shape
carat
color
clarity

PCOS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Hi , I thought i would start another thread on PCOS as I was not able to post on the other one for some reason. We have a new coarse of action for my daughter.

My daughter is being started on Metformin and spironolactone. She is losing hair like crazy. It is a little unnerving how much is falling out and so rapidly. She will start the meds on Friday when the scripts arrive.

I hope this helps her. She really cannot take the BC pill due to other health issues. this needs to be her answer.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laura, if you ask admin they can reopen the thread for you.

Hope this new plan helps your daughter!

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I have PCOS. I've been on Spironolactone and the right BC for about 5 years now. It cleared almost everything up. Before my hair was falling out in huge clumps, I was getting bald spots, I had face acne and even worse, backne. Spironolactone worked wonders for me with very few side effects. I just have to drink a lot of water and go to the bathroom more. I hope it works as well for your daughter as it did for me!

I was also suffering from major Panic Attacks before getting the right treatment, those also subsided once my hormones were in check.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
thank you neatfreak. I did and it is reopened. YEAH! Thank you

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
okat well I thought it opened, and now when I went back to post this evening i can't again.

ANyway, thank you goobear for sharing your experience. She has been dealing with bad panic and anxiety the last few months. She feels so out of control and wonders why. We got her meds now so we start them this evening. Hopefully it will all work to regulate her and get her feeling better.

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
I''m happy to help. Let me know if you have any other questions. I don''t know everything but I can tell you how it''s been for me.

It took about a full 6 weeks once on the right meds to get most of my symptoms under control, but I felt a huge relief within the first 2 weeks. Also, don''t be afraid to go up in does on the Spirnolactone if needed. I did after about a year and it finally took care of the acne once and for all.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Goobear....

I showed her your response. She is having a hard time.... wishing we would have gotten to the dr sooner and is worried her hair will keep falling out before the 2 weeks are up. She is starting to get one very obvious bald spot.
I started her taking the metformin this morning. I did not want to start both of the meds at the same time.

She also takes another med that makes her pee a lot so now she is having to go every hour almost. That worries me a lot. Her Dr says as long as she is keeping up on her intake she should be fine. We will see. She has blood work scheduled in 2 weeks.

Due to another medical condition that she has, it is highly recommended she NOT take birth control. So we are hoping desperately that the metformin works for her.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Lauralu,
How is your daughter doing? Have her teachers been told that she needs frequent access to the bathroom? Just in case she has someone who isn''t very sensitive... Sending her good vibes, this is such a difficult condition. I used to call it "ugly disease" because that was all that I could see that it did, just made me ugly. Meds can now control that. A doctor of mine pointed out that PCOS is evolutionarily desirable because women could survive on very small amounts of food, and despite reproduction being difficult, it is still possible. This was not a compelling argument for me when the barrage of symptoms were getting me down, but when I think of my grandmother who survived Auschwitz, it makes an interesting theory. Good luck to your daughter, I hope the meds are working.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Lauralu,
Still thinking of you and your daughter. For your daughter or other PCOS ladies who want to discuss/connect with others going through this, I just saw this on pcoscommunity.com a site with discussionboards and such.

PCOSA is now up and running on Facebook!

From your Facebook Profile, search the word "polycystic". You will see one Page come up for "Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Association". Click on this, and this will take you to the page. Then click on "become a fan" in the upper right hand corner. This will give you full access to the page.

Then please invite your Facebook friends to join, who may have interest in PCOS.

Photos have just been uplaoded for several past PCOSA events. Feel free to add your own, as well as begin posting discussions there, and add to our "Wall"!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Swimmer, thanks for checking in on my daughter. She had blood work this afternoon to see how her body is tolerating the Metformin and Spironolactin. She has not seen an difference in her hair yet. Still falling out pretty fast. She cries alot about her hair.

She has had a terrible migrain for the last couple days. I am hoping those get under control better if we can get the PCOS more under control.

No stomach issues with the metformin so thats good.

I joined the facebook ! Thanks for the info on that!

her teachers know she has to go alot already, so they are okay with her being late for class ct. Her science teacher told her the other day. " no , go to the bathroom on your own time" She just laughed and left. He was joking.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results