The Cupcake Thread!

Share about family life. From before birth and beyond.

• 2575 posts • Page 70 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, ..., 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, ..., 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Post by *~*Danielle*~* » August 17th, 2009, 11:05 am
Date: 8/15/2009 12:09:15 AM
Author: Camille

style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 217px">Date: 8/14/2009 10:08:19 PM
Author: vip0802

sorry i''m so late replying to this!

i melted the Lindt truffles in a bowl over simmering water and let it cool to room temp. i started whipping the cream until it got a little frothy, and then added the white chocolate. it looked ok when it started forming soft peaks, but it curdled right after. Image

i had the same problem when i tried making a mascarpone/whipped cream frosting for Giada De Laurentiis'' hazelnut crunch cake. i tried doing it several times, and it was horrible having to throw away so much frosting especially when mascarpone isn''t cheap!

i''m pretty finicky about frosting too Lulie. i absolutely cannot stand overly sugary sweet frostings (like the kind you find on cakes from the grocery store), so i''ve always been a fan of whipped cream/Cool Whip frosting. nowadays, i alternate between that and swiss meringue buttercream. i don''t use too much butter in mine and combined with the meringue, it taste lighter. i''ve heard great things about 7-minute frosting...apparently it''s like marshmallow, but i''ve yet to try it.

Wow Vip, add me to the club, love to work with frostings but can''t eat them. Sorry your WC didn''t work Image Mascarpone is one of my fave foods, after lemons. When I took a class with DiFrancesco we had to whip, whip and whip some more by hand Image talk about pressure. I''d suggest buying near exparation WC at your $tore or Costco [not the best tasting btw] for a lot les$ and practice 1 C at a time. After a carton or two you''ll know what to look for, it only takes a sec to go yuck. Never understood why books/recipes ever bother to type Gelatin? Gel? {kosher is not an excuse} how about gum? starch? for piping WC Image rant over.Image

I notoriously overwhip my whipped cream frostings, but when I make marscapone whipped cream, I beat the cream in the stand mixer until it''s still smooth looking, but firm.  If it kinda starts to really keep it''s shape after the beaters go through, it''s definitely gone too far.  I whisk the marcapone cheese in a separate container with whatever sugar/vanilla I''m going to add so it''s semi-loosened up. then I''ll stir about 1/3 of the marscapone into the whipped cream, and then fold the rest of the marscapone into the whipped cream.  I can''t imagine with this frosting I''d be able to pipe it very well, but it tastes yummy!

SMBC is my personal fave - with chocolate flavored & peanut butter flavored being my absolute favorites.

Cream cheese frosting is also yum yum yum!

Post by Lulie » August 17th, 2009, 1:14 pm
Date: 8/14/2009 10:08:19 PM
Author: vip0802

sorry i''m so late replying to this!

i melted the Lindt truffles in a bowl over simmering water and let it cool to room temp. i started whipping the cream until it got a little frothy, and then added the white chocolate. it looked ok when it started forming soft peaks, but it curdled right after. Image

i had the same problem when i tried making a mascarpone/whipped cream frosting for Giada De Laurentiis'' hazelnut crunch cake. i tried doing it several times, and it was horrible having to throw away so much frosting especially when mascarpone isn''t cheap!

i''m pretty finicky about frosting too Lulie. i absolutely cannot stand overly sugary sweet frostings (like the kind you find on cakes from the grocery store), so i''ve always been a fan of whipped cream/Cool Whip frosting. nowadays, i alternate between that and swiss meringue buttercream. i don''t use too much butter in mine and combined with the meringue, it taste lighter. i''ve heard great things about 7-minute frosting...apparently it''s like marshmallow, but i''ve yet to try it.

No worries VIP,  the older I get the less I like buttercream, funny....don''t mind mousse though LOL
I have plans for marshmallow type of frostings after whipping cream. Currently have some in the fridge that was simmered with coconut to replicate Camille''s devils coconut whipping cream for piping. I know she uses impecable clean cold bowls and beats the cream to soft peaks with sugar, the cheese and flavor goes right before it changes color or something like that.
Danielle, cream cheese, peanut butter  oh my......I have so much baking homework to do!

