shape
carat
color
clarity

Zzzzzzzzzzzz....the baby/toddler please oh please SLEEP thread

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like people wanted one of these, so I''ll start one.

Here''s your thread to come and ask for sleep advice, whether you have a newborn, a toddler regressing or whatever. No debates please. Just a safe place to get friendly advice from like-minded moms.

It would help if when you ask for advice to be clear whether you are for or against CIO so folks don''t give advice that you can''t use.

Areas might be co-sleeping advice, crib transitions, regressions, great sleep aids, etc etc.

Feel free to continue to vent/discuss on your respective mommy threads, but this might be a good thread to get advice if all the moms can check in when it comes to the top of the forum.

Hopefully that works for everyone? Happy sleeping!

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, what does CIO mean? My 7 week old wakes up to eat and then falls asleep in her crib, on good nights. On crazy nights she STAYS awake for hours and doesnt want to go back to sleep.
38.gif

Her doc suggested for us not to co-sleep because she will form a bad habit and will remain in our bed til she is 14. LOL...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 12:27:33 AM
Author: mtjoya
Sorry, what does CIO mean? My 7 week old wakes up to eat and then falls asleep in her crib, on good nights. On crazy nights she STAYS awake for hours and doesnt want to go back to sleep.
38.gif

Her doc suggested for us not to co-sleep because she will form a bad habit and will remain in our bed til she is 14. LOL...
Seems like totally normal behaviour for a 7 week old! No need to use a frowny face
2.gif

Lots of people cosleep and have kids out of their bed at varrying times, moms here have talked about as early as 6 months and as late as a couple years old. I sort of think that sleep advice from a doctor is like advice about your marriage or your home renovations from a doctor -- everyone has an opinion! LOL!

ETA CIO means "Cry it out". An oft used method for helping a child learn to self sooth. Lots of PS moms have used that method too with success. We did it at 9 months and it was relatively painless and got us from 2-4 wake ups a night to none in two nights.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Ditto dreamer. We never thought not to co-sleep. I knew I wanted sleep and the easiest way to do that was to co-sleep (bed share). It made breastfeeding much, much easier. We've never used a crib.

Dd1 did not start sleeping 8+ hours until around 8-9 months, after she grew out of her GER. Dd2, that's a whole different story. She had GER also, but it wasn't as bad as with dd1. Dd2 was a very high needs baby. She didn't begin sleeping well until after a year. It seemed like when she hit 14/15 months she completely changed.

Both girls co-slept until 22 months. And with both the transition was a peace of cake. They slept with us when they were sick or they'd come crawling into our bed, but they slept in their own beds without a problem. Since my husband has been deployed dd2 sleeps with me. I keep her between me and the wall and the baby goes between me and the bed rail. He'll likely sleep with us for 2-3 years as well.

Surprisingly, we've never had any issues with sleep after they turned a year. I've only had to recently deal with sleep walking with dd2. She got up one night and peed in the hallway. She was a total zombie. I asked where she was going when she came out of her room and she didn't respond. She was asleep. When I realized what she was about to do I rushed over and asked what she was doing and she freaked out. Poor thing.

At 3 months Henry is a better sleeper than the girls were at that age. He wakes about twice a night. His first stretch is usually between 4-5 hours and then another 4 hour stretch. Not bad. I figure he'll sleep 8+ hours when he's good and ready. 4-5 hours is awesome compared to dd2 waking every 2 hours even at 10 months.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
38.gif

Have you read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (HSHHC)?

The book itself wasn''t for me because I felt like I needed to spend every minute of the day looking for sleep cues.

However, it did teach me about how to pick up on those sleep cues and what being overtired meant.

When DD was a newborn, I missed her sleep cues all the time and she''d end up awake for hours crying and not wanting to sleep. As soon as I read HSHHC, I realized that I had been missing out on all of the cues she was giving me that it was time for sleep.

