shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for parents with more than one child...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are expecting our second child in July, when our son will be 2.5 years old, and we are trying to figure out what we will need for the new baby!

If anyone can help with the following...

a) Do I need a double stroller? They are all so big and bulky. We will be buying a double BOB for running, but do I also need a double one for errends etc?? Can I just use the BOB in a pinch (it is very large) or is that a bad plan?

b) How far in advance of the new baby being born should I transition my son out of the crib? We don't want to buy another. The new baby will sleep in our room for a while. Is there anything wrong with transitioning Hunter after the new baby comes? This is an issue because we only have two rooms for kids and would thus lose our guest room when Hunter transitions.

Any other tips for baby stuff when having a second child?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Very exciting!

My daughter was 22 months when my son was born. Technically we have two strollers for DD (a City Mini and a Chicco umbrella one) but we never use the Chicco. We actually don't even really use the City Mini, but when we would go out to the mall, we'd put her in the stroller and I would wear the baby in the Ergo. He's almost 10 months old and has only been in the City Mini twice. Do you have a carrier? Depending on what kind of errands you normally do, I wouldn't get a double. I know a lot of people have been happy with the Sit and Stand setup. The thing to think about it that if your toddler doesn't like sitting in the stroller a lot, then you'll have this big double with only one kid riding in it. But carrying the baby everywhere in the Ergo is just my personal preference...

As for the transitioning, we didn't do it until after the baby was born, but then again, we bought a second crib for him so we weren't evicting the toddler. She wasn't having any issues still being in a crib so we figured why fix something that wasn't broken. We just made a big deal of her having a big girl bed and not a crib like the baby and she never looked back. FWIW, we did get a cheap, $100 crib from IKEA for the baby. Having been down the road of buying a more expensive crib for the toddler, we didn't want to spend much money at all for a 2nd crib.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
logan Thanks! Yes, I like to wear babies too and find it much easier. The only issue with that is when they are very young and you want to go out and let them nap in the carseat transitions are impossible. With HUnter at that stage I found the stroller much easier. Hunter is actually staying in daycare while I am on leave with the second child, so the times when I will have two kiddos will be less frequent -- weekends and ocassionally during the week I guess. We also have the City Mini.

We have thought of buying another crib, like you the first crib was expensive and frankly a waste. Not sure that really solves our problem of not enough rooms though.

My thought was to have Hunter stay in his room in his crib and have baby in our room leaving the third bedroom for guests in those early months (there will be a few)... but then I wondered if Hunter would be upset to transition to a new bed after baby is here? Will be feel displaced to lose his crib to the baby, even though he keeps the same room?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I bought my sister the Bob Revolution when she had her second child. Her other child just turned 3 when I gave it to them. Well, they thought of trading it in for the double Bob, but her son was too tall to fit in it (he had to scrunch down if he would ride in it). He is average height I think? Anyway, I guess that is a complaint about the Bob's (the height limit), so I would check them out in person if you haven't already to see that your son has room to grow. My baby nephew loves his Bob though. I have been wondering if there are other joggers out there that are nice like the Bob but allow for tall kids since I need a double stroller too. eta: When I brought the Bob home from REI it took up a bit of my truck space, I have a SAAB 9-5, not sure if that helps? I thought they were light weight but not sure how they compare in weight to other strollers?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Kyle is slightly older than Hunter is now, and he's starting to refuse to ride in the stroller. I imagine by the time the baby arrives you'll be able to have him walk beside the stroller, or at worst put the baby in a carrier and push him. Can you get one of the ride-on additions for the BOB? I don't remember which brands have those, but it might be an option too.

As for the crib, maybe leave him in there as long as he's not climbing out and transition when the baby is ready to go into that room. He'll be fine transitioning after the baby comes, I think he'll be able to understand by then, and might like the idea of being a big boy and leaving the crib for the baby. If he's anything like Kyle, he may be climbing out before then anyway. I caught my monkey clinging to the top of his crib rail this morning, about to fall off onto the floor ;(

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
So will you put the infant seat in the City Mini? We had the Snap and Go frame for Drew's car seat (it was relatively cheaper- maybe $70, but if I had to do it again, I'd get it used on Craigslist), so if we were out and about with both kids, he was either in the Ergo or if asleep, in the Snap and Go in his infant seat. We ended up giving the Snap and Go to a friend but I think it would've been really easy to sell it later on.

