shape
carat
color
clarity

User tips for DiamCalc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I often get questions about using DiamCalc - it seems like a good idea to answer them all here.
So ask away - give screen shots if you like to help me understand the issues.

On the top tool bar of DiamCalc there is a manual under “Help”

Storm asked me: "I'd like to be able to show just the blue return with white light in while using the ray tracing mode".
Storm you proably found this - there is only blue entering the stone - but i do not think that changes the result, since it is only the blue component or white light that will end up being blue.

DiamCalc Blue rays.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Garry.

Here is what I wanted to do.
A while back Marty stated that diamonds with top optical symmetry produced more pure tone in the fire they return.

What I wanted to do was take 2 virtual diamonds one with good symmetry one without and see what DC said about it.
It would have more to do with the diamond bending that wavelength of light in a more consistent way with white light in and separating it from the others more on the return.
Using blue light in doesn''t show that I think.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
strm...maybe the multi-ray trace view shows that?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
stone #1

symm1.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ray trace shows colors combined close together (pure?)

symm2.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
stone #2

nonsymm1.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
colors are more separated and defined (less pure?)

nonsymm2.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tried that belle its a good idea but it wasnt clear enough to make the call.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i figured that you had probably tried it already
2.gif

i thought the results were interesting none the less...

now i better get back on topic and think of a question for garry, or he''s gonna get
29.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 12:07:50 AM
Author: belle
oh i figured that you had probably tried it already
2.gif

i thought the results were interesting none the less...

now i better get back on topic and think of a question for garry, or he''s gonna get
29.gif

Its kewl :}
Its nice to know that im not the only consumer thats crazy enough to want to do this kind of stuff :}

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
who you callin'' crazy?
37.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 12:16:40 AM
Author: belle
who you callin'' crazy?
37.gif
hehehehehehe myself and
YOU!

storm runs and hides!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm DiamCalc photo realistic images are not good enough and do not work quite the riight way.
Ray tracing is not quanitfyable.
You can use the old MSU website thingy if it will still work for you http://www.cutstudy.com/cut/english/comp/scint1.htm
(I used this to get a guide for HCA, but again only Sergey and Yuri had the #''s from it.

But Sergey''s ETAS, which is so complex that no-one has bothered to understand it contains all the answers and we will have commercial nbut limited versions of this software available for general consumption in the not too distant futuure.
Abyone who has the IDCC proceedings ($20 from Ideal-scope) can read about it there.

These 2 stones have similar proportions but remarkably different Fire.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is to answer a question on the GIA thread for:
Marty Haske:
"Storm.. I''m sorry, but DiamondCalc is a NON absorbing ray trace model, and ANY use of uniquely colored light, like what you did, will give you possibly misleading results regarding contrast.
Check out under gem materials where you can select absorption.
Marty do you actually have Diamcalc?
Yes Gary, I have a licensed copy that I bought years ago on another laptop..
And I don''t under estimate Sergey, he is one of the few who knows what he is doing..

Why don''t you present some absorbing diamond renderings, since you play with it all the time and I don''t. And show the difference with an non absorbing rendering along with the differing metrics."

Marty Haske GG(GIA), NGJA, ASG, ISA Appraisal Trained(past ISA), BS(MIT)/MS(MIT)
Adamas Gemological Laboratory

Under the top Tab GEM MATERIALS, select the lower second option "View / Modify Proprerties".
There are only 2 Tabs at the top - but with the option to ADD for absorption, the third one shown here pops up.
Along with the refraction details clever cutters use this software to take the measured absorption spectra for any gem, including colored diamonds, and reduce the H&A''s type extinction and improve the number of bounces, while not getting too much leakage.

AbsorptionDC.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2005 5:22:59 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Date: 8/14/2005 4:06:20 AM

Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Here are the 2 ETAS''s

Remeber the small central area would be obstructed by observers head

Garry, you know I''m an ETAS fiend. Putting those out there is torture. Plug-in? Who do I have to mug?

What he said!
Is there any better aset plugin available.
Iv got the aset.dmc but not sure how old it is.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This tutorial of 3 screen shots will show you how to import a stone from a Sarin or Helium Scan or a GemCad file.
You will then learn how to "recut" the stone in DiamCalc.

1. top tool bar Cut > Import Cut > and select the file type.
2. when you have opened your stone you will see the Advanced tab in the lower middle right. I have left it in the very corner of most of these screen shots.
3. It opens a whole new window that shows a wire frame with one facet highlighted depending on the one you selected from the upper left window.

Advanced Editor.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have had some questions about the Download vs the HASP key version.

I do not recomend the download version unless you are a 12 year old Japanese boy or computer geek.
Every time you update your computer life becomes hell, the downloads are complex (4 me) and overall the security code #''s etc are a hassle well worth paying $40 extra plus P+H to solve.
The download is put on one computer.

The HASP version comes in the mail on a CD which you can load on any and all computers or lap tops, home and office etc.
It seems to be much easier to update to new versions of the software, which have all bar 1X been free - but as many of you with the download version know - you never were able to do the download updates - so you have an old version.

A hasp key is about 1 inch long and fits into the computer you are using''s USB port.
If you have a desk top under the desk (oxy moron) then you should do this:
Get a multi USB hub thingy http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Hubs.html like those ones (not a recomendation for that site)
You put this on your desk or the floor and every time you want to take pictures off your camera etc - you do not need to crawl around with the cock roaches. Just stick them all in.

The hasp version is the only one I sell on ideal-scope because we got sick of helping people like me.

adamasgem

Brilliant_Rock
Gary.. do you know what licence file I need to transfer from my old laptop to make the download version work on my new system?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can GemCad files be imported in the DiamCalc?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen more than once the steps for modeling a diamond, based on seeing the IS; can you replay that, as I can''t find them readily again?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results