Trade Participation on Pricescope

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Karl_K said:
Todd Gray said:
Karl_K said:
Yes that pool did indeed come from trade members over the years but they are not the keepers of the keys.

Certainly they are not the keeper of the keys, but I'd venture to say that the forum is better off for having both prosumers and trade members present as a contributory resource.
agree

The Pricescope community wins best when everyone is involved.

We have one of the best diamond and jewelry communtities out there. It is because we have a good symbiotic relationship between helpful trade members and wonderful consumers, who are all here for the love of diamonds. The goal is to continue evolving Pricescope to make it even better.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Andrey,

Obviously a great topic so here's my experiance.

I joined PS mainly for the colored stone end of things. As a cutter for the last 30+ years I felt that I might be able to bring something to the forum and yes, I do sell cut stones and rough. One of the PS members posted a thread asking for opinions on four cut stones and provided photos of each one, from a vendor that I knew nothing of. I responded, giving my opinion on the cut, color and clarity of each one based on the photo's posted. I don't believe prices ever came up but either way I didn't mention them in my post. Nor did I try and post anything that could be considered self promotion. Just a " Just-the-facts-ma'am" reply. The next day I got an email saying that my post had been removed and that my opinion, as a member of the trade, was not allowed. Further I had to acknowledge my sin and take time to write back that I acknowledge my sin and it would never happen again. So be it. I sent the email back and have never posted anything that might be construed as an opinion. I still go though PS posts to see what's happening here from time to time but as far as participation, it's your forum and you get to set the rules. I agree that it shouldn't be a free for all here but there is a big difference between an informed opinion and self promoting hype.

Pete

bricklayer

Rough_Rock
I just joined the forum officially today after lurking for a very long time. I didn't want to tread too far into this thread, however an hour after starting it I feel compelled to say something. I think denverappraiser made the most amazing points in the very first page. It didn't take me long as a newbie to pick up on the insane bias around here. I have purchased from an online shop that is an actual shop, good old gold, and I know that Jonathan posts on here a lot. I value his posts, and it's a big part of why I bought from them in the first place, besides how truly giddy he is about what he does and all the cool equipment he has.

But in order for this place to not look like a gigantic commercial for it's advertisers, I think the tradespeople have got to be able to share what they know. I don't care if I see a photo with their watermarked image in a thread, I don't read that as advertising. I read that as protecting themselves from someone stealing their photo to sell some cruddy diamond ring on ebay and using their pic to do it. I want any and all information that I can get from anyone in this field, and I love that they can "bicker" their sides and have it be educational.

The last thing I want to see on here is someone overstepping their boundaries as a tradesperson and trying to sell to a member, but they need to be able to comment on the threads where people are looking for a real opinion and use their education to explain to the person why their choice is good or bad. It doesn't mean they are trying to steal the business, they usually are not. But they can give constructive advice to someone who is not really adept to knowing about why a stone isn't a great choice. And they give real-world advice, moreso than the average "joe-blow prosumer" who doesn't work with diamonds and jewelry every day of their lives.

Another thing that bothers me about this site, and I need to mention this, is the so-called "expert advice" of the "prosumer" crowd that is NOT educated by the GIA or any other gemology program. And the way that only a hearts and arrows cut round from one of the specific advertising vendors is the only kind to buy. I don't particularly love a "basic" cut like that. While it's pretty, I like modified stones more...solasfera, star 129, leo, cushions, octavias, crisscuts, tycoon cuts...I like the extra movement in the stones. And it seems that when someone is inquiring about those, they are almost always met with a "go here to XXXX.com and get THIS stone instead". That is not constructive. I want exact reasoning why my choice wasn't good, and then if I want more ideas as to what would be better, I would rather ask that myself than be borraged with links. I get that people are trying to help, but I want professionals to help me also, not just consumers.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ruffysdad said:
Hi Andrey,

I joined PS mainly for the colored stone end of things. As a cutter for the last 30+ years I felt that I might be able to bring something to the forum and yes, I do sell cut stones and rough. One of the PS members posted a thread asking for opinions on four cut stones and provided photos of each one, from a vendor that I knew nothing of. I responded, giving my opinion on the cut, color and clarity of each one based on the photo's posted. I don't believe prices ever came up but either way I didn't mention them in my post. Nor did I try and post anything that could be considered self promotion. Just a " Just-the-facts-ma'am" reply. The next day I got an email saying that my post had been removed and that my opinion, as a member of the trade, was not allowed. Further I had to acknowledge my sin and take time to write back that I acknowledge my sin and it would never happen again. So be it. I sent the email back and have never posted anything that might be construed as an opinion. I still go though PS posts to see what's happening here from time to time but as far as participation, it's your forum and you get to set the rules. I agree that it shouldn't be a free for all here but there is a big difference between an informed opinion and self promoting hype.

