shape
carat
color
clarity

The Just Barely Preggo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 2:29:16 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
So what are the stats on miscarriage in the early months? I know that once you see the heartbeat it drops to like 3% (or so I read), but it is like 25% before that?? I guess there aren''t any really good stats...

Does anyone have a pregnancy tracking website they like? I haven''t seen any good ones yet that aren''t full of rainbows and sunshine and ''most miraculous time in your life'' talk which I am not sure I can deal with...
25.gif
1 in 5 - uggh!

I thought after HB it went to 10% or less - It was a while ago.= though.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 4:29:21 PM
Indy you crack me up! I''m okay with not having a tail, I like wearing skirts and somehow I think that the tail would complicate things!
3.gif

So I now have a midwife! Yippee! They are so non-invasive... my first appointment will be at 10 weeks, but we get to go to an information session at the clinic on July 7, so that should be fun. The cool thing is that we managed to get in with the same midwife who delivered our close friends'' two babies. At least she will know where we live, since we are about 1 block away from those friends
2.gif
. I am happy with a non-invasive approach, but it is a little odd to have zero medical contact until 10 weeks. They don''t even need to see me for a blood test, they just asked if I took an hpt and said, ''That''s fine then!''

My only ''symptom'' so far has been an interesting pulling/stretching feeling around my uterus. I think that period cramps feel like someone is holding my uterus in their fist and squeeeeeezing... this feels more like someone attached a bunch of little threads to my uterus and is gently pulling them to the sides. I guess that is accurate since apparently this feeling is from the ligaments stretching. Otherwise, no symptoms yet (knock wood), but then again I''m only like 4 weeks along
20.gif
I guess I shouldn''t get excited about how ''easy'' it is yet, right?? haha
Round ligament pain.

Some women get benched for it.

I had it around 14 wks. Its like a twingy dull achy pain around the inner part of your hips.

Remember everything is stretching and all ligaments are getting loosey gosey from hormones.

That''s why some women get carpal tunnel and ankle injuries easier.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 6:40:52 PM
Erika : glad you found this thread! Nerdy preggo unite! As for the insomnia, one of the mommies on the preggo thread mentioned that her Doc said high estrogen can cause insomnia, so that could be contributing since estrogen soars in the first stages of pregnancy. Anxiety also causes that type of insomnia (depression makes is hard to FALL asleep, anxiety hard to STAY asleep_. Last week during the 2ww I woke every morning at 3am, 4am, and 6am and couldn;t go back to sleep. Now that we got the BFP I slept like a baby! Are you feeling particularly anxious about this whole process?

Mela I am sure you will be back soon. I read on a site somewhere that women often get preggo very quickly after an early m/c since the body is very prepared for being preggo... all the progesterone really preps you for implantation etc. And I think that ''Bojangles'' takes the prize for names. I thought Hoonan Banana was a good name, but yours is better.

Hubby is really tickled about the whole thing. Everytime he leaves (like in the morning for work or just now to get his hair cut) he pats or kisses my stomach and says, ''Bye bye little Hoonan!'' which is really funny. We are both being autiously optimistic but we are emotional savourers, so we want to enjoy this time no matter what happens in the future.

I usually eat a very balanced diet, but the excercise has always been a challenge for me, to be honest. We get on the wagon and will go to the gym regularly, but then we fall off and it taked hurculean efforts to get in the habit again. This time has been 2 months off the gym wagon
7.gif
. I asked my friend to start a walking club at lunch time with me so that I can work in more incidental excercise... they recommend 30 - 60 minutes of activity every day, so that will get me the 30 minutes at leasr. Then hubby and I will go to the gym 3 days for some more intense cardio (I like to do hill intervals on the treadmill) and some light weights. I want an unmedicated home birth so that means I need to be as healthy as possible to make it through the ordeal!
Oh DD - I know my bias will show but please think about this carefully.

I would hate to hear you had any complications and all they could do for you was give oxygen.

Anyway, I''ll keep my mouth shut on the whole hospital vs. birthing center vs. home, etc. thing as it''s not my place.

If anyone would like info. about my experiences having worked OB/NICU I''d be glad to share.

I hope that wasn''t too pushy......just out of concern that''s all.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 10:48:42 PM
Author: erica k
Thanks for the blog link, DD.

It''s so true, there we were talking about what ifs and when is best, and now we''re on the same track to becoming parents! It''s so wonderful that your post-doc offers 12 months maternity leave. I''m actually relieved that the baby will be old enough to leave at home if I need to do a bit of traveling for interviews during my final year of school. It would be lovely to have a post-doc, but they seem to be the exception to the rule for my colleagues.

