shape
carat
color
clarity

The pregnancy question only PS can answer ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do you do with your jewelry when you're in labor?

Given IV fluids and swelling, I'm figuring rings should stay home, but what about pendants, bracelets, and, most of all, earrings? Because I'm on blood thinners, my 9-months-ago-birthday piercings still haven't healed completely, and I'm nervous about them closing up in the 48 hours or whatever that I'm in-hospital. Your thoughts?

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Circe - Sad to say, all jewelry stays at home for the delivery - if you ended up needing a c-section all jewelry would have to come off then and you would hate to risk having it misplaced and potentially lost or stolen.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay, good to know - thanks, NB. Looks like I'm ordering some stainless steel studs and crossing my fingers, then. I know this is a little thing in the grand scheme of things - it just helps me to micromanage little controllable issues in the face of bigger ones! And you don't get much littler than piercing studs ... :cheeky:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I left all mine at home. Rings ceased to fit at 6 months pregnant anyway!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I wore my earrings, nose ring and necklace all through labor and delivery...I was worried about having to take my nose ring out since it was relatively new piercing, but there was no problem at all.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I wore all my rings. I basically went straight from work since my water broke at 36 weeks.

Unfortunately, the shank of my e-ring was horribly bent from gripping the labor bar to aid in (6 hours of) pushing. I don't remember if they removed them for my stat section.

In retrospect, I would have left them on my sister's hand or hubby's pocket.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had wedding ring on thru most of the labor, but with the IV my hands started to swell and it got to tight so I gave it to my hubby who took it home, so you are best just to leave them there to begin with :wink2:

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
With my son I was sent to L&D right from my doctor's office (which was at the hospital) so I wore my jewelry the entire time. I had on earrings and my wedding set.

With my daughter I was taken via ambulance to the hospital and had on only a plain wedding band, which stayed on during the emergency c-section. At that moment the ring was the last thing on anyone's mind.

If you opt for the scheduled c-section or are induced I'd leave everything at home. One less thing to worry about while you're birthing and becoming a mom.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not wear rings but had earrings on I am pretty sure!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kept my nose ring in but, to be honest, it's because I forgot it was even there and my kid popped out before we could catch our breath. If you end up getting a c-section, they may make you ditch everything. It depends on how strict the doc and anesthesiologist are...so I guess it's better to leave it all at home.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the title of this thread very amusing. The young mother of today has to worry about things like how pregnancy, labor, and delivery will affect her nose piercing! And, even weirder, I can relate to it since I, who did not have my ears pierced until I was 48, spend half my life in tattoo parlours now watching my daughter get herself repierced in all the places from which she had piercings removed!

Let me reassure you, at least, that if any place needs to be repierced that it can probably be done. I cannot give you a 100% guarantee, mind you. I am sure that there are some circumstances in which an area cannot be repierced. But in most circumstances a repiercing can be done...if not in the exact same place, then in in another area where the piercing looks similar. It may mean a shift of millimeters; a shift of sides of the nose; a shift from above or under the bellybutton (we've done both at least twice); but usually there is a way with a healthy person.

I loathe piercings. I am just giving my impression of what I have seen. I do not recommend them. I have seen my daughter's get infected, although she is healthy and the infections were always very local and contained.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I left my rings at home. At 9 months pregnant, they were a little tight anyway. I didn't have any jewelry on at all. I guess it never even crossed my mind.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
I'd double check with your doc, but I had an emergency c-section, and was wearing 2 pendants at the time. I had left my rings at home because my hands were swollen (and got worse after the surgery). No one told me I shouldn't be wearing metal...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went in just wearing my w-band and that was it...it stayed on and it was ok but we had a v-birth. I would leave the earrings at home, you could always have the holes re-pierced if necessary right?

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I wore everything - but I also went over to be induced straight from my doctor's office. I did take off my wedding and erings and put them on my necklace for safekeeping once they started the IV, just in case I got more swollen. I figured if I needed a C/S, I'd give DH my necklace to wear, and all my jewelry would be safe. I don't think they'd make you take earrings out - at least I would see no good reason for it. Plenty of people come to my OR with rings or bracelets on that can't come off. I think mostly they don't want to be worried about a patient claiming that the piece got stolen while they were under anesthesia. If the ring won't come off or they don't want to remove earrings, a piece of tape goes over it and that's all.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, all of my pretties stayed at home. :(( At around 8 months I could no longer wear my rings. Once I went on maternity leave about 2 weeks before I delivered, I was so unclomfortable that I stayed in t shirts and sweats all day, so I didn't really wear any. Plus, once my contractions got bad and I was ready to leave for the hospital, I was in too much pain to make sure I looked good and had my jewelry on. lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results