shape
carat
color
clarity

Radio star slammed for feeding baby whilst walking....

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
...across the street.

The news story..

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/row-erupts-over-jackie-os-feeding-furore/story-e6frfmqi-1226032841515

She has also been critisised for going back to work after 8 weeks. (her husband is a stay at home dad, and according to one blog, she has a studio set up in her house so she can do her show from home).

I think it is really sad that someone in this position (minister for families) has gone after her and compared her to Michael Jackson and the baby dangling over the balcony incident, not to mention criticizing her decision to return to work. What happened to supporting women in what ever decision she makes in regards to parenting and work choices?

Thankfully many women seem to be supporting Jackie O.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/baby-blog/an-open-letter-to-pru-goward-20110404-1cvyw.html

I'm curious if anyone thinks what she did was really that bad? In my mind bottle feeding a baby whilst walking across the street is obviously not an ideal situation, but its not as bad as the MJ incident either.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
That's really stupid. So what, she should have paused in feeding to RUN across the street then continue? Not feed her baby in public ever? WHAT?

Goward is a moron.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I agree. That's stupid. It in no way compares to Jackson dangling his child. Really? Just... REALLY?

ETA : I suppose babies shouldn't be fed on overnight trains b/c the train might crash, nor on any kind of boat b/c lord knows they could just fly right into that water. I suppose they shouldn't be fed while walking ever because they might just fall right on out of those strong protective momma arms. :nono:

People disgust me.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Well the way she's holding the baby is somewhat questionable. She doesn't seem to be very secure. If the light was red and she had the right of way then I'm not sure what the issue is with her crossing the road. If she were running across then yes that's a dangerous decision. I guess this person expects children to always be in a stroller or something? I wonder what their thoughts are on breast feeding in a moby while crossing.

As for the working comment, you'll be surprised how judgmental and harsh people can be to women when it comes to this debate. I don't even bother with it anymore.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don't get the "scandal." Are you supposed to have your baby in a stroller at all times if it's outside of your home? You get slammed for nursing and for using a bottle? WTH?

I see nothing wrong with that photo. I have carried my daughter like that several blocks. I have fed her like that on one occasion too. Walking to my in-laws down the road, Baby in my arms and bottle in her mouth.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
If you are not eligible for FMLA in the USA, you would need to take unpaid leave for your maternity leave, which a lot of people cannot afford. Do people think those mothers are horrible because they have to choose between not paying rent and going back to work?

The important thing is that the child has someone taking care of it and in this case it's her *husband*. It seems she is able to work a reduced schedule at home and have her husband as the primary caregiver. I'm not sure what there is to criticize here.

It's a lot like when people ask where the daughters are and who is tucking them in when they see Mrs. Obama travelling a lot. No one ever asks that when Pres Obama travels or works a lot. It's an annoying double standard. :rolleyes:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Feeding your baby while crossing the street is rather silly, don't you think?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I think stopping the feeding could cause the baby to throw himself around or at least wiggle quite a bit. I think that would be more of a risk while crossing the street.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
When you said feeding I thought breast feeding at first - which I am against in public anyway. But bottle feeding?! The news apparently just needs somebody to pick on :nono:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1302053955|2888817 said:
When you said feeding I thought breast feeding at first - which I am against in public anyway. But bottle feeding?! The news apparently just needs somebody to pick on :nono:

Er, why? What is wrong with a woman discreetly breast-feeding a baby? Boobs are after all there for that very purpose!

I often walk around shops/down the street while breast-feeding Daisy in the Mei Tai and it doesn't take all my concentration so I don't see why this woman should be criticised for bottle feeding while crossing the road - is it worse than using a mobile phone?

I loved the comment at the bottom of the article from the person who was most concerned that the baby didn't have shoes on! :bigsmile:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1302083914|2889037 said:

Er, why? What is wrong with a woman discreetly breast-feeding a baby? Boobs are after all there for that very purpose!

I often walk around shops/down the street while breast-feeding Daisy in the Mei Tai and it doesn't take all my concentration so I don't see why this woman should be criticised for bottle feeding while crossing the road - is it worse than using a mobile phone?

I loved the comment at the bottom of the article from the person who was most concerned that the baby didn't have shoes on! :bigsmile:

Yeah the attitude that breast feeding isn't natural in public but bottle feeding is kind of boggles my mind.

But then again, it's much easier to have that opinion when you've never experienced a screaming, hungry infant and the car was too far to walk to and the idea of feeding a baby in a bathroom is so disgusting.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
While I am not sure about the grip she has on the baby in either photo, I don't understand why it is a problem to bottle feed a baby while crossing the street at a crosswalk, presumably with the light. When the baby is hungry, you feed her. Is she supposed to stand at the intersection until the bottle is finished or remove the bottle from her crying baby's mouth until she gets to the other side? Using one hand to cradle the baby and the other to hold the bottle does not render a woman incapable of walking or using her eyes to watch for cars. Is the real issue that Pru thinks she should be at home with the baby all day feeding her there?

