The Cupcake Thread!

Share about family life. From before birth and beyond.

• 2575 posts • Page 80 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, ..., 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Post by Jas12 » March 5th, 2010, 3:11 am
Mara, yes, i was either thinking go big or go small. These are not ''right'' (even tho they are sooo pretty in person, gotta find the right application for them)
Her invites also have birds in them. I wish i was a little more talented with free-molding fondant. I could try those too and see how they turn out. Gotta find the motivation/time.
Thanks for the suggestions.

MrsM--A large open star or plain open tip will get that effect of a big dollop. Not sure exactly which one mara used, but i am sure she''ll chime in. Hold the piping bag directly over the cuppie while squeezing out the frosting, and keep the pressure applied evenly until the frosting sort of pools and covers the base of the cake. Then just quickly pull it off by stopping the pressure and apply the topper. it''s a nice effect, and actually easier than making swirls IMO.

Post by Jas12 » March 5th, 2010, 3:14 am
MrsM--oops, just looked at mara''s pic again, and they look like swirls--so ignore what i saidImage

Post by Mrs Mitchell » March 5th, 2010, 6:23 am
LOL! I couldn''t figure out if they were swirls or not. They look really elegant (for farmyard faces haha).

I love the little faces, too. Sweet!

Post by jas » March 8th, 2010, 2:57 pm
Had to share -- my first attempt at pastry bagging it...

Chocolate almond cuppies (ok) with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (a touch o' almond and awesome).

ETA: such a wee picture.  hee.
Attachments
minicuppieschocoalmond.jpg
minicuppieschocoalmond.jpg (91.34 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Post by Mara » March 8th, 2010, 2:59 pm
Mrs M sorry I missed this...it is an absolutely monstrous swirl tip ... I have to go dig it out and find it but I got it at a cake store I think. You can order the really big tips online though too. And it''s a huge tip, not just a regular jumbo. You need really thick frosting. But a dollop would be fun too, I love dollops!

Jas those are great!! Way better than when I first was pastry bagging for sure!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

Post by Hudson_Hawk » March 9th, 2010, 2:18 am
So I may have found a solution to the design of my turtle cupcakes. I found these at C&B last week and I think with minor modification and some frosting detail I''ll be able to pull off something super cute.

You have to use your imagination. 4 of the petals will become legs, then one above will be the head and the one below will be the tail. I might shave this last petal down a bit to make it look more like a tail.
Attachments
FlowerCupcakePanAV2F8.jpeg
FlowerCupcakePanAV2F8.jpeg (18.19 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Bazinga!

Post by SanDiegoLady » May 24th, 2010, 9:00 am
Hello my friends.. Its coming summer and this thread has been closed for a bit.. I need to know.. are there any new cuppies out there? Anything I should try? Any ideas for Graduation and Fathers Day? I''m interested to know what my PS pals have been up to in the kitchen!!

I''m feeling inspired.. got an visuals to assist in that? Image

Mara.. Jas... where are you? Image

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices...

JK Rowling

Post by Mrs Mitchell » May 24th, 2010, 9:45 am
Date: 3/8/2010 8:59:11 PM
Author: Mara
Mrs M sorry I missed this...it is an absolutely monstrous swirl tip ... I have to go dig it out and find it but I got it at a cake store I think. You can order the really big tips online though too. And it''s a huge tip, not just a regular jumbo. You need really thick frosting. But a dollop would be fun too, I love dollops!

Jas those are great!! Way better than when I first was pastry bagging for sure!
Thanks Mara. I''ve been hunting for one, with no joy. If you come across a link, I''d appreciate it. It makes the frosting look fantastic!

Jen

Post by Amanda.Rx » May 24th, 2010, 9:47 am
How have I never seen this thread before?? I Image it! And I love to bake!

I don''t have any cupcake pics, but here are a few of my creations: First: The Scroll Cake

The cake is simple- just a yellow box mix with home make chocolate & vanilla frosting. The love swirls- they''re my favorite design!
Attachments
scrollcake2356.jpg
scrollcake2356.jpg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Post by Amanda.Rx » May 24th, 2010, 9:50 am
Next is my hubby''s birthday cake. I try to make it for him every year. CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CAKE!

