shape
carat
color
clarity

WHo has the dyson animal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
My vacuum died, but not only did it die, I also ran out of the last bag. I told my husband I wanted a dyson and he said no, but I figured I would get it anyway, since mother''s day is around the corner, and we all know I am the mother of them all.
2.gif

So, I want to get the Dyson animal, but there are a few different kinds. I saw the 07, the 15 and the 17 animal versions.

I am wondering which one to get. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the dyson animal, I don''t know which type, but it is upright and I LOVE IT!! It is amazng and really gets at everything in sight and lots of things you can''t see (we were super grossed out by the amount of hair it picked up AFTER we had already vaccuumed with out other one). Totally worth every penny.

DD

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you go on their site and see if you can see what the differences are? I have the purple and the yellow and I really like them. We tested it by using our old central vac and then immediately using the Dyson. What a difference!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have it and love it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m wondering, do all of your have carpet or do any of you have hardwoods? I''ve been thinking about buying a Dyson literally for years, but we have hardwood floors throughout our house and I''m not sure if it''s worth the extra $$. I literally vacuum every day (what can I say, I have a newf!) so I would definitely get a LOT of use out of it, but since hardwoods are relatively easy to clean, I''m having a tough time justifying the splurge. Any insight?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have both. 1st flood hardwoods with a few area rugs. I do think it is better on carpet but overall think it is a great vacuum.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
We have a central vac system in our house but I bought the Dyson Animal DC17 because #1 we have a long haired cat and #2 I hated messing with the 50-foot hose of the central vac every time I just wanted to do a quick pick-up.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Dyson. We, too, have mostly hardwood floors, carpet in only 2 rooms... but I LOVE it just the same. It puts my central vac to SHAME!!!

(PS There are a few old threads around here about the Dyson Animal, if you do a search.)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Have the Animal and LOVE it. We have hardwood and laminate tile on the main floor, with a large area rug. We only have carpet in the bedrooms. The Dyson is GREAT on hardwood, but I admit that I mostly use the wand for the hard floors because cat hair has a tendency to bond together into tumble weeds. It''s also great on the stairs. I''ve had it for 4 years and it''s still going strong.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, everyone I know who has a dyson raves about it and I always thought it was a waste of money (IE:why buy one so expensive when you can buy one half the price for the same type of work), but now that my vacuum has died, it seems that this is the one I want.

Also, I figure the price is worth it since I had my old one for 14+ years, so if this one last at least 8 to 10 years, it would be so worth it. Unfortunately, my DH is like, no way!

I have thought about getting one for a few years now, but since my old vac was still working, I figured I would wait it out. It''s funny because I drop money on bags or RC pendants like it''s nothing, but I can''t fathom spending $500 for a vacuum that will get so much more use than my handbag.

One thing I wanted to note is that I have all wood floors or tile through out the house, but in each room I have an area rug, so I am sure I will be using the wand thing alot. I have a dog and a cat and dustballs seem aplenty as well !

DF, I remember your thread about getting a dyson last year, and it''s funny that now you have two of them. I suppose you really like them. Do you use your central vac at all now that you have the dysons.

Lynn B, that''s the one I was thinking of getting, the 17 animal, but it is about $100 more than the original 07 animal, so I am not sure what the benefit would be to getting this model as opposed to the other one. Why did you get it over the other animal models.

They also have a new animal ball series, so now I am really unsure which one to get!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Use a BBB coupon for 20% off. That helps with the cost.

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Hi Butterfly - we have the dyson animal and love it. We have hardwood in all the rooms and it works great. When we bought ours I think the salesperson said the only difference in the models, 07, 15, 17, etc. is the attachments that come with it. We wanted the pet hair attachment so we got the purple one but if you don't need all the extra attachments, save the money.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 4:51:27 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I'm wondering, do all of your have carpet or do any of you have hardwoods? I've been thinking about buying a Dyson literally for years, but we have hardwood floors throughout our house and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $$. I literally vacuum every day (what can I say, I have a newf!) so I would definitely get a LOT of use out of it, but since hardwoods are relatively easy to clean, I'm having a tough time justifying the splurge. Any insight?