I'm probably the world's wimpiest mom but honestly, I would try to avoid running errands with both kids alone for as long as possible! It took me a long time to get used to having them both alone on the go so when we did errands, my husband either did them himself, or he took Casey, or we both went and Casey either walked or rode in the stroller, while I Ergo'd Drew or pushed him in the Snap and Go.

So, this long-winded post is to recommend the Snap and Go if you want to avoid a double stroller, or put the baby in the City Mini and Ergo the toddler. :bigsmile:

Honestly, I don't know if your son will feel displaced giving his crib to the baby even though he stays in his room. I think a lot of that depends on how he reacts AFTER the baby is born and who can really predict that, right? Casey was super, super jealous of Drew and it would have been bad news all around to give him her crib. Other friends' kids haven't had any jealousy issues. How long do you plan to keep the baby in your room? If you plan for awhile, then any adjustment issues might have faded by then and baby can take his crib with no problem. We had Drew in a Arms' Reach mini co-sleeper and actually did NOT have a 2nd crib planned for him at first, but then he grew to gigantic proportions VERY fast and could not fit into the co-sleeper by 3 months, so we had to buy a 2nd crib b/c we didn't feel Casey was ready for big girl bed.

ETA: Will you be doing daycare drop-off and pick-up while you're on leave or will your husband do that? I did both while on leave and the Ergo was my best friend. Casey's daycare has steps and of course, her classroom was in the basement, so I couldn't use the snap and go for Drew. I got really, really fast at plopping him in there so I could then hold Casey's hand in the parking lot, plus all her stuff, and take her down the stairs. LOVE that Ergo.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer - just wanted to say that you might not get a 'nap in car-seat' kid next time round. Daisy hated the car-seat with a vengeance and having bought a stroller that would take the car-seat I used it a whole THREE times and that was only because I was going to my mother's on the train and she didn't have a car-seat in her car!

My sister - who is on no.3 tried juggling one in stroller and one walking holding hand with her first two (2 years to the day between them) and it was a nightmare. This time round she's putting the new baby in a Mei Tai and not bothering with a stroller at all as it's easier to chase the others: you can run faster to catch them without the stroller.

Re transitioning, I think it would be a lot harder if you were moving Hunter into a new room and the baby into his current room - then, no matter how lovely the new room he could feel he'd been evicted. Since he's staying I would probably wait till the baby was here and then suggest that the crib is for 'babies' and he is now big enough for a 'big boy bed' and take him to choose one. Might be worth waiting till the initial 'who is this intruder' phase has calmed down though.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How robust are you, physically? My friend wears one baby in a sling on her front, and her toddler in a backpack...

She looks pretty tired, though. ;))

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy123|1296669164|2840783 said:
Dreamer, I bought my sister the Bob Revolution when she had her second child. Her other child just turned 3 when I gave it to them. Well, they thought of trading it in for the double Bob, but her son was too tall to fit in it (he had to scrunch down if he would ride in it). He is average height I think? Anyway, I guess that is a complaint about the Bob's (the height limit), so I would check them out in person if you haven't already to see that your son has room to grow. My baby nephew loves his Bob though. I have been wondering if there are other joggers out there that are nice like the Bob but allow for tall kids since I need a double stroller too. eta: When I brought the Bob home from REI it took up a bit of my truck space, I have a SAAB 9-5, not sure if that helps? I thought they were light weight but not sure how they compare in weight to other strollers?

I agree this is an issue with the BOB. Even now I feel like Hunter is not the best fit into it, we have the single one now. Thing is we will need a running stroller. My husband and I run (ran ;)) ) together for our excercise, and can only manage to do it if we bring the kiddos along with us. There are other running chariots that we could look into. Maybe we will make sure to go try them all out before settling in on one thing.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
MustangGal|1296669710|2840796 said:
Kyle is slightly older than Hunter is now, and he's starting to refuse to ride in the stroller. I imagine by the time the baby arrives you'll be able to have him walk beside the stroller, or at worst put the baby in a carrier and push him. Can you get one of the ride-on additions for the BOB? I don't remember which brands have those, but it might be an option too.

