shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on purchases (ex. stroller) with baby #2 in mind

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
For anyone who can provide thoughts on this subject, I'm curious what your opinion is on making purchases for a first baby, based on the idea of eventually having 2 kids. I'm 35 weeks along with our first, and I know nothing is guaranteed, but we do hopefully want to have another child relatively close to this one (i.e. not wait 3-4 years).

This question is mainly related to a stroller decision, but I'd welcome thoughts on other purchases in general too. We had originally settled on the Baby Jogger City Elite. Love the tires, how it handles, and all the features - feels very good to us and suits our anticipated needs. But I've started wondering if $400 (or whatever the price may be with a store discount coupon) is too much for a single stroller, given our hope to expand. I know we'd love the Elite for however long we use it, but I have the second child thought in the back of my mind, and wonder if we should go ahead now with something like the City Select instead - it at least has many of the same features of the Elite, although not quite as all-terrain in my opinion. I know we could sell the Elite down the road and recoup some of the cost, but why not go ahead and do the Select? Seems more cost-effective if there was a second child. Is it silly to pay $100 more now for something based on "possible" future family growth? I do like that the Select can be used as a single, and in all those various positions, even when you have 2 kids and only take one out with you - obviously we wouldn't go buy a full double side by side stroller right now. But we would certainly go for the Elite now if we didn't have the hopes for the family growing, since it's $100 less and perhaps slightly more suited to our multiple uses for it.

Just looking for some discussion for either direction. Thanks! :))

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Re: Thoughts on purchases (ex. stroller) with baby #2 in min

Luvthemstrawberries, are you in the city or the 'burbs (or rural)? My urban friends have told me they still use their single stroller all the time. They wear one, push one. Or have the nanny take one stroller, then use the other for the other kid, or use one stroller per parent. They use the double, too, but still prefer to have a full-size and umbrella single stroller. My suburban friends use their single strollers less often--if they're going out, they generally just take the one double stroller. Some of the moms in my mom grouop who are having #2 plan to put a double in one vehicle and a single in the other vehicle (for when one parent is just taking one kid).

I say get the single stroller you want for now...you'll use it all the time and will get good use out of it for a couple of years. Worst case scenario is that you won't need it after #2 and end up selling it on craigslist.

I have a full-size (Bumbleride Indie) and umbrella (Uppababy G-luxe) and plan to keep them both after baby #2.

As for everything else--my plan was just to make sure everything I bought was gender neutral. The pack and plays, bouncy seat, swing, infant car seat, soft carrier, etc. are all gender neutral so if we have a boy next, I'll just re-use them. Really the double stroller is one of the few things I'll need.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

I am 36 weeks now and we had a similar thought process. We went with the Britax B-Ready because the main seat can go up to 55 lbs vs. 45 lbs with the City Select and we thought that would give us more wiggle room depending on the age gap with #2. I did prefer the stadium seating of the City Select so it was a tough choice. We also decided on this because I had a friend that felt like she wasted so much money by having to buy a whole new stroller when they had the second baby.

We also chose to have everything gender neutral except clothes, like NEL. That said people still bought us some girly things. If we have a little boy next time he will just have to be OK with a couple pink and lavender cloth diapers!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock

indecisive|1357594885|3349775 said:
I am 36 weeks now and we had a similar thought process. We went with the Britax B-Ready because the main seat can go up to 55 lbs vs. 45 lbs with the City Select and we thought that would give us more wiggle room depending on the age gap with #2. I did prefer the stadium seating of the City Select so it was a tough choice. We also decided on this because I had a friend that felt like she wasted so much money by having to buy a whole new stroller when they had the second baby.

We also chose to have everything gender neutral except clothes, like NEL. That said people still bought us some girly things. If we have a little boy next time he will just have to be OK with a couple pink and lavender cloth diapers!

we also chose the britax b-ready stroller ( during the "buy a stroller, get a free infant seat" event). right now, we think we are one & done but you never know & we liked the flexibility. also, w/the free infant seat, the travel system was in our budget. we've used it a few times since E was born last month & are very pleased. I believe they run the sale semi-annually in the spring (feb is sticking in my head) & fall-- don't quote me on that, though ;-)

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock

lulu66|1357637513|3350113 said:
indecisive|1357594885|3349775 said:

we also chose the britax b-ready stroller ( during the "buy a stroller, get a free infant seat" event). right now, we think we are one & done but you never know & we liked the flexibility. also, w/the free infant seat, the travel system was in our budget. we've used it a few times since E was born last month & are very pleased. I believe they run the sale semi-annually in the spring (feb is sticking in my head) & fall-- don't quote me on that, though ;-)

That is good to hear you like it! I got my stroller and carseat at my shower but that free ride thing is such a good deal! I think they had one of those in July but I wasn't far enough along to be shopping. Britax also has a program where you can get a free convertible car seat if you have purchase other Britax products. We had already purchase the car seat, stroller, extra base for my husbands car, and body pillow so all we needed to do was buy a carrier (we gave it to a pregnant friend) and we get a free Boulevard car seat. It ended up being a really good deal.

http://www.britaxusa.com/registryrewards

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

NEL - We're definitely not in an urban environment. I'd say we're somewhere between suburban and even a little rural thrown in there some days, depending on where we go. But mostly suburban - driving everywhere and parking. I guess it's just difficult to know now how much you'd use a single stroller if there were 2 kids, plus a lot can change in those years in terms of lifestyle, jobs, etc. too and who's doing what in the family.

