shape
carat
color
clarity

vegetarian/vegan recipes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interest has been expressed in starting a thread for vegetarian/vegan friendly recipes....so I guess I''ll go first!

I make a vegetarian lasagna I''ve adapted over time from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook:

For a 13x9 in pan,

Ingredients:
no boil lasagna noodles
1 15 oz container of Ricotta cheese (I use the low fat)
Italian baking sauce or whatever spaghetti sauce you like
1 pckg. frozen spinach, thawed
1 14 oz jar roasted red sweet peppers, sliced or diced
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

Mix together the ricotta and veggies.
layer lasagna noodles on the bottom of pan,
then follow with cheese/veggie mix and repeat.
Cover with sauce and sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese if desired.

Bake covered for about 30 min. in a 350 degree oven
Bake uncovered for about 10 minutes so the cheese browns on top.

Ok, first of all I forgot to say that this is lacto-ovo vegetarian because of the cheese...
Second, this is one of those recipes you can play with and put in different veggies when you feel like it. You can also use zucchini, any other kinds of peppers, or whatever other veggie sounds good.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, that sounds delicious! I don''t have any recipes on me at the moment, but I''m also a vegetarian and love this thread idea! Keep ''em coming!
9.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I know what I''m making for dinner tonight!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''m a Veg, too! I make this one dish passed from my mom to me. In a large saute pan (any wide bottomed pan with high sides but not as high as a saucepan) layer slices of zucchini (any kind will do, but I prefer the larger ones) thenslices of tomato over that, and then slices of onion. season each layer with whatever seasonings you choose (I use garlic powder, salt and pepper). Over the layered veggies sprinkle shredded cheese (I use mexican blend, but you can use any kind of semi-soft cheese, jack, colby jack, cheddar, mozzarella). Over that, pour about 8 ounces of vegetable broth, or chicken broth (if you eat birds). Cover it and simmer for about 20 minutes. It''s SO good. All the veggies have seasoned each other, and the cheese mixes with the broth and gets super melty and tasty!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 3:54:47 PM
Author:monarch64
Interest has been expressed in starting a thread for vegetarian/vegan friendly recipes....so I guess I''ll go first!

I make a vegetarian lasagna I''ve adapted over time from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook:
My boyfriend just asked for lasagna for his birthday tomorrow! Thanks for this!!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Vegetarian Fiesta dip:

1 16 oz can vegetarian refried beans
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 cup thick and chunky salsa
1 cup shredded mexican style cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 tbsp. sliced black olives

Spread beans onto bottom of 9 inch pie plate
Layer remaining items in whatever order you wish over beans
Refridgerate for 2 hours
Serve with tortilla chips

Enjoy!

***EDIT*** Forgot about the cup of shredded lettuce.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Moon River, Thanks!! My boyfriend loves this kind of stuff, but all the premade ones have lard
14.gif
in the beans!! This is great.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I have a re-newed interest in grocery shopping now! I can''t wait to try these new recipes!!! Why didn''t we start this thread a long time ago?
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Vegetarian Chili

1 16 oz can of veg pinto or kidney beans(or you can boil your own)
1 cup thick and chunky salsa
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder

Bring to boil and let simmer 20 minutes

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love spinach and artichokes, and I used to love the dip with all the cream cheese or whatever made it gooey and delicious, but now I just take a package of frozen spinach and a can of non-marinated artichoke hearts (too much work to cut up the fresh ones!), thaw out the spinach and chop up the hearts and mix the two together with I Can''t Believe It''s Not Butter, lemon, and a little salt and pepper and voila! A healthy side dish or even a topping for fettucine with a little olive oil!

AmberWaves, your zucchini, tomato and onion recipe sounds delicious! I will definitely give that a try...do you pair it with spanish rice or anything?

MoonRiver, I love me some chili! I will have to try a fresher recipe such as yours, though. I''m guilty of getting the Chili Man vegetarian canned stuff at the store. I also have gotten the organic vegetarian stuff in cans, and they''re both pretty good, but I like the idea of boiling my own beans.

