The Cupcake Thread!

Share about family life. From before birth and beyond.

• 2575 posts • Page 40 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Post by iwannaprettyone » December 3rd, 2008, 11:23 am
Mara,

I am D-ROOLING over here! It is 4:30 and I am tired and hungry sitting in cubicle land. Your gorgeous cupcukes make me smile!

Post by Jas12 » December 3rd, 2008, 3:48 pm
Mara--those are BEYOND gorgeous cuppies. You are so talented. I wish i could do icing/piping like you and the flavors you come up with are delish.

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you spend on your creations each week? Are you always working on new recipes or is it something you do in spurts? (forgive me if you''ve answered this before, i haven''t read thru this whole thread)

Post by Skippy » December 3rd, 2008, 4:18 pm
Mara, those are works of artImage
Skippy

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/1896249wrr738gi7w.gif

"The only things that stand between a person and what they want in life are the will to try it, and the faith to believe it's possible" Rich Devos

Post by Mara » December 4th, 2008, 8:15 am
oh and btw, fleur you are right about caramel hardening after cooling when baked into something like cupcakes. it''s just best to either fill it after the fact or drizzle it on unfortunately.

jas...well each week is different. this week i haven''t had much to do with baking thank goodness, too much else going on. but this wkd i will be making about 6-7 dozen cupcakes for 2 events. when i made the 11 dozen cupcakes 3 weeks ago it took me 9 hours from start to finish with baking and decorating and packaging (over span of 1.5 days). the 12 dozen cupcakes from last week took me about 6 hours because there were less flavors and i was not ''as creative'' with decorating meaning i just did more basics than time consuming items because i was more time constrained.

i make toppers as stress release while watching TV on weekday nights so that i always have them around or know in advance what i will need for an event (aka i need to make footballs tonite for one of the events this wkd). and i tend to experiment only on weeks or days when i know i don''t have any events going on, so that it''s for pleasure and not a requirement! Image

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

Post by lili » December 4th, 2008, 8:36 am
Mara
I just love how your cuppies look -- they are little masterpieces.

Jas12
Your linzers look so pretty and yummy.

Post by Jas12 » December 5th, 2008, 2:44 am
Thanks Mara--really interesting. You must get so much business just by word of mouth. You''ll need to hire out extra help soon Image

There are some really talented bakers on PS! Keep posting pics, i luv looking at them

Post by Tacori E-ring » December 5th, 2008, 3:01 am
Mara, you are SO talented! They are beautiful (as is your photos). I am so proud of you!
Expectations are nothing but premeditated resentments.

Happiness is an inside job.

Post by Dreamgirl » December 5th, 2008, 10:24 am
OMG I can't believe I never came into this thread!!! I've always seen it but I don't spend much time at all over here in FHH so I never looked. All of your treats here looks so gorgeous and very very yummy!!!!

I wanna play! May I? Image This thread is AWESOME!!!!! So if it's ok to show some cake? Image I always do crazy cakes for my boyfriend's birthday. This year, I made him his very own pizza cake.
I baked the cake mix in a round pan and cut off the top to make it flat....For the frosting, I tried food coloring but that didn't work. So I ran out to Michaels and bought some frosting coloring it worked out ok.........for the cheese, I grated white chocolate. But here is the trick! If you grate the white chocolate out of the package then it grates too small and it crumbles very easily. So if you put it in the microwave for a while to soften it and then slowly grate it, you get longer strips of cheese! Lastly for pepperoni, I cut fruit roll ups into circles. My boyfriend LOVED it!! Although, he told me he thought it was a real pizza, only frozen..
These aren't fancy angled photos though:
Attachments
dgbdaypizza.jpg
dgbdaypizza.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Dreaming of the Osaka sun...

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/tcmasbox234.jpg

Post by Dreamgirl » December 5th, 2008, 10:25 am
And of course, it came fully equipt with it''s very own pizza box...
Attachments
dgbdaypizza2.jpg
dgbdaypizza2.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Post by Nocturnius » December 7th, 2008, 8:36 am
OH MY GOD. Cupcakes are so cute!