Post by Eva17 » August 24th, 2009, 7:15 am
Since this is a diamond forum, I thought some of the bakers out there might enjoy these!

[url=]http://www.pastrychef.com/SUGAR-DIAMONDS_p_7-1580.html [/url]' target="_blank">'http://www.pastrychef.com/SUGAR-DIAMONDS_p_7-1580.html ' target="_blank">http://www.pastrychef.com/SUGAR-DIAMONDS_p_7-1580.html

Post by DandiAndi » August 24th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Eva, how cute!!!!! Thanks for posting those, they''re adorable! Image

Ack, I''ve got so many cupcake projects coming up! All different themes and colours, my head is spinning!! Image

Post by Camille » August 25th, 2009, 6:21 am
Too yummy cute!
Same boat here, my beloved  signed me up for her class bake sale booth Image 

Post by DandiAndi » September 1st, 2009, 3:51 am
Random question, but has anyone made magenta frosting?? A party I''m cupcaking for on the weekend has bright red, yellow, blue, green and magenta balloons. The first four are easy, but what''s magenta comprise of?? Is that purple with more red than blue?

Post by Camille » September 1st, 2009, 5:48 am

Light blue and red. I''d tint white frosting light blue first then add red in tiny increments. Good luck Image

Post by DandiAndi » September 2nd, 2009, 5:04 pm
Thankyou Camille!! I read somewhere that it''s 2 parts red to 1 part blue, but that scares me a bit Image I prefer your method! Thanks again!! Image

Post by FL Steph » September 3rd, 2009, 1:57 am
I have a question for all you experts....I am making cupcakes for a shower this Sat. and I decided to try fondant for the first time for toppers. They turned out really cute, but they are not really drying out well. I made them 2 days ago and put them in tupperware dishes with airtight lids. How long do they normally take to dry? I''m worried they won''t be ready for Sat. Also, putting them in the fridge is a no no, right? Thanks!

Post by Camille » September 3rd, 2009, 6:21 am
Oh no expert, but no fridge my dear.....it may be too humid for them to dry up, if they are still soft by tomorrow, I'd turn on a fan for 3 hours in the kitchen to dehydrate them a bit. One time we used the oven method to dry up 500 minis,  it worked but is was tricky, we heated the ovens to 180F then turned OFF,  and placed the minis in there with the oven lights on [on baking sheets]  problem: touching temptation to check can be disastrous..............Good Luck Image

Post by Camille » September 3rd, 2009, 7:49 am
Hope it works Dandi, it will look like pretty violet right before turning magenta. Image

Post by FL Steph » September 3rd, 2009, 8:41 am
Date: 9/3/2009 12:21:26 PM
Author: Camille
Oh no expert, but no fridge my dear.....it may be too humid for them to dry up, if they are still soft by tomorrow, I''d turn on a fan for 3 hours in the kitchen to dehydrate them a bit. One time we used the oven method to dry up 500 minis, it worked but is was tricky, we heated the ovens to 180F then turned OFF, and placed the minis in there with the oven lights on [on baking sheets] problem: touching temptation to check can be disastrous..............Good Luck Image

Thank you for the advice. It is very humid here, so that might be the reason. Good idea about the fan!

Post by Jas12 » September 4th, 2009, 4:59 am
Steph--i let my fondant cutouts sit out on the counter overnight and they are dry in the AM. I then transfer them to the tupperwear.

I ''ve taken a break from the world of cuppies and started to get into making french Macarons. Oh boy, these are finicky little suckers. I tried 2 recipes in 4 different ways over the past 2 nights and got a workable--but not quite perfect-- formula. These are tricky but i was intent on getting them right. My sister just go engaged in Paris and she is Macaron OBSESSED. I am throwing her an engagemtent party this weekend and the theme is Pairisian desserts so of course i had to have macarons to go with the crepes and madelines i am making !!
I''ll post pics, but just wondering, has anyone else attempted them??? I think they are the new ''it'' dessert.

