thief either.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1391029705|3603627 said:
Zoe|1391029192|3603619 said:

I get seriously annoyed with Sophie Kinsella's "shopahollic" books - although I have read them all :wink2: - but I really liked some of the books she wrote outside of that series. Will have to try a Madeleine Wickham or two.

They're pretty formulaic (her characters are always somewhat ditzy and/or socially awkward, quirky girls), but I find them funny anyway.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1391028440|3603612 said:
Thanks for the recommendation, VR. I think Gypsy reads cozies too, and every time I see a post about them, I think I should pick up a few. I've never read cozies and although I like mysteries, I tend to gloss over the violent parts. Cozies might be right up my alley.

Try Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews (first in the series). The series has it's ups and downs but the first books was and is one of my favorite cozies ever.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and although I like mysteries, I tend to gloss over the violent parts. Cozies might be right up my alley.

Zoe...did we already discuss the Judge Deborah Knott books by Margaret Maron? If you like mysteries that are "cozy" and you haven't read those, you should. They are full of story besides they mystery, although there is always a mystery, and very atmospheric.

AGBF
:wavey:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1391078761|3604065 said:
...and although I like mysteries, I tend to gloss over the violent parts. Cozies might be right up my alley.

Zoe...did we already discuss the Judge Deborah Knott books by Margaret Maron? If you like mysteries that are "cozy" and you haven't read those, you should. They are full of story besides they mystery, although there is always a mystery, and very atmospheric.

AGBF
:wavey:

Hmmm, I'm not sure if we've talked about that series. Thanks for the recommendation Deb!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone read Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers? I finished reading this book just before Christmas and I'm still thinking about it.

It's about 2 soldiers who are sent to fight in the war in Iraq. They're just kids really and they find themselves in the terrifying situation of trying to survive the horror of war in an alien landscape. But this is not any old book about war, it's so beautifully written it somehow rises above all the horror and almost miraculously the writer manages to transform something ugly into an amazing, beautiful story.

Precious Bane by Mary Webb.
This is one of my all time favourite books and I reread it every once in a while. If I could recommend only one book this would be it. It is a 'forgotten classic' which won the Prix Femina in 1925 and when it was published in 1924, many successful writers of the time considered it to be a masterpiece and Mary Webb a literary genius

The story is set in the early 1800s at the time of Waterloo, although those events don't come into the story, in rural Shropshire steeped in peasant custom, folk lore and superstition. The central character and narrator is Prue Sarn whose 'precious bane' is her hare-lip.

'Here's a queer outlandish creature!
Her's a witch, an ugly hare-shotten witch'

It was believed the devil, in disguise as a hare, crossed her pregnant mother's path giving her such a fright that the baby (Prue) was born with the 'hare-shotten" lip. The BBC made this into aTV miniseries in the 80's but the series failed to capture any of the magic and mysticism that the book's text conveys. Can you tell I'm passionate about it?

A little more:

'It was a wonderful thing to see our meadows at Sarn when the cowslip was in blow. Gold-over they were, so that you would think not even an angels feet were good enough to walk there..'

'To conjure, even for a moment, the wistfulness which is the past is like trying to gather in one's arms the hyacinthine colour of the distance...'

Stanley Baldwin, the Prime Minister at the time, wrote this about Mary Webb:
'This mingling of peoples and traditions and turns of speech and proverbial wisdom is what Mary Webb saw with the eye of the mind as she stood at her stall in Shrewsbury market, fastened in her memory, and fashioned for us in the little parcel of novels which is her legacy to literature'

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks Klewis, Iwill try to read the Precious Bane.

I have wanted to post a few book titles myself. Only, I couldn't remember them. I love first novels of good writers. Of course we don't, while reading the first novel, know if they will be better or worse in the future but I love the hope of it all.

I have become very fussy about what I read. I love the mystery genre, detective adventures and good first novels. I, like Deb read for lighter pleasure, My heavy reading is in the past. But, I am of the age where people send me books for Christmas and birthdays, and often they just sit. I have a nice pile. The cold weather sent me to bed to keep warm and I brought along one of those neglected books I wasn't sure I wanted to read. Thus, I embarked to the Congo, learning about a history that I never knew, and enjoying the journey. The book is the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover. I was most dissapointed with how she deals with the ending of the book, but i have found that other books have the same faults, to me. But, I couldn't believe my good fortune in that I read the Afterword and found that one of her books, her first, is one of my long lost titles and authors that I could not remember. So with much ado, I recommend her first novel called "The Bean Tree". It has humor, and is lovely story about the southwest and one womans journey out of poverty. Its a gentle book and never cries poor me. Finding this made me very happy. I feel I discovered her.