I don''t remember what the book said were all the cues but from there I picked up on the obvious cues (rubbing eyes, yawning) to cues I didn''t really think about (quiet alert and certain noises she makes).

I suggest getting the book to read over (or googling
3.gif
)

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I thought it may be helpful if for those of you that read some of the most popular books, gave a quick recap of what the book says. That way if a method seems interesting to one of the moms, she can go pick up a copy!.

I have "read" (not cover to cover) like 3 different books. The only one I read BEFORE having the babies was Babywise. I wish someone would have told me to read the sleep books BEFORE the babies arrived!!!. Who has time to spend reading about sleep books once you''re already sleep deprived!?.

Anyway, I know Babywise has a lot of controversy....but I think like with anything, you have to take it with a grain of salt and take what is helpful to you. I actually really liked the book in that it helped me create a schedule for the boys. It took me a long time, because they were so little they were eating like every 1-1.5 hours....but eventually I got them on a 3-hour schedule at around 4 weeks, and they have been on that schedule ever since!. I think that really helped with their night sleeping because I have never really had night owls. Yes, they wake up to eat (still do, once per night like at 4am at 5.5 months), but they wake up to eat and go back down to sleep!. I think I can count the number of nights that they just didn''t want to sleep or stayed awake for hours during the night.

What the book says is to have a (flexible) 3-hour schedule. If the baby is hungry before then, you feed him! (this is where I think there is controversy). The book also talks about helping babies to self soothe (putting them down awake but drowsy, etc). By 5 or 6 weeks, we had established a bedtime routine and they were in bed by 7:30pm or so (which was/is HEAVEN!)

Now if they will only drop those 3 oz they get at 4am, we''d be Golden!!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Great thread!

Jacob turned 13 weeks on Tuesday. Before Jacob''s week in the hospital for his UTI, he had worked out a schedule on his own. Wake up at 8AM and feed, then feed at 12PM, 4PM, 6PM, 8PM(DH would give him a bottle so I could catch a break), 10PM and bed, then 4AM during the night. We figured he would go to bed earlier with a little time and practice. But since we came back from the hospital 1½ weeks ago, I think he''s been a bit shellshocked since the nurses would wake him at all hours of the day and night for tests and whatnot and he no longer has a schedule. He''s a baby and not a machine so I''m okay with it, but putting him to bed has been so difficult! I''m able to put him back to bed while still awake after his night feeding and he babbles for a bit and is asleep within 5 minutes, so I figured that we should be able to do that in the evening too... WRONG. He either settles down for a bit then starts screaming, or starts screaming right off the bat. He''s dead tired, crying with his eyes closed, but it takes hours for him to settle down for the night.

I''m not against CIO, but since he''s still very young at 3 months and we still live in an apartment building until May 1st, I''m not very comfortable with letting him cry longer than 5 minutes. Once we''ve moved he''ll be 4 months old so I guess we''ll be more comfortable with it. Co-sleeping is not an option for us. DH and I are both light sleepers and I can''t stand having someone touch me when I sleep. Sometimes I even consider not co-sleeping with my husband!

I already got some great advice on the newborn to 12 months thread (schedule, same song, ect.) so I guess I''m just looking to vent... Jacob is a great sleeper (usually does two 4-6 hours stretches every night), but we spend the entire evening trying to get him to bed!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 9:40:50 AM
Author: anchor31
. DH and I are both light sleepers and I can''t stand having someone touch me when I sleep. Sometimes I even consider not co-sleeping with my husband!

buaaahahahaha, that''s me!!!...and I do kick DH to the guest room every now and then
2.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to share that i am a big supporter of The Baby Whisperer. I used the EASY routine to get my son to sleep the full 12 hours by 6 mos (he was exclusively BF during this time and night weaning was the hardest thing for us but we did it without CIO)

She is a ''middle of the road approach'' that sat well with me. She def. believes in routine and structure and developing sound sleeping habits from day one, but does not believe in CIO or co-sleeping, so if you subscribe to either of those schools of thought, better to look somewhere else.