It''s semi home-made: Devil''s food or dark chocolate box mix with home-made peanut butter icing. To make the icing, I just use the standard Wilton buttercream icing recipe and mix creamy peanut butter in it until I like the taste. I usually have to add some extra milk too. Then, I just top it with chocolate chips & peanut butter chips. It''s super rich, but really yummy.
Attachments
birthdaycake2356.jpg
birthdaycake2356.jpg (80.88 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Post by Amanda.Rx » May 24th, 2010, 9:51 am
From the inside.

SanDiegoLady- it would be a great Father''s Day cake, if your dad likes the flavor combo.
Attachments
birthdaycake2.jpg
birthdaycake2.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Post by shimmer » May 24th, 2010, 10:07 am
I was wondering about this thread the other day! Happy to see it back... I made cake pops for my niece's 6th birthday last week. They were absolutely delicious--chocolate cake crumbled up with cream cheese frosting and dipped in chocolate and pink melting candies. Then I made a centerpiece with the pinks. Here the chocolates are drying:
Attachments
shimmercakepops1.jpg
shimmercakepops1.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 401 times
~~shimmer~~

AJP, GIA Diamonds Graduate

Post by shimmer » May 24th, 2010, 10:09 am
And the centerpiece:
Attachments
shimmercakepops2000.jpg
shimmercakepops2000.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 401 times
~~shimmer~~

Post by DandiAndi » May 25th, 2010, 12:07 am
YAAYYYYY so hapy to see this thread up again!! ImageImageImage

Amanda.Rx!! Girl, where have you and your amazing talent been hiding?! Those cakes look to DIE for! Your scrolling in incredible, and that PB cake.... yuuuuuuuum!!

shimmer, they are TOO CUTE! ImageImage How do you do those?! I love them!!

Post by shimmer » May 25th, 2010, 5:02 am
Dandi-thanks! I love them too, everyone did! They taste good for days so you can totally make them ahead of time.

This was my first time making them and I found an excellent tutorial on a site called Recipe Rhapsody. Basically you crumble a cake and mix in some frosting, roll into tiny balls and refrigerate overnight, melt the choco/candy (I used a mini crock pot to keep warm, highly recommend this), stick in the lollipop stick (6") and carefully dip and tap off the excess. Then sprinkle if desired and stick in a foam block (or, when I ran out of room I used an upside down cardboard box with holes stabbed in itImage) to dry. Then I got little clear 3x4" treat bags and wrapped them up after about an hour. I left them out until the party the next day and then after they were in the fridge, but still tasted amazing yesterday which was 4 days later!

I found the centerpiece idea on another website, I just got a 1" foam circle that fit inside the tin and covered with gum balls and poked the cake pops in. I was looking for pink candies but couldn''t find any, and my niece wanted a gum ball machine for her bday anyway so it worked out.
~~shimmer~~

Post by SanDiegoLady » May 25th, 2010, 3:00 pm
I LOVE THE NEW STUFFFFF!! That peanut butter cake looks amazing!! Image

JK Rowling

Post by Amanda.Rx » May 25th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Thanks, Dandi & SanDiego!

Now that I''ve found this thread, I may have to get back in the kitchen and play some more! I got a brand new Kitchen Aid mixer as a wedding gift! SCORE!

Post by Mara » May 25th, 2010, 6:13 pm
wow that peanut butter chocolate cake looks great!! i am totally craving now hehe.

great looking cakes!!

mrs mitchell i will try to look for the tip online and post it if i find it. i just know it''s uber giant!!!

i havent baked ANYTHING but boxed ghiradelli brownies since the baby came...it''s SO SAD! plus i just went back to work so now i really have no time...BOO!!

but that pb cake. yum.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

Post by SanDiegoLady » June 1st, 2010, 9:24 pm
Date: 5/24/2010 3:51:38 PM
Author: Amanda.Rx
From the inside.

SanDiegoLady- it would be a great Father''s Day cake, if your dad likes the flavor combo.