Shoot, I should really call the health center tomorrow and set up an appointment.

I''m having a hard time figuring out how many weeks along I am. I''m CD31, but only around 15 DPO and 19 DP-BDing. Do doctors and midwives normally go with the LMP? Do they even care about when I likely O''d, and when I last BD''d?

Well, if this is the least of my confusion, then I guess I''m in good shape right now.
Yes. LMP is the guideline and the first ultrasounds help to confirm EDD.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 11:20:20 PM
On a side note, why have I been feeling so fat and bloated? I''m well hydrated, avoid salty foods, haven''t increased my food intake, and am exercising just as much as usual. Sigh.

Is anyone else feeling a bit on the ''large'' side during these early weeks? It''s like I''m having a really bad week of PMS...
39.gif

I mean, I checked my measurements, and it''s not like I''ve gained inches anywhere. I just feel ''different'' and not as svelte as I am accustomed to.
H2o gain and I mean gain.

It will continue until you feel like a house.

After delivery I lost like 8 lbs. of pure fluids.

Your body is preparing for the biggest event of it''s life and is going to fulfill it''s genetic destiny (jeeze I sound like I''m in Star Wars, Luke........)

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
DD--

I appreciate this thread very much! I also like dropping by the preggo thread, too. But right now I''m in a weird emotional state where I don''t feel quite ready to celebrate. I agree, the preggo thread can be overwhelming, and I have such a hard time keeping track of everyone. Anyway, I don''t see this as a splinter group. It''s more like an interstitial space for those who are dipping their toes cautiously in the preggo pool. That is, I''m not super excited, nor am I super anxious. I don''t know if things are going well, and that makes me hesitant to think actively about ''pregnant'' stuff.

Lisa--

Thanks for dropping by! I really do appreciate everyone''s support and enthusiasm.

the other Lisa--

I think I''m going to go with a midwife and doula, but in a hospital setting. I think if you live close to a hospital and are working with a responsible midwife who knows when to move you (in time) to a hospital, then a planned homebirth should be fine. It''s so interesting to hear about such different perspectives. I knew a 2nd year resident who shuddered at the thought of water births and told my friend that it was a horrible idea. My friend''s reaction was less than positive, mainly because she already believes that water births and birthing centers are the way to go. I''m not going to judge either way. It''s best to be as informed as possible, that''s all.

I would like a minimalist delivery in an ideal world and will hopefully work with someone whom I trust to suggest medical interventions only when absolutely necessary.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:23:35 AM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
Date: 6/19/2008 11:20:20 PM

On a side note, why have I been feeling so fat and bloated? I''m well hydrated, avoid salty foods, haven''t increased my food intake, and am exercising just as much as usual. Sigh.

Is anyone else feeling a bit on the ''large'' side during these early weeks? It''s like I''m having a really bad week of PMS...
39.gif

I mean, I checked my measurements, and it''s not like I''ve gained inches anywhere. I just feel ''different'' and not as svelte as I am accustomed to.
H2o gain and I mean gain.

It will continue until you feel like a house.

After delivery I lost like 8 lbs. of pure fluids.

Your body is preparing for the biggest event of it''s life and is going to fulfill it''s genetic destiny (jeeze I sound like I''m in Star Wars, Luke........)

Too funny, Lisa!

So the fluid gain begins this early in the game? Well, I guess I''ll have to resign myself to feeling like a water balloon.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bloat starts early. I had a belly before I had a belly if that makes any sense. Your body does all sorts of amazing things, it''s all good. But takes time getting used to.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:28:42 AM
DD--

I appreciate this thread very much! I also like dropping by the preggo thread, too. But right now I''m in a weird emotional state where I don''t feel quite ready to celebrate. I agree, the preggo thread can be overwhelming, and I have such a hard time keeping track of everyone. Anyway, I don''t see this as a splinter group. It''s more like an interstitial space for those who are dipping their toes cautiously in the preggo pool. That is, I''m not super excited, nor am I super anxious. I don''t know if things are going well, and that makes me hesitant to think actively about ''pregnant'' stuff.

Lisa--

Thanks for dropping by! I really do appreciate everyone''s support and enthusiasm.

the other Lisa--

I think I''m going to go with a midwife and doula, but in a hospital setting. I think if you live close to a hospital and are working with a responsible midwife who knows when to move you (in time) to a hospital, then a planned homebirth should be fine. It''s so interesting to hear about such different perspectives. I knew a 2nd year resident who shuddered at the thought of water births and told my friend that it was a horrible idea. My friend''s reaction was less than positive, mainly because she already believes that water births and birthing centers are the way to go. I''m not going to judge either way. It''s best to be as informed as possible, that''s all.

