Date: 3/28/2009 12:27:25 AM
Author: lili

Date: 3/27/2009 8:19:04 PM
Author: Skippy123
These are the so cute!

Yes they are.
Did your neighbor make them herself?
Thanks for sharing.
They are the bite size. no, she bought them. Thanks Lili and Marcy!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha its very rare that cupcakes can look UGLY imo. and even when they do, they probably still TASTE good. i like the mint choco one!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to try to make cupcakes for the first time ever this week--any recipe suggestions for a newbie like me?
(I'm deathly allergic to strawberries, for what it's worth.)

Thanks, cupcake mavens!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look delish Skippy, that was so nice of your neighbors!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That was really nice of your neighbors Skippy, they look so yummmmy.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
ok, now I need sugar!
those are cute!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda and Lisa; I was really touched. I wish hubby was here to try them with me. It was fun because they are the bites. I ate 3 yesterday and 3 today. hehe I never thought I would like bites but they are so much fun because you can check out the different flavors like a box of chocolates. I think if any of my family has a birthday I will do the bites so they can sample a bunch of different ones.
41.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 5:50:24 PM
Author: bebe
ok, now I need sugar!
those are cute!
do they have a cupcake shop nearby? hehe
31.gif

Mara, you are right even ugly ones are yummy. When I am baking mine tend to be ugly; I need to learn how to frost. hehe I loved the banana one; I am such a banana girl. hehe

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven you could try googling for recipes, there are so many on blogs out there!

Are you allergic to dairy and stuff too? If so you could try a Vegan recipe, there is actually a Vegan cupcake book, I have it but I have never made anything from it which is kind of funny. I also have a Gluten free cake book which again, never made anything! Hahaa. But I do have the ingredients in the pantry.

I have had some amazing vegan baked goods that to me taste as good if not better than ''original''.

If you are not allergic to dairy and wheat then I''d say make a vanilla butter cupcake..yum!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Haven- do you have a specific flavor in mind? If not, I''d recommend Billy''s Vanilla Vanilla cupcakes (can google to find the recipe). They''re a great basic vanilla and have turned out well every time I have made them.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Haven--i think a basic vanilla, as others have suggested, is the best flavor to start with. To me, a basic vanilla cuppie with a great buttercream is the ultimate in sweet simplicity.

Skippy--those look YUMMY

Mara--i agree, even messy cuppies are yummy looking. There is an endearing quality to cupcakes. Anything goes.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
This morning, my boss (she''s also my BF) gave me a wee little cupcake from the sampler that she ordered from Crumbs Bake Shop in NYC. She ordered yesterday, they were delivered this morning, frozen, and I hate to tell you what she paid for that!! OMG, they had better be good, right?

This was possibly the most scrumptious thing I ever put in my mouth: I give you The Grasshopper!

cup_Grasshopper.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream in the middle, green mint buttercream (or cream cheese?) on top, with a dollop of vanilla buttercream, Oreo sprinkles, and semi-sweet chocolate morsels.

I swear, I nearly licked the paper!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the recipe ideas, ladies! I''ve drooled on this thread long enough!

I''m taking your suggestions and starting with vanilla, which also happens to be my favorite flavor.
Icekid--I''m starting with Billy''s recipe, thank you!

Mara--Thank the-deity-of-your-choice that I am NOT allergic to dairy. I wouldn''t know what to eat if I were!

Holl--That cupcake looks delicious.

I will, of course, post pictures when I''m done. Thanks again! I''ll go back to quietly lurking on this thread now . . .

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 4:12:18 PM
Author: HollyS
Chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream in the middle, green mint buttercream (or cream cheese?) on top, with a dollop of vanilla buttercream, Oreo sprinkles, and semi-sweet chocolate morsels.

I swear, I nearly licked the paper!
Oh gosh, that looks good, sounds kind of like a thin mint girl scout cookie, YUM
18.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, cupcake mavens, I have a question:

Can I substitute buttermilk for whole milk in Billy''s vanilla Vanilla cupcake recipe? I have buttermilk, so I''m trying to get out of buying whole milk for the recipe.