Pete

Hi Pete,
I am disappointed to hear your story as I know you to be a straight shooter and an honest guy. What a shame. Best regards, Lee

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some one asked for a summary on PM's Please feel free to add to the list:

Pro - All PM's can be read by moderators Con - Pricescope is not a multi million dollar business and can not afford to read every PM (and really it is a bit Stasi like).

Not give PM's to trade members - Pro - stops pushy vendors Con- may inhibit trade experts politely educating away consumer to consumer advice errors

PM's could be only for posters after 1 or 2 hundred posts

PM service must be requested

Like many others I am 50:50

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
risingsun said:
I guess that we are posting about PM's in this thread because of the potential for abuse by trades people and others soliciting business. I belong to several very large forums, larger than PS. All of them have PM's. These forums have high ticket items, so there is potential for shilling and other abuses. The rules are simple. No buying and selling via emails. If such transactions are discovered, you are banned from the site. I was approached by another poster and I responded by reminding her of the rules. I never heard from her again. We also have a report PM function for our PM's, if needed. We have something called the Market Place. This is a forum where you can buy and sell goods. There are requirements to belong to the MP and you have to apply to be considered. I'm not suggesting this for PS, but it does work on other forums. There are things I would like to say to other posters, with whom I have become close. I don't want to do it on the boards, if it is of a personal nature. My experience with PM's has been extremely positive. I will continue to advocate for PM's. I think it enhances forums, such as these, and it keeps the members on PS instead of other sites.

It is possible only a few appraisers know but the previous management considered this maybe 5 years back.
It might be considered negatively by sponsoring vendors who feel they are missing sales.
It might start quasi e-Bay type consumers who border on being tradespeople (some of you ladies own more inventory than some stores! :appl: )
At the time we felt it would need some form of independant appraisal from Pricescope sponsor/participating appraisers. Otherwise we could all end up in a mess.
We felt there needed to be a fee or commision because the only way Pscope exists is from vendor revenue.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
risingsun said:
I guess that we are posting about PM's in this thread because of the potential for abuse by trades people and others soliciting business. I belong to several very large forums, larger than PS. All of them have PM's. These forums have high ticket items, so there is potential for shilling and other abuses. The rules are simple. No buying and selling via emails. If such transactions are discovered, you are banned from the site. I was approached by another poster and I responded by reminding her of the rules. I never heard from her again. We also have a report PM function for our PM's, if needed. We have something called the Market Place. This is a forum where you can buy and sell goods. There are requirements to belong to the MP and you have to apply to be considered. I'm not suggesting this for PS, but it does work on other forums. There are things I would like to say to other posters, with whom I have become close. I don't want to do it on the boards, if it is of a personal nature. My experience with PM's has been extremely positive. I will continue to advocate for PM's. I think it enhances forums, such as these, and it keeps the members on PS instead of other sites.

It is possible only a few appraisers know but the previous management considered this maybe 5 years back.
It might be considered negatively by sponsoring vendors who feel they are missing sales.
It might start quasi e-Bay type consumers who border on being tradespeople (some of you ladies own more inventory than some stores! :appl: )
At the time we felt it would need some form of independant appraisal from Pricescope sponsor/participating appraisers. Otherwise we could all end up in a mess.
We felt there needed to be a fee or commision because the only way Pscope exists is from vendor revenue.

That's why I said that a marketplace would probably not be a good idea for PS. I still think that PM's, among non trades people, would be helpful to this site for the other reasons I have stated.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still feel that there should be one rule for all. In the forum policy it clearly states that we can't use PS to arrange vendor get togethers.

Do not use this forum to organize group meetings with any vendor or start vendors' "fan clubs" or the like.