I would like a minimalist delivery in an ideal world and will hopefully work with someone whom I trust to suggest medical interventions only when absolutely necessary.
So relieved to hear this.....I like the balanced approach!

As for being minutes away from the hosp. these mins. can be critical to all involved.

Even 1 min. of infant annoxia can be devestating and w/o monitoring how will you know?

What about fetal stress - again no fetal monitoring. If you bleed and need transfusing where are they gonna do that?

I had a contraction band and Olivia''s heart rate was all over the place (decels).

When they got in there she was sunny-side up w/ the cord wrapped around her body and stuck permanently in that contraction band.

They also thought she had mec''d (meconium - poop) in utero from the stress of labor and could have aspirated it. She didn''t - phew.

But NICU was standing nearby and checked her out thouroughly.

If it was 100 yrs ago we would have both died in childbirth.

And complications are not age specific.

Most deliveries go textbook but what if????

Don''t get me wrong I love the idea of having a doula or midwife at the hospital w/ the jacuzzi but having medical staff
nearby can make all the difference in the world.

And they won''t even push drugs on you if you don''t want them. But I highly recommend them.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya on the water retention thing. I''ve got that going on already too.

I''ve decided not to start thinking earnestly about the actual birth process until The Cub is into the safety zone. My guess, though, is that I''ll want to be in a hospital, but with a midwife or doula. I have this totally irrational thing about doctors and ''being a patient'', but at the same time, I would way rather be somewhere where doctors were around... just in case.

Oh, that and the fact that I''m going to be staying in someone else''s furnished home at the time. Nothing says ''You lost your security deposit'' like giving birth on someone else''s bed!
31.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Lisa: how''re the follicle triplets? When will you know?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 7:38:31 AM
Author: Independent Gal
I hear ya on the water retention thing. I''ve got that going on already too.

I''ve decided not to start thinking earnestly about the actual birth process until The Cub is into the safety zone. My guess, though, is that I''ll want to be in a hospital, but with a midwife or doula. I have this totally irrational thing about doctors and ''being a patient'', but at the same time, I would way rather be somewhere where doctors were around... just in case.

Oh, that and the fact that I''m going to be staying in someone else''s furnished home at the time. Nothing says ''You lost your security deposit'' like giving birth on someone else''s bed!
31.gif
I may do the same thing, right now I am not 100% sure, I''ll probably make the final decision a month or so before the birth.

Oh, and ewwww... LOL!

As to water retention of whatever, I am there too. I feel like I already have a little pot belly... now, I never have had a totally flat stomach like you two, but it still feels bigger right now! My weight is the same though... funny.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Good Morning Preggos!!!

It was a blitzkrieg (sp) of posts last night, sorry I couldn't help myself. Hormones!

It was so exciting to read each post as I had wondered or felt the exact same things!

The follies are on-off twinging. I have been so exhausted like some of you guys.

Making 3 eggs is hard work and today is my US to see where we are.

My suspicion is that we may trigger tonight as RE has me off the shots as of today. On to big needle HCG!

I've been reading all about HOM (High Order Multiples) - OY!

Watch none will take........

PS - I was embarrassed to tell you guys or even DH but the other night I actually poked myself twice w/ the needle pen
emembarrassed.gif

I forgot to set the dial to the right amt. and in it went. Maybe I'm a sadist who's flying high on FSH!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
OK so now I get to post on the "Mommie Thread too!!!"

I feel like a dog peeing all over the place - TTC Thread, Barely Thread, Mommy Thread.
3.gif

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa--
Good luck with your three follicles and that huge needle! I hope that this cycle is ''The One'' (or should I say, ''Three'') for you!

So many threads everywhere! There seems to be a variety of opinions about the new threads, but I really like it. It''s not like we''re going to turn into gangsters defending our turfs!

Indy--
The thought of possibly giving birth in someone''s furnished apartment is both anxiety-inducing and hilarious. Luckily, your town is small enough that you''ll probably be able to get to the hospital in time. My hospital is across the river and down a winding road. Hmm, I''ll have to give this more thought in a month or so when I feel more secure about things.

DD--
Water retention stinks big time! And I have twinges of cramps off and on all day, so something down there apparently doesn''t want me to forget that it''s there.
19.gif

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the perspective guys..you''re right i really can''t do much except hope for the best so i need to chill.

indy- i was TOTALLY craving spicy thai noodles a few wks ago too. it was the ONLY food i could eat without hurling. yummm.

erica- yay for beantown babies!

dreamer- yes i''m 8 weeks...at the tailend of that too so i guess i''m furthest along here right now.

the bloat has more than set in. i''m thinking of getting a bella band so i can wear all of my pants without feeling like i''m constricting jellybean.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
sbde--
8 weeks is terrific!