Personally, i don''t think there is a "one size fits all" way of dealing with a sleep issues, you have to look at your kid and your parenting philosophy. For example, while i believe Co-sleeping is probably a more natural way of raising a kid, for me, i just couldn''t do it. I lasted 3 nights. I was not comfortable b/c i am not a great sleeper to begin with. So we looked for a compromise which was bassinet attached to bed till 4 mos then crib in next room from that time on. We also started sleep ''training'' at about 7 weeks and i have a wonderful sleeper now.
That''s what worked for us, but it''s different for everyone. And i assume it''s different for every kid, so i am interested to see what #2 will have in store for me!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 1:40:57 AM
Author: dreamer_d

38.gif

Seems like totally normal behaviour for a 7 week old! No need to use a frowny face
2.gif

Lots of people cosleep and have kids out of their bed at varrying times, moms here have talked about as early as 6 months and as late as a couple years old. I sort of think that sleep advice from a doctor is like advice about your marriage or your home renovations from a doctor -- everyone has an opinion! LOL!

ETA CIO means ''Cry it out''. An oft used method for helping a child learn to self sooth. Lots of PS moms have used that method too with success. We did it at 9 months and it was relatively painless and got us from 2-4 wake ups a night to none in two nights.

Ditto DD. Take your doctor''s advices on parenting with a grain of salt. They have no training in parenting, and not every baby is a textbook baby. Just follow your instinct and do what''s best for your baby and family.

My 8 weeks old does the same thing. Totally normal. They are still trying to get used to the world.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
38.gif

I''m really sensitive to sleep deprivation. The first few weeks my son was home, I was hallucinating because he woke up every hour and I tried to BF him sitting up. Well, we did end up co-sleeping because that''s what saved me from loosing my mind. He was BF for one year and stayed in bed with us that whole time. Then I became preg with my second son and we continued to have son #1 in bed with us. Then son #2 was born and he too slept with us so I could BF him. We had a queen at the time and it was SO crowded because the cat slept with us too!

Okay, anyway beyond that. . .it WAS a pain in the butt getting the boys to move to their own beds. What we did do was get one toddler bed and the boys slept together in that, rather than their own beds, for a year or more, so they had that security. They would climb into our bed around 4 am (and that was the PITB part - they were semi-on their own).

The only time we did the official CIO was when we took my older son''s binky away or I was in the shower (which I''d stay in a REALLY long time just so I could escape. lol!)

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Question for CIO or some sort of modified CIO peeps: Say your child''s default is they STTN. When they have occasional regressions, do you always let them CIO? What if it''s due to teething/cold/fever?

I ask because O was up last night from about 3 am on. He never really went back down. Hence very tired and grumpy mom today. I think it''s because he''s teething so I don''t want to let him CIO if it''s because he''s in pain. BUT after a few hours when he seemed better but still refused to go to sleep in his crib, I was seriously considering letting him cry. I did for about 15 minutes, but it woke DH up and he had an early morning so I didn''t see how long O would cry.

Just curious. If I was to let him CIO, do you ALWAYS let them cry/soothe even if they are not feeling well?

Again, NOT a debate about CIO or how this might be mean. I am truly curious as to how it works in practice. I know the initial way it works, but how does it work for regressions?

On co-sleeping: I think it''s a lovely idea that just won''t work for me personally. BUT I would have totally been up for it last night if O would sleep. He is so not into it, we lay down on the bed and he thinks it''s playtime.
20.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
38.gif

If you want to co-sleep, then I suggest buying ''Three In A Bed'' by Deborah Jackson and ''The Baby Book'' by Dr Sears. Both have great information on co-sleeping and on transitioning. Oh, and you might want to buy a king-size bed!
9.gif

We co-sleep and all enjoy it. Daisy is a ''high needs'' baby and I think I''d have probably killed one of us by now if we didn''t co-sleep... it''s the only way I get a decent amount.

