shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I just picked up the new WIlton cake decorating yearbook. There''s a section on cupcakes that I''m wanting to try.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey cupcakers (and eaters!)...i haven''t checked in on this thread in forever it feels like!! just been so busy..!! cupcaking is going quite well, i had i think 4 orders last week..wow. one so far this week and i have a friend''s 40th bday party this wkd and she asked me to do the cupcakes and said she''d pay me but i was like just give me cost of supplies....sometimes i have a hard time taking people''s money haha.

i also committed to doing this sweet gal''s kids bday parties for the last 2 wkds of the month and i am a little paranoid. she wants cupcakes and cakes as well, and i am really not a caker just yet. they take more work to get pretty, even, level, whatever, seem to take more work to decorate too. we spent 45 minutes on the phone yesterday hammering out details and i feel okay about it, it will just be a lot of work. i am like what did i get myself into with these cakes!? at least i don''t have to split and layer the cakes as they are shapes (the big super cupcake one for her daughter along with matching small cupcakes, and a barn shaped cake for a farm themed party for her son) but the decoration and all that..yikes. AND i have events both weekends for a friend''s upcoming wedding (actually one wkd is the wedding which we are staying overnight for in carmel). anyone else an overachiever like me?? greg is always like why do you take on so much? say no. i have the hardest time hahaha...esp if its something i really want to do.

anyway there''s my update!! oh and freke i have been playing around a lot with fondant flowers and shapes, veiners etc. do you know about any of that stuff? its really fun and quite relaxing actually. i can take 2 hours and just zone out doing flowers. they last so long when premade. i also want to take a gumpaste flower course for fun, we''ll have to see, there is an awesome place about 45 minutes from me that does all kinds of specialty things but the timing on schedule might not work out. oh and random note but a friend is looking locally into going to pastry school here and she priced it out for me because greg was like ''you should take some classes'' ... and it''s $25k for 10 months, wow! that''s a whole new diamond...! i can learn a lot on my own for $25k...hehe.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Mara - missed ya woman!!
39.gif
35.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is some eye candy for you guys. my famous vanilla peanut butter with an embossed fondant heart.

vanilla pb fondant heart.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow that came out huge. hope this one is smaller, i am too lazy to check....this is red velvet i made for greg''s 40th bday bash which we just celebrated about a week ago! these were so cute. (hi lorelei!!!)

red velvet contrast.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,

Those are so yummmmmmy looking. I just want to bite into them.

How is your business going????????? We miss you around here.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
AcK, Mara, I didn''t read the whole thread. I see you have been a busy bee. I am glad you are doing well. We are coming to San Jose one of these days. We want to eat your cake and cuppies.
9.gif

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara!

Your stuff is lookin' good!!!

I've made lots of gumpaste flowers. Not to mention marzipan ones. I loathe fondant though, honestly. I avoid it as much as I possibly can. We actually had to make a new marzipan rose every night for homework in a class I took. My problem is that I want them to be as life like as possible, so I will spend hours and hours on them, making them as perfect as I possibly can. I also find it relaxing, but I think that I'd probably drive myself nuts-and I certainly couldn't charge enough to make it worth my while. My mom asked me to take a class on making them with me, and we had to buy a stupid Wilton kit each to participate-which was stupid, because I think Wilton tools suck if you're planning on using them professionally or for an extended period of time. Plastic does not cut it when there are quality stainless steel tools out there.

I'd totally recommend that you pick up one of Colette Peters' books. In the one I have (I think it's Colette's Wedding Cakes?) has all of the basics (recipes, techniques, templates) in the back, and a ton of pictures and step by step instructions in the front, and I think it even has places listed where you can buy equipment-although that stuff is easier to find with the internet now. Anyway, I think they run about $30 each, and I can't tell you how often I'll refer back to it when I'm planning for making any type of cake.

You should find out if there are any airbrush classes you can take. I love love love using the airbrush--it's so much fun! Like Graffiti! But not as permanent or illegal!

Where have you looked for classes?

My community college was maybe a total of $4k for an associate's degree (including tuition, uniforms, knives, supplies, books and lab fees) and CIA was going to cost $50k for an associate's (with everything included, even my dorm room) but that doesn't include the costs incurred for the externship or travel costs.

If you need any help researching for classes, or questions about that stuff, let me know! There might even be some pastry chefs/bakers/cake decorators in your area that would be willing to give you "private" lessons for a much smaller fee than the classes. Perhaps you could ask around? I can probably help you with that too. There was a retired Chef Instructor who lived by CIA, and if the students got at least 6 of them together, she'd teach them a class on whatever they wanted for about $100 for an afternoon. So that might be something to check out too.