My biggest problem is getting away from all the pre-packaged stuff. Anyone else in this boat? I love being a veg, but without going completely vegan/raw food it''s hard not to eat packaged and processed stuff.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I do try it with spanish rice, but this time we actually had it as a side dish with cheese enchiladas!! SO good, and later, you can blend the leftovers for a tasty soup!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I''m gonna need a cheese enchilada recipe now AmberWaves!!
9.gif
Last time I made enchiladas a year or so ago they involved ground beef! Please just tell me I can use store bought tortillas and I don''t have to make them from scratch, hee hee!

I
emlove.gif
Mexican food!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Vegetarian Goulash

1 can V-8 juice
1 can mixed vegetables(potatoes,corn, green beans,carrots,etc)
1 cup macaroni
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp seasoning salt

Bring to boil and simmer until macaroni is done.

NOTE: This is the simple version. In the summertime I use fresh veggies. I also use some that were ''home canned'' It taste better that way. If you have a garden or farmers market it really makes a differance in the taste. Also, this recipe freezes beautifully.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sumptuous Spinach Salad With Orange Sesame Dressing

1 bunch fresh spinach (about 6 cups of leaves)
1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1/4 to 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 orange, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
2 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate
1 Tbsp. water
• Trim the spinach stems and carefully wash the leaves. Dry, then tear any large leaves into bite-size pieces. Place in a salad bowl along with the pepper, onion, and orange slices.
• Toast the sesame seeds in a 400°F toaster oven or regular oven for 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and grind into a powder. Add the vinegar, orange juice concentrate, and water. Blend to mix. Pour over salad and toss just before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings

Fabulous spinach salad from vegcooking.com....my personal favorite take on this recipe is (stilll haven''t let go of processed dressing) spinach/baby greens, mandarin oranges from the glass jars in the produce section which are fresh as far as I know, some mozzarella cheese, sunflower seeds, and Just 2Good Honey Dijon dressing. Sometimes I throw in dried cranberries or fresh strawberries, and even sliced fresh white mushrooms. I''ve brought this salad to so many gatherings and it is always well received. (Yay! Vegetarians are always good for salads when it comes to potlucks!)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2006 4:23:28 PM
Author: marvel
I know what I''m making for dinner tonight!
OK, marvel, I want to know how it turned out! I''ve never made it the exact same way each time so I''m interested to hear if you actually did make it or made any revisions! My oven is on the blink right now so I''m not able to make it myself--I have a frozen veg. lasagna that is 5 servings and you can heat it in the micro but I''m scared to try it that way! LOL!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one for the crock pot:

Vegetarian Lentil Rice Soup:

2 cups dry lentils
2 cups long grain brown rice
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 onion chopped
8 cups of water
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 cup sliced mushrooms

Add all but mushrooms to your crock pot and cook on low 7 hours. Then add mushrooms and cook another hour.
Makes 10 servings and freezes beautifully.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hey monarch! I made the lasagna for BF for his Birthday dinner on Saturday, and it was SO good. Instead of peppers, we used diced eggplant he''d sauteed. Yum yum yum. As for the cheese enhiladas (you can thank my hispanic mom!) you can totally buy store bought corn tortillas- we only buy them! Let me dig up the recipe (it''s actually SUPER easy.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eggplant! Girl, I have GOT to get our oven fixed, lol! Sounds so good, glad you were able to try it. I fired myself from cooking for the weekend, but I have to try a couple of these recipes this week. The goulash one looks right up my alley, as we are supposed to have a high temp of 18 by Saturday, yikes.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Love the vegetarian recipe ideas. Here''s one I use frequently for guests:

PASTA WITH ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND SHALLOTS
3 cups (1 inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 shallots, peeled & halved lengthwise (about 1/2 lb.)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
4 oz. uncooked fettuccine
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Combine squash, sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons oil, salt, pepper, and shallots in a jelly roll pan; toss well. Bake at 475 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sage. (Precooking the squash in the microwave cuts down on the baking time).

While squash mixture bakes, cook pasta according to pkg directions, omitting salt & fat. Drain. Place cooked pasta in bowl. Add 2 teaspoons oil; toss well. Serve the squash mixture over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese. 4 servings.

