shape
carat
color
clarity

When did/will your little girl have her first haircut?

When did your DD get her first hair cut?

• 12-18mo''s

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 18-24mo''s

• around age 2

• around age 3

• other (please share!)

• just show me the answers

• Total voters

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I know this is somewhat subjective since each baby has a different amount of hair, but curious hen most people take their DD for their first haircut. DD is 20 mo''s and her hair is getting long but I don''t want to cut it yet. For some reason I think 2 might be a good time to bite the bullet.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sophia will be getting a haircut the week of her birthday, assuming I don''t fill my time with other things and forget
3.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I voted other. Lily is 3 and has never had a haircut. I never want to cut it!! Lucy hasn''t had one yet either at 20 months.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I trim Amelia''s bangs but the rest of her hair has never been cut. I''ve turned into my mother in the fact that I''m now the household barber/stylist. I cut TGuy''s hair now too.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 11:08:15 AM
Author: TravelingGal
I trim Amelia''s bangs but the rest of her hair has never been cut. I''ve turned into my mother in the fact that I''m now the household barber/stylist. I cut TGuy''s hair now too.
This is what I want to do. Her bangs go past her nose at this point.

Plus, her hair is cute when styled but for the most part it is a hot mess lol

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
C''s hair is cute with curls in the back, but her bangs are also nearing her chin. I use barretts but first thing in the morning--woah..can''t see her face! In the back it is well beyond her shoulders now. Like curlly, I kind of don''t want to cut it!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 11:35:06 AM
Author: fiery

Date: 6/15/2010 11:08:15 AM
This is what I want to do. Her bangs go past her nose at this point.

Plus, her hair is cute when styled but for the most part it is a hot mess lol
I bought a good pair of haircutting scissors and put her in front of the TV while I cut. Works great. I actually put the haircutting smock on her to make the mess easier to clean.

I''ve never cut the length, but I have gone around and cleaned it up, trying to give gradual layers on the side. I''ll probably cut the length as soon as it starts to hit mid back. It''s already there, but her hair curls so it appears a bit shorter.

lili

Ideal_Rock
I snipped J''s bangs when she was around 8 months.
Then chopped off a good 2 inches off the back when she was around 22 months because it was too shaggy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also trimmed Ashley''s bangs, but don''t think she got a real hair cut till she was 2? I forget!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is interesting
1.gif

In my culture (not sure if this is a widespread Hindu practice or if it''s more connected to S.India) children are taken to their family temple soon after birth and shaved bald, and the hair is an offering to a diety, so they get their first haircuts early on..

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
yssie~ I never heard of this. Very interesting!

Our little girl will get a hair cut when she needs one. I have a friend who wouldn''t cut her daughter''s hair and it was a big mullet. I will never do that to my child! I''ll also cut it if she won''t let me brush it. I''d rather have a little girl with short well-kept hair that a tangled mess down her back.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 4:51:03 PM
Author: somethingshiny
yssie~ I never heard of this. Very interesting!

Our little girl will get a hair cut when she needs one. I have a friend who wouldn't cut her daughter's hair and it was a big mullet. I will never do that to my child! I'll also cut it if she won't let me brush it. I'd rather have a little girl with short well-kept hair that a tangled mess down her back.

LOL....that's why we cut DD's hair at 20 months.
It was beginning to look like a mullet.
If she's got cute curls...then I'd be more little more hesitant about chopping it off.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 3:47:26 PM
Author: yssie
1.gif

In my culture (not sure if this is a widespread Hindu practice or if it's more connected to S.India) children are taken to their family temple soon after birth and shaved bald, and the hair is an offering to a diety, so they get their first haircuts early on..
Korean kids are also shaved bald. Not sure if there is a cultural significance. It's more vanity, (heck, which is definitely cultural for Koreans) as it's said that shaving the head will make the hair grow back thicker and more bountiful. My kid was kind of funny looking to begin with, so there was no way I was going to make her look worse by shaving her head!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 5:31:41 PM

1.gif

In my culture (not sure if this is a widespread Hindu practice or if it''s more connected to S.India) children are taken to their family temple soon after birth and shaved bald, and the hair is an offering to a diety, so they get their first haircuts early on..
Korean kids are also shaved bald. Not sure if there is a cultural significance. It''s more vanity, (heck, which is definitely cultural for Koreans) as it''s said that shaving the head will make the hair grow back thicker and more bountiful. My kid was kind of funny looking to begin with, so there was no way I was going to make her look worse my shaving her head!

Yup, same for chinese culture too.
Some parents even go as far as shaving the eyebrows too.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
style="WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 344px">Date: 6/15/2010 5:35:30 PM
Author: lili

1.gif

Korean kids are also shaved bald. Not sure if there is a cultural significance. It''s more vanity, (heck, which is definitely cultural for Koreans) as it''s said that shaving the head will make the hair grow back thicker and more bountiful. My kid was kind of funny looking to begin with, so there was no way I was going to make her look worse my shaving her head!

Oh yeah. Everyone was telling us to shave M''s hair. So I told DH "fine, you can do it. But I won''t." We never did, and her hair is dark brown and still pretty short now at 22.5 months.

Oh and people ask us if we cut her eyelashes because they think her eyelashes are long for a Chinese baby. Because supposedly if you cut the eyelashes, then it''ll grow back longer. Hmmm NO.

