shape
carat
color
clarity

Prenatal Vitamins - what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Are Prenatal vitamins the same thing as Folic acid supplements?

How soon should you start taking them, before trying?

Just curious... I just read a post on another message board about it. I always thought you were just supposed to take Folic Acid.

Thanks,

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they have extra calcium and folic acid and iron. I was told to start taking them while trying because there is the chance you will be preggo. Hopefully a preggo or mom will chime in.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prenatals are have all the vital minerals and vitamins you need while pregnant, plus a higher amount of folic acid than you'd get in an average multi-day. There isn't any harm in taking them early and you should be taking them if you're planning to start trying soon! I started taking them 6 months before trying to conceive to be sure that the folic acid was built up in my system. It's best to already have it in your system to avoid any birth defects!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Folic acid is always talked about b/c it prevents birth defects that can occur in early development--you will get folic acid in a pre-natal vitamin and from foods that you eat. According to what I have read, it is very important to take early on and before getting pregnant if possible.

A pre-natal vitamin is just like a multi-vitamin but more tailored to the specific needs of pregnant women (a cocoktail of calcium, iron etc.)
Getting your vitamins from food sources is still far superior to a vitamin so healthy eating ''should'' be all the average woman needs--but with nausea and all the other wonderful things that influence a pregnant woman''s eating habits, it doesn''t hurt to supplement with a prenatal. I eat very healthfully, but still take one almost everyday just in case i am not getting enough of something.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Folic acid is very effective in preventing neural tube defects in babies, such as spina bifida.

Folic acid is recommended to be taken at least 3 months before conception and then at least during the first trimester of pregnancy (recommendations in Australia). Also, if a mum-to-be is on anti-epileptic medications, the dose of folic acid needs to be higher (10x).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My prenatal had every vitamin I needed (and a stool softener
2.gif
) to bake a healthy baby. I think I started taking it a month or so before TTC (didn''t know I would get preggo so fast) and am still on them since I am nursing. I take PrimaCare One.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies. So, it sounds like prenatal vitamins should be taken as long as you''re trying or are already pregnant, to ensure that you get all the nutrients that you and the baby need? Is that correct?

But folic acid supplements could be taken anytime right...? Say about a year before trying?

Just making sure I have it straight..

Thanks,

Jas12

Ideal_Rock

Hi Sha

I don''t think it would hurt to start taking them a year in advance--at least you would be in the habit. However, I think a few months before hand is what is generally recommended.

Also make sure your partner is good and healthy as well--his little swimmers do play a role

2.gif
. Sure, we do all the hard stuff, but I was happy my DH was super health conscious leading up to conception--I felt better knowing we were both taking good care of ourselves and it made it easier for me to eat healthy etc. when he was on board with it.

Other things you may want to do pre-conception--get rid of things like aspartame or other artificial ''stuff'' in your diet--if in fact it is part of your diet (also makes it easier once you get pregnant if you weaned yourself prior to conceiving).
I switched to all-natural toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and beauty products once I got pregnant--but kinda wish I had at least switched to the aluminum-free deodorant before conception. I may be a little ''over the top'' and my friends roll their eyes at me---that''s why i luv PS--i can be opinionated and not see the eye-rolling hehe
3.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Iron affects the development of the baby''s brain (which starts really early) and most women start defficient, and it takes time to build up your stores. So, starting early with extra iron (before TTC) is a good idea.

Calcium is important because the baby takes as much calcium from your body as he/she needs, and you just get what''s left over, which often isn''t enough for you.

Just to press the folic acid point, spina bifida occurs in the first weeks after conception (like, 2 weeks after... before you may even know you''re pregnant) and sufficient folic acid prevents 70% of cases of spina bifida. So, this is just a no-brainer. If there''s any chance in heck that you even COULD become pregnant, you need to be already taking this supplement because you need to have enough as SOON as you conceive. Two weeks later when you don''t get your period may be too late.

Let''s all take our vitamins ladies! Yum. I just wish there was flinstones vitamins for grownups.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, the folic acid is a biggie, and I was also told by a pharmacist that too much Vitamin A is bad for you if you''re pregnant (can cause birth defects), so prenatal vitamins actually have less Vit. A than regular vitamins.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great information! Thanks! I''m going to start taking the folic acid again. We won''t be trying for a while (about a year) so I guess I shoudl start getting into the habit now.

Just recommended the prenatal vitamins to my friend who''s actively trying - I don''t think she''s taking anything. In fact, I think I''ll pass on this info to all my friends - just in case!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Great advice so far! DH''s med school textbooks say to take prenatals 6 months before conception for their full benefits. But I''ve also heard 3 months quoted elsewhere.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Thanks! I guess between 3-6 months before would be good then.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results