Definitely good thoughts from you guys on the gender neutral gear though - we are certainly keeping things that way since #1 now is a surprise, and also to be able to use items for future children.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

UppaBaby Vista, Phil & Ted Explorer and Mutsy 4 Rider also have the option of adding a second seat. I don't have any of those. They didn't have them when I had my first, and I wasn't going to buy a new stroller after I had my 2nd. We never got a double. It just seems like a pain to push. We did a lot of baby wearing/carrying with one stroller, or DH pushed one and I pushed the other (we had a single and and umbrella). Our kids are 18 months apart. They hardly wanted to sit in the stroller anymore once they can run. With that said, we have a cousin who still pushes her two DDs (4 and 5) in a double stroller.

yellowducky

Rough_Rock

I also gave this some thought -- I'm about 38 weeks with our first and in my mid-early 30s, if that makes sense, with hopes for a 2-child family in the near future. We ended up going with the Uppababy Vista since it has the flexibility to add a rumble seat/ride along board. However, I think if you truly want an expandable option, the Britax stroller may be a better bet than the Vista. It seems that the Britax has more flexible 2-seat configurations than the Vista. (I plan on baby wearing in the future anyway, so I wasn't totally intent on using the stroller extensively for 2 small children.) The Britax stroller IS pretty similar to the Vista except it's a little longer in one direction and not quite as easy to handle due to the wheel "fenders" and generally cheaper since it comes pared down (i.e., with fewer accessories). I looked at the City Jogger as well but preferred the 4th wheel, recline mechanism, and basket of the Vista, but I have a few friends who love their City Joggers. Another thing to consider is that the higher end strollers usually maintain their value better, so if you ever are in the situation of having to replace your single with a double stroller, your single stroller may not be a total loss in the transaction. HTH!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

My kids are 30 months apart in age and we did not get a double stroller. Our older one walked or we carried the younger one in a carrier when they were young.

We did get a double stroller for when we go running. But we have only used it 2-3 times for non-running excursions.

If you are in and out of the car a lot then I recommend a really really light weight stroller for the baby and then let the older kiddo walk.

So me personally, I would not get a double stroller.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer, I hope you pop back in. Our kids will be 30 months apart as well and we're on the fence about the double stroller. We figured we would decide once the baby arrives. How do you keep Hunter *in-check* without the stroller? Nolan is usually very good when he walks and sometimes we don't even bring the stroller (and, if we do, it holds stuff not him) but I feel like there could be times when I need to strap him in! I just have visions of chasing my 3 year old with the baby in the stroller! :lol:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock

If you are planning to have your kids less than 2 years apart I would get a double. I have the Select (we have just the one baby so far!) and it it's one of the only in-line doubles I see actually being used as a double over here - there are plenty available, but I think they're just too unwieldy/heavy/difficult to position/second seat not a "full" seat/etc. Keep in mind that I'm in Australia and that the Vista is not available here (but that doesn't have a proper second seat the same as the first, either).

I don't think it's reasonable to expect to get an under-2yo to walk everywhere. 2 strollers comes with its own set of problems. You could wear the smaller bub and push the older one but that's not necessarily for everyone.

If/when the time comes, if our little girl is not happily walking everywhere yet when we have our second, I'll put a capsule on the Select as a second option for a couple of months and then see how we go from there. I also like babywearing so that's the other option for us.

We also have a second stroller - the City Mini - for trips and as my "car stroller".

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

puppmom|1357736521|3351156 said:
Dreamer, I hope you pop back in. Our kids will be 30 months apart as well and we're on the fence about the double stroller. We figured we would decide once the baby arrives. How do you keep Hunter *in-check* without the stroller? Nolan is usually very good when he walks and sometimes we don't even bring the stroller (and, if we do, it holds stuff not him) but I feel like there could be times when I need to strap him in! I just have visions of chasing my 3 year old with the baby in the stroller! :lol:

In the early times I wore Ryder in a carrier and put Hunter in the stroller.

But I guess I should note that going out with both kids was a weekend thing. I was home with Ryder for 10 months, but Hunter was in daycare/preschool still, so I did not wrangle them both so often.

I think the wild factor is exactly why my husband did not go out with both kids alone for a long time ;)) I did it and it was fine. I don't recall majoy problems. By the time R was too big to wear, H was in control and could walk. I just found all the double strollers too big and ridiculous that they would not have helped me any -- they are too unwieldy for the mall, and at the park the kids play, and at the grocery store Hunter rode the cart and I carried R in the ergo.

