shape
carat
color
clarity

PCOS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you CJ, I will! I haven''t gotten the presciption filled yet (
20.gif
) but I WILL... um, tomorrow? And I''ll post when I see results. How long did it take you to see results, BTW!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 9:47:16 PM
Author: Gypsy
Thank you CJ, I will! I haven''t gotten the presciption filled yet (
20.gif
) but I WILL... um, tomorrow? And I''ll post when I see results. How long did it take you to see results, BTW!
Hm. I''m not really sure. I was started on 25mg 2x a day. Maybe around 2 weeks I noticed a maaaaa-a-aajor improvement in my hair. After 4 wks on spironolactone, I saw the derm again and he increased my dose to 50mg 2x a day b/c my skin was better, but still fairly clogged up. I told him how happy I was with the spironolactone. At the same visit, he also put me back on some stupid topical acne cream that is called...tazorac. Apparently it is one of the top acne topicals out there, but for the second time, it ruined my skin. So I stopped after 4 wks and told the derm at my 6wk f/u appt that it just doesn''t work for me. As of this week, I''ve been on spironolactone 50 mg 2x a day for 7 wks, off the Tazorac for 3 weeks, and my face has like 1 little comedone, a few clogged pores and a few leftover dark spots from the tazorac induced acne. I would say that after 11 wks total, my face has improved 95%. I know, it''s crazy. My hair feels great. The baby hairs are a little longer now so they''re not so noticable anymore.

Gypsy, I wanted to check with you...how long ago was this prescription written? Did you have a blood test taken, along with your blood pressure recorded at that visit? When a doctor prescribes spironolactone, I believe he needs to monitor your potassium levels and blood pressure. I have to get a blood test every 4-6 wks. I haven''t had any problems, but I just want to make sure someone is keeping track of whatever needs to be recorded.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Hi Girls.

So today is day 50 of my cycle, and no sign of AF yet.
40.gif
7.gif
I''m starting to get really worried about this. My cycles are getting further and further apart! I never thought I''d be jealous of girls on the TTC thread complaining that they are getting theirs every 21 or 23 days. Sigh. I seriously just to hurry up and get married so I can get on FI''s insurance and see a doctor!

Question: Glucophage? Is that a pill or something? I am VERY worried about my fertility, at this point. And I''m sure all this worrying isn''t helping any.

And my face is a disaster. No acne anywhere else though, and no extra hair growth either. That makes me wonder if perhaps I have something other than PCOS. I can''t find out until I go to a dr, obviously, and the waiting is killing me.

I''m weird about going on the pill, because it''s so good at making things work "properly" that I''m afraid I wouldn''t be able to recognize a real problem if I have one. If I was on the pill right now then I''d have no idea that my cycles were so screwed up.

I really really hope that it comes down to nothing more than not enough of a simple hormone being produced. But I admit that I''m starting to get scared that it is something much more serious. When it first started happening I''d freak out and take about 3 pregnancy tests to confirm I''m not pregnant...now I don''t even bother.
20.gif
With the wedding so close I talked to FI about the possibility of not being able to have kids. He said he would be fine with that...which made me relieved and kind of annoyed at the same time. lol. He said we''d just adopt. I really don''t want to think about adoption just yet. But I''m probably jumping the gun here....

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
lucky~ I understand what you''re saying about the pill, but I''ve just started it myself and I''m already feeling better. It''s not masking the symptoms, it''s adjusting the hormone balance to RELIEVE the symptoms. The pill may also help with your acne.

Earlier in the thread, I linked a Glucophage page. It is a pill that from what I understand can be RXed for up to 4 times a day. It can help restore ovulation, too.

My current plan is to remain on the pill for the next several months to restore my cycle. Then, I''ll go off and TTC again.

With PCOS, a dr often recommends Clomid. It''s a ovulation inducing drug. Usually you will have several eggs ripen and be available for fertilization. PCOS doesn''t mean you''ll NEVER have children, it just means it''s harder.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m late here but I also have PCOS (my sister was just diagnosed with it too). I don''t ovulate, which means I usually get my period every 2 months or so. I''m still within my normal weight range but at the higher end, and am significantly heavier than I used to be. Like many of you, it feels impossible to lose weight. I do have adult acne. My PCOS was initially diagnosed by my OB-GYN with an ultrasound (had the "pearl necklace" ovary thing going on) and then was confirmed by a reproductive endocrinologist. My bloodwork came back all normal, and I''m not insulin-resistant, but I still think that the PCOS is related to my lack of weight loss.