Are you going to buy maternity denim, or are you going to try the bella band for the duration?

I''m such a clothing fanatic, the thought of not being able to fit into my lovely things during and after this is making me a little antsy.
32.gif

Well, I guess I''m getting ahead of myself here. I need to take it one day at a time. Whatever happens, well, I don''t really have control over much of anything except taking care of myself, so if it sticks, that''s wonderful, if it doesn''t, it''s probably for the best.

When are we supposed to feel more confident about things? 12 weeks? (if so, you''re almost there!)

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
erica, i'm going to try the bella band for a while but likely not the duration of the pregnancy. come on..here's an excuse to buy a whole new wardrobe lol!!

so question for you all. what have you given up/changed so far, when starting to TTC or ever since you got the BFP?

- i was an avid tea drinker, to the point where i'd have headaches if i didn't have my morning cup but i quit cold turkey a few mos ago (i still miss it!).
- i've stopped having the caffiene free herbal tazo teas ...just because dr's aren't sure how some of the exotic herbs affect pregnancy.
- never had a drop of alcohol in my life, so that was no change for me
- i've been trying to have at least 3-4 servings of fruits or veggies each day.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I've given up beer, wine, scotch, port, crazy cuban cocktails, and calvados.

I've cut down to half a cup of coffee a day (hoping to ween myself further? I can't decide if I should or not, but I guess it's better to play it safe.)

I've really gone off toxic chemicals too. No more drinking clorox for me! Not while pregnant!

Oh, and the sushi.

I'm going to bed an hour earlier.

Other than that, life continues apace. I was eating pretty healthy already, and working out. So now I'm just doing those things with a new sense of purpose.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Re the wardrobe... I looooove nice clothes, so this might be tough. But my plan is to see how much of my current stuff might get me through... stuff that''s got a babydoll cut, etc. Then I''ll get a few staple pieces and 3 or 4 fab pieces to dress it up. I may use eBay, since we''re going to be CRAZY broke next year from paying rent in two places, plus covering off some of our condo (we have tenants lined up, but we let it at below cost).

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
NOICE changes girls!!

Another thing to consider is deli meats and things like pepperoni. It's debatable, but I had obstained from these for two reasons; bacteria (in the deli meats) and nitrates in the cured meats like salami/pepperoni etc. I dont know if that was overkill, but I figure nitrates can't be great, so why not obstain. That was just me...grain of salt.
17.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's overkill. Nitrates, according to my 'What to Expect' book, are in the 'definitely toxic' category, not the 'possibly toxic' category.

What's 'noice'? no ice? why?
33.gif
I didn't know that.

ETA: OHHHH! You mean "NICE changes girls." OK. Slowpoke here's got it.
25.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the list of additives classed as ''Unsafe'' even at levels you might eat in a regular serving:

acesulfamine potassium
artificial colorings (blue 1, blue2, green 3, red 3, yellow 6);
cyclamate
Olestra (yuck!)
potassium bromate
propyl gallate
saccharin
sodium nitrite
sodium nitrate

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I am loser but I am TOTALLY looking forward to preggo clothing! Everytime I walk by the stores they have really pretty things that flatter my body type (empire waists etc), and who doesn''t want to wear pants with a stretchy waistband? I plan to buy and entire wardrobe. My friend limited what they bought and wore hand-me-downs, and I think they suffered a little for that. I wan''t to relish being as big as a whale and I plan to dress wonderfully!

As for what I have given up:

Alcohol
ALL caffeine sources (including pop)
any artificial sweeteners
sweets and sugary things--seem to play havoc on my blood sugar these last few days
sprouts (can have a bad bacteria)
unpasteurized cheeses (same reason)
and I''m vegetarian but you should avoid luncheon meats, raw fish, and shellfish for the same bacteria reasons

What I have added:
My multivitimins, which include EFAs and folic acid and vitimin D, all important for baby growth
following Canada''s food guide for nutritional balance

I find I am totally craving black beans these days... they are just soooo satisfying! I had them for dinner the last two nights! LOL!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When did/will you ladies tell people about your pregnancy? I know you had a thread about this Indy, but I am struggling. I have told my inner circle of female friends who knew I was TTC, DH told a couple of his work friends who also knew we were TTC, but we haven''t told out families yet nor have we told many other close friends. I really want to tell people, but on the other hand that would really really make it real and I am not sure I am ready yet for all the hoopla that will ensue... I guess I am a sort of private person and I don''t think I would want to deal with everyones hurt and pain if something were to happen.