Worth remembering that in many cultures co-sleeping is the norm and the kids there all end up in their own beds!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 6:29:45 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Question for CIO or some sort of modified CIO peeps: Say your child''s default is they STTN. When they have occasional regressions, do you always let them CIO? What if it''s due to teething/cold/fever?

I ask because O was up last night from about 3 am on. He never really went back down. Hence very tired and grumpy mom today. I think it''s because he''s teething so I don''t want to let him CIO if it''s because he''s in pain. BUT after a few hours when he seemed better but still refused to go to sleep in his crib, I was seriously considering letting him cry. I did for about 15 minutes, but it woke DH up and he had an early morning so I didn''t see how long O would cry.

Just curious. If I was to let him CIO, do you ALWAYS let them cry/soothe even if they are not feeling well?

Again, NOT a debate about CIO or how this might be mean. I am truly curious as to how it works in practice. I know the initial way it works, but how does it work for regressions?

On co-sleeping: I think it''s a lovely idea that just won''t work for me personally. BUT I would have totally been up for it last night if O would sleep. He is so not into it, we lay down on the bed and he thinks it''s playtime.
20.gif
I personally think CIO is for an otherwise healthy child. Amelia has been sick a couple of times and I realized quickly that CIO wasn''t the right thing to do because she wasn''t settling down. Sure enough, after I held her for a bit, she threw up and had a stomach bug of some sort.

But I know how she works...because she knows I don''t come back in the room, CIO doesn''t take long at all. If she gets more worked up, I know something is out of the ordinary. So I comfort her until she seems OK. I''ve done this a couple of times and it doesn''t "spoil" her or anything....she doesn''t suddenly think I''m going to come back all the time. She just wasn''t well and needed her mom.

After she got a little love from me, she went down fine (oh, and she felt better after throwing up, of course.)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
China-

The only times that I will do CIO with Sophia is if I know she''s tired, she has been fed, she is not in pain, and soothing isn''t working. In other words, when she''s being stubborn and fighting sleep, we do modified CIO.

We have not gone through regressions yet (I am waiting for the STTN bubble to burst because I like to set my expectations low
9.gif
) but I would let her CIO in that case.

But if she''s sick or teething, we won''t do CIO.

Curious-have you tried the hyland''s tablets for teething? I find that they work instantly to relieve Sophia''s pain.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Tgal- That''s what I figured. Problem is since we''ve never really needed to do CIO, it''s hard to tell sometimes. But for the most part he only gets up when he''s teething/sick. Once it passes, he goes right back to STTN. BUT even when he gets up, he usually needs a bit of TLC and then goes back down easily. Last night was the first time in a LONG time that he would scream every time I put him in his crib. Here''s hoping it was a one night thing, otherwise I will be back for some CIO tips!

I did read Babywise (pre-baby) and agree with Mandarine, it was a really helpful "guideline" as to how to establish a schedule. I tried to read HSHHC but was too exhausted to muddle through, though I do refer to it often if I just need to look something up.

If I was to do it again, I would read Babywise, Baby Whisperer, and HSHHC before baby was born, and then incorporate what works.

Oh and Happiest Baby on the Block worked wonders when O was a newborn. I didn''t read it, had my DH read it and then tell me what to do.
3.gif
It worked to calm him down every time.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
If M was sick or teething, we will soothe/comfort her. IMO, CIO is for when the baby/toddler''s needs are met but they still refuse to sleep. Of course, it''ll be harder for them to fall and stay asleep when they don''t feel well, heck, we, as adults, do too.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery- Yes, the tablets usually work great. Last night NOTHING worked. It was like a newborn all over again. But I agree with all of you that I am not going to start CIO when he''s teething. Just curious as to what others did!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: CIO... I think like everything it has it's place. same with co-sleeping, it was not for us but some parents love it.

mtj.. yep as DD said, that sounds like normal behavior for a 7 week old. sometimes they are easy and sometimes they are downright hard.

anchor and mandarine...add me to the 'can't stand to be touched' sleep personality type. i do the snuggle with the hub for a few minutes and then it's like 'off to your respective corners'... i don't like when the DOG lays near me either and she will always go cuddle with G.

re : sleep books.. i read HSHHC and No Cry Sleep Solution--both were gifts to us.