Post by Jaders731 » September 4th, 2009, 11:35 am
Jas...

You are right.. Macarons are the new "it" dessert.. and I would not be surprised if we start seeing Macaron shops here in North America.. just like we have seen cupcake shops...

I dont have my recipe in front of me right this second as I am on vacation.. but can you tell me your recipe and method.. and I will let you know some pointers on how to get a consistent product!!!

First... if you haven''t tried using a food processor to grind both the almond meal and the powdered sugar together before you mix it into the egg whites.. do that!!! I find that it makes for a much more consistent and stable product!

Ok, off the top of my head.. I believe that this is the mise en place for my recipe.. I just have to double check!

2 oz egg white
5 1/2 t. granulated sugar
2 oz almond meal
4 oz powdered sugar
2 drops vanilla extract

Sift the almond meal and powdered sugar to remove any lumps. Grind in the food processor to create a fine and even texture.

Whip egg whites to soft peaks, and gradually add granulated sugar. Whip to a medium - stiff peak. Add vanilla and fold in the almond/powdered sugar mixture. You do NOT want this to become smooth. Just folded in completely.

I use an Atecco #806 round tip and piping bag. Pipe quarter size mounds on parchment or a sil pat. Let stand out near your oven to dry out.. about 30 min until a skin forms on the macaron (when you touch the macaron, no batter will come off on your finger)
When dry.. bake at 350F for 10 min. The cookie will be done when the "cap" does not shift and appears to be completely dry and lightly brown!

Let me know if this works!!! I have to run.. but I''ll post more ideas later..

Hope that helps!!! These are my absolute favorite!!!

Post by Camille » September 4th, 2009, 12:11 pm
="ltr"> 
My fave is vanilla filled with any berry but nutella aren''t bad either. I thing separating whites at least 24 hours prior to make them even let whites sit at room temp [weather permitting] for a couple hours may help to develop acid/lesser moisture and stabilize the meringue better. Yep, Définitivement un bonbon de nouveaux, I''ve seen lots of macaron towers lately, yummmmmers! 

Post by Jas12 » September 4th, 2009, 4:14 pm
Jaders--THANKS!! I am happy to say that i did basically what your recipe called for. I read a tonne of food blogs and heard various things about letting a crust form or not, and letting the egg whites sit for 24 hrs etc. I don''t have the luxury of time but i did let them sit (room temp) after being piped for about an hour and i found i had to bake mine at 350 for about 12 min ( i think elevation will effect bake times right--esp when dealing with meringue??)
Next time i will try your suggestion of food processing the almond and icing sugar together. Right now i am just sifting each and mixing together. I''ve noticed my macarons are not totally smooth--they have little flecks and bump of meal in them. Overall. i am pleased with the first attempts. they have the feet, they have the crispy shell and chewy centre and i did 3 flavors (raspberry, chocolate and maple toffee) for the party and i think they are all edible Image
But definitely something i''ll continue to play with. In toronto they are becoming oh-so fashionable. Everyone wants a macaron cake for their wedding and many beautiful shops are found throughout the city.

Camille--mmm, vanilla and berry is one of my faves too--simple and delicious. And yep, those towers are popping up in magazines and cafe windows all over the place. they certainly are a pretty dessert!!

Sorry for the macaron threadjack...

back to cuppies...just ordered some adorable polkadot liners for a batch of RVs i have to make . I will post a pic when i get a min.