As for the crib, maybe leave him in there as long as he's not climbing out and transition when the baby is ready to go into that room. He'll be fine transitioning after the baby comes, I think he'll be able to understand by then, and might like the idea of being a big boy and leaving the crib for the baby. If he's anything like Kyle, he may be climbing out before then anyway. I caught my monkey clinging to the top of his crib rail this morning, about to fall off onto the floor ;(

haha.. I keep waiting for Hunter to climb out as he has not yet. He totally could, I have no doubt in my mind having seen his acrobatics in other areas, he just doesn't try with the crib for whatever reason.

I don't think the BOB has an attachment, but I can look.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1296669867|2840800 said:
So will you put the infant seat in the City Mini? We had the Snap and Go frame for Drew's car seat (it was relatively cheaper- maybe $70, but if I had to do it again, I'd get it used on Craigslist), so if we were out and about with both kids, he was either in the Ergo or if asleep, in the Snap and Go in his infant seat. We ended up giving the Snap and Go to a friend but I think it would've been really easy to sell it later on.

Yes, we have the attachment for the carseat on the citi mini already from our son, it worked fine for us. I too love the Ergo and might just end us using it more this time around. Last time I used to like to get out of the house for 3-4 hours every afternoon, so Hunter would have his afternoon nap in the stroller most days, that's why I think it would be good to have the option. But since I won't often have both kids with me at once a single stroller should be all I need in most circumstances I guess.

I'm probably the world's wimpiest mom but honestly, I would try to avoid running errands with both kids alone for as long as possible! It took me a long time to get used to having them both alone on the go so when we did errands, my husband either did them himself, or he took Casey, or we both went and Casey either walked or rode in the stroller, while I Ergo'd Drew or pushed him in the Snap and Go.

So, this long-winded post is to recommend the Snap and Go if you want to avoid a double stroller, or put the baby in the City Mini and Ergo the toddler. :bigsmile:

haha... Hunter started hating the Ergo when he was about 8 months, so I got a hip sling that is just as comfy as the Ergo and easier to use and Hunter liked it a lot when he was 8 months plus. But now that he is close to 30 lbs and basically a wild alligator, I don't think it would work all that well ;))

Honestly, I don't know if your son will feel displaced giving his crib to the baby even though he stays in his room. I think a lot of that depends on how he reacts AFTER the baby is born and who can really predict that, right? Casey was super, super jealous of Drew and it would have been bad news all around to give him her crib. Other friends' kids haven't had any jealousy issues. How long do you plan to keep the baby in your room? If you plan for awhile, then any adjustment issues might have faded by then and baby can take his crib with no problem. We had Drew in a Arms' Reach mini co-sleeper and actually did NOT have a 2nd crib planned for him at first, but then he grew to gigantic proportions VERY fast and could not fit into the co-sleeper by 3 months, so we had to buy a 2nd crib b/c we didn't feel Casey was ready for big girl bed.

I too have the arms reach cosleeper and planned to use it for a long time with Hunter but did not -- he was too loud for me and I could not sleep next to him. But now our room is much larger and frankly, I am not as sensitive to baby noises so the plan is to have the new baby in our room for at least 6 weeks, longer if possible. We have a huge walk in closet that we will likely put the sleeper inside so that we have a little separation/privacy and I can have the light on to read etc. But I guess we will play it by ear. Hunter will be staying in his own room, what will happen is that the Queen size bed that is presently in the spare room will move into his room and be his bed, and the crib will go into the spare room and that will be the babies room.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1296675402|2840898 said:
Dreamer - just wanted to say that you might not get a 'nap in car-seat' kid next time round. Daisy hated the car-seat with a vengeance and having bought a stroller that would take the car-seat I used it a whole THREE times and that was only because I was going to my mother's on the train and she didn't have a car-seat in her car!

My sister - who is on no.3 tried juggling one in stroller and one walking holding hand with her first two (2 years to the day between them) and it was a nightmare. This time round she's putting the new baby in a Mei Tai and not bothering with a stroller at all as it's easier to chase the others: you can run faster to catch them without the stroller.