Yet there is a thread in hangout clearly discussing the big Whiteflash dinner that happened this past week. People asking if invitations have been received etc. I don't have anything against Whiteflash but they do seem to get away with bending the rules. Do they have shares in Pricescope? It recently came to light that another member has shares so I don't think its unreasonable to ask if they do too.

I am editing to add that I realise that Whiteflash didn't start the thread in hangout but I still say that the rules have been bent for them before. All vendors should be treated equally on PS.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will echo the sentiment that I would like to see tradespeople given more leeway with what they are allowed to write, opinion or not - inventory or not. There is simply no substitute for experience, and an educational forum should be open to taking advantage of all the knowledge that tradesmembers are willing to share..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got word today that Karl is in the ICU for asthma and pneumonia. I have a thread in hangout, but wanted to post this here... Not everyone reads hangout.. Updates will be in hangout. Please keep Karl in your prayers....
:halo:

Many thanks,

Lisa

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:

Pro - All PM's can be read by moderators Con - Pricescope is not a multi million dollar business and can not afford to read every PM (and really it is a bit Stasi like).

Not give PM's to trade members - Pro - stops pushy vendors Con- may inhibit trade experts politely educating away consumer to consumer advice errors

PM's could be only for posters after 1 or 2 hundred posts

PM service must be requested

It wasn't me that asked for a summary of PMs ;)) :)) :bigsmile: (really!) but I am happy to see the pros/cons list. Thank you, Garry! :appl:

I personally see no problem with mods being able to read PMs if they need/want/choose to. But if that ends up being the decision, my humble 2 cents is, please "call a spade a spade" and call them "DMs" (Direct Messages). Then there's no illusion of total "privacy" and it could be enough to keep the kids playing nice in the sandbox (which has been a worry of some)! ;-)

One important question, though, please. Would members be allowed to share their e-mail address or other identifying information in a PM/DM with someone they would like to get to know better? Because if this would still be "against the rules", then I need to borrow TGal's avatar!!!

Which brings me back to my main question... is Admin considering allowing ID'ing info (of the member's discretion) in our posts and/or profiles? Or are PMs/DMs the only way this is considering being addressed?

And lastly, as far as vendors being allowed to PM/DM... I have no strong opinion, I was simply bringing up options for those that did have concerns. Although, my ever-humble :halo: opinion here is, if a poster is given misinformation by another poster, I'd like to see that clarified by a tradesperson who knows better on the forum, rather than behind the scenes in a PM/DM, so we ALL know what's correct. That's part of a good learning environment, IMHO.

OH, that reminds me of John P's question a few pages back when he asked how consumers feel about possibly being corrected by a tradesperson on the forum. I know I can only speak for myself here, but honestly, the truth is, I WANT to have -- and pass along -- factual information, so it's all good! Really. No problem, mon!!!! :bigsmile:

Oh, one more important thing...
Thank you Andrey and Garry, and any others, for your open-mindedness and willingness to listen and allow this frank and honest discussion to continue. Everyone who has posted here ultimately has the same goal: to see PS grow and thrive. As administrators, I am sure that change can be very difficult... but it is my firm belief that you will always gain and hold on to valuable members (trade and consumer alike) far more successfully with an open hand than a tightly clenched fist.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Lynn B said:
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:

Pro - All PM's can be read by moderators Con - Pricescope is not a multi million dollar business and can not afford to read every PM (and really it is a bit Stasi like). Why is this necessary? Private means private. If someone is disturbed by a PM, they can report it to admin. Treat posters as adults.

Not give PM's to trade members - Pro - stops pushy vendors Con- may inhibit trade experts politely educating away consumer to consumer advice errors Pros can correct or educate on the open forums. Not necessary to be done privately.

PM's could be only for posters after 1 or 2 hundred posts Sounds reasonable.

PM service must be requested If it's by request only, there shouldn't be any complaints.

It wasn't me that asked for a summary of PMs ;)) :)) :bigsmile: (really!) but I am happy to see the pros/cons list. Thank you, Garry! :appl:

I personally see no problem with mods being able to read PMs if they need/want/choose to. But if that ends up being the decision, my humble 2 cents is, please "call a spade a spade" and call them "DMs" (Direct Messages). Then there's no illusion of total "privacy" and it could be enough to keep the kids playing nice in the sandbox (which has been a worry of some)! ;-)

One important question, though, please. Would members be allowed to share their e-mail address or other identifying information in a PM/DM with someone they would like to get to know better? Because if this would still be "against the rules", then I need to borrow TGal's avatar!!! The group norms have changed. People are already in touch with each other. There is a need to accept it and not try to control it.