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jackie O isn't a saint herself when it comes to criticising other people. Her co-host is one of the rudest and most judgemental people in the country and she has made millions by standing beside him while he has made personal attacks on people based on their physical appearance, life style choices and even an incident where they hooked a 14 year old up to a lie detector live on the radio and asked incriminating questiones about drugs and her sex life...

I don't think anything makes it ok to scrutinise a mother in public like she has been for her personal choices regarding work, but I can in a way understand how some media outlets see her as an open target to tear down (though don't think they picked an appropriate issue at all) . It doesn't make it right but in a way I don't really feel sorry for her. I do feel bad for all the other women and families who will read those kinds of articles and feel anxiety about whether they will be judged in the same way, I also hate to think that media organisations think that it is acceptable to print that kind of rubbish about women.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
fiery|1302087586|2889049 said:
Pandora|1302083914|2889037 said:

Yeah the attitude that breast feeding isn't natural in public but bottle feeding is kind of boggles my mind.

But then again, it's much easier to have that opinion when you've never experienced a screaming, hungry infant and the car was too far to walk to and the idea of feeding a baby in a bathroom is so disgusting.

What craziness is this? I live in a place where the right to breastfeed (anywhere) is considered fundamental enough to be quite rigorously protected by law, so I'm always stumped when I run up against this attitude elsewhere. I guess I'm just as intolerant as the next person, since I'm against people who are against breastfeeding, public or otherwise.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
A radio personality here in Houston, TX just returned to her show at 6/7 weeks pp... and she is in the studio.

Who cares? This story is ridiculous.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Concerning my breastfeeding in public comment - I always have, and always will, see breasts as sexual. Not once have I had the desire to have a child and the entire idea of a woman carrying, pushing through her vaginal opening, and then letting a small human suckle her breast is beyond my comprehension. I see it as weird and disgusting and something I've never desired. I can't explain myself to many of the upset mom's out there who believe firmly in breastfeeding in public and often see the subject as "agreeing to disagree"

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1303266300|2900645 said:
Concerning my breastfeeding in public comment - I always have, and always will, see breasts as sexual. Not once have I had the desire to have a child and the entire idea of a woman carrying, pushing through her vaginal opening, and then letting a small human suckle her breast is beyond my comprehension. I see it as weird and disgusting and something I've never desired. I can't explain myself to many of the upset mom's out there who believe firmly in breastfeeding in public and often see the subject as "agreeing to disagree"

In that case why make a point of saying that you disagree with it? It's kind of provoking a reaction wouldn't you say?

It might also be worth considering that many of us come across people with your kind of attitude day in and day out and if you find it weird and disgusting then I can only feel very, very sorry for you and all those others assume that there was some kind of sexual trauma or abuse in your past to make you think in this very abnormal way about THE most normal thing in the world.

I just hope that if you come across the 'disgusting' sight of a mother feeding her baby in public then it will be you that leaves the room, bus, restaurant etc and not expect her to.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a silly issue to get up in arms about?? Totally not the same as dangling a baby over the window. I don't see what the bottle has to do with anything at all, frankly. If she was just walking accross the street not feeding the baby, but carrying her in the same position, would they have felt the same way? I guess I just don't see the problem.

I too thought that they meant breast feeding and really wanted to see how she managed that walking accross the street! I never got the hang of doing that in a carrier with my son. I will try harder this time with my second kid.

And seeing breastfeeding as sexual is sad, I am sorry for anyone who feels that way. Kissing in public, and holding hands, now THAT is sexual. I am personally against both activities unless in the dark in your own home, hopefully with your bedroom door locked :rodent:

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1303266300|2900645 said:

YOU don't want to have or feed children so the whole idea is "disgusting"? My, how ignorant. I must say, this is right up there with your teachers are like In-N-Out Burger employees theory...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1303320369|2901007 said:
What a silly issue to get up in arms about?? Totally not the same as dangling a baby over the window. I don't see what the bottle has to do with anything at all, frankly. If she was just walking accross the street not feeding the baby, but carrying her in the same position, would they have felt the same way? I guess I just don't see the problem.

I too thought that they meant breast feeding and really wanted to see how she managed that walking accross the street! I never got the hang of doing that in a carrier with my son. I will try harder this time with my second kid.