*Sweet potatoes may be substituted for the squash
** I think adding ½ cup or so of apple juice or some other liquid will help make a sauce.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, ID, I''ve never purchased shallots (but I know they''re next to onions in my grocery store), and now I have to buy a jelly roll pan (no idea what I''m looking for but I''ll ask someone) because I LOVE butternut squash!!! I have one in the kitchen right now waiting to be assaulted!
emsmilep.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Monarch--You can use any baking pan with sides. Even one of those 9X11 pyrex baking dishes will work!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thank goodness! I have plenty of pyrex in all kinds of sizes. I''m STILL learning my way around the kitchen...my mother really tried to get me interested in cooking when I was growing up, but I had no interest. Now I''m having to learn a lot on my own, and sometimes I call her in the middle of a recipe to ask stupid questions like "does stirring mean the same as mixing? Because I put this cookie dough in the mixer and it said to stir." LOL. She just laughs and has all the patience in the world, while I am practically in hysterics.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lemon-marinated vegetables--8 servings

1/3 cup olive oil or cooking oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
12 ounces baby carrots with tops, peeled and trimmed
2 medium red and/or yellow sweet peppers
1/2 pound mushrooms
1 cup cherry tomatoes
DIRECTIONS
1. For vinaigrette, combine oil, lemon juice, basil, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake well. Set aside.
2. Cook green beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling water in a large saucepan for 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook, covered, for 8 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Cut shapes out of the sweet peppers, using a star-shape cutter. Place the green beans, carrots, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes in a bag set in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over vegetables.
4. Seal bag, and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours, turning the bag occasionally to distribute vinaigrette.
5. To serve, bring to room temperature. Drain vegetables; arrange on a platter. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yea!
36.gif
36.gif
i am so excited about this thread!!! don''t have anything to add just yet, i am a fly by the seat of your pants type of cooking girl most of the time.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surya’s Fire-Roasted Gazpacho
Courtesy of Blossoming Lotus
1 1/2 cups grilled roma tomatoes
4 cups tomato juice
2/3 cup filtered water
2/3 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
2/3 cup corn, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup red onion, diced
3 Tbsp. lime juice, fresh squeezed
3 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
1 Tbsp. shoyu or soy sauce
1 Tbsp. basil, minced
1 1/4 tsp. cumin powder, toasted
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
Pinch of cayenne
Sea salt, to taste
Black pepper, fresh ground, to taste

• Place the tomatoes and juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve chilled.

Makes 8 cups

Serving suggestion: Make sure the soup is completely chilled before serving. It tastes great with corn bread.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one from Cooking Light that I love!

Lasagna Rolls with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

These rolls require some assembly time but are a nice change of pace from layered pasta. Use baby spinach to eliminate the task of trimming stems.

Lasagna:
8 uncooked lasagna noodles
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Sauce:
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, undrained
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

To prepare lasagna, cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, spinach, and 3 garlic cloves; sauté 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in cheeses, 2 tablespoons basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.

To prepare sauce, place vinegar and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.

Place cooked noodles on flat surface; spread 1/4 cup cheese mixture over each noodle. Roll up noodles, jelly-roll fashion, starting with short side. Place the rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish. Pour 1/4 cup sauce over each roll, and cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap. Microwave at high 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons basil.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 rolls)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 393(27% from fat); FAT 11.7g (sat 4.3g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 19.3g; CHOLESTEROL 20mg; CALCIUM 253mg; SODIUM 924mg; FIBER 5.9g; IRON 3.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 58.3g

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock

This got mixed reviews on cookinglight.com but I saw it in last month''s issue (my subscrip just started, yay!) and decided to try it. It really worked for me and I loved the taste. It''s a great way to get all your green veggies in, and the taste was great! Note - I doubled the lemon juice in the recipe because I love lemon flavor and the tang really worked in this soup. I liked it!! It does come out green, so don''t be scared!

ETA: I also pureed the soup at the end with an immersion blender right in the pot, instead of a regular blender or food processor like they suggest. Great with some crusty bread.

Winter Potage
A hearty combination of six vegetables gives layers of flavor to this soup. A squeeze of fresh lemon and a little cracked black pepper at the table brighten each bowl.