We have hardwood with area rugs, and it does a great job. We have 2 big dogs (140+ pounds of dog to be exact) and the nice thing is that it transitions seamlessly from carpet to hardwood. It works SO MUCH BETTER than a cheapo vaccum or a broom. I love ours.

ETA: we got ours on woot.com. If you can wait a few months, and you check everyday, you can get them for a steal here. I think we paid $270 shipped and we have the nicer one with the ball, etc.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 6:28:19 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Use a BBB coupon for 20% off. That helps with the cost.
Thanks Tacori, I actual found a store called factorydirect that sells them for even more than 20% off. And free shipping, no tax unless you live in NJ, so I think I will go with that place.

Still undecided about about which one to get though.

I am really psyched about it though!!! My mom has one and we used it to clean up all the confetti after a New Years party and it was great!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 7:04:08 PM
Author: Emeraldfan
Hi Butterfly - we have the dyson animal and love it. We have hardwood in all the rooms and it works great. When we bought ours I think the salesperson said the only difference in the models, 07, 15, 17, etc. is the attachments that come with it. We wanted the pet hair attachment so we got the purple one but if you don''t need all the extra attachments, save the money.

thanks! I do have a dog and a cat, so definitely need the pet hair attachment, unfortunately, all the animal models come with the pet hair attachment, so I am really not sure which one to go with.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Butterfly, not as much. I had JUST gotten all new hoses and heads (three sets one for each floor except the top floor which I kept one of the old ones to use) since I hate dragging it all over) and had spent like $1500.00 to do so, so it would work right. But while I was waiting for the order to arrive from the company I had to vacuum (dog hair) and so I ran out and grabbed the dyson thinking I would retire it shortly. Now it is all we use.

allikatac

Shiny_Rock
We went with the 17 since it had more attachments and have no regrets. We use all of them. It is awesome! It actually makes sweeping fun.
36.gif
You''ll love whichever one you choose.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I got the DC17 as a gift and it''s great. I don''t know what I would do without it.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
We splurged on one. I never thought I would spend so much on a vacuum, but we used the 20% coupon at BBB and I am so glad we got it. It makes vacuuming almost fun. I thought about the slim but glad I got the full size b/c I have to empty it so often anyway (2 dogs, lots of hair.) I empty it several times while vacuuming my house. I think it is great on carpets, also great on hardwoods (with the spinner switched off - just hit the button - doesn;t scratch the floor). It is not so great on my cheaper area rugs because it wants to suck them in, but I just use the attachment and it is fine. There is very little maintenance on the dyson, just wash the filter every 6 months (at least I hope that''s it - that''s all I do!) The attachments are very good too. I bet there are cheaper vacuums that are also nice, but this one is excellent for sure.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I have the smaller cylinder version, with attachments for carpet and for hard floors. It does a fantastic job on dog hairs, of which we seem to have many (dog should be bald by now, by rights!).

DH uses it most days and actually seems to ejoy it (I tried it once and it was ok to pull around, quite lightweight).

It does a better job than our old one which was the original model dyson, and still pretty good. Plus you save by not buying bags, right?
9.gif

I''d say grab one - they''re great.

Jen

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so now here is my other question. I am stuck between the DC17 and the DC15, which one should I get?

The DC15 is the ball and the DC17 is the regular type. Anyone have the ball?

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, just the regular type. The ball wasn't available here until very recently. I think I'd get the ball if I was buying now though, purely on the basis that it looks really cool!

Jen

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 11:26:05 AM
Author: butterfly 17
Okay, so now here is my other question. I am stuck between the DC17 and the DC15, which one should I get?