So I Recommend-- The Bean Tree-- Barbara Kingslover

The Bluest Eye--Toni Morrison

White Oleander--Janet Fitch

Thanks,

Annette

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
White Oleander was really good. I've looked for other books by Janet Fitch, but it appears she's a one-hit wonder.

I just began The Gap Year by Sarah Bird. I got that and Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah yesterday.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1391361037|3606472 said:
Hi,

Thanks Klewis, Iwill try to read the Precious Bane.

I have wanted to post a few book titles myself. Only, I couldn't remember them. I love first novels of good writers. Of course we don't, while reading the first novel, know if they will be better or worse in the future but I love the hope of it all.

I have become very fussy about what I read. I love the mystery genre, detective adventures and good first novels. I, like Deb read for lighter pleasure, My heavy reading is in the past. But, I am of the age where people send me books for Christmas and birthdays, and often they just sit. I have a nice pile. The cold weather sent me to bed to keep warm and I brought along one of those neglected books I wasn't sure I wanted to read. Thus, I embarked to the Congo, learning about a history that I never knew, and enjoying the journey. The book is the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover. I was most dissapointed with how she deals with the ending of the book, but i have found that other books have the same faults, to me. But, I couldn't believe my good fortune in that I read the Afterword and found that one of her books, her first, is one of my long lost titles and authors that I could not remember. So with much ado, I recommend her first novel called "The Bean Tree". It has humor, and is lovely story about the southwest and one womans journey out of poverty. Its a gentle book and never cries poor me. Finding this made me very happy. I feel I discovered her.

The Bluest Eye--Toni Morrison

White Oleander--Janet Fitch

Thanks,

Annette

On my first reading of your post I thought you had actually travelled to the Congo and had taken the Poisonwood Bible to read. :o I was impressed.

I've seen a non-fiction book of her's about - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. It looks like a self sufficiency experiment and Time magazine thought it one of the 10 best non-fiction books of the year.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1391361037|3606472 said:

The Bean Trees is my favorite Kingsolver book, too, Annette. It is the first one I read and it was a revelation. I remember the young protagonist wandering into the New Mexico town and being greeted by a sign that seemed to read, "Jesus Loves Tires".

Deb/AGBF
:read:

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
:shock: does... does no one here read romances? I love deep books, but I find that after work, I like a bit of mindless I-know-the-ending storytelling. there's something about the way they elicit emotion!

and I would have thought for a forum filled with women, it might be popular

period romances are my favorite (modern ones are pretty slap on the bum):
stephanie laurens (her old books are best)
julie garwood
susan johnson/cc gibbs
lisa kleypas.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonyachancs|1391474807|3607364 said:
:shock: does... does no one here read romances? I love deep books, but I find that after work, I like a bit of mindless I-know-the-ending storytelling. there's something about the way they elicit emotion!

and I would have thought for a forum filled with women, it might be popular

period romances are my favorite (modern ones are pretty slap on the bum):
stephanie laurens (her old books are best)
julie garwood
susan johnson/cc gibbs
lisa kleypas.

I read them for years. Still do read my favorite authors. I'm much more into PNR now though, and the crossover to Urban Fantasy.

But Devil's Bride (Laurens), Saving Grace (Garwood), Pure Sin (Johnson), and Dreaming of You (Kleypas) are all time favorites of mine.

You probably have read most if not all of these, but if you haven't, I recommend them:

Loretta Chase: Lord of Scoundrel's (other work as well, but this is my favorite)

Mary Jo Putney: Fallen Angel's series and Silk Trilogy

Julia Quinn: Bridgerton Series

Susan Wiggs: Lord of the Night

If you like mysteries at all, the historical Royal Spyness Series by Rhys Bowen is fantastic as well.

I read quite a bit of contemporary romance as well. So if you want any recommendations let me know.

ETA:

Out of Print, but highly recommend if you can find them (I have them, but don't part with my copies):

Rosalind Laker: To Dance with Kings
Celeste De Blasis: Swan Trilogy: Wild Swan, Swan's Chance, Season of Swans

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sonyachancs, if you haven't read Nora Robert's books, you might want to check out a few. I don't mind reading books with romance in it, but I wouldn't say I read romance novels, if that makes sense. I did just read the first book in Nora Robert's The Bride Quartet series though. The series is about a group of 4 young women who run an all-inclusive wedding planning business. I think each of the 4 books is told from the point of view of one of the girls. The first one is about the photographer, and the second one is about the florist. They're not historical, they take place in the modern day.