Fortunately, the PCOS diagnosis didn''t bother me at all. In fact, it sort of made me feel better that it explained the acne, the weight, etc. When we started to TTC, we obviously were seeing the RE for my issue but also found out that my husband has pretty bad fertility issues as well. They put me on Clomid (the lowest dose) for 3 IUI cycles, and one cycle of Follistim, but the RE said we wouldn''t conceive without IVF. We chose not to do IVF for numerous reasons and are now in the home study phase of adoption.
9.gif

I know people react differently to having PCOS and infertility, but personally, I was always very indifferent to having kids and being pregnant, and I actually liked that the choice of having bio kids was taken out of my hands. It kinda meant I didn''t have to make a choice about something I wasn''t sure about. I''ve never wanted to be pregnant, and this way I can''t and won''t be. My RE wouldn''t put me on Metformin b/c I didn''t have insulin issues but now that we''re not TTC anymore, I need to find a regular endocrinologist and see how I can control the PCOS.

My sister has worse acne than I do, which is due to her having more male hormones. She takes a blood pressure med that helps with the hormone level.

Good luck to everyone! Just listen to your body- you know it best! My original gyno just told me that my lack of periods was due to having come off the pill recently but I knew there was something wrong. I switched doctors and the rest of history.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I've mentioned that I've never really had cycle issues.

Well last Sunday I started my first period since I've been on the Metformin again. I'm on day 11 of my cycle today. I'm concerned.

Boss is being even more unreasonable than usual. We had anohter round of layoffs today. Not sure I can make it to the GYNO.

Plus I'm very stressed out, and I'm sure that's not helping.

How worried should I be, scale of 1-10?

Still haven't filled the perscribtion for the Spir... whatever.Was written about 2 months ago. But you post has me concerned andin light of my bodies current issues, I'm not adding anyting new to the mix.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I''m not a professional, but I think you should go see a doctor. If it''s really heavy flow and it happens often, or goes on for too long, it may cause you to become anemic. I went to see my gyn a few days ago for my annual exam, and told him that I''ve gone from having about 4 cycles a year to 2 cycles a month. But the flow is so light, and I don''t have any other health problems...he said it''s nothing to worry about. He said I can take metformin, but I said no thanks.

I don''t think it''s an emergency but I would say go to the doctor as soon as you can. This could be a good time to ask about the spironolactone and have a full blood test. As long as you don''t have any other symptoms, I think you''ll be ok for now. You could always call your doctor and tell the nurse/secretary, these are my symptoms, how soon do I need to come in? (That''s what I usually do when I *think* I need to see the doctor.)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I never knew this condition existed until I read TCOYF a few months ago. I strongly suspect my mother has this: She and my dad had been trying for 7 YEARS went they conceived my brother, and she has the excessive facial/body hair, acne, long periods and spotting isues. So do my sister and I, as a matter of fact. I scored a 7 in the quiz, so it could be a possibility. There''s no point for me in worrying about this for the moment, but when FI and I will be ready to conceive, I''ll probably have to check it out.

Gypsy - I too think maybe you should see your doc. Good luck, sweetie.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies, just checking in.
Wanted to send out some hugs. Hope that all is going well.

Gypsy, how goes it lady? Staying with the Metformin?

Lauralu, thinking of your daughter, glad that she has you to understand and help her with hair issues and such.

xoxoxo

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm gonna make a MD appointment for the 13th early AM.

I'm taking 500 mg only with the metformin. Only at night. I have to increase, but want to wait till I see the doctor.

Swimmer honey, your wedding AV is TDF. I got distracted at work and closed the window but I wanted to tell you a few things.

A) You are gorgeous.
B) I love your viel.
C) I wanted to see 100 more pics of your wedding. It looked amazing.