Anyway, let me know if you need anything!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Nicholas Lodge also writes great books on gumpaste flowers.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks ladies... good to see ya''ll too! :)

thanks for the wealth of info freke!!! i actually do find the flowers relaxing too. and i like using fondant though i don''t like the taste of it, i like that it is drier mostly and doesn''t stick as much, but i am still learning techniques. i just got some of that choco pan fondant and it''s sooo soft. i had to add a lot of flour to get it to a consistency that i wanted to work with for flowers BUT i could see how it''s awesome for covering cakes, it''s very soft and pliable and has a slight ''sheen'' to it. it is made with chocolate and is supposed to taste WAY better than regular fondant but i have not eaten it yet.

i will check out that cake book too, i def need something i can refer to with techniques and instructions on how to that can be kind of like my bible. have you heard of The Cake Bible? Many people SWEAR by it for layer cakes, but i have also read online from multiple sources that it''s also very hard to perfect, like the recipes are not EASY and that a lot of times stuff comes out hit or miss. so it''s put me off from buying.

i know most of it is practice makes perfect though....that is just what i need to keep doing. locally in berkeley at a cake shop they have FUN looking classes like gumpaste flowers, advanced fondant cakes, shapes like a purse... i totally want to take that stuffto learn the basics...problem is that berkeley is like 45 min from me and a lot of their classes are like at 6pm on a weekday OR 9am on a saturday. so it''s not quite easy. there is another local place where i took my first cake class and they are kind of more ''rustic'' and not as fancy as i''d like to be...but i asked the gal last time i was in and she said they are doing a gumpaste flower class so i think i will take that one cuz its like 1/2 the price of the berkeley one and i just want to learn more about techniques and shaping which i can then apply to anything.

also there is a ton of stuff online that i have checked out, i get most of my supplies online and also you can watch youtube videos and stuff! haha. anyway, i am making cuppies this wkd for my friends 40th bday party...so that''s my project for tomorrow.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Mara.

I don't own The Cake Bible, but I have heard the same things.

After buying The Professional Pastry Chef, the other textbooks for class and a couple of other random ones (mostly just dessert books and then Colette Peters' book) I started buying more artsy stuff-art books, plated dessert books, etc.

What is this choco pan fondant? I've always used modeling chocolate for covering cakes, making sculptures, etc. It's a lot like tootsie roll. With any sugar doughs you should use powdered sugar to stiffen the consistency. Occasionally I'll toss in some corn starch, but I like to play it safe.

I'd take the cheap class that's close by. That's a really far drive for those other classes, and combined with the fact that they are at such sucky times, I would say it's not worth it, unless they cover something that you really want to learn. Like really really want to.

I can't wait to see some of the stuff you make!!! Good luck with the cuppies this weekend! Make sure you take plenty of pics!!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Ok, Miss Mara....will you please share with me how you frost your cuppies so beautifully? They are just gorgeous. Oh, and you were sooo right. I finally made homemade red velvet cupcakes and they were a million times better than Sprinkles mix! I am in cupcake mode right now too but I need to go get some supplies.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I just found this thread and love looking at all of your fabulous creations! I just got a mini-muffin/cupcake pan and have a question. I got mini sized liners and they are slightly less than 1/4" short of the top of the top of the pan once in place. Does anyone else have this problem? Will the minis bake out fine? Or will they get stuck? Should I shop for a new pan? Thanks!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 2:46:47 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Hey Mara.

I don't own The Cake Bible, but I have heard the same things.

After buying The Professional Pastry Chef, the other textbooks for class and a couple of other random ones (mostly just dessert books and then Colette Peters' book) I started buying more artsy stuff-art books, plated dessert books, etc.

What is this choco pan fondant? I've always used modeling chocolate for covering cakes, making sculptures, etc. It's a lot like tootsie roll. With any sugar doughs you should use powdered sugar to stiffen the consistency. Occasionally I'll toss in some corn starch, but I like to play it safe.

I'd take the cheap class that's close by. That's a really far drive for those other classes, and combined with the fact that they are at such sucky times, I would say it's not worth it, unless they cover something that you really want to learn. Like really really want to.

I can't wait to see some of the stuff you make!!! Good luck with the cuppies this weekend! Make sure you take plenty of pics!!!

The Cake Bible is a great book, you should pick up one. I think I ordered mine for Amazon with The Whimsical Bakehouse and it was around 30 bucks or so, maybe more, I think I might have ordered a few extra books.