I can''t believe I''m sitting at work reading about cupcakes. Image

I love the site Bakerella. Image Gorgeous cupcakes and delicious, too! I must come back and read more pages of this lovely thread!
-

My knowledge of the human skull should concern you.

Post by neatfreak » December 7th, 2008, 8:53 am
Dreamgirl that is an adorable cake!

Post by Skippy » December 7th, 2008, 9:30 am
Date: 12/5/2008 4:25:01 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
And of course, it came fully equipt with it's very own pizza box...
That is adorable Dreamgirl, you did a fantastic jobImage Image  Very creative!!!
Skippy

"The only things that stand between a person and what they want in life are the will to try it, and the faith to believe it's possible" Rich Devos

Post by Tacori E-ring » December 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Dreamgirl! So freaking cute! What other cakes have you done in the past?
Expectations are nothing but premeditated resentments.

Happiness is an inside job.

Post by Dreamgirl » December 8th, 2008, 11:57 am
Thank you ladies! You are too kind!

Tacori- The other cakes were actually store bought but we always did something funny for him. One year we had a cake made with clouds and some...well...turds Image with a halo above it saying "Holy S*** it''s S''s Birthday!" Another year we spelt Happy Birthday S backwards, another year (no offense to anyone) a spanish birthday cake (everything was written in spanish) as a joke. There are so many.....I really like how this year''s cake turned out. I just might have to make next years cake myself as well!

I do however enjoy making Christmas cookies. I will be off from work the week of Christmas so I will make sure to take photos to share with you!

Post by dixie94 » December 23rd, 2008, 3:10 pm
Mara, WOW! Your cupcakes look great. I''d love to see more pictures. If you don''t mind sharing, what tip did you use for the Chai and Strawberry cupcakes? They all really look great!

Here''s some more I''ve made recently. First is Peppermint:
Attachments
peppermintps.JPG
peppermintps.JPG (15.03 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by dixie94 » December 23rd, 2008, 3:12 pm
Next is Raspberry - White Chocolate. There was raspberry jam (couldn''t find fresh raspberries here) in the cake batter, then a layer of jam on top of the finished cake and white chocolate, raspberry frosting. I wish you could see the layer of jam for the picture but the frosting was a bit liquidy from all the jam so it spread fast!
Attachments
raspberryps.JPG
raspberryps.JPG (20.03 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by dixie94 » December 23rd, 2008, 3:14 pm
This one, Chocolate cake and leftover Caramel frosting from my Thanskgiving cupcakes, with a little chocolate frosting on top. For some reason, these cupcakes came out much smaller than all my others. No idea why!
Attachments
chocps.JPG
chocps.JPG (23.2 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by dixie94 » December 23rd, 2008, 3:18 pm
Ok, just two more. Ok maybe one more b/c I can''t seem to attach one Image
I made these for a friend''s son''s holiday party. Chocolate cake, white icing and sprinkles!
Attachments
chocsprinklesps.JPG
chocsprinklesps.JPG (18.45 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by pennquaker09 » December 23rd, 2008, 8:40 pm
May I get your caramel icing recipe?
Sephora is the mothership! - diamondfan

Post by Sizzle » December 25th, 2008, 1:12 pm
I had to share my friends cupcakes. Aren''t they beautiful!
Attachments
smorecupcake.jpg
smorecupcake.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by Mara » December 27th, 2008, 10:02 am
hi miss dixie...sorry i don''t check in on PS very often but when i do this is the thread i peek into!! honestly i do not know what tips i use half the time. i have over 20 of them and many of the same ones or same ones but diff brands...and i just choose by ''what do i want to do today'' kind of thing. or also how my frosting is...if its looser i will choose a smaller tip and thicker can take larger tips to make great swirls. but mostly i use 1C, 1B, 1E and some really large random ones i bought online in Australia that don''t even have #''s on them.

i have a ton more pictures too but just haven''t really had time to do anything with them. for my realtor this holiday, i did his xmas gifts to clients, 37 dozen over 4 days, yes it was CRAZY. i am so glad it''s over...breaktime!!!! happy cupcaking holidays everyone.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Albert Einstein