Thanks again!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a carrot cake cupcake recipe in this thread somewhere? I''ve been looking and if there is one, I think I missed it because I was droooooooling over the pics of everyone''s creations.
2.gif
I''d like to make them for an Easter get-together this weekend. TIA!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes you can use buttermilk, but i don't know what the exact changes would be. freke would probably know... but i think you might need to decrease baking powder and add baking soda to use it? also it's thicker typically so i would add a bit more flour. but then you are messing with the recipe big time.

this is a good buttermilk vanilla i have made before....a good vanilla is not so much the recipe as the lots of vanilla you should use (and if it says 2 tsp then put WAY more). http://bakingbites.com/2007/06/vanilla-buttermilk-cupcakes/ (oh and nix the almond in these, its VANILLA cupcake)

my fave carrot cake or cupcake so far is Bill's Big Carrot Cake from Dorie Greenspan, google it and you will find TONS of blogs that post the recipe.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara--Thank you! You guys are the best!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 5:51:45 PM
Author: equestrienne
Is there a carrot cake cupcake recipe in this thread somewhere? I've been looking and if there is one, I think I missed it because I was droooooooling over the pics of everyone's creations.
2.gif
I'd like to make them for an Easter get-together this weekend. TIA!
On page 7 Nan (SevenOne's used this carrot cake recipe) she said she halved the recipe and came out with 24 cupcakes. Yum carrot cake is delicious!! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23796073/

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I have a great basic white cake recipe if you''d like it Haven.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 2:18:36 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I have a great basic white cake recipe if you''d like it Haven.

Yes, please, Penn. Thank you!

My first batch of Billy''s Vanilla Vanilla cupcakes are in the oven now, I''m excited to see how they turn out. I really like using my KitchenAid stand mixer, so I''m going to spend the rest of my spring break trying out different recipes.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 6:01:29 PM
Author: Skippy123
On page 7 Nan (SevenOne''s used this carrot cake recipe) she said she halved the recipe and came out with 24 cupcakes. Yum carrot cake is delicious!! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23796073/

Thanks so much Skippy!
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made cupcakes!
And they''re edible!

I used Billy''s Vanilla Vanilla recipe, and the frosting was sickly sweet, but they totally turned out delicious. Can you tell I''m shocked? I can cook, but baking scares the heck out of me.

I''m almost embarrassed to share pictures, because your cupcakes all look so amazing and mime, well, don''t. I have no idea how to properly apply the frosting, but I used those frosting pouches with tips, which I only have for when I make cottage or shepherd''s pie, and that worked better than trying to just slop it on.

Thanks for your tips and recipes! I loved making these, I''m definitely going to make more.

Here goes:

Havenscupcakes1.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you tell DH and I had fun applying the frosting? We were like a couple of little kids. They look awful!

The obligatory close-up shot:

havenscupcakes2.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Here you go Haven.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

1 Box Betty Crocker White Cake Mix
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Almond Emulsion

In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.

In the mixer bowl (I have a KA Artisan), add the remaining ingredients. Mix together on stir (low). Add dry ingredients to the bowl, still mixing on low until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Increase the speed to medium (about 5) and mix for 2 minutes.

If you use this as a straight cake batter, bake at 300 F for 20 minutes and then turn your oven up to 325 and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Every oven is different. If it pulls away from the edges it is over done. When I use a cake pan bigger than 9, I put a flower nail in the center.

For cupcakes, I bake at 325 for 20 minutes.

This makes 1 1/2 times the usual batter than a straight cake mix.

You can replace the white cake mix with any other and the flavorings can change in response. I personally like Crème Bouquet and Wedding Bouquet.

When I make chocolate, I omit the water and use 1 cup of strong coffee instead. And I personally prefer milk over water in any cake. I think it makes a moister and richer cake.

Also, whatever you do, do not use Duncan Hines. If you do, your cake will sink.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven your cupcakes look great and very edible.

Pennquaker, do you put the flower nail in upside down then pull it out when you are cooling your cake? Interesting about DH - I baked one in my regular sized oval pan and it fell.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Penn!

Skippy and Marcy--Thanks! Now I just have to figure out what to do with 25 cupcakes . . .

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 10:15:55 PM
Author: Haven
Can you tell DH and I had fun applying the frosting? We were like a couple of little kids. They look awful!

The obligatory close-up shot:
They look fabulous!!!
36.gif
What about sharing with your neighbors? Or family? Or students. hehe

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this photo on a blog today and just had to share!! Doesn''t this cupcake look so good??? I have to admit, I''m not a huge fan of the ingredient list though for the cream filling. Maybe there''s a better alternative?

cupcake cream photo.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results