Thank you CJ and Anchor and swimmer.
4.gif
How are you all doing?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Hi girls.

No update for me, though still concerned. Lucky me, if things stay the way they are, it looks like my aunt will be visiting the week I''m in Jamaica getting married.
20.gif

I''m just (impatiently) waiting for my insurance to kick in.
I made the mistake of going to the hospital last night. This isn''t related to PCOS, but I was having chest pains and sort of freaked out (my mom had a heart attack at 36). So I went to an emergency center (not a true hospital, but) and they hooked me up to an ekg and had me drink some nasty stuff to see if was a digestive problem.

The doctor said it was probably a pulled muscle in my chest. Final bill: $700. Three weeks before the wedding.
39.gif

But hey, at least I''m alive. Broke, but alive.
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Lucky I''m so sorry! It sucks to have something like that happen! But I''m so glad you are okay and saw a doctor. ((HUGS))

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gyspy.

I told my mom about the $700 and she pointed out that if I truly was having a heart attack the bill would have been more along the lines of 67,000. So I guess I won in that respect.

So, three more weeks until I''m on health insurance!!! Crappy insurance, I believe, but insurance nonetheless!!!
9.gif

Oh, the things I will do....get my eyes checked, talk to someone about my anxiety problems....did I mention there is a fertility clinic opening up down my road? I wonder if I can go there to find out about my girl-problems. I''m basically going to go health-shopping.

Things are starting to look up.
emrosesad.gif
emrose.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies,

This is my 6th cycle off the BCP and my periods are getting gradually more and more out of whack. This month I spotted for ten days before my period, had my period for 7 days and spotted for 5 more days.
40.gif
I told my doctor about it yesterday and since I also have acne and facial hair issues, she put me on Yasmine. I haven''t filled it yet... I became depressed while on Diane35 so I''m a bit apprehensive to go back on the BCP. I probably should though. I didn''t talk to her about my PCOS suspicions. Should I have?

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Dear Anchor,
Yasmin seems to be the bcp of choice for PCOS ladies, its a combo. I don''t think its necessarily bad that you didn''t ask about PCOS with your MD, but it might be a good idea to in the future, and she probably had that in mind.

On a personal note, I take Yasmin and love it. Have taken it for years, it cut down on the headaches, cleared up my face, hair, stopped the cramps, and got me on a regular flow. Before starting to take Metformin, it was my salvation. Now with the two of them together, I''m like a regular person with being able to eat anything, lost weight, no facial hair, no sugar highs and lows. I was reluctant to take any kind of meds, but now I wish I had started earlier.

Gypsy, you have your appt tomorrow, good luck with everything. Thank you for your kind comments about our wedding pictures! You are too sweet. I actually had dear friends hang lanterns in the garden as a result of your inspiring threads on the topic. I''ll post a pic for you lady!

Hugs to all.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks swimmer. There are only 7 weeks left until my wedding so I think I''ll wait ''til after then, just in case. I''ll probably ask about PCOS at my next visit to the doc''s.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just started on Yaz, and I did notice a huge difference in the cramps. I just started my 2nd pack a week ago. It''s supposed to give shorter, lighter periods. But, for some reason, I didn''t start until the last day of the inactive and have been flowing for 7 days, albeit lighter.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just an update on the pill for treatment of PCOS (in my situation)

I''ve gone through almost 3 months on the pill now and have significantly lighter periods and much less cramping. My first period lasted 2 weeks, but since then more like 2 days. I''ve also lost 16 lbs since starting the pill. I have been doing yoga regularly since January but I didn''t really see any changes and didn''t lose weight until I started with the pill.