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
1 cup frozen petite green peas
1 tablespoon rice
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Lemon wedges (optional)
Cracked black pepper (optional)

Heat oil and butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek and celery; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Add broccoli, spinach, edamame, peas, rice, and red pepper. Stir in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.

Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Stir in juice, salt, and black pepper. Garnish with lemon wedges and cracked black pepper, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 152(25% from fat); FAT 4.2g (sat 0.9g,mono 1.5g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 10g; CHOLESTEROL 3mg; CALCIUM 101mg; SODIUM 540mg; FIBER 6.4g; IRON 3.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19.3g

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I''d post some veggie options for 4th of July...of course you can have a boxed Gardenburger but maybe you want to make your own....

ZUCCHINI SQUASH BURGERS
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetarian Vegetables
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 Zucchini (or any other
-variety of summer squash)
2 tb Oil
4 Garlic cloves
4 lg Onions, diced
2 Carrots, diced
1 Green pepper, diced
5 tb Tahini or peanut butter
3 tb Tamari
1/2 ts Paprika
1/2 ts Oregano
1/2 ts Basil
1/2 ts Sea salt
1/8 ts Red pepper (optional)
1/2 c Sesame seeds
1/2 c Sunflower seed meal
1 c Corn meal, or flour, or soy
-powder
Slice the zucchini and place in a large pot with 1/2 cup water, adding
enough squash to fill the pot. Steam over medium heat for 7 minutes, until
soft.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the garlic, onions,
carrots, celery, and pepper; saute for 7 minutes, till vegetables are
tender.
Drain the zucchini and mash well. Add the sauteed vegetables, tahini,
seasonings, sesame seeds, sunflower seed meal, and corn meal. The batter
should be thick not wet--add flour if needed.
Preheat oven to 375. Oil a cookie sheet. Using a tablespoon, make patties
and place them on the sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes on each side, until golden brown

Consumer Reports Vegetarian Burger
Recipe By : Net
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetarian Low-Fat
Burgers Grains
Legumes Low-Cal
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup barley, cooked
1 cup chickpeas, cooked
1/2 cup oatmeal -- raw
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Paprika
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Other spices to taste
1 Stalk celery
1 small Onion
1 Scallion
1 Clove garlic
Chili powder -- opt''l
Combine the barley, chickpeas, oatmeal, salt, paprika, soy sauce, black
pepper and other spices in a large bowl. In a blender, finely chop: celery,
onion, scallion and garlic. Add the chopped vegetables to the ingredients in
the bowl and mix thoroughly. Shape into patties, "sausages" or "meatballs".
Melt a little butter or margarine in a frying pan and cook over medium heat
for three to five minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Makes six
burgers.
Other grains, such as rice or cracked wheat, can be substituted for the
barley; soybeans, navy, pinto, or other beans can be substituted for the
chick-peas.
Nuts and seeds can also be added. Each CU burger contained 114 calories, with
5 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, 22 grams of carbohydrate, and 1.9
milligrams of iron. It lacked vitamin B-12 and was high in sodium (500
milligrams). If you''re watching your sodium intake, omit the soy sauce and
try chili or curry powder.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I just made this (from epicurious) for the second time last night and it is sooooo good! And so simple that I didn't even glance at the recipe this time, because all of the quantities are good a little more or a little less! (More is generally better of everything though
2.gif
- especially garlic)

SPAGHETTI ALLA CARBONARA DI ZUCCHINE

Carbonara is a legendary Roman pasta dish. Here's a version that includes sautéed zucchini. It's meat-free yet every bit as delicious as the egg-and-bacon original.

5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 pound medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 3 1/2 cups)

2 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
12 ounces spaghetti

6 large fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces, divided

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until pale golden, about 1 minute. Add zucchini and sauté until beginning to color, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; discard garlic. [Albi says: Don't discard the garlic! Leave it in!]

Meanwhile, whisk eggs and Parmesan in large bowl to blend. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; add to egg mixture and toss to coat (heat from pasta will cook eggs). [Or you can just crack the eggs right into the cooked pasta, dump in the cheese, and mix it all quickly in the pot.]

Add zucchini mixture and half of basil to pasta; stir gently to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining basil and serve.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Bon Appétit
May 2005

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results