shape
carat
color
clarity

Sleep Positioners

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Tucker is a side sleeper, and can roll from his back to his side. This, of course, freaks me out- he's only 8 weeks and if he was to roll onto his tummy, I doubt he'd be able to move his head to breathe. I am looking into getting a sleep positioner...but the FDA now says they shouldn't be used. Are they really that dangerous? Or are they dangerous just when used incorrectly?

Keep in mind, I still use a Nap Nanny and those were recalled....but the accidents from those came from parents who were using them incorrectly (in a crib, up on a counter, etc.). Is this the same deal? Or are they actually dangerous?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you talked to your doctor about it? I remember it was a concern of mine when M was born, he said if she's able to roll herself over then she's old enough to sleep that way.

I'd be more comfortable with that then putting anything in the bed.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1427147813|3851488 said:
Have you talked to your doctor about it? I remember it was a concern of mine when M was born, he said if she's able to roll herself over then she's old enough to sleep that way.

I'd be more comfortable with that then putting anything in the bed.

No, but his 2 month appointment is on Thursday, so I will ask then.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
amc, yeah my understanding is that most of the sleep positioners are not considered safe due to SIDS concerns. But I completely understand your concern, Ev used to get himself up on his side to sleep right from the start, like at a week old, and being the paranoid first time mother and father that we were, DH and I slept in shifts because we were so afraid he'd roll all the way over on to his tummy and suffocate. We also used the Angelcare motion sensor baby monitor to give us a little more peace of mind. I remember our pediatrician suggested rolling up a receiving blanket and laying it in front of him, so he couldn't get all the way over, but I don't think we ever tried that. Maybe T is just a strong little guy and getting close to being able to roll over. Do you still have him swaddled?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monkeyprincess|1427210907|3851771 said:
amc, yeah my understanding is that most of the sleep positioners are not considered safe due to SIDS concerns. But I completely understand your concern, Ev used to get himself up on his side to sleep right from the start, like at a week old, and being the paranoid first time mother and father that we were, DH and I slept in shifts because we were so afraid he'd roll all the way over on to his tummy and suffocate. We also used the Angelcare motion sensor baby monitor to give us a little more peace of mind. I remember our pediatrician suggested rolling up a receiving blanket and laying it in front of him, so he couldn't get all the way over, but I don't think we ever tried that. Maybe T is just a strong little guy and getting close to being able to roll over. Do you still have him swaddled?

It's scary!! No, he's not swaddled. He prefers to hold his hands (like a choir boy) and freaks out if he loses access. I might just do the rolled blanket for peace of mind.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, any update? What did the doctor say

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel said:
So, any update? What did the doctor say

Yes! The doctor basically said that at this age, even if they can get to their sides, they probably can't get to their stomachs. Since doing so requires moving the arm a certain way, and that's a developmental thing. He wasn't against sleep positioners but said they were necessary because of this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results