So, for me, the pill is working well in controlling my symptoms. It''s also really nice to know when to expect the flow especially in summer.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Luckystar I don''t mean to butt in but I wanted to suggest something that may help ease your mind about your potenital fertility without waiting for the doctor or paying any money... there is something called the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM), which is descrbed in a really good book called "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler (sp?). Basically you take your temperature each morning and record it, and also monitor some other signs your body produces during your cycles, and with this information you can determine whether you ovulate or not. It really is a great method and it can be used to help you conceive too, when the time comes, because with long or irregular cycles it can be hard to pinpoint your ovulation date! Doctors will typically not know of this method, and will immediately jump to drugs which may or may not be required to get pregnant if intercourse it timed for the right point in the cycle. Anyways, thought I''d suggest this since I found reading the book really empowering and I think it can be especially empowering for women who have unique cycles and want to get some answers.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 8:31:51 PM
Author: swimmer
Dear Anchor,
Yasmin seems to be the bcp of choice for PCOS ladies, its a combo. I don''t think its necessarily bad that you didn''t ask about PCOS with your MD, but it might be a good idea to in the future, and she probably had that in mind.

On a personal note, I take Yasmin and love it. Have taken it for years, it cut down on the headaches, cleared up my face, hair, stopped the cramps, and got me on a regular flow. Before starting to take Metformin, it was my salvation. Now with the two of them together, I''m like a regular person with being able to eat anything, lost weight, no facial hair, no sugar highs and lows. I was reluctant to take any kind of meds, but now I wish I had started earlier.

Gypsy, you have your appt tomorrow, good luck with everything. Thank you for your kind comments about our wedding pictures! You are too sweet. I actually had dear friends hang lanterns in the garden as a result of your inspiring threads on the topic. I''ll post a pic for you lady!

Hugs to all.

Hello ladies. I''m late to this party, but wanted to join in. I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 16 (my mom has it also). I had the irregular periods (1 to 3 a year) acne and weight problems. I''ve been on BC since the age of 16, which got the periods regulated and took care of some of the acne. I''m also on Yasmin, and it seems the best I''ve tried.

I''m relucatnt to go on meds, because I feel like I should be able to handle it with diet & exercise. But - my weight has continued to increase, despite dieting etc.

I''m interested in Metaformin, but from what I''ve read, it''s not been proven safe during pregnancy/breast feeding, both of which I want to be/do.

On the flip side, getting pregnant is going to be hard without some assistance... I know I should go and talk to my ObGyn, simply because we want to start trying for kids in a few years, and I think I should have a handle on the PCOS before we start. Opinions?

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone......someone asked how old my daughter is and she is going to be 17 this fall. She took her 10 days of progesterone in late May and had a 7 day period that was heavy, clotty and painful. She has not had another yet.She has lost 15 pounds since march which puts her right in her range of what she should weigh.

Her face cleared up really well when she had the period. I am assuming maybe from the progestrone? However, her skin now is really bad again and her facial hair around her chin side of face and upper lip is getting worse again. She is waxing though and it helps a lot.

She also suffers from migraines and chronic daily headache as well as another health condition that can become worse if taking BC. We are really at a loss as to what to do next. Does anyone have dark skin patches? She has this on her chest which is another symptom of PCOS. Her testosterone level was normal. However, reading information from Dr. Charles Glueck who is at the Jewish Hospital Cholesterol Center in Cincinnati. As well as talking to people who have seen him. Your testosterone level does not have to be out of wack to have PCOS.

I don't think her drs are really taking it seriously because of her age. They just tell her to lose weight and exercise.

I know some of headache issues must have to do with PCOS as well.

I have emailed Dr. Glueck so we will see what happens there.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Laura - Have they put her on BC? I''ve been on it since I was 16 to regulate my periods and my quality of life improved dramatically.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dani,

My daughter has another health condition that can become worse if taking birth control. That is why we hesitate on the BC. It may or may not become worse. If it becomes worse though.....it can take months to get her back to feeling well again. SO I am scared for her to try the BC.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Laura- I''m sorry to hear that.
40.gif
Hopefully they can come up with something to help her out. I''ll keep you both in my thoughts.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
I was just diagnosed with PCOS this week too. Thank goodness for this thread. My doc prescribed Metforin to start with. I was averaging 1 period a year for about the last 3 years. I never really thought anything of it, just thought it was hormonal imbalance, but it really didn''t bother me, I was young and not having a period every month was almost a blessing. I think I may have a lesser form as I don''t exhibit a lot of the symptoms. Most of mine have been weight gain and irregular periods, so I guess I got lucky there. Hopefully, Metforin willl help and then with a combo of a good BCP, I should be ok until we''re ready to try to conceive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results