Post by Camille » September 4th, 2009, 5:54 pm
What a wonderful threadjack Jas Image Just remembered why I bought the fine sieve from foodutensils.com......to avoid the flecks in the hazel meal, omg another one: mixing hazelnut and almond meal is a bomb Image if not avail, sifting twice should do, some may think it's  crazy but, using double baking sheets and carefully removing the bottom one after the foot had formed, then lowering the temp a bit for a no fail, yummers again Image
Going back to cuppies, made 4 dozen of each for my kid's school:
Chocolate/Ganache

Attachments
Ganache.JPG
Ganache.JPG (46.08 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Post by Camille » September 4th, 2009, 6:00 pm
Vanilla/Strawberry Cream Cheese, strained fruit, still had seeds Image
Attachments
VanSCC.JPG
VanSCC.JPG (34.76 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Post by Camille » September 4th, 2009, 6:02 pm
 Second batch, w/o straining:Image
Attachments
VanSCC2.jpg
VanSCC2.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Post by DandiAndi » September 5th, 2009, 4:01 am
Oh Camille, they are all gorgeous!! And I purposely leave seeds in my strawberry CC, I love the speckles through the soft pink!! Just beautiful. ImageImage

Post by FL Steph » September 5th, 2009, 2:34 pm
Hey, girls. Thanks for the fondant advice. I did some for a shower today, and I think they turned out so cute. I did the monogram for the new baby. Thanks again!
Attachments
monogrammedcupcakes3.jpg
monogrammedcupcakes3.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Post by Camille » September 5th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Very sweet Image
Attachments
kudos.gif
kudos.gif (11.63 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Post by Kaleigh » September 5th, 2009, 3:17 pm
Date: 9/5/2009 8:34:05 PM
Author: steph72276
Hey, girls. Thanks for the fondant advice. I did some for a shower today, and I think they turned out so cute. I did the monogram for the new baby. Thanks again!
Steph those are gorgeous, great job!!!  They are almost too pretty to eat!!  I''m sure they were a big hit.Image
Piece of cake and a candle *** NG gift***

Post by FL Steph » September 5th, 2009, 3:28 pm
Camille and Kaleigh, thank you! And Camille, yours look awesome, especially the strawberry cream cheese...yumImage

Post by lili » September 5th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Camille and Steph--
Those cuppies are gorgeous!

Post by DandiAndi » September 5th, 2009, 9:55 pm
Just beautiful, Steph!! The perfect shade of pink!!! Image

Post by Jas12 » September 6th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Camille--YUM. that chocolate looks sooooo gooooood, and i love the dusting-sugar edge on the strawberry cuppie!

Steph--love, love the monogram idea. I bet the mom was thrilled. Terrific job!!

Here is a quick pic of the chocolate macarons i made for my sister''s party (with ganache filling). My sister loved them and claimed they were just as tasty as the ones she had in Paris (she was being kind, but i was thrilled that she ate a whole bunch :)
Like usual, i forgot to take a pic of the various flavors on display so when my sis posts them on FB, i''ll go steal one....macs don''t have the decorating possibilities of cuppies, but the flavor options are endless and you can put them in pretty papers ....
Attachments
macaron1.jpg
macaron1.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Post by MishB » September 7th, 2009, 2:31 am
Date: 9/6/2009 8:58:33 PM
Author: Jas12
Camille--YUM. that chocolate looks sooooo gooooood, and i love the dusting-sugar edge on the strawberry cuppie!

Steph--love, love the monogram idea. I bet the mom was thrilled. Terrific job!!

Here is a quick pic of the chocolate macarons i made for my sister''s party (with ganache filling). My sister loved them and claimed they were just as tasty as the ones she had in Paris (she was being kind, but i was thrilled that she ate a whole bunch :)

Like usual, i forgot to take a pic of the various flavors on display so when my sis posts them on FB, i''ll go steal one....macs don''t have the decorating possibilities of cuppies, but the flavor options are endless and you can put them in pretty papers ....

You MADE that?? V impressed...

Post by Jas12 » September 7th, 2009, 2:28 pm
Thanks MishB...yep, made those ....after more than a couple failed attempts Image

Post by DandiAndi » September 7th, 2009, 5:42 pm
Jas, they look AMAZING. So professional!! Image

Here are the cuppies I did for a recent 21st. The birthday girl loves funky colours and music. The colours in the icing matched her party balloons. Half were chocolate mud and half vanilla, all with vanilla CC icing in 5 trippy colours. Image The musical notes and stars are made from black fondant.

2575 posts • Page 70 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, ..., 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, ..., 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

« Return to Family, Home & Health