shape
carat
color
clarity

Paperwork needed for selling engagement ring?

lilbugsd

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to sell my engagement ring and diamond wedding band, but the paperwork has been lost over the years. I was wondering whether I should try and obtain copies of the paperwork from where they were purchased years ago (Robbins Bros. and a small private jeweler), or if I should have them appraised. I assume doing both would be unnecessary, but I know very little about jewelry (which is why I feel like I need to educate myself a little bit more about what I have).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Moises_Wahnon_Maman

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry to hear about selling these.
I would get them appraised unless getting a copy of the papers will be easy.
A current appraisal is more reliable anyway, even though it is unlikely your stone was damaged over the years.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An appraisal is very useful for a buyer if it's got all the details about the diamonds etc. Unless you have a good size diamond (s) ie over 6mm diameter a proper GIA report (or similar) will be too expensive against the value of the ring and a generic valuation won't formally specify the diamond details ie they will all be "estimated in setting". However keep in mind that any valuation you get for insurance replacement value or retail replacement value won't be what you can sell it for. Unless it's a fancy maker like Tiffany, the value is pretty much diamond value and gold melt value. A good place to look is eBay, under "sold listings" , for rings similar regarding diamond size and quality to give you an idea of what you might receive in a sale.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results