JenPaulson

Rough_Rock
If you're into Historical Romance, give Courtney Milan a try. Or try Paulo Coelho's.
My favorite book of all time though is the Count Of Monte Cristo abridged edition. It's so worth it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1391507491|3607577 said:
Sonyachancs, if you haven't read Nora Robert's books, you might want to check out a few. I don't mind reading books with romance in it, but I wouldn't say I read romance novels, if that makes sense. I did just read the first book in Nora Robert's The Bride Quartet series though. The series is about a group of 4 young women who run an all-inclusive wedding planning business. I think each of the 4 books is told from the point of view of one of the girls. The first one is about the photographer, and the second one is about the florist. They're not historical, they take place in the modern day.

I second the suggestion of Nora Roberts for contemporaries.

She has a lot of great trilogies. I've read everything she puts out (I was addicted for a while). She very prolific.

My favorites are the Chesapeke Bay Saga (4 books for this one) and the Born in -- Born in Fire, Born in Ice, Born in Shame, and the Dream Trilogy: Daring to Dream, Holding the Dream, Finding the Dream.

Here's a list of her Trilogies: http://www.noraroberts.com/books/trilogies.php

DO NOT get her recent work. Most of it is regurgitated and not very good. Her older stuff is much better.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1391492793|3607545 said:
I'm much more into PNR now though, and the crossover to Urban Fantasy.

Yup we were meant for each other.

Read the Fourth Realm Trilogy by Johnathan Twelve Hawks (The Traveller, The Dark River, and the Golden City). Very Very Very Good. I've heard it described as cinematic, and I can't think of a better description.

Anyone here read Murakami? Im on the third book in 19Q4 and it is really good. I also read After Dark and its a beautifully written book.

Speaking of beautifully written books, Onitsha by J. M. G. Le Clézio is very poetic. About a boy from europe that travels of Africa as a child in colonial times. Not my usual cup of tea but I loved it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1391541743|3607779 said:

Read the Fourth Realm Trilogy by Johnathan Twelve Hawks (The Traveller, The Dark River, and the Golden City). Very Very Very Good. I've heard it described as cinematic, and I can't think of a better description.

:bigsmile:
I'll check these out.

If you haven't read it and want an awesome PNR (set in Fantasy setting-- but definitely PNR) check out Master of Crows by Grace Darven 2.99 and GREAT (not for 2.99, for any price, I don't review based on price, only quality).

I've been exploring some steampunk as well. Found some good stuff. Don't adore it, but the characters are interesting and there is quirkiness that appeals to me so I think I'll keep reading some of it.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy said:
But Devil's Bride (Laurens), Saving Grace (Garwood), Pure Sin (Johnson), and Dreaming of You (Kleypas) are all time favorites of mine.

these, precisely! devil's bride I come back to every couple of months - there's just something about it that enthralls me. and how did I forget julia quinn!

Zoe said:

@Zoe and @Gypsy, I used to read Nora Roberts. she is crazy prolific - and I have bookshelves to prove it. I had EVERY SINGLE ONE of her books until 2009, at which time I feel out of love with her writing. towards the end it was her J.D Robb series that had me most interested, but in the end even that lost me. I have a feeling it's also because all her books are modern, and that's not always a style that interests me (not in chick lit).

JenPaulson said:
If you're into Historical Romance, give Courtney Milan a try. Or try Paulo Coelho's.
My favorite book of all time though is the Count Of Monte Cristo abridged edition. It's so worth it!

@Jen, I can't seem to hook onto Courtney Milan, which sucks because I know how many love it, and I would dearly love a new writer!

I am going to give mary jo putney a good try..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonyachancs|1391561431|3608008 said:
I am going to give mary jo putney a good try..

You are going to love her.

I'd start with Thunder and Roses. The whole Fallen Angel series is really great.

In order:

Thunder and Roses
Petals in the Storm
Dancing on the Wind
Shattered Rainbows
River of Fire
One Perfect Rose

(I'm not a fan of Courtney Milan either, FWIW)

But... if you haven't read it yet. Trust me and read "Lord of the Scoundrels" by Loretta Chase first. You won't regret it.

BrittanyLovgonski

Rough_Rock
Just finished reading Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy

It's surreal but NOw I understand why others are so in love with Christian Grey.

yay... it's a 6/10 for me..

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1391547918|3607822 said:
blackprophet|1391541743|3607779 said:

:bigsmile:
I'll check these out.