Post by Missjaxon » December 27th, 2008, 11:47 pm
This thread is sinful! I find myself checking in often to see what new yummy treats you all have posted. I wish I could reach through my computer screen and taste all of them! There are some very talented bakers in this thread! I might have to make a batch myself just to get over my craving. Image

Dreamgirl I LOVE your pizza cake.... what a creative idea!! It is adorable. Great Job!! Image

Post by FL Steph » December 28th, 2008, 5:37 am
Just wanted to pop in and say hi! All the cupcakes and cakes posted have been beautiful! Here is a cupcake order I just finished for a baptism.
Attachments
baptismcupcake2.jpg
baptismcupcake2.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by Skippy » December 28th, 2008, 7:51 am
Dixie love all the beautiful cupcakes, very talented!!!  Sizzle, your friends cupcakes are beautiful!

Steph, those are gorgeous, love the decorations!!ImageYou are so talented!
Skippy

Post by FL Steph » December 28th, 2008, 8:20 am
Thanks, Skippy! I forgot to add these pics earlier....my Christmas cupcakes I gave out to friends:)
Attachments
christmascupcakes1.jpg
christmascupcakes1.jpg (54.05 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by canuk-gal » December 28th, 2008, 2:27 pm
HI:

Everyone''s cuppies are fabu!  Drooling all over my screen.....

I''m making homemake puff pastry for beef wellington and chaussons aux pommes--too bad pastry doesn''t photograph very wellImageImage...

cheers--Sharon
"People who possess great qualities, do not need to show off".

Post by FireGoddess » December 28th, 2008, 3:17 pm
Wow Mara, those are some freakin gorgeous cupcakes!

A friend of mine who knows how crazy cuckoo I am about red velvet gave me a tin of the Sprinkles RV cupcake mix.  I made them for Christmas dinner and I have to say, they were DELISH.  Way better than the RV cupcakes they actually sell in the Sprinkles store.  I don''t know why that is, but that was my experience!  (Which is great, cuz they sell the cupcakes for something like $3-4 each, and the mix is only about $15 and makes almost 2 dozen in my hands!!)

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/1237347t680xm00ub.gif

Post by Elegant » December 28th, 2008, 10:49 pm
I remember seeing this thread or reading about the cupcake theme in the hangout or ring section of this forum - I was hoping to bring the two together!

A love for cupcakes and a love for jewelery/rings...although it isn't edible or worth very much, I ran into this lovely piece of art...on Etsy...anybody ever seen one of these?

My apologies for not offering any real cupcakes...just thought you might get a kick out if this! Isn't it cute????
Attachments
Cupcakering.jpg
Cupcakering.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Post by dixie94 » December 29th, 2008, 3:36 am
Date: 12/24/2008 2:40:07 AM
Author: pennquaker09
May I get your caramel icing recipe?

Pennquaker, my icing recipe is pretty simple. For 1 dz, 4 T of butter, about 4 T of cream cheese. Add somewhere between 2-3 cups powdered sugar. I usually find that I need more sugar than I think or than a recipe calls for in order to frost all the cupcakes. Then, just melt some of the Kraft caramels and add in according to taste.
Very simple and not an exact recipe. I like to add cream cheese to my icing b/c I think it''s too sweet otherwise. If I want more of a cream cheese flavor, I add 6 or 8 T of cream cheese. For 2 dz, I usually put in 6 T of butter and closer to 4 cups powdered sugar.

Mara, I understand about not knowing which tips you use. I have a handful and generally just pick one. One of these days (when I have a coupler), I''m going to try them all and take pictures so I can remember the differences. Good tip about choosing based on frosting consistency, I hadn''t thought of that. I actually found a one day class in February that I''m excited to take. I hope I''ll learn how to perfect my technique and learn something new. More pics when you have time!

Steph, your cupcakes look great! Congrats on your business taking off!

Skippy, thanks! It''s fun trying new recipes.

Sizzle, those cupcakes are nice and creative!

Post by FL Steph » December 29th, 2008, 4:08 am
Thanks, Dixie. Your creations look great too! What is the name of your class you are taking? I would love to take a class on decorating.

2575 posts • Page 40 of 861, 2, 3, ..., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, ..., 83, 84, 85, 86

« Return to Family, Home & Health