And to answer the original question, M''s bangs were cut by MIL at around 20 months. DH told MIL not to cut it again because he thought she cut it too short and it looks funny. So he told me to cut it since it''s getting long again.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
She still hasn't! But I am getting very close b/c it really needs to be evened out.

ETA: she is 2 years, 7 months and the under layer (is that what it is called?) is curly while the top layer is straight. Lays very strange.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 5:53:02 PM
Author: qtiekiki
style="WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 344px">Date: 6/15/2010 5:35:30 PM

Author: lili

1.gif

In my culture (not sure if this is a widespread Hindu practice or if it's more connected to S.India) children are taken to their family temple soon after birth and shaved bald, and the hair is an offering to a diety, so they get their first haircuts early on..
Korean kids are also shaved bald. Not sure if there is a cultural significance. It's more vanity, (heck, which is definitely cultural for Koreans) as it's said that shaving the head will make the hair grow back thicker and more bountiful. My kid was kind of funny looking to begin with, so there was no way I was going to make her look worse my shaving her head!

Oh yeah. Everyone was telling us to shave M's hair. So I told DH 'fine, you can do it. But I won't.' We never did, and her hair is dark brown and still pretty short now at 22.5 months.

Oh and people ask us if we cut her eyelashes because they think her eyelashes are long for a Chinese baby. Because supposedly if you cut the eyelashes, then it'll grow back longer. Hmmm NO.

And to answer the original question, M's bangs were cut by MIL at around 20 months. DH told MIL not to cut it again because he thought she cut it too short and it looks funny. So he told me to cut it since it's getting long again.

Ooops...I meant eyelashes instead eyebrows :razz:

QT-- I only trimmed J's bangs once when she was 8 months.
That was because her daycare doesn't allow clips in the classroom because they could be choking hazards.
I just clip it or tie up her front now.
Just hate the thought of having to trim it every so often.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 5:53:42 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
She still hasn''t! But I am getting very close b/c it really needs to be evened out.

ETA: she is 2 years, 7 months and the under layer (is that what it is called?) is curly while the top layer is straight. Lays very strange.
Tacori, Amelia has hair like that too. Front is stick straight. The part from the crown is straight. But everything from the mid back of the head down is curly. What I did ages ago is cut all the straight bits slightly shorter than the curly bits so it lays better. The straight parts often curled more that way (or at least flipped out a bit) because rested and curled against the bottom curls. I also think maybe the straight parts are beginning to curl, but I probably won''t know that until cut them.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sophia''s hair is the opposite. She has this patch of really thick, long hair up top that is wavy. The rest is completely straight and short. It only parts on the left and I usually have to take that patch of hair and clip it out of her face.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I still haven''t cut T''s. No bangs, nothing. Started out I was just afraid shr couldn''t sit still nut not I''m attached...crazy, I know. It''s shorter in the front (kind of like it''s layered) and curly and down to the middle of her back (I really need to take a pic of the back for you guys...it''s crazy long). I''m afraid if I cut it I''ll cut the curl out. I''ll probably get it trimmed here soon.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Savannah is 2 and the thought of cutting her hair has never even came to me. Her hair is gradually getting curlier and curlier, so I don''t think I''ll have to worry about it for a while. Maybe I''ll let someone trim the ends.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter got hers before kindergarten - just a trim of the baby ends about 4" from the longest point in the middle.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting about the cultures. According to the Greek orthodox church the first time the baby gets his/her hair cut is during baptism (part of the ceremony to take a lock of hair). So a big no no to get it cut before then.

so, first daughter got her first hair cut when baptised (around 4 months). I never got around to having my second baptised, but was reticient about cutting her hair because I knew that meant she wasn''t getting baptised. I waited until I couldn''t stand it anymore, cutting it around age 3.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a daughter, but Hunter is 16 months and we have not yet cut his hair. I plan to leave it as long as possible and then trim for a style I guess. I love little boys with cute little mop tops! Like those kids in the late 70s. Like this...

Hunter is almost there buy his hair is still really whispy.

moptopboycutie.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 7:03:21 PM
Author: dreamer_d
I don''t have a daughter, but Hunter is 16 months and we have not yet cut his hair. I plan to leave it as long as possible and then trim for a style I guess. I love little boys with cute little mop tops! Like those kids in the late 70s. Like this...

I totally agree! I love shaggy hair on little boys. My husband''s shaggy, and I think it''ll be cute to keep Henry''s hair shaggy too. If it doesn''t require too much maintenance, that is.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just the cutest picture! the lighting is beautiful. It looks like they are out on a ranch in the west.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
London was 4. She had pretty long hair by then, but it''s like mine was when I was little-cobwebby fine. She got a stacked bob and it''s been short ever since. It''s much easier to comb thru now. I want to do a pixie cut but I''m pretty sure JD would freak out. She''s got a face that can carry it off tho!

Trapper was..around 18 months I think?? I liked leaving it grow, but then in Menard''s one day, a woman made a snide comment about him having a mullet (which he did not) We shaved his head. And I cried. Saved his hair too. He looked so much like a big boy it actually made me sad.

During the summer he has a mohawk. Guys always give him high fives and women gush over it. A lot better than sneering mullet comments.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results