IMO you can read a few diff things and take something from each of them that would work for you or come away with an idea on the 'big picture'. For example both books suggest routines and schedules can make things easier for 'training' the child. HSHHC advocates a CIO solution whereas NCSS doesn't... (but at the end it does say you might have to let your kid cry which I thought was interesting!). Both talk about things like soothing. And I haven't read BW but the EASY method is a lot like what both of the other books suggest too. Basically baby does eat, sleep, activity/awake time in chunks of time til it becomes more of a 'schedule'.

oh and HSHHC is a hard read, it's very scientific and dry. NCSS was so easy of a read...i polished it off in like 5 days just by reading it at bedtime. HSHHC took me months haha.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kid was such an awful sleeper. In a way HSHHC saved my life or at least my sanity. She slept in a bassinet in our room for 4 months and napped in her swing or car seat. I never knew someone had to be trained on how to sleep. I agree it is a hard read and even more difficult when I read I was totally exhausted and frustrated (she was almost 4 months old). I would suggest reading it before the baby comes. His book helped me transition her into sleeping in her crib (should have done it sooner!) and nap only in her crib. Once my doctor gave me his blessing to CIO (around 5 months) we did. She had weight issues before that so he always told me to feed on demand no matter what time it was. I would have DH feed her a bottle in the middle of the night so we knew she was crying for hunger NOT comfort. Finally at 6 months she started STTN. Bliss. Everything seems easier when you are both well rested. Co-sleeping is not an option for us. I am not a good sleeper, DH snores, and she actually will not sleep in our bed. She loves her crib. Period. So I think it depends on the personality on the kid as well as the parents. We never do CIO when she is sick.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Well, seems like the only way to put him to sleep is nursing. It kind of scares me for the future, but right now I''m going to go with it. He doesn''t take the boob when he''s not hungry, so I guess he needs the food anyway. He eats like crazy in the evenings! He takes 6-7oz in a bottle from DH after dinner now... There''s no way I can pump that every day AND build a stash for evenings out (like my SIL''s wedding in May), so I''ll probably just pump for a stash from now on.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
LOL I am just being a whiner!
5.gif

Re: Doc''s opinion, yeah I thought the same too. I feel that whatever I can do to make my bebe happy and gain her trust I will do. She feels calm and happy when she sleeps next to me. I tell some of my family members and they are totally against co-sleeping. I will try the CIO method once she gets a little older. I have also noticed that she will let out a scream and cry for a second or so and then goes back to sleep.

I am sad right now because she felt a little warm and checked her temp and was starting to get a fever. She seems to be a lot better now. Doc says to monitor her closely. It breaks my heart to see her sicky and sad!
39.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
38.gif

