shape
carat
color
clarity

Sore jaw after dental cleaning?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I had a dental cleaning and a full mouth of x-rays (16 total) on Friday. Since Saturday, both sides of my jaw are so sore and feels like there's pressure in it that is also spreading to my left ear. Kind of like my ear needs to pop feeling but in my jaw. I'm starting to worry that there's something wrong! I need a dental crown on my left lower molar (and I've known about that and I get that done this coming Friday) and I have a small cavity on my upper right molar. But everything else looks great.

Is this normal? Does anyone else get sore jaws after any dental work?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you are in such discomfort. Yes, it is totally possible. 16 Xrays are a lot and you do have to hold you teeth/mouth in difficult positions during them so I think that is probably the cause. If it doesn't start to feel a bit better each day then you should call the office but I think most likely that is what is going on. Sending speedy recovery dust your way!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do but a few dentists have mentioned the dreaded TMJ.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jaw is always sore after cleanings and/or work. I don't have TMJ (as far as I know) but holding my mouth open for that long always makes for a rough couple of days. I do MUCH better when the dentist use the bite piece to hold my mouth open because it allows me to relax my jaw. I had a root canal and crown using the bite thingy to hold my mouth open and I had no pain after.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like it could be TMJ, I have it on my left side and I am pain for sometime after I get my teeth cleaned, it got so bad that know I dont even go to the dentist :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results