Re transitioning, I think it would be a lot harder if you were moving Hunter into a new room and the baby into his current room - then, no matter how lovely the new room he could feel he'd been evicted. Since he's staying I would probably wait till the baby was here and then suggest that the crib is for 'babies' and he is now big enough for a 'big boy bed' and take him to choose one. Might be worth waiting till the initial 'who is this intruder' phase has calmed down though.

ahah.. yes, we could have any sort of kid this next time. I do sort of think that the kiddo can get used to the car seat with enough stubbornes on my part ;)) but you never know. We live in a place where the car is a daily activity too, which is diffeent than London. But I do own an Ergo carrier I like, so all will not be lost. I think whatever we end up doing, we will wait until the baby is here to do it re: stollers etc. I have learned that it is better to wait and see than to plan in advance when it comes to kids.

And I can totally see it is easier to wrangle a toddler with a carrier than a stroller, very very good point.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1296683163|2841067 said:
How robust are you, physically? My friend wears one baby in a sling on her front, and her toddler in a backpack...

Bwaahahaa... I am very strong, but that just seems insane.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1296683656|2841082 said:
MustangGal|1296669710|2840796 said:

haha.. I keep waiting for Hunter to climb out as he has not yet. He totally could, I have no doubt in my mind having seen his acrobatics in other areas, he just doesn't try with the crib for whatever reason.

I don't think the BOB has an attachment, but I can look.

I've been dreading the crib climbing also, and was almost a bit surprised it took him this long. What's a bit funny is his motivation in the climbing. He didn't do it last night when it took him 10 minutes of crying to go to sleep. He didn't do it when he woke up and cried until I came into his room. He did it out of stubborn independence. He didn't want me to lift him out of the crib, he wanted to get out himself.

You won't be able to jog with both kids until the baby's a bit older (6 months isn't it?) so that gives you time to either find a second jogging stroller, or a double. Some of the bike trailers also double as jogging strollers too.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
George and Baby will also be 2.5 years apart.

I'm not completely set yet, but I'm leaning towards just holding off until the baby is here to figure out the stroller situation. We went through a couple of strollers when George was really small as we bought we thought was supposed to be good and not for how we were actually going to use the stroller, and it ended up being really frustrating. In retrospect, I wish that we had just held off until we knew what we wanted and what we were going to use it for. I'm also not sure how much walking G is going to do by 2.5y, versus using the stroller/carrier, and that would also affect what type of stroller would work best. I think we're going to use a combo of our single BOB, our mei tai, and George's own leg power for the first couple of months and see what we think. I am keeping my eyes open though, so I know what kinds of double strollers are out there if I get desperate and have to get one NOW.

BOB does not have a ride-on attachment - I've looked. You may be able to jury-rig one behind the rear wheels, but the handle-bar is such that Hunter would not be able to stand up straight and would have to be scrunched over and that's just silly.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1296684378|2841103 said:
Jennifer W|1296683163|2841067 said:

Bwaahahaa... I am very strong, but that just seems insane.

I couldn't disagree with that assessment... :bigsmile:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Our older daughter and younger one will be 2 years, 8 months apart when #2 is born in June, so we are struggling with similar issues.

We are not doing anything re the stroller for now. A stopped wanting to ride in the stroller a few months ago. She wants to walk (or rather run) whenever we go out, although she sometimes likes to stand on the little cross bar near the base of the back of shopping carts so she gets a little standing ride while we push. Although she doesn't want her stroller now, I wonder if she will reverse course when she sees #2 in "her" stroller. We may end up ordering a ride-along board later.

We are combining our guest room and office so each girl can have her own room. A is currently in the smaller of the 2 rooms. I think that, as the older child, she should have the slightly bigger room with the larger closet. (I am sure she will complain at 13 if little sis has 2' more of closet space. :rolleyes: ) Even though I perceive it as a favor to move her into the bigger room with new furniture (if we decide to reuse her crib rather than buying a second), we are worried she might be upset if #2 moves into "her" room with her crib, etc. The baby will probably room with us the first couple of months, but I wonder if it would be easier to make the change before the baby is born to avoid jealousy, although I'm not sure A is ready for a twin bed just yet.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results