The Cupcake Thread!

Share about family life. From before birth and beyond.

• 2575 posts • Page 65 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, ..., 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, ..., 70, 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Post by Camille » July 16th, 2009, 5:52 am

Ditto, I love lemon Sapphire! Image

Post by Tacori E-ring » July 16th, 2009, 7:50 am
Mara I LOVE s''mores too and am drooling on my keyboard right now. Those look SOOO good!
Expectations are nothing but premeditated resentments.

Happiness is an inside job.

Post by Porridge » July 17th, 2009, 6:57 am
Thanks DandiAndi! I actually used that leftover batter today (almost 1 week on since I''d made it, just left in the fridge) and it worked perfectly. I reused the icing too, just as yummy as the day I made it! Good to know for the future.

vip there''s one in the post Image

Lovesvintage they''re only about 4cm diameter. I baked one large cake in a normal 20cm cake pan, then cut out little cakes from that. There was a some wastage of course but worth it! You could use any cake as a base. The one I used here was a Mich Turner recipe. It was originally pecan, so those would work too, but I only had hazelnuts to hand. Here''s the recipe:

Melt 150g dark chocolate (70%) and combine with 4tbsp strong espresso.
Cream 175g unsalted butter with 175g caster sugar.
Add in 5 eggs, slowly.
Pour in the chocolate and coffee mixture.
Add 100g crushed hazelnuts/pecans.
blend 100g self raising flour and 1tsp baking powder. Sieve this into the wet mixture.
Bake in a 20cm cake tin for about 40-45 mins.

Sapphirelover your cuppies look YUM!

PORRIDGE

Post by Camille » July 17th, 2009, 8:55 am
Pecans?.... oh they sound  even better Image
Made  two batches of RV today, recipe very close to Mrsalvo with Bsoda & Cream of T, as far as the coloring,  just discovered that No taste/odor red from Wiltons may have peanut traces Image [something new to worry about] used 1 ts  + more cocoa/vanilla.
First batch with Mascarpone whipping cream, def my silky fave.
Attachments
DSCF4911.jpg
DSCF4911.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Post by Camille » July 17th, 2009, 9:01 am
Second Batch,  Philadelphia  Whipping Cream, piped a lot less bc they have  PWcream in the center.

Attachments
DSCF4946.jpg
DSCF4946.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Post by marcy » July 18th, 2009, 2:10 pm

Camille, your cupcakes look great. 

SapphireLover, your cupcakes look wonderful.  I can almost taste them.

Here is a picture of the mm fondant cake I decorated this week.  The colored fondant was prepackaged but the mm fondant tasted pretty good.  Most people who ate the cake ate it.  I didn’t leave the rolled up paper towel in the bow to leave it open

Attachments
mcfondpack.jpg
mcfondpack.jpg (15.86 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Curbs Happen.  Sparkle on . . .

Post by marcy » July 18th, 2009, 2:11 pm
Another view.
Attachments
mcfondpack2.jpg
mcfondpack2.jpg (17.57 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Post by DandiAndi » July 19th, 2009, 4:38 am
Camille they look gorgeous!! I love the idea of marscapone on RVs, I''ll have to try that!!

Marcyc, how clever are you?!?! That cake is sooooo beautiful!! ImageImageImage

Post by neatfreak » July 19th, 2009, 4:52 am
Re: Red Velvet coloring I often make the red velvet recipe and omit the food coloring all together. For some people certainly the novelty of the cake is in the food coloring-but I really like the delicate taste of them so I just make them without the red! People still love them.

Post by Jas12 » July 19th, 2009, 6:02 am
Camille--those look fantastic!!! Would love to try one with the cream in the center

Marcy--well done! That cake is so cute!

Neat--RV without the color? Do you still call them RV? I wuould just do a vanilla cuppie with the cream cheese frosting if that were the case. I think the *only* real thing i like about the RV is the contrast b/w the red cake and the white icing. I''ll have to try a batch one day without the color to see how much the taste of the cake changes.

Post by lili » July 19th, 2009, 10:41 am
whoa marcy--
that cake looks like a pretty present!
you did a great job.

Post by Skippy » July 19th, 2009, 10:56 am
beautiful cake Marcy, great job!

Camille, adorable cuppies!
Skippy

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/1896249wrr738gi7w.gif

"The only things that stand between a person and what they want in life are the will to try it, and the faith to believe it's possible" Rich Devos

Post by neatfreak » July 19th, 2009, 10:59 am
Date: 7/19/2009 12:02:26 PM
Author: Jas12
Neat--RV without the color? Do you still call them RV? I wuould just do a vanilla cuppie with the cream cheese frosting if that were the case. I think the *only* real thing i like about the RV is the contrast b/w the red cake and the white icing. I''ll have to try a batch one day without the color to see how much the taste of the cake changes.

Well considering that the dye *should* be taste free (at least mine is) it doesn''t change the flavor at all...

When I make them for others I use the food coloring. But if I am just making them for myself for something or for a fun project I omit the dye. Don''t like to eat it if I don''t have to!

Post by Tacori E-ring » July 19th, 2009, 1:15 pm
marcy, that is SOOOO cute! You are getting good girl!
Expectations are nothing but premeditated resentments.

Happiness is an inside job.

Post by marcy » July 19th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Thank you DandiAndi, Jas, Lili, Skippy and Tacori. 