Which brings me back to my main question... is Admin considering allowing ID'ing info (of the member's discretion) in our posts and/or profiles? Or are PMs/DMs the only way this is considering being addressed?

And lastly, as far as vendors being allowed to PM/DM... I have no strong opinion, I was simply bringing up options for those that did have concerns. Although, my ever-humble :halo: opinion here is, if a poster is given misinformation by another poster, I'd like to see that clarified by a tradesperson who knows better on the forum, rather than behind the scenes in a PM/DM, so we ALL know what's correct. That's part of a good learning environment, IMHO.

OH, that reminds me of John P's question a few pages back when he asked how consumers feel about possibly being corrected by a tradesperson on the forum. I know I can only speak for myself here, but honestly, the truth is, I WANT to have -- and pass along -- factual information, so it's all good! Really. No problem, mon!!!! :bigsmile: 100% agree.

Oh, one more important thing...
Thank you Andrey and Garry, and any others, for your open-mindedness and willingness to listen and allow this frank and honest discussion to continue. Everyone who has posted here ultimately has the same goal: to see PS grow and thrive. As administrators, I am sure that change can be very difficult... but it is my firm belief that you will always gain and hold on to valuable members (trade and consumer alike) far more successfully with an open hand than a tightly clenched fist.

Absolutely agree.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maisie said:
I still feel that there should be one rule for all. In the forum policy it clearly states that we can't use PS to arrange vendor get togethers.

Do not use this forum to organize group meetings with any vendor or start vendors' "fan clubs" or the like.

Yet there is a thread in hangout clearly discussing the big Whiteflash dinner that happened this past week. People asking if invitations have been received etc. I don't have anything against Whiteflash but they do seem to get away with bending the rules. Do they have shares in Pricescope? It recently came to light that another member has shares so I don't think its unreasonable to ask if they do too.

I am editing to add that I realise that Whiteflash didn't start the thread in hangout but I still say that the rules have been bent for them before. All vendors should be treated equally on PS.

I guess meetings went along with PM's.
I attended a meeting in Chicago a couple years ago with a lovely group of ladies and this was posted. I am not sure about it - but maybe these rules could also be relaxed now in the age of Facebook?
(Andrey and I own Pricescope)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
risingsun said:
Lynn B said:
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:

Pro - All PM's can be read by moderators Con - Pricescope is not a multi million dollar business and can not afford to read every PM (and really it is a bit Stasi like). Why is this necessary? Private means private. If someone is disturbed by a PM, they can report it to admin. Treat posters as adults. Running out of colors Marion!!! I am 99% sure that PM's were able to be read by mod's earlier - and still think they should be because it is one way to catch shills - and that is our major #1 fear on Pricescope; it is the thing most likely to destroy what we have all built. Besides - you do not imagine any of the mod's would have time to read all the gossip - it would be all more freely available on FB anyway :cheeky:

Not give PM's to trade members - Pro - stops pushy vendors Con- may inhibit trade experts politely educating away consumer to consumer advice errors Pros can correct or educate on the open forums. Not necessary to be done privately. The thing is we tradies do not like to embarras those who would be embarrased
[/color]
Absolutely agree.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
Maisie said:

I guess meetings went along with PM's.
I attended a meeting in Chicago a couple years ago with a lovely group of ladies and this was posted. I am not sure about it - but maybe these rules could also be relaxed now in the age of Facebook?
(Andrey and I own Pricescope)

Garry, I wonder now that its out in the open, could you maybe put in your sig that you are part owner of PS? I think its only fair that its common knowledge. Also can you just clarify... are you and Andrey the only owners of PS and that no vendor has a financial interest in the site. Thank you :))

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maisy I am sorry you missed the threads where this was discussed recently.
I own 10%
Andrey owns 90%
The trade members that attend Vegas show have known this for many years.
It is the only logical conclusion given that I never ever try to sell to Pricescope participants and avoid all Australian threads like the palgue.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie said:

That thread in Hangout was my doing Maisie. I and a couple of other ladies were so excited about the dinner, and more so- about meeting for the first time, that I just wanted to know if other WF Pricescopers were as jazzed as we were about getting together. None of the good folks at Whiteflash asked me to start a thread. I did it on my own. You can blame me for that.