Well....... it would be for hubby, actually. I think he''d love this.. I may have to steal this idea in a hurry. ImageImage

JK Rowling

Post by Jas12 » June 3rd, 2010, 6:59 am
awww, i miss this thread!

YUM that peanut butter cake looks sooo yummy and the cake pops--cute, cute, cute!

I am with Mara, toddler + 9 mos preggo + building/moving into a new house leaves no time for baking. I miss it !

Post by CasaBlanca » June 5th, 2010, 11:15 am
Link

Just saw this and couldn''t help think of the cuppie chefs here. The sgetty and meatball is SO my sil. That is all she wants to eat on her BDAY. For nearly 38 years that is all she has.

Think this year we will surprise her with cuppies in the same theme! Image Better get to work to hon my technique. But who will be willing to taste test them? Egads that first bite would be really odd.

OH, love the peanut butter cake. Brilliant idea and presentation Amanda!

Post by DandiAndi » June 5th, 2010, 2:46 pm
AWW CasaBlanca, they are too cute!! They sound absolutely perfect for your sister, and they look YUM!! Have fun making them, don't forget to post pics!! Image

Post by taovandel » June 20th, 2010, 6:24 am
Hi!  I love this thread and wanted to post what I made today for Father''s Day.

I made Oreo Kisses (From the Bakerella.com website)

Attachments
kisses1.jpg
kisses1.jpg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Post by taovandel » June 20th, 2010, 6:25 am
another picture.

It''s crushed up oreo with a chocolate shell around it. 

They turned out so nice!
Attachments
kisses2.jpg
kisses2.jpg (19.8 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Post by EricaR » June 20th, 2010, 4:18 pm
I''ve just been buying cupcakes lately. Lots and lots and lots of cupcakes. I''m lucky (or cursed?) to live in an area with tons of fab cupcake shops around.

Post by DandiAndi » June 20th, 2010, 5:00 pm
taovandel, how thoughtful, and PRETTY!! Image Were they hard to make? I bet they were super duper yummy!! Image

Post by Mara » June 21st, 2010, 4:58 am
Tao those look great..!! Fab job. I bet they were tasty too.

Andi.. look at your CUTE PUP...adorable!! And I am glad this thread was revived because I have been thinking about cupcakes lately, potentially about starting my biz back up again and going hard core so that I can quit and stay home with my babe. I am updating my blog order page area and figure we''ll see how things go at first to gauge.

For FD I made the Chocolate Peanut Butter cake from Smitten Kitchen which is actually from the Sky High Cakes cookbook... it was really good!! The chocolate cake tasted a bit too much like oil for me though so I might add a bit more vanilla or some butter next time...but it was amazing with the PB frosting. I actually did the inside layers with the PB Cream cheese but the outer layer with some chocolate mixed in so it was choco PB. YUM. and I made cupcakes to take into my team at work.

anyway anyone else got some new additions??!

-Albert Einstein

Post by Bella_mezzo » June 21st, 2010, 8:24 am
no new cuppies, too busy to bake right nowImage but mara I just had a quick question, at what point do you have to start using a commercial kitchen and complying with all kinds of food safety laws?  I''ve been pushing around the idea of starting a small baking business (just big enough to afford me staying home once we have kids and I am done with my MBA).  I do some one-off baking now (nothing as big as you:-)!) but I am kind of fuzzy on the whole food prep/legal side of things...do you have any knowledge in that dept?

Post by Mara » June 21st, 2010, 9:15 am
bella i dont really know, but i think it also depends on your state as well. my friend who does baking from her home kitchen has a little side biz, there are commercial kitchens you can rent time/space here as well so i would prob try to go that route if i went at it. i know some states don''t care where you bake --aka home or commercial etc. from the home it''s hard to do any crazy type of quantity unless you have double ovens, which i would LOVE. right now we just have one.

-Albert Einstein

Post by Bella_mezzo » June 21st, 2010, 9:55 am
thanks!  yeah, it would figure that NYC would have killer rules in that department:-)  Off to do some research...:-)

2575 posts • Page 80 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, ..., 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86

« Return to Family, Home & Health