If you haven't read it and want an awesome PNR (set in Fantasy setting-- but definitely PNR) check out Master of Crows by Grace Darven 2.99 and GREAT (not for 2.99, for any price, I don't review based on price, only quality).

I've been exploring some steampunk as well. Found some good stuff. Don't adore it, but the characters are interesting and there is quirkiness that appeals to me so I think I'll keep reading some of it.

Just be warned, The Fourth Realm Trilogy is Urban Fantasy not PNR. I'm a UF guy.

THe only Steampunk Novel I've read was The Difference Engine by Willam Gibson. I didn't really like it.

I'm more of a Cyberpunk person. Charles Stross is my second favourite author. I love all of his books. "Wireless" as compilation of his short stories and would be a good into to him. But I would warn that they are very technical, so If that turns you off, dont even atempt him.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrittanyLovgonski|1391694175|3609184 said:

It's surreal but NOw I understand why others are so in love with Christian Grey.

I heard this series was horribly written, which is why I never started reading them. If you don't mind, tell me what you liked about the books please.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1391700548|3609221 said:
Just be warned, The Fourth Realm Trilogy is Urban Fantasy not PNR. I'm a UF guy.

THe only Steampunk Novel I've read was The Difference Engine by Willam Gibson. I didn't really like it.

I'm more of a Cyberpunk person. Charles Stross is my second favourite author. I love all of his books. "Wireless" as compilation of his short stories and would be a good into to him. But I would warn that they are very technical, so If that turns you off, dont even atempt him.

I'm a UF person myself! No worries. I'll pick it up at the end of the month when I have time for something a little more meaty. I liked what I read of it on Amazon.

I'm not into Cyberpunk, the technical gets too much for me.

My favorite authors are... hmm. Terry Pratchett (poor guy), definitely. By a mile in any direction. Then Ilona Andrews (although I only gave the last Kate book 3 stars, the lowest rating I've given them). I once would have added Butcher, but... he's slipping. Oh, I like everything Michael Sullivan has put out. And Brent Weeks. So they are up there too.

Other than that, my favorites depend by genre and how I am feeling.

I was just looking for cheap and easy reads yesterday and started this: http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Vampire-Johnny-B-Truant-ebook/dp/B009KP93F4 I'm not a huge vampire fan, but it's funny. Has editing issues. But... fits my mood this week.

My big thing is humor. I like humor in my UF, PNR, Romance, Mystery... you name it. If it's got solid writing, smart characters, good world building, characterizations and plot. I want all that. But HUMOR is what really gets me interested and keeps me there. Hence, Pratchett.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
BrittanyLovgonski|1391694175|3609184 said:

Lol.

Did you know it was based on fan fiction from a fan of twilight?

The author and many other fan fic authors felt twilight was too PG and she wrote this story. People encouraged her to publish an e book and she did and now has three published books!!

I kept noticing parallels, like the piano playing and the protagonist being so full of self doubt and liking literature that I asked someone why are all the books these days making the love interest play the piano and be well read? And then I found out he literally IS Edward Cullen just not a vampire!! I don't read as much as I should and notice when I do read they tend to be trilogies. Maybe popular books become trilogies?

Anyhow, I read The Hunger Games, and now to reclaim some credibility, have read another trilogy about a dystopian future, Wool.

I personally preferred the Hunger Games, but I found Wool, Shift and Dust an interesting idea. I wonder if they make a movie about it, I find a lot of books I read become movies. I must read easily understood stories.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm bumping this thread back up because I'm about half way through Divergent and the movie is coming out in three weeks...

Divergent is for sure a page turner and very easy reading. It's good in that it's a fast read and entertaining, but I'm finding it sounds a bit juvenile. There are some other kids' books that have been that way, as well, but they were clearly written for elementary kids (like the Gregor series by Suzanne Collins). I didn't check the age level for Divergent, but it lacks a bit of literary depth that other young adult books manage to keep while still providing a writing style & theme more appropriate to teens. I'm obviously not a writer (lol!), so I probably shouldn't be analyzing the book, but I still like to do so! I think part of the problem is I just finished two REALLY interesting multi-generational historical-fiction books by Lisa See and I probably shouldn't have jumped from those into a kids' fantasy book series.

Anyway, one thing that's been a bit interesting is the last couple of nights I've been staying up till 11:30 or so reading and keep having dreams based on Divergent. That is kinda fun! :))

I'll report back after I finish the book. ETA - Can't wait for the movie, though...Divergent was listed as a must-read book before the movie.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Right now I am loving The Hare With Amber Eyes.
Really loving it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results