While a majority of the participants on Pricescope are those passing through needing help with making a diamond purchase, on their way to getting engaged, it's the sense of community that exists here for the long time posters that also helps Pricescope to continue to exist. And with that sense of community, comes an enthusiasm for actually meeting face to face if possible. That thread was about nothing more than enthusiasm, from one diamond nut to another.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand the sense of community just as much as you do GG. And I am all for sharing of information. My problem is that I have had my wrists slapped for a few different breaches of forum rules and I don't understand why some things are overlooked while others are jumped on.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Garry~I know, I know...I was getting confused about the colors, too, by the time I posted!! I must have been sleepy--or something--to overcomplicate my palette :D Your points are well taken :cheeky:

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Maisie said:
I understand the sense of community just as much as you do GG. And I am all for sharing of information. My problem is that I have had my wrists slapped for a few different breaches of forum rules and I don't understand why some things are overlooked while others are jumped on.

If you have any questions regarding violations, please contact us.

We are happy to help.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T said:
Laila619 said:
I don't think PMs are the solution. When PS 1.0 had no PMs, there was still a TON of traffic. Traffic is way down on PS 2.0 because many people just do not like the new site.

I've followed this thread just to see what resolutions would come of it, and I'm not much into debating or negativism, but I do agree with Laila here, sorry to go slightly off topic. The new format is not as user friendly as before. I used to post more often to help others when they needed help finding pictures or links since I'm not as knowledgeable in a techical sense so I try to help out in other ways. tje New PS 2.0 is more time cosuming now, more regulations about pictures without Logos (If i find a pictures from past threads with logos, I have to copy to my own desktop, remove logos and reupload, with the extra html stuff- oops I copied and placed in the end of the bracket, nevermind, gotta go back and delete, where is my dang cursor...etc and the added extra steps to link to pictures is just that much more longer process for me to help out (where before, I could just do a click, copy drag drop, with logos or not, therefore threads that I would normally open to quickly link or paste a picture, I don't jump so quickly, even logging on, is a chore, once logged on, I'm back to my profile page or main page, and now I have to hunt down the thread that I actually want to comment on, if I'm not already logged on. Search Function needs some serious attention as well, 75% of my search comes up as "no suitable matches found". Sorry maybe this needs to go into the troubleshooting thread :wacko:

Actually to post the image, you can still just paste the link of the original image into the [img ] link here [/img]. Still works the same just that you have to type in the html code now.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
Actually to post the image, you can still just paste the link of the original image into the [img ] link here [/img]. Still works the same just that you have to type in the html code now.
This is neither here nor there, and not the appropriate forum, but this pretty much never works for me. It always says "Incorrect URL!!!"

sad face

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ruffysdad said:
Hi Andrey,

Pete
What Pete said.

My background - I am a full-time information technology guy (operating systems and security such as firewalls and authentication systems). I cut maybe a stone a week on the side. I have been doing communities, mail groups, forums, and bulletin boards for about 20 years.

Nevermind... I had some bullet points. But this forum does not allow me to use the tools of the net to help folks. Hyperlinks, photos, etc., to other material are too discouraged. There are links to other Trade Members materials (and other 3rd parties) that could have resolved questions easily. Not allowed.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
Stone-cold11 said:
This is neither here nor there, and not the appropriate forum, but this pretty much never works for me. It always says "Incorrect URL!!!"

sad face

Hmm... always work for me. Care to give an example?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that I have caught up:

1. I like the changes you have made for trade participation Andrey, back on page 10/11.

2. I do not want PMs. If they are allowed, I would like to be able to turn off the function. If I cannot turn off the function, then I would most likely decrease my participation in PS substantially. I do not like drama and bs and think that PMs will only increase it. Good lord, look at all the drama and hissy fits and complaints that happen now when people must show their "face" as they act immaturely? :rolleyes:

3. I agree with Perry -- fewer rules but stronger enforcement of the few that exist. I like bans of people who are crossing the line and causing arguments and creating drama where none need be. I have not been participating as much in RT of late becuse the fighting and drama is too annoying for me. As someone who has about half of their 14k posts in RT, I think this should mean something to the mods of PS 8) I am sure I am not alone.