Mela, if you don''t mind sharing, how public had you gone with your pregnancy before your m/c and did you find it helpful that those people knew or did you find it made things worse with certain people?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Funny you should say that, DD, because yesterday, I ate an entire tin of black beans (with chilis and grated cheese). They are very high in iron, and you need EXTRA iron because it conducts oxygen to the Hoonan(?)''s brain.

We''ve told our folks, and I told my BFF, and that''s it. After the initial excitement wore off, I don''t feel in a rush to tell people. I''ll tell my other good friends after the heartbeat, though. Y''know, gradually, as I happen to chat with them.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:57:14 PM

Mela, if you don't mind sharing, how public had you gone with your pregnancy before your m/c and did you find it helpful that those people knew or did you find it made things worse with certain people?
Dreamer - I don't mind sharing :) We told both of our parents and siblings; and I told my tight inner-circle of girlfriends (we get together at least once a week for wine and girl-time which would have been impossible to fake). I told one friend at work who is also TTC, and she was heartbroken for me (natch) but she's been covering for me at work while I recover, so it's GREAT!!! My DH told a couple of his best friends, and other than that we kept it on the DL. Funny thing is, after I m/c, I've ended up telling a few people who didnt even know i was preggers, and THEY ended up sharing their m/c experience which I didn't know about. It's amazing how once you open up to people, they open up to you. I learned some great info from my DH coworker who is now pregnant after a m/c before Xmas. DH ended up telling her because he's been off work with me since the m/c and she called me yesterday from the office to 'talk'. she was an incredible wealth of knowledge and I felt so much better talking to her and hearing how happy she is now that she is preggs again. She miscarried at the end of Nov and was preggers again in Feb. THAT is what I call inspiring! :)

hopefully, god willing, I'll be again soon.
37.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 10:01:53 AM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
OK so now I get to post on the ''Mommie Thread too!!!''

I feel like a dog peeing all over the place - TTC Thread, Barely Thread, Mommy Thread.
3.gif
I FEELTHE SAME WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Bouncing from one fire hydrant to another!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:38:57 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Here''s the list of additives classed as ''Unsafe'' even at levels you might eat in a regular serving:

acesulfamine potassium
artificial colorings (blue 1, blue2, green 3, red 3, yellow 6);
cyclamate
Olestra (yuck!)
potassium bromate
propyl gallate
saccharin
sodium nitrite
sodium nitrate

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!
Indy, did your book give examples of common foods these things are found in? that may be helpful in the event that the nutritional content is not available to look at.
I know I''d love some example of things to avoid...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 2:14:38 PM
Author: mela lu

Date: 6/20/2008 12:57:14 PM

Mela, if you don''t mind sharing, how public had you gone with your pregnancy before your m/c and did you find it helpful that those people knew or did you find it made things worse with certain people?
Dreamer - I don''t mind sharing :) We told both of our parents and siblings; and I told my tight inner-circle of girlfriends (we get together at least once a week for wine and girl-time which would have been impossible to fake). I told one friend at work who is also TTC, and she was heartbroken for me (natch) but she''s been covering for me at work while I recover, so it''s GREAT!!! My DH told a couple of his best friends, and other than that we kept it on the DL. Funny thing is, after I m/c, I''ve ended up telling a few people who didnt even know i was preggers, and THEY ended up sharing their m/c experience which I didn''t know about. It''s amazing how once you open up to people, they open up to you. I learned some great info from my DH coworker who is now pregnant after a m/c before Xmas. DH ended up telling her because he''s been off work with me since the m/c and she called me yesterday from the office to ''talk''. she was an incredible wealth of knowledge and I felt so much better talking to her and hearing how happy she is now that she is preggs again. She miscarried at the end of Nov and was preggers again in Feb. THAT is what I call inspiring! :)

hopefully, god willing, I''ll be again soon.
37.gif
Mela, thanks for hsring your experience. Indy commented once how m/c is the most common "secret" out there, which is a pity in some ways because it makes it feel even more horrible when it happens and maybe makes people worry more than is necessary when it does happen to them, since they think it is this rare thing that sugnals doom for their chances of having a baby. A remarkable number of women experience m/c and the vast vast majoirty go on to have children in the future!

I''m glad you are getting so much support and that you and CH are able to stay home and take some time to recover. Social support is so important during any stressful experience!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results