The DC15 is the ball and the DC17 is the regular type. Anyone have the ball?
I have the ball and it''s fantastic! Ours is the yellow one, is that the 15 or 17? It really makes getting under things much, much easier - which is nice since my cats'' hiding spots are all under the beds in the house. It does take a bit of getting used to though. You''re so used to going back and forth that moving something with just your wrist action is a little odd. And then there was the static. For some reason, a room that hasn''t been vacuumed with a Dyson will have loads of static in the carpet. I kept getting shocked and it hurt! But now that we''ve had it for a while (two years almost) it doesn''t do that anymore.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Butterfly - in case you''re looking to save a bit, I have the Dyson slim and it works VERY well. It''s lighter than the animal and it works well for my 2600 square foot home with cats.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Stephanie, so you are the only person I know who has the ball. Is there a tendency for the handle part to fall when it is supposed to be upright. I think that is my biggest worry with the kids, esp. the 2 1/2 yr. old. That she will be pulling it down all the time and knocking it over.

Hey MC, thanks for the info. I still think I really want to get the ball or the dc17. My fav. color is purple, I know, I am sicko, and I like that they are/have purple in them.

Also, they have a new slim the dc18 access, and they are about the same price as the ball. I think I just have to go to the store and check it out!

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 8:22:30 AM
Author: butterfly 17
Stephanie, so you are the only person I know who has the ball. Is there a tendency for the handle part to fall when it is supposed to be upright. I think that is my biggest worry with the kids, esp. the 2 1/2 yr. old. That she will be pulling it down all the time and knocking it over.

Hey MC, thanks for the info. I still think I really want to get the ball or the dc17. My fav. color is purple, I know, I am sicko, and I like that they are/have purple in them.

Also, they have a new slim the dc18 access, and they are about the same price as the ball. I think I just have to go to the store and check it out!
The ball has only fallen over when I''ve been using the hose attachment (since it is the handle) and I was trying to lengthen the hose. When you first get it, the hose is tight and won''t reach to the top of the stairs (well, my 12 stairs) and so the first few times we used it on the stairs we would try to stretch out the hose and it would fall against the stairs. It''s very sturdy otherwise though. Just make sure that when you are switching from floor to hose that it clicks back into the upright position (you will hear it) and it should be fine. While the Dysons are light, it still takes a bit to pull them down. I wouldn''t worry about the kids being able to break it. Everything just kind of pops back into place, if that makes sense.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
We were comparing the ball w/ non ball version. DH thought maybe the ball would be easier to break than the non-ball so we got the non-ball (DC17??) I bet either would have been fine though.

If you get the slim just keep in mind you will have to empty it a lot more.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 2:33:24 PM
Author: TanDogMom
We were comparing the ball w/ non ball version. DH thought maybe the ball would be easier to break than the non-ball so we got the non-ball (DC17??) I bet either would have been fine though.

If you get the slim just keep in mind you will have to empty it a lot more.

Yes, we went yesterday to BBB because they have the animal ball DC15 at 25% off (not including the additional 20% off with the coupon) and I have to say I found the ball slightly awkward and more likely to break or have more pieces to lose/break and I felt the DC17 was much more sturdier and well built.

So I think I will go with the 17 right now.

Hopefully I can convince my DH to get it now and not later.

Thanks everyone for their input. I hope to be a new dyson lover very soon!!!
36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We registered for the Dyson Slim and I''m STILL undecided about whether that''s the one we should get. I can''t wait to see what you get Butterfly. We live in a 1000 square foot condo (one floor, wall to wall carpeting except in the kitchen and bathroom, obviously). We have two cats and I''m sure there''s plenty of fur to be picked up. We have berber carpeting, which seems to really hold onto cat fur.

While I haven''t tried any of the Dysons for any real length of time, they do seem a bit bulky (and heavy, at least to me). Thinking about the future, I''d love to get a vacuum that''s easy to carry up and down the stairs. The Dysons don''t seem to be user friendly in that way. I''m also very small, so it makes carrying tall, heavy things cumbersome at times. The Slim seemed more lightweight, which is why we went with that one. We may change our minds though and change our registry.

Sorry to be so long winded and I wish I could give you advice about which one to get.

kathyinjapan

Shiny_Rock
I have the DC20 Turbine which has a turbine head and HEPA filter - perfect for my 2 dogs and 1 cat.

I looked on the US Dyson website and notice that your models are a bit different to ours - you dont have the DC20 there and uprights are more popular than barrels (different to us)

What do the pet hair attachments look like?

IMG4823.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results