4. Start a thread with tips for using the new PS. I actually find it easy to use and the search function works well for me! Better than the last one. So clearly there are some user errors going on...

Steel

Ideal_Rock
PM's
I'm against the reintroduction. Why should we take more traffic off PS? Vendors should wait to be contacted and not offer their services in the mainstream forums and PS'ers have already found other ways to chat amongst themselves. What other purpose would they serve?

Vendor forum
If there is an interest to facilitate direct sales, through direct vendor contact, then perhaps there could be a dedicated sub-forum in which a PS'er posts with the express purpose of having the vendors (perhaps only vendors?) weighing in.

Simulated stones
I'm against a simulated stone sub-forum or changing the rules to allow stimulants to be posted. I know this was also discussed elsewhere. For me, the fact that this is precious stone forum (diamond particularly) makes it something unique. If I can show off my Argos CZ pendant I think it will have lost something, no matter if it is cut spectacularly.

'Personal' Trade posts
I was unsure when I saw the increasing number of vendor staff which took on PS usernames. I stopped myself from saying becoming PS'ers because in my mind they are not PS'ers. They are ambassadors for their company. I wondered why there was a certain propensity for vendors to shove their employees into the forums to talk about this and that nonsense but also then, wearing the same hat, to reply to consumer issues on behalf of the company. I'm still waiting for that reson to become clear. I feel the lines are so blurred when (I'm making this example up) a PS trade member posts about a personal issue that makes him/her look like an idiot and then tries to reply to a shipping or quality issue in the thread below their own.
Are we supposed to be friendly with these representatives under those circumstances?

Publication of consumer issues
A corollary to all that is the issue of publication. Is it ok for that same trades person, in reply to a consumer issue, to publicise the full 'dealings' between customer and vendor. A number of times I have seen this happen in the defence of the vendor and felt it was in poor taste. Let me clarify, if an issue is posted and the vendor replies then I feel that a summation of dealings is sufficient - but only if the customer makes reference to it first. It is excessive for the vendor IMHO to make known every ity bit of information about that transaction - even if the customer was a nutter. I feel the vendor should choose to maintain discretion. Equally, I feel that a guideline might be set for the thread starters so that they know how to 'best' structure complaints: name the vendor, transaction and fault/complaint plus pictures?

+1, ditto, This
I get sick of reading these posts, some of which came in IMVHO to increase post counts on nearing the 10k mark (as it was). I could not move for seeing inane posts from the same people. Similarly should you click into a thread to see the new posts often they would only be +1's to the previous comments. It was like 'the un-official previous poster's fan club'. It would be nice for a poster to actually post their own opinion, something that is not always a smiley face, +1 or this. A very small amount of it seems political to '+1' one PS'er but not the poster above it who is less popular but said the same thing...

Courtesy
This issue was raised before in hangout about RT and it is still true over all of PS. Some of the posters are rude. I don't care how many other PS'ers advertise that they have a thick skin. To ask for advice or an opinion and not thank the posters - even a general thank you is rude. It would be nice to have a little more respect for your fellow posters who have taken their time to respond to your topic.

Drama
There are a lot of members here with their knickers in a twist, here and there about nothing and between the drama queens and the fan clubs many topics begin middle and end the exact same way. You don't even need to click on them to know what is being said. It gets boring.

General traffic
Most of us have had to do a lot of cloth cutting the past year or so, so it is reasonable that traffic is down. No purchases = no posts. Also if you are cutting back perhaps it is less fun to see other purchases.
Well, not for me... I keep a folder for when I'm rich again :devil: .

Love to the mods! (and Garry).

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I was pondering the other day about this thread and I remembered that I'm a member of several other non-jewelry forums as 'non-trade'/'non-vendor' that I read and post to from time to time. It's a pilot's one, and one for reefs and saltwater aquariums. Would you believe that they have no restrictions on vendors posting? *gasp*

They have a section where vendors can post specials and what's for sale.
They have sections where vendors can talk trade.
They have sections where anyone can post for sale/trade.
They have sections where people share ideas, and even brand names of things that work for them.

It has worked so well for me, I've learned tons, and met nice vendors along the way.

Imagine if someone was looking for a stone: "Who can I go to for Melee?" and they got a real answer from vendors who actually carry it instead of "Well most places don't carry it" from someone who just doesn't know or "Don't use so and so" because they have a personal ego involved. Each person rated with feedback, and held accountable for themselves.