And seeing breastfeeding as sexual is sad, I am sorry for anyone who feels that way. Kissing in public, and holding hands, now THAT is sexual. I am personally against both activities unless in the dark in your own home, hopefully with your bedroom door locked :rodent:

It's easier with an instantly adjustable carrier like a Mei Tai - just loosen the straps enough that you bring the baby's head down to nipple level and you're sorted, then just redo the straps when the baby's done to bring them back up to the right level again. I did manage in a Bjorn once - in a cave 50 metres underground - but it was pretty uncomfortable! I have tops that have double fronts that can be unpoppered at the side and then I just fold my bra back on itself rather than having to unhook things or seriously adjust clothing so that helps with not having to take the whole caboddle on and off again...

I have fed Daisy when she was about 3 months old just carrying her in my arms - it was pretty easy but I think only because she has always been a very efficient feeder and latched like a shark, she was small and light and I'm only a B cup so my boobs don't move around too much - I think it would be harder for someone more well-endowed (my sisters - who the boob fairy gave my share to and then some - both find feeding while walking around hard which may be for that reason).

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I think sparkly has been jumped on a bit too much here.

Her initial statement said that she thought it was breastfeeding (which I thought initially too). Yes, she said that she doesn't like public breastfeeding. It seems that those who called her out were LOOKING for a fight. When she replied to the accusations, she didn't say that any woman who does it is disgusting. She said she finds it disgusting. We all know that breastfeeding is natural. So is pooping. Most of us would find that disgusting. She has every right to have an opinion. My husband had a very hard time with me trying to bf because he couldn't de-sexualize boobs. When I squirted DH in the face the first time, I was horrified. I can understand why someone wouldn't view it as the most wonderful thing on the planet.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1303335802|2901211 said:
I think sparkly has been jumped on a bit too much here.

Her initial statement said that she thought it was breastfeeding (which I thought initially too). Yes, she said that she doesn't like public breastfeeding. It seems that those who called her out were LOOKING for a fight. When she replied to the accusations, she didn't say that any woman who does it is disgusting. She said she finds it disgusting. We all know that breastfeeding is natural. So is pooping. Most of us would find that disgusting. She has every right to have an opinion. My husband had a very hard time with me trying to bf because he couldn't de-sexualize boobs. When I squirted DH in the face the first time, I was horrified. I can understand why someone wouldn't view it as the most wonderful thing on the planet.

When you said feeding I thought breast feeding at first - which I am against in public anyway. was what she said. To me that would read as saying that it shouldn't be allowed. If the wording had been something like 'which I find a bit uncomfortable to watch' then I would have felt that it was a comment on how it affected her and fair enough.

If she felt the need to say that she is against breast-feeding in public then she should expect people to comment back. It was not a comment that added in any way to what she said - and I would hazard a guess that she was the one looking for a fight, otherwise why say it?

I live in a country where it is fortunately ILLEGAL to ask someone not to breastfeed in public in any place that is open to the public - so it is very different from pooping. Pooping is not how you nourish a child - it is waste elimination. I wouldn't change my child's nappy in 99% of the places that I will breast-feed in.

Sure she has a right to have an opinion, but what she wrote in her second post was pretty offensive IMO.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I didn't think her initial reaction was offensive, or asking for a fight. And waste elimination is just as natural as nourishment. My point was, some people find all natural things disgusting.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1303338351|2901258 said:
I didn't think her initial reaction was offensive, or asking for a fight. And waste elimination is just as natural as nourishment. My point was, some people find all natural things disgusting.

Really? :rolleyes:

So I guess on first dates I should skip dinner and jump right to taking a dump in public with the new guy? Totally interchangeable!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
elledizzy5|1303338601|2901261 said:

So I guess on first dates I should skip dinner and jump right to taking a dump in public with the new guy? Totally interchangeable!

yes, that's exactly what I said.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1303339371|2901276 said:

Glad that we put babies eating when hungry on the same level as pooping!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
"we" don't. I simply said that while natural, some people find it disgusting. Just because something is natural doesn't make it lovely. I'm not looking for a throw-down. I just don't understand while everyone is blowing this out of proportion.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
elledizzy5|1303339616|2901279 said:
somethingshiny|1303339371|2901276 said:

Glad that we put babies eating when hungry on the same level as pooping!

Sometimes they are equally as urgent!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Pooping and eating are not the same. That's why we can eat in public but we don't poop in public. They are not the same even though they are bodily functions. Most people don't consider eating as disgusting, as a matter of fact we pay good money to eat in public places!! No one pays to poop in public.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don't think Sparkly was jumped on. There are sites where she would have been eaten alive for that ignorant comment but PS is civil to a fault sometimes.

Seeing breast feeding as disgusting and sexual is an ignorant and well, disgusting attitude. There's nothing unnatural about a mom breast feeding and frankly it's that ridiculous opinion that makes a lot of mothers feel guilty which is sad.

And comparing it to pooping? You lost me on that one.

ETA: I didn't get from Sparkly's comment that she finds natural things disgusting. She says breasts are SEXUAL and for that reason having a baby suckle on them is disgusting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results