It's my understanding that Choco Pan isn't actually fondant. And the warmer it gets, the harder it is to work with. The better choice would be Satin Ice. They both have the tootsie roll type flavor, but Satin Ice is much easier to work with. The Choco Pan tends to tear easily. Satin Ice tastes good and is easier to work with.

Look at this, it's so cute: http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/baby-shower-cupcake-stand-2008-02-16.htm

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
this thread is pure evil...especially since good cupcakes are hit or miss around here..more miss....i''m a decent cook, not a great baker...so i find this thread quite unfair and utterly delicious! where is a tele-transport machine when you need it...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,
Congrats girl. I just read you won 3 categories, out of 7?? That''s HUGE!!!!!! They sound soooo delicious, am drooling looking at your pics!! I just pray these cuppies can be sent to the East Coast. I want some!!!!
18.gif
18.gif
Lisa

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry if this has already been discuss but I have decided to do cupcakes for my daughter''s 1st birthday party (they will be no where as near beautiful or creative as all of yours) I am looking to get a cupcake stand. Anyone have one they love? Also is there a certain place that is the best to buy supplies (liners and stuff)? TIA!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
still waiting for my FREE samples.
7.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 9:33:52 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
still waiting for my FREE samples.
7.gif
If ya get one, send one my way, haha!!!!
3.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Mara (or anyone else who knows),
What sort of tip do you use to get the frosting to look like it does in your pics? It is so pretty and I''d really like to try and make mine look more like that (and less like the slathered on mess with a knife that I usually produce) !

Thanks!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I've been going around looking for cupcake stuff. Michaels actually has some decent cupcake stands (mini and full-sized) and decorating stuff (tips, dyes, etc.). I go to the one on South (Exit 65 off of 485). The other place I can think of right away is at South Park...I think it's Sur la Table? I can't remember where in the mall it is, but I think it's on the right if you come in by Nordstrom's and go towards the rest of the mall. It all just depends on what you want to do, budget-wise.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
P, that is the Michael's I go to too! How funny. Not looking to spend a ton. Found one online for $42. I think that would be my limit. I already found the CUTEST Halloween cupcake ideas.
30.gif

ETA: it held 38 cupcakes

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 9:57:41 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
P, that is the Michael''s I go to too! How funny. Not looking to spend a ton. Found one online for $42. I think that would be my limit. I already found the CUTEST Halloween cupcake ideas.
30.gif

ETA: it held 38 cupcakes

Tacori, I think the one you are referring to is the same one we had for our wedding. It''s great. I still use it all the time!

This one right?

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Cupcakes-Stand%252d-Silvertone%2528Holds-38%2529/dp/B000EN6HD2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1219630618&sr=8-5

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 8:44:02 PM
Author: dixie94
Mara (or anyone else who knows),

What sort of tip do you use to get the frosting to look like it does in your pics? It is so pretty and I''d really like to try and make mine look more like that (and less like the slathered on mess with a knife that I usually produce) !

Thanks!

You use the biggest star tip you can find. Usually you''ll need to go to a specialty store. I can''t remember the number of the tip offhand, but it''s the biggest one they make.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s a Wilton tip, I think it''s 2D. Another big tip is 1G.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Wow, who would have thought this thread would go on for so long?

I love to come "check out" the yummy looking pictures!

Maybe we''ll bake this weekend for the holiday!
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Haha, Tacori, I had a sneaking suspicion you might be on my side of town. I love going through that Michaels. BF and I were in there last week looking for a box for my loose stones, and I got sidetracked by the cupcakes. And then I got *really* sidetracked by World Market. I had to go pet the dishes that I want, and play with the furniture. Oh goodness. I spend far too much time in that store.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss, I love World Market''s dishes too. We could be neighbors for all we know!
2.gif

Neatfreak, that''s the one! Glad you liked it. I feel kind of silly buying one JUST for her first b-day but I figured it will come in handy.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, Tacori, I love that stand! And cupcake stands are the kinds of things you can use more than once. Besides, gorgeous Tessa is turning 1! That deserves some slightly-less-than-practical celebratory cupcake-standery.

(Btw, have you looked at those terra cotta dishes at WM with the brown pattern around the edges? Because those are destined to be in my kitchen cupboard.)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 6:53:37 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
princesss, I love World Market''s dishes too. We could be neighbors for all we know!
2.gif

Neatfreak, that''s the one! Glad you liked it. I feel kind of silly buying one JUST for her first b-day but I figured it will come in handy.

It completely will, we''ve used ours numerous times in the past year. And people ask to borrow it all the time, so it gets used quite often for showers, parties, brunches, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results