Post by Mara » July 19th, 2009, 5:24 pm
there is no taste red coloring from wilton but i don''t use that, i use regular red food coloring because i can get a huge container of it at a local store for like $3.00 and the no taste stuff from wilton is more expensive, like $2.00 for a TINY container that only makes a few batches.

if you use no-taste then you prob will not notice a diff (and yes then basically it''s just a barely-vanilla buttermilk cuppie) but if you use regular food coloring, you will notice a big diff re: bitter i would imagine...the food coloring makes them tatse more bitter so you have to add more sugar to counteract.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

Post by pennquaker09 » July 19th, 2009, 6:03 pm
When you use the Wilton food colors, you have to use both, No Taste Red and Red Red or Christmas Red in order to get a vivid red. Sometimes, it''s better to start with a pink base and then add one of your reds.

Personally, I like Americolor Soft gel paste because they work much better and last a lot longer.
Sephora is the mothership! - diamondfan

Post by tlh » July 20th, 2009, 7:08 am
marcy - I LOVE THAT CAKE! Image

Post by Camille » July 20th, 2009, 7:51 am
Thanks for your kind comments  Dandi & Skipi Image
Marci
your cake is gorgeous!!!! Image

Ditto Mara can't imagine buying $maller containers for large production, reg Red wouldn't work for me bc I always cut 1/4-1/2 C of sugar in new recipes. [Martha's always 1/2C]
True Penn, not all reds are equal, have used 1/4 ts granadine  as color base for fresh strawberry/cherry as color base. I think we used 1 ts of Wilton's for the RV [still too much] Image  not making RV's anytime soon Image  they're yummy but I must say that the traditional ones from aunt Vivi [flour frosting] are great!

Thank you Jas: my kids love cupppie centers cream or fruit:

Attachments
DSCF4960.JPG
DSCF4960.JPG (42.88 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Post by SanDiegoLady » July 23rd, 2009, 11:01 am
I believe I need to re-evaluate why I''ve not been making cuppies lately.. lol I swear I gain weight just by looking at the pictures!

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices...

JK Rowling

Post by DandiAndi » July 24th, 2009, 1:28 am
Hehe SDL!! You''re so adorable Image

I''m whipping up 150 cuppies next Friday for an engagement party. EEK! Image

Post by Mara » July 24th, 2009, 9:25 am
SDL just look at your butt in the mirror and remind yourself you like it that way.

That is a good reason NOT to make cuppies!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

Post by vip0802 » July 25th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Date: 7/24/2009 3:25:40 PM
Author: Mara
SDL just look at your butt in the mirror and remind yourself you like it that way.

That is a good reason NOT to make cuppies!

hahahahahaha! good one Mara!

although, mine doesn''t look that bad from the side....Image

Post by vip0802 » July 25th, 2009, 8:43 pm
Date: 7/24/2009 7:28:06 AM
Author: DandiAndi

I''m whipping up 150 cuppies next Friday for an engagement party. EEK! Image

good luck and we want to see pictures when you''re done! what flavors are you going to do?

Post by vip0802 » July 25th, 2009, 9:06 pm
if anyone has experience with making MM fondant, maybe you can help me out. marcyc? Camille?

my first batch that i made had a great consistency however, i had tiny hard clumps of powdered sugar throughout. i even double sifted the sugar beforehand, so i was thinking that maybe my kneading skills weren''t so great. i ended up having to throw it away since i really couldn''t use it for anything.

for my second batch, i used my Kitchen Aid mixer to knead it for me instead, but i ended up having to use A LOT more powdered sugar than the recipe called for. in the end, there weren''t any sugar clumps but it tasted WAY too sweet, and i felt like it was still a little too moist/sticky for my liking. since i was in a time crunch, i still used it and it turned out great but i''m not sure what i''m doing wrong here. any suggestions?

here''s the covered cake i made, but i''m still a little upset the fondant was too sweet. most people picked it off except for the kids.

Post by shimmer » July 26th, 2009, 7:18 am
I have a question I hope you all can help me out with. I am attempting to start my own cupcake business (there are none in my city!) and am testing out recipes. I have the Martha Stewart Cupcakes book and last night made the Marble Cupcakes with Swiss Chocolate Meringue Buttercream. They look beautiful, however the cupcakes are so dry! I thought letting them sit overnight covered would help but it hasn't. Also, I was not impressed with the frosting, neither was hubby. This was very surprising because we both dislike the 'icing sugar' taste (and sweetness!) in a regular buttercream, but were not impressed with this enough to switch over. Maybe it has to do with the MS recipes, has anyone else tried them out?

I was wondering if I could take my regular vanilla recipe and add cocoa or melted chocolate to part of the recipe to make the marble? I feel silly asking such a simple question, but I was just wondering if anyone has done this and if it has turned out? I'm going to attempt it today anyway, so I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks! Image

ETA: vip, your cake is amazing! I love Wall-E!
~~shimmer~~

AJP, GIA Diamonds Graduate

Post by shimmer » July 26th, 2009, 7:55 am
And the dry marbles...
Attachments
marblecupcakeshimmer.jpg
marblecupcakeshimmer.jpg (12.82 KiB) Viewed 130 times
~~shimmer~~

Post by shimmer » July 26th, 2009, 8:48 am
I found some other pics...first up a variety of cuppies for my niece''s 5th bday
Attachments
shimmerbdaycupcakes.jpg
shimmerbdaycupcakes.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 130 times
~~shimmer~~

Post by shimmer » July 26th, 2009, 8:48 am
next, a reese pb cake
Attachments
shimmerpbcake.jpg
shimmerpbcake.jpg (47.58 KiB) Viewed 130 times
~~shimmer~~

Post by shimmer » July 26th, 2009, 8:50 am
That was still during decorating! I finished with swirls of chocolate sauce but it didn''t look so pretty so I won''t postImage This is a carrot cake I made last weekend...
~~shimmer~~

2575 posts • Page 65 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, ..., 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, ..., 70, 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

« Return to Family, Home & Health