her Doc is 100% correct. we never did co-sleep with our daughters. they each slept in their own room since new born.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anchor We used the pick-up put-down method with success to teach Hunter to fall asleep on his own in his crib when he was 4 weeks. The method means you nurse your baby until they are dozey but not sleepy, then you put the baby down in the crib while still slightly awake. When he cries, pick him up and calm him, and again when he is calm, put him down. Repeat ad infinitum
2.gif
The first time we did this it took 1.5 hours. The second time 40 minutes, and pretty much since then (with some bumps along the way
2.gif
) he has put himself to sleep, He uses soothers too, FWIW. Also, if he is pitching a fit it suggests to me he is over tired at night when you go to put him down. It seems from the schedule you wrote that his night time starts a little late. By 3 months old, Hunter was napping 3 times in the day with the last nap usually 45 minutes at around 4pm. Then he was in bed for the night at 6:30pm and would wake to feed at 10pm, 1am, 4am and then awake for the day around 6am.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 10:11:39 PM
Well, seems like the only way to put him to sleep is nursing. It kind of scares me for the future, but right now I''m going to go with it. He doesn''t take the boob when he''s not hungry, so I guess he needs the food anyway. He eats like crazy in the evenings! He takes 6-7oz in a bottle from DH after dinner now... There''s no way I can pump that every day AND build a stash for evenings out (like my SIL''s wedding in May), so I''ll probably just pump for a stash from now on.
You can use the pick-up put-down method to try and break this habit too. Just watch for his eyes to get heavy and when they do, that is time to put him in the crib which he is still awake but super sleepy. With that method, he does not cry so I think it is good with younger babies or when CIO will not work for whatever reason. As I said, we used soothers and it helped him because he never liked thubm sucking or anything. It takes a long time the first few times but it is SO worth it to have kid who you just stick in bed wide awake and he falls asleep without a peep.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve tried letting Gray CIO, but I just don''t have the heart to do it. But he only does that with me, he won''t do it with Nate because he knows it won''t work. Nate is adamant about letting him CIO. And I don''t think it''s because he''s a pediatrician, I think that''s just his parenting style. Their actual ped doesn''t have a strong opinion for or against it. He actually recommended I do what dreamer does, but I started picking him up and rocking him when he was an infant and now that he''s almost 23 months, I have him spoiled.

We don''t have any of these issues with Savannah. The only time she doesn''t sleep is when she''s sick. When they turned one last year, she pretty much goes to sleep when she''s sleepy. And it''s usually around the same times.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 10:11:39 PM
Anchor, If I''m putting Daisy to bed then I nearly always nurse her, but DH can put her to bed as well so it doesn''t mean that it will always be that you are doing it. I found it was the quickest and easiest way to get her off in the evening, so it worked for me
27.gif

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 6:33:17 PM
Author: Pandora II

38.gif

If you want to co-sleep, then I suggest buying ''Three In A Bed'' by Deborah Jackson and ''The Baby Book'' by Dr Sears. Both have great information on co-sleeping and on transitioning. Oh, and you might want to buy a king-size bed!
9.gif

We co-sleep and all enjoy it. Daisy is a ''high needs'' baby and I think I''d have probably killed one of us by now if we didn''t co-sleep... it''s the only way I get a decent amount.

Worth remembering that in many cultures co-sleeping is the norm and the kids there all end up in their own beds!

You''re in the UK, right? Is it more common there? My mom was more mainstream when she had me than when she had my sister. Until she and my dad divorced she was fairly mainstream. I slept with my mom for a number of years growing up. Not on a consistent basis, but I still slept with her. My mom nursed my sister past a year and she slept with her on a consistent basis until she was 4, I believe (when she was single).

That''s been the greatest influence for me. It was practical and made sense. Made breastfeeding much easier. I dreaded getting up twice in the night to pump when Henry was a newborn. I know I needed to in order to build my supply, but I hated getting up. Now I don''t have to do anything other than latch him on. We''re good to go at that point.

Oh, and having a king bed makes it much more comfortable. Lots of room.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
DD and Pandora - Thanks for your input. I do put him to sleep when he''s drowsy. Even if he falls asleep on the boob, burping him wakes him up and I put him to bed right away. Sometimes he goes right down, sometimes he talks to himself for a bit and is asleep within 5 minutes. Put up, put down doesn''t work if I didn''t nurse him to begin with, we''ve been trying that for the last week and a half. As for him being overtired, the strange thing is that he''s been throwing fits since we started trying to get him to be earlier than 10PM! Anyway, last night I nursed him and he was down for the night at 9PM and he woke up at 12:45AM, 4AM and 5AM, but he just babbled a bit and was back to sleep... He finally wanted to feed at 5:30AM, which means he slept for 8.5 hours! But at 6:15AM he didn''t want to go back down, so I put him in his swing and napped on the couch. He babbled to his friend Freddy the Firefly all the while, but at least I was resting.
5.gif

Looks like someone is up from his nap and is hungry!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results