shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do vendors lie?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I relax my hair at least twice a year (for those that don't know what this is, it's a process to straighten your curls from the roots). I haven't done it in a while and went to my hair place to get it done three weeks ago.

Before I got to the salon, I called to ask if they had a specific brand of relaxers. This particular brand works best for my hair. As you can imagine, the chemical itself can be very bad for your hair if you don't get the right brand and don't have it put on by someone who knows what they are doing. She said that they do have the brand. When I got there, I confirmed again and she said that they do. The relaxer lasts usually 3 months but with this brand I can push it to 4 months.

So imagine my surprise when one week later, my roots on the front and back of my head looked as if it had never been touched. I went in this weekend to show her and she agreed to retouch for free. My hair was pretty bad before going in so I figured that maybe she needed to leave it in for a little longer than she had. Yesterday I went in and was treated by someone else who knew I was coming. When I confirmed with her that she was using the same product as before, she told me that they don't have that product and never did because it's too expensive :o She showed me the canister and sure enough, it was another brand.

I'm very upset not because of the different brand. They are professionals and I have confidence that they know what they are doing. Plus, I can tell when it's a cheap brand (because it burns) and this one did not. I'm upset because they lied. She could have just explained to me that they don't carry that brand and suggest other products for me to decide. I've been going to this salon for years so it's not like they would have lost my business. Worst case is that I would have done the relaxer elsewhere but gone to them for my bi-weekly conditioning. The other part that really upsets me is that I was charged for the more expensive brand that they did not use. The normal rate is $100 but because I requested this relaxer, they charged $150. The owner was not there yesterday but I will talk to them about getting part of my money back.

No point in this I guess. I just needed to vent. I don't understand the point in lying to a customer just to get the business :nono:

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery,

Is it possible that your stylist special-ordered that product for you upon your request, hence the higher charge? The second stylist would probably have no way to know the original stylist ordered/picked up something special for you. I know my stylist has gone out of her way to pick certain things up for me that they typically don't carry in the salon, and I just reimburse her the cost. I'd wait to talk to the original stylist to give her a chance to explain before you jump to the conclusion that she lied.

If she did lie, I would definitely talk to the owner about getting my money back, but give her a chance to explain first.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
NB-it's a possibility although I doubt it. I called the night before to ask so if she did have to order, I doubt she would have gotten it that quickly unless she picked it up. When I asked the other stylist about it she said "this is the one she left for me to put on" and it wasn't the same brand. ETA: Also, what makes me think it wasn't the same product all along is the fact that my hair looked as bad as it did just a week later. That has never happened in a professional setting. It's only happened when my mom used to do my hair :errrr:

The one who did my hair originally is the owner (she and her husband). I'll ask her what happened and hope that it's a misunderstanding although I'm not sure if I'll ever get a straight answer from her.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery - that stinks. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth and I would probably look for somewhere else to get my hair done if I felt that had purposely mislead me. I am sorry - I know how hard it is to find somewhere great to get your hair done.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Fiery - :angryfire:

I am angry for you.

I wonder if technically this isn't an assault. You requested and agreed to specific treatment and they carried out a treatment for which they did not have your consent? I hope you get your cash back - what losers..... :nono:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery, I don't blame you a bit for being upset. It would really bother me too. Maybe the salon owner will have some kind of explanation. (ah, good ol' Junebug, ever the optimist.) It's the principal of the thing, ya know? Let us know how you make out.

JonyLeaber

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can only speak for myself. If I say I will be back, I do go back. If I say I want to think about it, that is what I do. I rarely make on the spot decisions and do like time to walk away and consider if the product is what I want or not. If I decide I want it, I go back and get it. If not, then I don't. If it is a product I am not interested in, I thank them for their time but say it is just not what I am looking for at that time.
One thing I will say as to why some folks may use those reasons dishonestly is that too often, when a person has a reason for not wanting a product, the vendor tends to "argue" with the person as to why their reason is not valid and they really do need that product.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results