I can think of one time when I was out that having a single stroller was a problem: Hunter kept stalling and looking at the displays in a Hallmark store. He was about three. I did the whole, "hunter, if you don't come here I am picking you up. 1 -2 - 3..." Then I heaved a big sigh and had to follow through on my threat. So I carried my screaming wild animal three year old out of the store and out to the car while I pushed the baby in the stroller. He was very heavy and I had to sling him over my shoulder to manage, and it was a long walk, but I did it ;)) ETA: Another time I had no stroller and carried the wild three year old with the baby strapped to me too! haha, now THAT was fun! And a good workout.

So yeah, not for everyone. But at the least my advice would be to wait until the baby is born and see what you need then.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have 21 months between my girls & were in the same situation - I was 34 when I had baby no. 1 & intended to have another as soon as we felt ready. We bought a Bugaboo Bee in yellow & I have used it to death :bigsmile: Before baby no. 2 was born we bought the boogie board that clips on the back, which we used in the first instance for quite some time. We did end up buying the Mini City Jogger Double, which was brilliant, but we only used it for a period of about 6 months. When daughter no. 1 hit almost 3 years, she didn't want to be in a pram anymore & we reverted back to the Bee with the boogie board on for if she felt tired. Daughter no. 2 turns 2 next week & no. 1 turns 4 in March & the double, although great & it served its purpose, was sold in the summer as it was gathering dust.

So in a round about sort of way, I am saying invest in a good single pram, as you will walk it into the ground :D

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock

Hi I am a stroller junkie! No expert but love online shopping for them. For my first who is now 4 I bought the uppababy which I loved. Comes with bassinet but he didn't like laying flat so we didn't really get to use it too much. But still convenient and I plan to use it for my current pregnancy. I am having twins and the offering For twins are expensive or huge or both. Plus believe it or not my 4 year old still asks for the stroller a lot! ( I just use an umbrella now though). So for new preg I decided to try rumble seat on uppababy us I found a Phil and teds dash with second seat at a surplus place that I am going to try and use for twins. It's not ideal but my plan is to use bassinet for both while they are young or wear one, then when they have head control move them to the other seats.
Soooooo if I had two close together(not twins) I would consider one that can add the second seat but only when u choose to- like the britax b ready. I loved that baby city jogger with option for second seat but you should know that if you wanted to use bassinet in the beginning you need equipment from the second seat to make it work so that's a commitment to the second seat early. Good luck :)

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

Thank you all for the replies so far - I am loving the different perspectives, it is so helpful!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock

Pave - you don't need the 2nd seat to use the Select as a single pram with a bassinet, only if you want to use a bassinet for the second baby whilst the 1st is in a seat. Or is that what you meant? The bassinet "frame" is actually the seat frame, and when you buy the bassinet you just buy the fabric cover and a bit of frame support that goes around the bottom, hence no seat = no bassinet.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock

Pancake thanks for clarifying you are right. I think I was thinking of two kids at once...do u have that one? how is it?

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

Well we went by the store yesterday to check out the City Select, just out of curiosity - I wanted to push it and get a feel for it, since the City Elite basically pushes like a dream in my opinion. I also wanted to see all the different variations the Select is capable of. I have to admit that the ability to have the seat face forward or backward, turn the infant seat forward or backward, and even do the same thing with all these back and forth combinations once a second seat is added - all that is really neat. With the Elite, you basically can put the infant seat in facing you, and once they use the stroller seat, they face out - no variations. But is that really even necessary?

My husband was with me, and honestly, we both did not like the feel of the Elite as much - it didn't push quite as nicely, the 4 tires didn't feel as good as the 3 on the Elite, and he still really prefers the all 3 larger tires on the Elite too. The handle on the Select didn't feel as quality in my opinion, even though the stroller itself costs more.

He also gets my point about thinking into the future, but still isn't crazy about buying something based on a future possibility that always has the chance of not happening if we're not blessed with another one. He also had a good point that he doesn't really even know how much we're going to use a stroller anyway - we don't plan on hauling it out for every quick trip into the grocery store, and we very rarely do retail shopping. We'd mainly use it on family outings and trips, walks/parks, and random trips to the mall. All other quick in and out trips will probably be us taking the carrier (child eventually) and putting it in the main cart basket, or I do hope to do well with babywearing and using a wrap/carrier (even though the husband rolls his eyes every time I mention that - he's not quite as into that as me, but also not as exposed/up to date on it either). Who knows, I may end up wearing on short walks and similar trips too if I like it enough, so who knows how much stroller use we'll actually get - I guess it's one of those things you really don't know until you just get into it and see.

So, long story short, I guess we still haven't made a final decision - he's going to look online at the Select some and get familiar with it - yesterday was the first time either of us had seen it in person, but I'd done a good bit of online looking. But if I had to guess right this second, we'd be going with the Elite (the single stroller) just based on lack of knowledge of how we'll even use a stroller, and that we like it better overall anyway. We'll see.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results