I was on the saltwater forum today, and I'm looking for a tank, and look there... I could browse through lots of tanks listed for sale by users and vendors, some used and some brand new. I could ask and have users say what they like. I could ask and have vendors reply to what they had. There's even an option to rate each user and vendor based on feedback. Imagine that, a place where consumers and vendors could share ideas, sell stuff, buy stuff, and chat.... seems so.... modern. In fact, we actually get together from time to time to swap items listed on the sites and tell stories.

Imagine the power of gems distributed in such ways with free and open communication. If you were looking for a stone, which even the 'trade' is at times, you could.... *gasp*... find one here from any vendor they wanted on an unbiased site. That would be pretty swell, if you ask me.

--Joshua

Steel

Ideal_Rock
serenitydiamonds said:
I was pondering the other day about this thread and I remembered that I'm a member of several other non-jewelry forums as 'non-trade'/'non-vendor' that I read and post to from time to time. It's a pilot's one, and one for reefs and saltwater aquariums. Would you believe that they have no restrictions on vendors posting? *gasp*

They have sections where people share ideas, and even brand names of things that work for them.

It has worked so well for me, I've learned tons, and met nice vendors along the way.

Imagine if someone was looking for a stone: "Who can I go to for Melee?" and they got a real answer from vendors who actually carry it instead of "Well most places don't carry it" from someone who just doesn't know or "Don't use so and so" because they have a personal ego involved. Each person rated with feedback, and held accountable for themselves.

I was on the saltwater forum today, and I'm looking for a tank, and look there... I could browse through lots of tanks listed for sale by users and vendors, some used and some brand new. I could ask and have users say what they like. I could ask and have vendors reply to what they had. There's even an option to rate each user and vendor based on feedback. Imagine that, a place where consumers and vendors could share ideas, sell stuff, buy stuff, and chat.... seems so.... modern. In fact, we actually get together from time to time to swap items listed on the sites and tell stories.

Imagine the power of gems distributed in such ways with free and open communication. If you were looking for a stone, which even the 'trade' is at times, you could.... *gasp*... find one here from any vendor they wanted on an unbiased site. That would be pretty swell, if you ask me.

--Joshua

I agree in principle. But your suggestion requires an element of perfect world mentality. In the real world, what would happen when things go wrong? Who is responsible for vetting the sale listings? Do the vendors subsidise the forum and does that give them rights? How far can a customer complain extend - are they allowed at all? Is this site intended to become more a marketplace for the vendors or as it was, a shared consumer/lurker grouping? How could it be both?

ETA: I really am agreeing. I am hunting for an asscher aqua with no luck at all. I try to favourite the list of vendors that come up in CS but then I forget who does what so I have to search for the vendors again. It would be nice to click on a CS vendor section and say who has an aqua asscher. I just don't know if it should be done here.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Steal said:
serenitydiamonds said:

--Joshua

I agree in principle. But your suggestion requires an element of perfect world mentality. In the real world, what would happen when things go wrong? Who is responsible for vetting the sale listings? Do the vendors subsidise the forum and does that give them rights? How far can a customer complain extend - are they allowed at all? Is this site intended to become more a marketplace for the vendors or as it was, a shared consumer/lurker grouping? How could it be both?

ETA: I really am agreeing. I am hunting for an asscher aqua with no luck at all. I try to favourite the list of vendors that come up in CS but then I forget who does what so I have to search for the vendors again. It would be nice to click on a CS vendor section and say who has an aqua asscher. I just don't know if it should be done here.

First rule of buying anything, buyer beware, same amount of risk with buying at a store or anywhere else online. By remaining unbiased Price allows a platform for interaction but no bias, and no liability. Feedback would allow you to easily check who's trusted. Moderators could come up with posting rules etc.

I bought a fish from a guy, because he was well spoken of, and he had a 48 hour 'alive' policy. Buy a diamond from Joe Vendor because they have a policy, some feedback, etc.

I think it should be an open site for everyone, with general discussion areas, for sale/trade areas, vendor areas, and anything else relating to jewelry. There are other jewelry forums where users can post such 'violations', and a lot of vendors post a lot more freely, as do the users. PS is not one of them.

--Joshua

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results